Awoo.

Sonic Forces - Story Trailer (English and Japanese)

Ryusuke

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

They literally could have showed this at the Nintendo direct that was just a few hours before this. Smart SEGA. Smart 

Was the Nintendo Direct offering them a spotlight this long? I saw the mention Forces got and it was like... 5 seconds. Is that something that's up to SEGA or... how does that work? 

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh my lord...oh my lord....this is amazing...I knew from day one this would be our first legit good Sonic story since Unleased and Black Knight.

I don't even know what to say...there's too awesome shit shown that I can't say it all til I watch it again.

I love you Nakamura, I don't care if 06's story was bad or if your Classic Sonic decision was stupid (it still is :U) but I REALLY REALLY hope this will be a new direction storywise.

now. on to the geek out.

WHATISHAPPENING HERE!? ANIMAL NPCS! ROUGE CONFIRMED! SONIC CAST ALL TOGETHER AND ACTUALLY TALKING!? WAS INFINITE CREATED BY EGGMAN!? ORBOT AND CUBOT CONFIRMED!? KNUCKLES BEING A SMUG ASS AND SLAPPING THE CAC! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Also, it's gotta be a troll move that Nintendo showed us jack shit while SEGA blew our minds moments later.

No idea it would be a build up lol.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

In a way the plot being interesting doesn't surprise me, compared to everything else the game has to offer, if only due to how earnest Nakamura has been in showing off his story details on twitter so far, and how proud he is of the game's premise overall.

Who knew bringing on a member of the team who is actually passionate about stuff, despite his past failings, would make something that people would find appeal in just from concept alone?

In fact, I wonder if there's a whole era of Sonic where this kind of example can be found in full force, and is the main reason people enjoy it so much?

tenor.gif

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Well that's definitely the best trailer so far. I have to admit that while I'm still really not crazy about the gameplay, I'm... mildly interested in the story now? 

• Thumbs Up 6

So....are we just gonna ignore the fact that they changed Infinite's textures...again.

Like seriously, what is up with that.

Yeah, boy, that's what I'm talking about. Give us a meaty story, Sonic Team. C'mon. I know ya wanna this time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well then, I'm curious on the story but not sold on the game as whole yet.

Also as far as I can recall? This is our first time seeing other Non-Human Anthro characters not from the main cast intergrated into the plot that are not from comic series, TV shows, etc. Since... Ever! So thats a first I guess?

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

So....are we just gonna ignore the fact that they changed Infinite's textures...again.

I think it's just a fix that was done. To me, the shading and glow always looked off and unfinished on him in the other trailer.

• Thumbs Up 1

While it's nice to see some actual effort being put into the promotion of this game, the big problems I see in regards to the presentation of the narrative are the cutscene direction and the animation. The former is pretty pedestrian, and doesn't really do a lot to really enhance or heighten the drama in any way (this was evident from the Enter Infinite video as well). It very much carries over the "Saturday morning cartoon" style of direction that we saw in Lost World's cutscenes; lots of simple pans, still shots, and a loooot of close-ups. The camera just isn't lending a sense of any sort of significant sense of dynamism to most scenes. And as for the animation, it's also reminiscent of the way that we saw Lost World's cutscenes animate, but it simply doesn't suit the more grounded approach they're going for. The more naturalistic character movements and direction that we saw in Unleashed would be more appropriate for this game. Hell, even taking inspiration from SA2's cutscenes would do wonders (as that game actually had some flair to its presentation).

Can't say much more without actually knowing what the characters are saying, but those are my main takeaways for now.

Edit: And as an aside that moment where Knuckles rallies everyone almost looks like something out of G-Mod with how lifeless everything is.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

Whoa wait: Sega is actually using its established characters in a new game and having them interact with each other? What is this sorcery!? It took long enough

Lookin' pretty good so far! Part of me figured Eggman would alter Infinite to bend to his will or something, I can't see anything that's sentient willing to work for him unless they have an ulterior motive. 

Also glad to see ol' Knuckles being more like Knuckles again besides a bumbling meathead he's been as of late.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

DJpD0SAUMAEsJWX.jpg:large

DJpD0R-UQAAH6Hm.jpg:large

General game polish

Infinite's Aura effect in past trailers looked butt ugly before imo. Looks kinda decent by now, though I dunno how it makes the color of the mask darker than it is... Unless

it's the same negative effect the Ruby has on color in Mania

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 2

I just hope they do something meaningful with Classic Sonic's inclusion. If they went out of their way to include him, it should be because they have a purpose for him.

This trailer makes him feel like an afterthought.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Rush Adventure did it first.

...In a 3D mainline Series title established in Sonic's Dimension not completely retconed by shitty writing...

eef.png

Cut me some slack, I don't keep up with this Series, """"""" deep lore"""""" .

Edited by Shiguy
Further Clarification
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 2

Yeah, I do agree that the modeling and animation of the characters continues to be a gripe I have with these games. If there was anything I could actually commend Rise of Lyric for it'd certainly be that.

It's not god awful or anything but after witnessing so much better in a lot of recent games, I do kind of wish to see something more fluid and bouncy. Sonic's series shouldn't look as stiff as it does sometimes.

Goddamn though, if it isn't swell seeing the gang talking to one another again. It's still astonishing that they were all in Generations and never once did Sonic have a single spoken line to any of them aside from Tails. 

• Thumbs Up 8

The villain reveal trailer hyped me up way more then this story trailer personally. Nothing shown interested me here to much. I also don't feel this confirms Infinite is in fact made by Dr.Eggman...

Spoiler

The more likely answer is Robotnik just fused the phantom ruby into whoever the character was originally.... I'll laugh if the fan theory of it being a ruby corrupted Blaze ends up true! but i doubt Sonic Team would do that honestly. ...but it does leave the question of where the hell is she at? Not enough cake for her to show up this time? xD

The expressions of the characters are still to stiff for my liking too. Sonic Team needs to learn how to liven up their character animations.

The guy that's replaced Chikao Ohtsuka does a pretty good job as Eggman. He certainly sounds more sinister, but that might just be this game's direction.

EDIT: Also, I thought Classic Sonic was boosting for a second, but upon closer inspection, it's just more annoying 2-D Sections for the Modern gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

2921100-thatsrad.gif

This trailer actually got me excited for Forces holy crap. Then after watching it again I think that the plot is gonna be the best part about this game since it looks like they're actually trying. Not expecting anything grand but it is nice to see that the other characters look like they're actually going to be doing something. 

The gameplay is still looks meh and I'm still annoyed the only tidbits of gameplay that we saw was Green Hill Zone and Park Avenue despite the fact that they showed a cutscene revealing a new world.  And it becomes more and more noticeable that classic sonic was pretty much shoe horned in to pad out the game.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'd be lying if I said that this trailer didn't hype me up! I'm glad to see other characters get some spotlight. But I will say this, I wish tails didn't look like he was cowering in fear early in the trailer. I expected a braver reaction from him. This guy jumped into danger to save his friend twice. What's with him now?

• Thumbs Up 1