Awoo.

Sonic Forces - Story Trailer (English and Japanese)

Ryusuke

I'll probably just echo what has already been said about Eggman wanting to destroy the world. It could be an exaggeration for the trailer, it could be a translation mistake or meant to mean something else.

Or it could be alluding to Eggman's plan that will get rid of the resistance "in 3 days."

I'm also not keen on Eggman being another insane destroyer like the other big baddies. Although if he is heavily motivated by hatred this time, he might do something reckless to guarantee the end of trouble makers. He didn't seem interested in the planets life being drained near the end of Lost World. Was there a global takeover plan in Colours, I can quite remember? It seemed more like a way to get rid of Sonic. Generations kinda felt like that too if I recall correctly, but it's been a while since I've played those games.

You know, a passing thought.

What if the reason Classic Sonic wasn't shown here as much is because... perhaps the modern canon is more popular in the Japanese fandom? One thing I've noticed just from seeing Japanese fanart and such is that there's a huge focus on the modern art style, Sonic's friends, etc. They don't seem nearly as hated or as controversial there as they do in the states, so perhaps this is why the trailer focuses on them more readily?

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

I'll be the asshole and say that even this didn't impress me at all really. So Infinite is created by Eggman, big whoop. Doesn't change the fact that we all know he's going to turn on him by the end. Everything else is the same crap we've seen before, including Sonic blabbing to the mute OC, Infinite coming straight from a fanfic, and other characters are here. 

zpIMGBw.jpg

And yeah this looks like it came from some kid's mod video on YouTube 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

On 9/14/2017 at 4:20 PM, Bowbowis said:

Why is it that when the subject of Eggman killing comes up people always run to the extremes and make him out to be either genocidal maniac or a harmless baddie who would never hurt a fly?

Personally I've always seen Eggman as somebody who's just apathetic to the idea of killing in general. He doesn't go out of his way to harm innocent bystanders but if people happen to die as a side effect of his actions (Station Square) or killing gives him a strategic advantage such as eliminating opposition (Prison Island) or getting leverage over others (Eclipse Cannon) he won't hesitate to follow through with it. He doesn't really care about casualties as long as he ends up with a planet and a reasonable number of subjects to rule. 

And then there's Sonic 2 8-bit...

Did he see Tails as a threat to his reign? 

6 hours ago, Clewis said:

Ah, I'm just used to seeing people give Roger praise due to his work on the Boom show, so that's probably why your comment stuck out to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sonic's Boom persona seems to have been designed around Roger in general, ESPECIALLY in the show! So that's why people are more happy there...

...but Sonic in general? People are gonna have there complaints, especially if there used to be better options in the past...

3 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

And then there's Sonix 2 8-bit...

Did he see Tails as a threat to his reign? 

oooooh a non-canon ending from a 25 year old 8-bit game, truly an example of Eggman's character 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

oooooh a non-canon ending from a 25 year old 8-bit game, truly an example of Eggman's character 

The same idiot who believes fiddler crabs and cicadas are suitable end-game guards for him. And that game isn't even made by Sonic Team.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

Are you saying Eggman wouldn't kill Tails if he had the chance?

1 minute ago, Alienrun said:

Are you saying Eggman wouldn't kill Tails if he had the chance?

He most likely wouldn't kill him in any case, but I was getting on Mira because I always see people bring up the Sonic 2 8-bit ending as some end-all example of Eggman being an evil bastard. We don't even know if he killed Tails, all it insinuates in my mind is that Sonic failed in his attempt and he'll have to try again. When you don't get all the chaos emeralds in any other game, you don't see Eggman blow up the Earth with the Death Egg or a laser or some shit. It's silly. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, ShroomZed said:

He most likely wouldn't kill him in any case, but I was getting on Mira because I always see people bring up the Sonic 2 8-bit ending as some end-all example of Eggman being an evil bastard. We don't even know if he killed Tails, all it insinuates in my mind is that Sonic failed in his attempt and he'll have to try again. When you don't get all the chaos emeralds in any other game, you don't see Eggman blow up the Earth with the Death Egg or a laser or some shit. It's silly. 

The end of Knux's Chaotix should be enough to suffice that thought...

It's obvious that Tails died there, Sega made other games at the time where the "bad ending" would be the main hero looking off in the distance at night with the person they failed to save now dead and seeing them in the stars. (Plus Sonic CD's ending implies something similar, so its not a one time only thing) I can provide a source if you want if you don't belive me, but I think back then Sega was more loose with story anyways...

Think of it this way, Eggman tries to kill sonic all the time, so what makes tails any different? Yes he plays the stereotypical "villian who only knows the main characters name" thing. But tails has proven to be just as much of a threat as Sonic, there's no reason he'd ignore him if he got in his way. As far as I'm concerned he wants all of sonic's friends dead...its just sonic's always the main dude to stop him...

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

When you don't get all the chaos emeralds in any other game, you don't see Eggman blow up the Earth with the Death Egg or a laser or some shit. It's silly. 

Well there is Knuckles Chaotix where if you fail to get the Chaos Rings it ends with a big red robot overseeing an entire city engulfed in flames. Not canon or relevant but just funny that they essentially did do that type of bad ending once.

• Thumbs Up 2

What makes me laugh at the fact that people wanting Eggman to be as menacing as possible is... we've been getting villains like that nonstop for the series, and they're almost universally panned. Lyric, Eggman Nega, Devil Doom, Mephiles, Zavok - all of them are "evil" to a T. And yet despite these people claiming that these oh so heinous acts! are what sets up a villain to be the best villains of the series, practically every single one of these villains are considered forgettably dull at best and painfully tryhard at worst. Adding this specific trait to a slightly goofier yet main villain is not going to change how ineffective it is at creating a good villain, and it certainly won't make Eggman of all characters a better character to be this one dimensional when his main problems aren't even addressed in the first place.

Seriously. Fascination with how egg-stremely evil Eggman is misses the point of the character entirely. Keep it to the fanfictions.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Alienrun said:

The end of Knux's Chaotix should be enough to suffice that thought...

It's obvious that Tails died there, Sega made other games at the time where the "bad ending" would be the main hero looking off in the distance at night with the person they failed to save now dead and seeing them in the stars. (Plus Sonic CD's ending implies something similar, so its not a one time only thing) I can provide a source if you want if you don't belive me, but I think back then Sega was more loose with story anyways...

Oh fucking Christ, no it's not obvious he died. Stop trying to make things darker in your head than they really are. The point of that scene was to show you failed and you haven't got Tails. He's not dead, there's nothing to imply he's dead. 

And I don't know what you're saying about CD, no one dies there. And even so with CD, Little Planet in it's distopian future was more due to Eggman's neglect of his infrastructure than a plan to intentionally make the place as big a shithole as possible. 

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

What makes me laugh at the fact that people wanting Eggman to be as menacing as possible is... we've been getting villains like that nonstop for the series, and they're almost universally panned. Lyric, Eggman Nega, Devil Doom, Mephiles, Zavok - all of them are "evil" to a T. And yet despite these people claiming that these oh so heinous acts! are what sets up a villain to be the best villains of the series, practically every single one of these villains are considered forgettably dull at best and painfully tryhard at worst. Adding this specific trait to a slightly goofier yet main villain is not going to change how ineffective it is at creating a good villain, and it certainly won't make Eggman of all characters a better character to be this one dimensional when his main problems aren't even addressed in the first place.

Seriously. Fascination with how egg-stremely evil Eggman is misses the point of the character entirely. Keep it to the fanfictions.

A lot of those same people actually do like Mephiles.  And yeah, maybe Sonic 2 8-bit is wrong, giving us an incorrect idea of the guy who thinks tiny cute green wide-eyed frogs with maces should guard his last base?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

Oh fucking Christ, no it's not obvious he died. Stop trying to make things darker in your head than they really are. The point of that scene was to show you failed and you haven't got Tails. He's not dead, there's nothing to imply he's dead. 

And I don't know what you're saying about CD, no one dies there. And even so with CD, Little Planet in it's distopian future was more due to Eggman's neglect of his infrastructure than a plan to intentionally make the place as big a shithole as possible. 

Here's my source I was talking about...

(Skip to 2:21 if you wanna get to the point)

A game made by sega, you succeed its day and you both look at the sunset, you fail and you by yourself see your lover dead. This is very basic symbolism, its not a matter of "looking too much into it". Sometimes artists put subtle things like that in games that so happen to tie into the story. There's a handheld kirby game that ends similarly...it doesn't spell it out for you like if your a baby, but if you put 2 and 2 together you can see you get screwed over if you get the bad ending. (hence why its a bad ending...)

Tails is kidnapped, Eggman's the bad guy...you don't get the fight the "true final boss" if you fail, this is the 3rd game in the series not counting Erazor...its not that complicated!

Put an ending like this in any other game and people would go "welp he's dead!" What makes sonic so f**king different?

(Also the CD thing would take way too long for me to explain so I won't bother...)

SO, what will the reaction be if/when it turns out we're getting frazzled by a mis-translation/comprehension of a subtitle on a Japanese trailer?

5 minutes ago, Alienrun said:

Here's my source I was talking about...

(Skip to 2:21 if you wanna get to the point)

A game made by sega, you succeed its day and you both look at the sunset, you fail and you by yourself see your lover dead. This is very basic symbolism, its not a matter of "looking too much into it". Sometimes artists put subtle things like that in games that so happen to tie into the story. There's a handheld kirby game that ends similarly...it doesn't spell it out for you like if your a baby, but if you put 2 and 2 together you can see you get screwed over if you get the bad ending. (hence why its a bad ending...)

Tails is kidnapped, Eggman's the bad guy...you don't get the fight the "true final boss" if you fail, this is the 3rd game in the series not counting Erazor...its not that complicated!

Put an ending like this in any other game and people would go "welp he's dead!" What makes sonic so f**king different?

(Also the CD thing would take way too long for me to explain so I won't bother...)

There's actually reason to believe that someone died here, since you see them bloody die. You don't see anyone die in Sonic 2 8-bit, and Eggman really isn't the sort just to kill off someone. He'd keep Tails held up wherever he is and use this to mock Sonic and to frustrate him. And besides just because one SEGA game did it doesn't mean anything. 

And I can put "2 and 2 together" like anyone else, I just don't choose the juvenile fanfic ending since it didn't happen. 

• Thumbs Up 4

36 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

.........so eggman wouldnt kill tails. Thank god I figured that warship bombing the ground behind me in sonic 3s first stage was just meant to be a friendly greeting. And that whole burning a entire island to the ground. That was just to get rid of a pesky bug infestation. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Meta77 said:

.........so eggman wouldnt kill tails. Thank god I figured that warship bombing the ground behind me in sonic 3s first stage was just meant to be a friendly greeting. And that whole burning a entire island to the ground. That was just to get rid of a pesky bug infestation. 

Yep, it was just to get rid of a pesky bug infestation. Because that's all Eggman can be, 100% benevolent or 100% evil. There's no complexity or cleverness in his head at all, he has to act like KILL EVIL DESTROY EVERYTHING HATE KILL at absolutely everything and at all times to be considered a threat. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

Eggman would kill Sonic or Tails if they were actively fighting him, sure.

But he's never, like, tried to just bomb Sonic's house while he was sleeping or anything. He wants Sonic dead, but he's at least sporting about it.

Sonic does not have a house. Sega stated that awhile back I was pretty sure. He may be a sport about it but he has stated time and time again its not to beat him he wants to kill off sonic.

I honestly think of Sonic and Eggman like how I do Tom and Jerry. When Jerry gets in Tom's way that's when shit hits the fan but in normal circumstances they're either apathetic to each other or even get along on some low level. 

• Thumbs Up 1