Awoo.

Characters you think are currently popular

Dash Speed

Sonic Mania showed me that theirs new life in restoring the sonic community, however there's still a matter of not knowing who gets more positive fan reception with the fanbases today with the most popular characters like Knuckles and Shadow for example being strong long lasting fan favorites but characters like blaze and metal sonic have more vocal fans requesting them playable in being playable.

I still don't know who better with fans nowadays baring sonic and eggman. Which character has more backing my them up without naysayers recently.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

What are we defining as "popular" here?

Like I said, who's a fan favorite based on today. Maybe consistency of bigger fan support from both the fandom and the developers.

I really truly think Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are more loved than Shadow is now, Shadow doesnt have as much support from male fans as he used to, and hes not even used as much only a boss fight.

Eggman, though he wasn't always.

In the Heroes/Shadow/2k6 era, Eggman was widely disliked or even outright ignored by the fanbase. And before that, the way "Dr. Robotnik" was marketed in the west as an inhumanely evil monster didn't earn him many fans either. 

Today, though, Eggman is a beloved character by devoted and casual fans alike. Many people consider him one of the best characters of the franchise, if not the best. And let me tell you, as an Eggman fan who had to live through the so-called "Eggman dark age" of the mid-to-late 2000s, it feels good to see the Doc's finally getting the recognition he deserves.

• Promotion 2

Determining what Sonic characters are popular is indeed a bit challenging since I've noticed almost every character has at least a few vocal supporters. Blaze, Silver, the Chaotix, Cream, Sticks, even Big - all things considered, none of these characters are super-duper big fan favorites (some of them have major dissenters, some are just overlooked a lot), but you can find plenty of people who absolutely love them. To an extent, this even goes for obscure characters with just a few minor appearances to their name, such as the Babylon Rogues, Mighty, Nack, Bean, or Bark.

It does seem evident that Shadow's popularity has been going downhill for quite some time, in part because of backlash towards attempts at serious storytelling in Sonic and even to the modern era in general, seeing as he's almost certainly the most popular character introduced in the modern era as well as a "poster child" of the aforementioned seriousness which many see as a plague of the modern era. FWIW, personally, I can't hate Shadow even though I'm a bit sympathetic to some of these complaints. In fact, while I like a fair few characters - Knuckles, Sonic, Tails, and the Chaotix including Mighty - more than him, he's honestly probably my favorite behind those.

So yeah, Tails and Knuckles being more popular than Shadow now definitely seems like an accurate assessment to me. Though, I'm definitely not an expert on these things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tails being more popular than Shadow I can definitely see. Knuckles being more popular than Shadow...I would still question that one. 

Well, besides the obvious choice of Sonic, since he's the protagonist; I'd like to think that his sidekick is the most popular.

Tails the Fox has been a prominent character in almost every modern Sonic game. He's there helping the team with his inventions and navigation. In a way, I'd say it would be difficult to have a regular Sonic game without Tails being involved at this point. He's just a staple of the series and it would be strange to not see him involved. Imagine a game without Tails in it at all; People would naturally raise an eyebrow, compared to if a game didn't have Silver or Amy.

Besides him being one of the main characters, he's a very likable one at that and he's someone that both younger and older audiences can relate to. After all, Tails is a kid and often gets undermined for his small and frail stature. However, he's mature and usually knows what's up when it comes to Eggman's evil schemes(depending on the game.) He was there almost since the beginning and a lot of adults nowadays grew up playing Sonic 2 and onward. But even if nostalgia hadn't plagued their minds, as I said before, Tails is a very relatable character that many can connect with.

I believe his popularity would be more long-lasting, compared to some of the hot topics of the Sonic world right now. However, with his inclusion in Sonic Mania and Forces, there's no way he's out of people's thoughts. I remember when everyone was(and still is to an extent) freaking out about Tails' potential passing in Sonic Forces. If people didn't care about him, there's no way that situation would've blown up as bad as it did.

Either way, that's just what I believe. Of course, I'm probably wrong. I can still see Shadow, Knuckles or even Blaze being popular choices.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Tails being more popular than Shadow I can definitely see. Knuckles being more popular than Shadow...I would still question that one. 

You might be right, I am biased in Rad Red's favor. xP

Wouldn't surprise me though if Knuckles popularity shot up a little bit due to his Sonic Boom incarnation, where as the idiot of the group, he tends to get alot of the best lines. Although I suppose ironically that might rile up people who love Knuckles from the games and prefer him as being the strong protector type who isn't smart but isn't an idiot either, which can be overplayed, and I guess you could argue the 2 incarnations are too different to be similar.

Speaking of Boom though, it really wouldn't surprise me if after that show ends, Sticks winds up as a bit a fan favourite. Again, she tends to get alot of great lines and I think it helps that she is basically on par with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy as they are meant to be an ensemble. With the exception of SaTam, I think she will have a bit of a bigger impact than any of the show-only characters seen in stuff like X and Underground.

I feel like this is too broad a question, but I'd definitely wager Sonic Tails and Eggman are among the top...ya know, since they're the only characters Sega seems to give a damn about anymore.

Shadow's definitely lost a lot of popularity though. He's only really fondly remembered for what he was in SA2, and is generally considered the poster child when somebody needs a scapegoat for what's wrong with the modern era. That said, he's still the most popular character out of the modern era, if that still matters.

• Thumbs Up 2

You can further sub-divide this question into who's popular with which group of fans.

In the general Sonic fandom that visits sites like SSMB or Retro, I'd say the most popular are probably Sonic and Eggman, with Tails and Knuckles next in line. These are the classic characters from the original trilogy (while CD is popular, it's presence on the CD rather than the Mega Drive hurt how many people grew up with it I think) and therefore much of the adult Sonic audience that frequents these kinds of places prefer that set of characters. It's also why this is probably the same group of popular characters amongst the general gaming public. There was an interview not too long ago where I reporter told a member of Sonic Team's development (Iizuka?) that Forces prompted them to find Shadow and they didn't want to. This group doesn't care much about the characters that were introduced later, just who them remember from when they were younger.

That said, that audience is now in their 20s and 30s - not Sega's target demographic. Amongst kids, I think it's fair to say Sonic's still most popular but Shadow is still next on that list. Ian Flynn confirmed Shadow would have been the only logical Sega character to get a spin-off comic due to his popularity and Shadow is the only modern introduced character to consistently show up in other recent spin-off material like All-Stars Racing Transformed or Boom, not to mention his role as an assist trophy in Smash twice now. Clearly Sega recognizes that Shadow's presence will get kids interested, even if he's not as lightning in a bottle like he was around 2001-2006. I predict he'd be in even more stuff if not for his association with seriousness and how Sega's been trying more and more to distance themselves with that in an attempt to appeal to that previously mentioned Classic nostalgia crowd (though Forces is more in line with serious Sonic, likely due to the failure of the light hearted Lost World and Boom). After Shadow, I think you've got Tails and Knuckles again and then probably Amy, Eggman, and Metal Sonic - the major characters in the franchise. After that though, while there's a steep drop off amongst the older fans, kids seem to like characters like Blaze, Silver, and the Chaotix - the other supporting cast that have a sort of coolness factor.

Chris Thorndyke is a popular character.

Spoiler

Most don't like him though kek.

If I had to choose another, it'd be Mephiles. Infinite=Mephiles theories have been shooting up, and hey Mephiles was a pretty coo villain.

I'd often get called out on the SEGA Boards by a particular poster who recognized how salty I was at the fact that Blaze was so popular. 

I don't hate Blaze at all but I do realize that I do tend to have an issue with just how insanely popular she is. Most likely because it adds to that feeling that the world is against me. I had it also pointed out by a different poster there that the characters I consider my favorites are unique because they're typically not what other people would choose for their Top 5 and in such a strange order too. 

Eggman, Charmy, Vector, Omega, and Tails.

Yet, even though that person meant it as a compliment towards myself as my own individual, realistically I saw that as a bad thing because I knew it meant that I wouldn't get to see some of them as often. Eggman's the main villain so there's never any worry there but Charmy? Goddamn Omega?

So whenever I saw people pining for Blaze to be put in everything, even games where it made no sense for her to be there, I'd end up ringing salt out of the folds of my fingers whenever I'd try and combat this by saying that "She's in the Sol Dimension" or whatever. I do still think that's a valid point most of the time. Her being in Generations makes little sense and her remembering Crisis City makes even less. 

That's another reason why I ended up being so at odds with people. Everytime she shows up, it's either due to someone at Sonic Team having fucked up her story or her appearance is somehow fucking up the story of the game she's in. 06 was an example of the former and Generations the later (though Generations clearly didn't give a shit about it's story one way or the other so that's not a huge loss).

And now everyone on Youtube and on the Sonic-Official livestream I saw today kept yelling "IS BLAZE IN SONIC FORCES!" Like they don't even care if they pull another 06 and have her in the game when they possibly might not have written it in a way that having her around would make sense. 

There's even a discussion video about it on Youtube. And I even saw two comments bringing up the fact that Charmy was in it so why not Blaze?

It's just the perfect storm of things to make me jealous. I want whatever shit her fans have because good God. I'd be seen as a freak on there had I done that for Charmy. I do it all the time on here but you guys are cool so it doesn't matter.

So she's definitely one. She's on the lower end of the totem pole for me personally. Her personality type doesn't gel with me much really and it doesn't help that 06 was my first impression of her despite finding out what she was like in Rush and noticing the difference but not feeling it enough for it to matter.

That said, I've drawn her plenty and I still spent 20 bucks just to get my hands on an action figure of her. Which is funny since I didn't bother when it came to the Big figure even though I like Big too. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'd often get called out on the SEGA Boards by a particular poster who recognized how salty I was at the fact that Blaze was so popular. 

I don't hate Blaze at all but I do realize that I do tend to have an issue with just how insanely popular she is. Most likely because it adds to that feeling that the world is against me. I had it also pointed out by a different poster there that the characters I consider my favorites are unique because they're typically not what other people would choose for their Top 5 and in such a strange order too. 

Eggman, Charmy, Vector, Omega, and Tails.

Yet, even though that person meant it as a compliment towards myself as my own individual, realistically I saw that as a bad thing because I knew it meant that I wouldn't get to see some of them as often. Eggman's the main villain so there's never any worry there but Charmy? Goddamn Omega?

So whenever I saw people pining for Blaze to be put in everything, even games where it made no sense for her to be there, I'd end up ringing salt out of the folds of my fingers whenever I'd try and combat this by saying that "She's in the Sol Dimension" or whatever. I do still think that's a valid point most of the time. Her being in Generations makes little sense and her remembering Crisis City makes even less. 

That's another reason why I ended up being so at odds with people. Everytime she shows up, it's either due to someone at Sonic Team having fucked up her story or her appearance is somehow fucking up the story of the game she's in. 06 was an example of the former and Generations the later (though Generations clearly didn't give a shit about it's story one way or the other so that's not a huge loss).

And now everyone on Youtube and on the Sonic-Official livestream I saw today kept yelling "IS BLAZE IN SONIC FORCES!" Like they don't even care if they pull another 06 and have her in the game when they possibly might not have written it in a way that having her around would make sense. 

There's even a discussion video about it on Youtube. And I even saw two comments bringing up the fact that Charmy was in it so why not Blaze?

It's just the perfect storm of things to make me jealous. I want whatever shit her fans have because good God. I'd be seen as a freak on there had I done that for Charmy. I do it all the time on here but you guys are cool so it doesn't matter.

So she's definitely one. She's on the lower end of the totem pole for me personally. Her personality type doesn't gel with me much really and it doesn't help that 06 was my first impression of her despite finding out what she was like in Rush and noticing the difference but not feeling it enough for it to matter.

That said, I've drawn her plenty and I still spent 20 bucks just to get my hands on an action figure of her. Which is funny since I didn't bother when it came to the Big figure even though I like Big too. 

...Why does it matter to you if she's popular or not? People like her, that's all there is to it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

7 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

...Why does it matter to you if she's popular or not? People like her, that's all there is to it.

I just explained why. It's all in that post you're quoting.

I guess I knew that huge explanation I gave somehow wouldn't satisfy some people. She's just that popular.

She's lucky to have you all. I'm super jealous. I want what those Blaze fans have so goddamn much when it comes to some of the ones I love.

I think it's because your post is kind of confusing due to the selfish nature of it (not an insult, just establishing the conceit). You're jealous that more people like Blaze than Charmy and Omega. Okay. I'm a huge fan of Chris Thorndyke obviously, but I think it's clear he's not exactly a fan favorite in these circles (whether he's popular among kids I don't know, I don't think he is, or at least I'd be surprised if he was. I like his character's personality and arc but he's pretty much the last thing you'd want to see if you wanted to watch a show about Sonic at the age of 10). Even though I get tired of seeing the same arguments against Chris over and over again, I'm also not going to feel bad people don't like the character. Life's too short for something like that to bug me, y'know?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

On 9/14/2017 at 2:51 PM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

It does seem evident that Shadow's popularity has been going downhill for quite some time, in part because of backlash towards attempts at serious storytelling in Sonic and even to the modern era in general, seeing as he's almost certainly the most popular character introduced in the modern era as well as a "poster child" of the aforementioned seriousness which many see as a plague of the modern era. FWIW, personally, I can't hate Shadow even though I'm a bit sympathetic to some of these complaints. In fact, while I like a fair few characters - Knuckles, Sonic, Tails, and the Chaotix including Mighty - more than him, he's honestly probably my favorite behind those.

I actually dissagree. 

In fact I would argue the opposite. Shadow is so popular , that he has some how been separated from that. Like a legitimate question people were asking , and I mean people in interviews was. " Hey is like shadow going to be in this classic sonic game" He is the only character while being associated with some of the franchises biggest failures, at the same time is removed. 

I don't think shadow's popularity has gone down hill at all. Sega will tell you that themselves. I think the people who don't like the modern might not like shadow, but that doesn't mean the bunches of people who do don't like shadow. And then the people who, like younger people who didn't grow up with adventure at all still liking character.

He's been separated from the era he's spawned from in the eyes of fans. He's the only modern character to sucesfully do this. And the reason he's allowed to do this because he is so popular. So I have to suggest that assement that tails is more popular than shadow is wrong because well, folks ask for him. I don't often hear people asking to play as tails as much, I hear a lot of people asking for shadow... often. Like a lot

15 hours ago, GentlemanX said:

. This group doesn't care much about the characters that were introduced later, just who them remember from when they were younger.

Here's the flaw with that idea.

I'm in that group. Shadow is a character who was introduced, when I was younger. The people who grew up with the adventure games, are adults. So the idea that its separated in to children an adults is also flawed. One reporter for some new site doesn't mean anything, because there are plenty of people like me. Who are now adults who grew up with adventure and think fondly with those games. The generation gap with growing up with the classic games and growing up with sonic adventure is 7 years.  That isn't along time. I know someone who grew up with classic sonic and he's in his 30's . I'm in my early 20's and I grew up with sonic adventure. Its enough for there to be a fanbase demographical gap. But it is not enough not separate that gap into children and adults. Because I am an adult, I look fondly back to sonic adventure,  and sonic advanced.  and sonic x to degree. You are making the same mistake I tink sega is making where they think its only classic and modern fanbases. 

No there is a classic, and adventure era, and a modern fanbase. None of those 3 things are close enough to lump those people in the same demographic

There are two, separate adult fan bases in sonic. Sonic adventure 2 came out some 15+ years ago. Shadow isn't some new thing, he's been around for a while, i've been around for a while. So I feel like your assertion is leaving out essential complications

That's certainly true. Adventure came out in 1998; so fans of that era, myself included, are also nostalgic for what we grew up with. So yes, you're absolutely right that I shouldn't have separated it so cleanly between children and adults - I simply did that to highlight differences. That said, we're literally on a board that frowns on SA3 discussion topics and the general gaming audience tend to think of Shadow as "Ow the Edge". The Adventure era fans are becoming sparser in places like that, likely because of the general direction the franchise has taken for the past ten years and a disconnection from what they enjoy about the property. Doesn't mean they aren't there though.

3 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

That's certainly true. Adventure came out in 1998; so fans of that era, myself included, are also nostalgic for what we grew up with. So yes, you're absolutely right that I shouldn't have separated it so cleanly between children and adults - I simply did that to highlight differences. That said, we're literally on a board that frowns on SA3 discussion topics and the general gaming audience tend to think of Shadow as "Ow the Edge". The Adventure era fans are becoming sparser in places like that, likely because of the general direction the franchise has taken for the past ten years and a disconnection from what they enjoy about the property. Doesn't mean they aren't there though.

To counter point. The reason that this board and other boards too frown on sonic adventure 3 discussion is because it keeps getting asked for. The discussion wasn't contributing to anything because as of currently SA3 seems like something to far out of budget and scope for sega to do and has been since...heroes and the closest thing we got was the hypothetical version of RIse of Lryric that may have existed at some point during development. ( i think its an emergency button personally at this point , but that's another discussion ) . The reason people are stamping it out is because its so prevalent, its because its questioned asked  to this day at conferences 15+ years after the last installment. Its because when folks talk are about to announce new sonic games that shit will trend on twitter. Sonic adventure 3 is a beast that if they ever did that, if there was a wiiff that Izuka thought about sonic adventure 3 one day whilist he was on toilet, it was destroy discussion in forums and over take it . That's why, because as of currently it isn't contributing to anything, but its prevalent. No one's raising a fuss over sonic battle 2 ( even though they should, sega make sonic battle 2)

As for shadow, yeah there are memes he's still incredibly popular, hell is why he as the memes because he's popular and folks still want him and what he had in sonic still around. He's a character that even when unfitting is asked for, he's a character that literally on the neogaf thread GAF of all places one of the first responses was " i'm voting for shadow" . His memeage is testament that all the shit that happened to his character, he is still a highly requested and beloved character in a lot of facets. That's not even to mention the people who use such memes, and still like the character, or people when presented to shadow in a context they were more fond of, were more fond his character. That's not even to mention new younger fans who didn't even grow up with adventure games who still like his character

This isn't to say some folks don't hate him, some folks do and everything after classic. There are a lot of folks that like him and the adventure era, and that's why that stuff wont quite go away. 

1 hour ago, GentlemanX said:

If anything I wouldn't be surprised if many Adventure fans moved on to the comics. It's not the same as playing a game but for me it's been so much more satisfying.

4 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I just explained why. It's all in that post you're quoting.

I guess I knew that huge explanation I gave somehow wouldn't satisfy some people. She's just that popular.

She's lucky to have you all. I'm super jealous. I want what those Blaze fans have so goddamn much when it comes to some of the ones I love.

Basically what Gentleman X said. Its not that I didn't understand your post, but rather it just kind of sounds selfish and a bit entitled. You're jealous of another character's fame and popularity and wish it was your own favorites that were getting the attention. I understand that, but then you said how you tend to be at odds with people who ''do'' like seeing her and I wonder why does her presence seem to bother you so much.

I can get when your own favorites are generally lower on the totem poll in terms of attention, but that's not really a reason to resent the more popular characters. Knuckles hadn't been relevant for years before recently,  but that doesn't mean I'm gonna somehow start resenting Tails because he still gets appearances despite not doing much to earn or justify them.

At the end of the day, just like you like lol.

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I actually dissagree. 

In fact I would argue the opposite. Shadow is so popular , that he has some how been separated from that. Like a legitimate question people were asking , and I mean people in interviews was. " Hey is like shadow going to be in this classic sonic game" He is the only character while being associated with some of the franchises biggest failures, at the same time is removed. 

I don't think shadow's popularity has gone down hill at all. Sega will tell you that themselves. I think the people who don't like the modern might not like shadow, but that doesn't mean the bunches of people who do don't like shadow. And then the people who, like younger people who didn't grow up with adventure at all still liking character.

He's been separated from the era he's spawned from in the eyes of fans. He's the only modern character to sucesfully do this. And the reason he's allowed to do this because he is so popular. So I have to suggest that assement that tails is more popular than shadow is wrong because well, folks ask for him. I don't often hear people asking to play as tails as much, I hear a lot of people asking for shadow... often. Like a lot

That's less because Shadow is more popular, and more because Tails` presence is kind of taken for granted. He's the hero's sidekick, so nobody is really going to question his presence or clamor for him getting more attention. Even after the series started trimming down the cast, he's the only one who still plays a big supporting role just after the main hero and antagonist.

Shadow by comparison has mostly been reduced to boss fights and non-speaking cameos, and this is after he was presented as a major character with his own story arc. So his presence would be a bit more missed overall.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, GentlemanX said:

I think it's because your post is kind of confusing due to the selfish nature of it (not an insult, just establishing the conceit). You're jealous that more people like Blaze than Charmy and Omega. Okay. I'm a huge fan of Chris Thorndyke obviously, but I think it's clear he's not exactly a fan favorite in these circles (whether he's popular among kids I don't know, I don't think he is, or at least I'd be surprised if he was. I like his character's personality and arc but he's pretty much the last thing you'd want to see if you wanted to watch a show about Sonic at the age of 10). Even though I get tired of seeing the same arguments against Chris over and over again, I'm also not going to feel bad people don't like the character. Life's too short for something like that to bug me, y'know?

It's definitely selfish. Totally. Usually, that's what jealousy is. I didn't say I didn't want other people to no longer have what they have with Blaze or anything though.

And it's not like I don't completely understand why people like her or anything. I got it. Often I do just bite the bullet and let it pass. However, I had something I wanted off my chest and I wasn't gonna lie about it.

Life is too short for stuff like this. You're right about that. Sometimes you just need to vent though. I wish I could be as strong a person as you.

2 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Basically what Gentleman X said. Its not that I didn't understand your post, but rather it just kind of sounds selfish and a bit entitled. You're jealous of another character's fame and popularity and wish it was your own favorites that were getting the attention. I understand that, but then you said how you tend to be at odds with people who ''do'' like seeing her and I wonder why does her presence seem to bother you so much.

I can get when your own favorites are generally lower on the totem poll in terms of attention, but that's not really a reason to resent the more popular characters. Knuckles hadn't been relevant for years before recently,  but that doesn't mean I'm gonna somehow start resenting Tails because he still gets appearances despite not doing much to earn or justify them.

At the end of the day, just like you like lol.

That's less because Shadow is more popular, and more because Tails` presence is kind of taken for granted. He's the hero's sidekick, so nobody is really going to question his presence or clamor for him getting more attention. Even after the series started trimming down the cast, he's the only one who still plays a big supporting role just after the main hero and antagonist.

Shadow by comparison has mostly been reduced to boss fights and non-speaking cameos, and this is after he was presented as a major character with his own story arc. So his presence would be a bit more missed overall.

I agree with selfish, since I am thinking about myself there. However, entitled is too far. I never demanded anyone think the way that I do about her. I'm certainly extremely jealous though. She's got a mighty fine deal going for her. How could I not be?

She appears in almost everything and when a game comes around where she might not be in it, there's tons of fan outcry for her to appear and videos asking if she's gonna be in it. I can't help but look at that and sulk in my little corner, waving the Charmy flag, going "And him too... right? Right?" However, I often can't even do that outside of these boards. Either because I'm afraid of ridicule or I'll surprisingly get some pushback. I've had a few assholes get on my case about putting that kid so high on my favorites. I didn't really understand why. The character they wanted me to like instead was already so popular, you know? That's the only reason I'm at "odds" with a few people that do like her. I said that because I've gotten flak just saying that I'm a fan of Charmy or Omega. On top of that, I often here people in the videos I follow on Youtube parroting the same sentiments. No matter how thick your skin is, tear at it with a rock long enough and it'll start to bleed.

That's usually why I get so excited whenever the Chaotix or Omega show up in something. I just don't expect it to happen. Because the fact of the matter is, popularity is the biggest factor SEGA cares about when pushing for which characters go into their games. They don't really give a shit about the narrative so long as they can appease the masses.

I also have to take issue with this statement: "I can get when your own favorites are generally lower on the totem poll in terms of attention, but that's not really a reason to resent the more popular characters. Knuckles hadn't been relevant for years before recently,  but that doesn't mean I'm gonna somehow start resenting Tails."

It's a bit more complicated than that. I explained why it was specifically Blaze that I have an issue with when it comes to this sort of thing. I don't have any resentment towards Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, or whoever else. There's just a perfect storm of things surrounding her that land her in that unfortunate position of being the one that stands out the absolute most to me. I explained it above but I'll explain it again with deeper context so I can clarify things a bit more.

As a story guy, Blaze is in that very unfortunate area where I'm unable to fully separate the jealousy I have towards her popularity. I don't really have an issue with Shadow or whoever else because most of the time they're characters that I already really like as well and grew up with. Blaze being a character I'm generally just okay with and was introduced to through Sonic 06 where she was boring as dishwater doesn't help. However, on top of that there's a problem that both she and Silver share that also gets under my skin. I like them both okay but I get extremely worried whenever they show up because I have so little faith in the Sonic Team and SEGA executives to make the conscious decision to care about why they're around narratively. With me being the "Story Guy" that lends itself to a bigger push back then I naturally want myself to have when it comes to them. 

I really do find what they did to her in Sonic 06 to be disgusting. The fact that they so readily discarded her character's foundation and development that was established just ONE year before in Sonic Rush for the sake of shoehorning her into that game because of her popularity still irks me to this day. The idea that they could just do that and get away with it bugs me even more, which is why I often look at the outcry for her to appear and get bothered when no one clarifies that they want her in the game in a manner that makes sense.

Not to mention, the position that both she and Silver occupy demand more attention paid to their characters in order for it to make sense. Knuckles has this issue as well but it's no where near as much of a hassle because he's still generally easy to write in (which makes it all the more astonishing that they won't).

The reason it bothers me with Blaze SO MUCH to the point of jealousy really does come down to a bunch of unfortunate elements. 

Her personality not gelling with me wouldn't be enough to do that but coupled with everything else, it sticks out more to me and it became the example of something I felt was irksome and resentful.

I don't hate her. I repeat, I do not hate her. I am jealous of what she's got though and jealously does inherently lead to some resentment.

I can't really will myself into making it go away. It's like how I feel about the Classics. I want to just focus on being happy for everyone else but there's a part of me that wishes that I could either be on board with everyone else and not like the things I like or that some of that sweet attention would come over to what I like.

Hopefully, that explained it a bit better.

The thing that you're kind of forgetting is that Blaze's inclusion in 06 is one of the things that's consistently criticized lol. It took a character that already had an established setting and lore, and made her backstory needlessly convoluted to the point where fans debated for years before Sonic Team addressed it properly.

You seem to be under the impression that everybody loves Blaze and worships the ground she walks on regardless of how she's actually utilized. That's a very generalized statement. There are plenty of her fans who want her to be used well, just like how there are people who want the entire cast to be used well.

I'm sorry you got a lot of flak over your own favorites (and I've seen you on the Sega forums, where people are less than tactful when disagreeing with another), but it's important to separate fan reaction of a character and the character themselves. Yes, Blaze is more popular than the likes of Charmy or the Chaotix, but that doesn't make your love for the latter over the former wrong. It just means you have a preference and I hope you understand that some people will respect that decision and not harp on you for it.

If anything else, your problem should be with Sonic Team using her so poorly than the fans that simply want to see her presence whenever and wherever.

Also there are a lot of people, while they don't hate her. Don't like care that she exists or even bother with her. The idea that people worship her is baffling. She doesn't really come up much.