Awoo.

Sonic Forces - Story Trailer (English and Japanese)

Ryusuke

Pretty sure they simply dubbed over the trailer and didn't change anything else. I feel like it was a Japanese specific trailer at first. This likely means the lip syncing was made with Japanese voices in mind rather than English ones compared to the norm.

• Thumbs Up 4

The English dialogue doesn't hype me up the way the Japanese dialogue did. I could narrow that down either to the Japanese cast sounding more enthusiastic and excited in their roles or that the dubbing feels off on some parts. Eitherway, I'll play the first time in English and every other time in Japanese. I don't like Sonic's casting anymore outside of Mike Pollock as Eggman. Hope Sega keeps him forever.

The voice acting did seem weird, but I think that that's only because we're hearing chopped up lines overlaid to scenes out of context. The voices alone don't sound bad.

And lol Infinite is such edge. I honestly thought that Sonic was past this...

Ugh, I regret watching the JP ver so many times cause frankly the voice placing here sounds really off and awkward due to how fast every clip is going in the trailer.

The VAs themselves are doing great performances so far though! They really know how to make the cast so serious in this situation and the deliveries are really good. Escpically from Knux, Silv, and Eggs Benedict.

Mike Pollock is his hammy self as usual I see.

I can't believe they're playing Infinite's edge so straight it's amazing.

Some things of note in the English trailer. Eggman calls Infinite "this invincible instrument of destruction". That seems to suggest that Infinite is an artificial being, rather than someone Eggman found like some others were suggesting. Also a few lines are different compared to the Japanese version. But that's really all I got. It's an alright trailer, but I just hope that we see more gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's funny, with the Japanese trailer I actually became a bit interested in seeing how the story would play out, since the VA work gave it an unintentionally silly, over-the-top sort of vibe. It had a bit of charm, to say the least. Also this is coming from someone who barely ever watches anime, if that means anything.

But with this trailer, the game's plot just comes across as being incredibly lousy again? Perhaps it's because I'm used to western media being a bit more tongue in cheek about anime-esque narratives, that it makes certain parts of this game feel lame and out of touch (namely Infinite) since they're being played completely straight.

Weird how something as small as a change in language also ended up changing my viewpoint on the game's presentation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thumbs Up 3

After watching this and the Japanese trailer many times, I can safely say that the Japanese voice actors are 10 times better than the English ones.

Also, Silver's line in Japanese, "There is hope, don't get discouraged!" was changed to "We have to show them that strength doesn't just come from numbers," which was followed by attacking Eggman's base with a massive army.

What's the point of this change? The Japanese line, while cliche, sounds much better. This was obviously rushed, so I hope they fix their localization.

• Thumbs Up 6

12 minutes ago, Balding Spider said:

I don't get what makes this less interesting than the Japanese one.

You and me both.

• Thumbs Up 1

I definitely like the JP version over the English one I felt more deep tone and serious feel compare to the English one which felt more casual I did like the "this invincible instrument of destruction" which further confirms Infinite IS artificially made but oh well I can change the audio to my preference.

I thought it sounded great. The Eggman and Sonic really seem in top form, probably thanks to the cartoon series. I also appreciate the liberties taken with the translation that give things a bit more flair, for example Eggman's line and Silver's line about Green Hill. 

On 9/14/2017 at 8:38 PM, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

SO, what will the reaction be if/when it turns out we're getting frazzled by a mis-translation/comprehension of a subtitle on a Japanese trailer?

So far seems to be relief.  Anyway,  you can rest easy now @Dr. Mechano

I really cannot stand Roger Craig Smith--like, for anything he does. Every voice he does it feels like he's trying to over-stress himself to make him sound more heroic. I've never had this issue with a VA before. He sticks out like a sore thumb and takes me out of everything I'm watching.

Other than that, Silver and Eggman sounded great. Knuckles was a little off. 

• Thumbs Up 3

This is an issue with foreign dubs.

When we heard the Japanese dub, we didn't understand much since most of us don't speak Japanese, so it sounded cool, and lines delivery sounded better. Once you see the trailer in a language you actually understand, with no subtitles, it comes off as cringey... because it is. And it's like that in Japanese too, the English voice actors are pretty good at their job.

They're not the issue here.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 1

1 minute ago, Sonikko said:

When we heard the Japanese dub, we didn't understand much since most of us don't speak Japanese, so it sounded cool, and lines delivery sounded better. Once you see the trailer in a language you actually understand, with no subtitles, it comes off as cringey... because it is. And it's like that in Japanese too, the English voice actors are pretty good at their job.

Oh yeah, I think you speak/understand Japanese didn't you? Or was that a different person I'm thinking of that had a username similar to you?

4 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Having at least a basic understanding the language, this is kind of untrue. It has more to do with delivery, the voices themselves, and the line reading.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Oh yeah, I think you speak/understand Japanese didn't you? Or was that a different person I'm thinking of that had a username similar to you?

No I don't, but I've had that happen to me countless times with English -> Italian dubs. Sometimes the voice actors are pretty good, their delivery is spot on, but the dialogue is bad, so hearing it in a languge that you don't understand/ is not your mother tongue, makes it sound better, simply because you don't actually "realize" what they're saying.

I'm not sure I explained it well, hope it's clear lol.

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Having at least a basic understanding the language, this is kind of untrue. It has more to do with delivery, the voices themselves, and the line reading.

I see! The VAs are doing a pretty good job in Boom, so I assumed they're good at what they do. My bad!

My point still stands though, maybe not in this case, but it does happen.

Excuse me for saying this but what the fuck did they do to that trailer?! It was amazing when I saw the original, but this is so amateurish it's laughable. The sound doesn't fit with the footage both in terms of audio sync and quality, and Knuckles cuts off Silver's line before he's even finished it ala Sonic Adventure 2.

This is the first time anything Sonic Forces related has disappointed me.

• Thumbs Up 5

This trailer felt a little... off to me. Maybe it was the editing?

Hopefully these lines will sound better in the actual game.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1