Awoo.

Sonic Forces - Story Trailer (English and Japanese)

Ryusuke

On 15/09/2017 at 4:51 PM, Shaddy the guy said:

what did the 3-day time limit in Heroes mean again?

It was Metal Sonic baiting Sonic to copy his data, don't think it had any importance, since we didn't even see the passage of time in Heroes.

12 hours ago, DanisWhite said:

Yeah, the lighting is super basic. It's like a spotlight is being shined on Sonic. The only reason why I like this cutscene because it's actually dynamic with the camera work and animation compare to the other cutscenes so far.

Agreed! I pointed out earlier how that particular scene stood out as something that looked really cool and dynamic. Some of the other cutscenes shown had the characters just standing there in these boring poses with blank expressions. I want to say it reminded me of Sonic 06, but can you believe it they actually had more movement and gestures than this from the looks of it! (besides the blank expressions lol)

EDIT: oh yah, forgot to add that in the case of lightning it does seem pretty basic. But I think it's been like this since Colours or Generations.

I find it ironic that one of the main selling points of the original Hedgehog Engine was it's global illumination technology. And here we are with an advanced version of said engine on superior hardware and the cutscene lighting has only stagnated at best! Proof that technology isn't everything if the team isn't at 100% I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, the engine does show an improvement in some details, such as the waterpools and their reflection at the start of Modern Sonic's city level.
maxresdefault.jpg

Too bad 99% of the rest of the game takes inspiration from Sonic Lost World's art direction, for some reason.
Altough to be fair, since you're either running at mad speeds in 3d, or the game takes a far distance from the action in it's 2d sections, all the clever details and technical marvels will go unnoticed anyway.
Cutscenes, on the other hand... They have less of an excuse.

• Thumbs Up 8

I mean, the game visually is perfectly fine. I can look at it and be like "Yeah, this look good for this current generation." Though, it's hard to compare this to Unleashed since I feel they're going for different directions for the visuals? Forces seem more focus on having crazy background effects (Such as the giant death egg robots attacking the city and fireballs being rained down while you run through the stage) while Unleashed was going for a realistic look and overall, trying to make the stage look more natural.  

Perhaps everyone except for Sonic, Tails and Eggman will be the ones to die so Sonic Team has an excuse not to let them turn up in anymore games.

I dunno what better lighting would change; the story and the levels would still be the same. If you didn't like the game before, you're not gonna like it because it looks prettier.

19 minutes ago, Dizcrybe said:

I dunno what better lighting would change; the story and the levels would still be the same. If you didn't like the game before, you're not gonna like it because it looks prettier.

I don't really have anything against lighting right now. But this is a rather dumb thing to say. If the game looked prettier, it would be one less thing going against it and another thing going for it. Where on Earth are you getting the idea that anyone thinks that improving the visuals will suddenly make the game likeable?

• Thumbs Up 2

Looking at Infinite's trailer again

The moment where the Avatar "reaches" for Infinite is the same one from the ending of the story trailer ( in the blue level)

The scene when Infinite gets close to the Avatar is the same cutscene

1. Infinite gets close to the Avatar
2. Avatar gets away
3. Avatar tests Infinite by reaching for a fist bump (Might be their friendship sign or something if the theory is true)
4. Infinite denies

It makes sense. (not only that but Sonic might appear later on the cutscene to protect the Avatar)

And also...

The levels we have seen so far could be

Ruined City

Green Hill

??? Blue Metropolis (Infinite and Avatar scene)

??? Night Forest (The one where Infinite introduces himself in the trailer)

??? Dark Mountains base (The one with Knuckles and the resistance and probably the same one from the last black and white scene from Infinite's trailer)

Uh... Mecha Labyrinth Zone??? (The one with Sonic talking to Infinite might not even be the same cutscene! It looks completely different from the forest. And it also really similar to Labyrinth Zone from Sonic 1! What if that's a returning stage?)

...Death Egg (Mach)??? (The scene where Sonic is falling might be the Death Egg, and it would be a crime not to have it playable.)

So yeah, maybe there is at least 7 stages with 4 acts each! Is just speculation though.

9 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Looking at Infinite's trailer again

The moment where the Avatar "reaches" for Infinite is the same one from the ending of the story trailer ( in the blue level)

The scene when Infinite gets close to the Avatar is the same cutscene

1. Infinite gets close to the Avatar
2. Avatar gets away
3. Avatar tests Infinite by reaching for a fist bump (Might be their friendship sign or something if the theory is true)
4. Infinite denies

It makes sense. (not only that but Sonic might appear later on the cutscene to protect the Avatar)

And also...

The levels we have seen so far could be

Ruined City

Green Hill

??? Blue Metropolis (Infinite and Avatar scene)

??? Night Forest (The one where Infinite introduces himself in the trailer)

??? Dark Mountains base (The one with Knuckles and the resistance and probably the same one from the last black and white scene from Infinite's trailer)

Uh... Mecha Labyrinth Zone??? (The one with Sonic talking to Infinite might not even be the same cutscene! It looks completely different from the forest. And it also really similar to Labyrinth Zone from Sonic 1! What if that's a returning stage?)

...Death Egg (Mach)??? (The scene where Sonic is falling might be the Death Egg, and it would be a crime not to have it playable.)

So yeah, maybe there is at least 7 stages with 4 acts each! Is just speculation though.

You forgot that one stage where infinite is in with all that machinery floating around a tall structure.

3 minutes ago, A Hyper KING heavy engine said:

You forgot that one stage where infinite is in with all that machinery floating around a tall structure.

Might be the same stage from the "Dark mountains base"

Stages I saw in the trailers:

- City Heights

- Green Hill

- Night Forest (Infinite trailer)

- Blue Hexagon (Story trailer)

- Techno Metropolis (Infinite trailer)

- Yellow Palace (Infinite trailer)

- Death Egg (Story trailer)

9 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Too bad 99% of the rest of the game takes inspiration from Sonic Lost World's art direction, for some reason.

See, I wouldn't say this is a bad thing at all. Personally I prefer the Lost World aesthetic; it just has more charm than Generations' style, which just looks kind of sterile now. It's not straight up Lost World style, but I think they're going for a mix between both and I think it looks pretty good.

It's just a shame to see people look at a simpler art style and mark it down as being technically inferior. That's not the case at all...?

The lighting engine does suck though. Real bad downgrade from Unleashed's. Was really hoping that Project 2017 would've been the one that surpassed it.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, JingleBoy said:

See, I wouldn't say this is a bad thing at all. Personally I prefer the Lost World aesthetic; it just has more charm than Generations' style, which just looks kind of sterile now. It's not straight up Lost World style, but I think they're going for a mix between both and I think it looks pretty good.

It's just a shame to see people look at a simpler art style and mark it down as being technically inferior. That's not the case at all...?

The lighting engine does suck though. Real bad downgrade from Unleashed's. Was really hoping that Project 2017 would've been the one that surpassed it.

The shadow contrast isn't as great as Unleashed, but the lighting in general is definitely sharper and more complex. Look at the god rays that ripple around the giant crab, for example. Contrast that with the awkward and hazy god rays of Unleashed. 

In a recent interview with famitsu concerning the story, Nakamura had this to say:

Some people might be wondering why Shadow is on the enemy’s side, but they can find out more by experiencing the story.

Not surprising that there's actually going to be a story explanation for that.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201706/14135044.html

http://nintendoeverything.com/sonic-forces-devs-on-the-custom-character-and-story-plus-more-brief-talk-about-sonic-mania/

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

its just no one believes it wont be bullshit.

Could you elucidate this claim? I take it you mean, something that would contradict the canon, which doesn't appear to be the case if there;s an explanation for it.

Is going to be a pretty simple explanation like Omega and Rouge got captured and he wants to save them but got "brainwashed" trying to do that or something like that...

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It may not violate canon, but it's probably going to be stupid.

It could also Violate canon and be stupid

It could also not violate canon and be nothing. 

So many terrible options. 

What's worse is, if their take is terribly received. They might take it is as people don't like shadow anymore and make him appear less. Because sega doesn't learn correctly

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It may not violate canon, but it's probably going to be stupid.

How so though? Like assuming that brainwashing is the reason, what's so wrong about it?

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

What's worse is, if their take is terribly received.

Honestly at this point, even if it's perfectly fine, some people are going to find it in whatever they consider "stupid" at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Joseph Henry said:

Is going to be a pretty simple explanation like Omega and Rouge got captured and he wants to save them but got "brainwashed" trying to do that or something like that...

Related to this, what's slightly less worse than the above, as this is a very obvious hook to try and get people " invested in sonic stories" to play the game, but given how wack it looks it might not work, and given how obvious the set up seems that particular thing might work less.

Sega's not good at reading the room and the room was " hey I haven't played as this character in a while or seen them so instead of coming up with dumb betrayal stories why don't you let me hang out or play with this character or let them do cool shit because I haven't seen them in a long time" or as tumblr put it " Shadow get the fuck off that rock you little shit!" 

Sega's not good at like, understanding what people want at appropriate times... or at all really. 

Just now, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Honestly at this point, even if it's perfectly fine, some people are going to find it in whatever they consider "stupid" at this point.

You can tell though. Even in sonic 06, before ROL the god  king of bad sonic games, folks were like" hey shadow's story in this game is kind of dope" . Some people will hate it, but people tend even with plot contrivances recognize when its something like narrative wise in sonic. Its why when shadow popped in boom the meme of that version of shadow is " why do I exist" while yeah there will be people who hate shit just to hate shit. Or don't like shadow, or anything post classic. The folks who genuinely like that sort of stuff, If they like it, they will come through. if they don't they'll shit on t and rightfully so. 

12 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Related to this, what's slightly less worse than the above, as this is a very obvious hook to try and get people " invested in sonic stories" to play the game, but given how wack it looks it might not work, and given how obvious the set up seems that particular thing might work less.

Sega's not good at reading the room and the room was " hey I haven't played as this character in a while or seen them so instead of coming up with dumb betrayal stories why don't you let me hang out or play with this character or let them do cool shit because I haven't seen them in a long time" or as tumblr put it " Shadow get the fuck off that rock you little shit!" 

Sega's not good at like, understanding what people want at appropriate times... or at all really. 

You can tell though. Even in sonic 06, before ROL the god  king of bad sonic games, folks were like" hey shadow's story in this game is kind of dope" . Some people will hate it, but people tend even with plot contrivances recognize when its something like narrative wise in sonic. Its why when shadow popped in boom the meme of that version of shadow is " why do I exist" while yeah there will be people who hate shit just to hate shit. Or don't like shadow, or anything post classic. The folks who genuinely like that sort of stuff, If they like it, they will come through. if they don't they'll shit on t and rightfully so. 

Funny because the writer is reaching for the japanese audience. Who LOVES Shadow. He knows what he is doing. Is not like Pontaff or the Boom writers who don't know what to do with him. Shun Nakamura is a pretty big fan of Shadow.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

How so though? Like assuming that brainwashing is the reason, what's so wrong about it?

Because the potentially interesting question is "why is Shadow, well established as a hero at this point, siding with villains who are destroying cities and taking over the world?". And the answer we'll likely be getting is "he's not, some jerk just magicked his brain". That's not an interesting answer. That's not revealing some new side to the character. That's not building on some known aspect of the character. That's just making him into a puppet.

A better series might still be able to work with that, wringing pathos out of a friend and ally having their will stripped away and turned against the heroes. But we've fought Shadow plenty of times before, and we all know he's not going to be seriously hurt, so the player's not going to be bothered by having to knock some sense into him. There's not going to be any kind of meaningful consequence to this, it's just an excuse for a boss fight.

• Thumbs Up 9