Awoo.

Characters you think are currently popular

Dash Speed

What do us Blaze fans "have?" What's she playable in? 06? 

She is both continuity wise butchered and placed far enough from where the usual conflicts of the series take place that they can't actually write her into anything that's not some kind of time travel/alternate universe plot. All these layers of overcomplication layered onto a character who's main appeal is her cool powers, her natural chemistry with Sonic and her character development. A very simple and appealing character with about 5 layers of over-complication dropped on her for no real reason.

They don't even care enough to bullshit her into Forces like they did with Silver, Charmy, and even characters like Zavok. Zavok is in Forces. She's not getting treated better than most of the cast at all. All Blaze fans got is numbers, but they haven't actually listened to us so far so lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The thing that you're kind of forgetting is that Blaze's inclusion in 06 is one of the things that's consistently criticized lol.

That's the thing. I'm actually not. I know there's people out there that criticized it and don't like what they did with her. I've had conversations with those people. And yet despite this, I still worry whenever I hear the outcries for her to come back without much clarification or hinting that they want her back in a manner that treats her character with respect and pays attention to what they liked about her. I know that's not what SEGA's going to pay attention to or hear. They're just gonna be like, "Well shit. She's popular. Shove her in there." 

People have conversations about it all the time online but whenever it's time to put forth a desire to have her back, all I've seen recently is "WHERE IS BLAZE?!" and "IS BLAZE IN SONIC FORCES?!" 

Often, it's extremely hard to keep it together in my head that there's a large subset of people who do have concern for that kind of thing but the louder voices are the ones that get heard. And I worry that the ones shouting the loudest are the ones not having these talks sometimes. 

But again, that's just me.

You seem to be under the impression that everybody loves Blaze and worships the ground she walks on regardless of how she's actually utilized. That's a very generalized statement.

That is a generalized statement. It's not what I said though so I'm in the clear here.

I'm sorry you got a lot of flak over your own favorites (and I've seen you on the Sega forums, where people are less than tactful when disagreeing with another), but it's important to separate fan reaction of a character and the character themselves. Yes, Blaze is more popular than the likes of Charmy or the Chaotix, but that doesn't make your love for the latter over the former wrong. It just means you have a preference and I hope you understand that some people will respect that decision and not harp on you for it.

If anything else, your problem should be with Sonic Team using her so poorly than the fans that simply want to see her presence whenever and wherever.

Most of my problem is with Sonic Team so rest assured there. And I laid all of what you just said within the post. I'm in agreement that it is important to try and separate fan reaction of a character from the character themselves.  And I have been trying for a long time, like I also said. However, that's just not something I can do. I know all of this. I know it's not entirely fair to her. I wish I could re-wire my brain to not have any resentment towards her for it... but I'd be lying if I said I didn't. I can't lie and say that I don't.

Popularity is the thing that gets results. I wish it actually was just as simple as liking who you like but it's not. 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

What do us Blaze fans "have?" What's she playable in? 06? 

She is both continuity wise butchered and placed far enough from where the usual conflicts of the series take place that they can't actually write her into anything that's not some kind of time travel/alternate universe plot. All these layers of overcomplication layered onto a character who's main appeal is her cool powers, her natural chemistry with Sonic and her character development. A very simple and appealing character with about 5 layers of over-complication dropped on her for no real reason.

They don't even care enough to bullshit her into Forces like they did with Silver, Charmy, and even characters like Zavok. Zavok is in Forces. She's not getting treated better than most of the cast at all. All Blaze fans got is numbers, but they haven't actually listened to us so far so lol.

She's playable in Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure. Two games with a story generally centered around her. Sonic 06 is another but that's not exactly a high mark for any of them. She was playable as Sir Percival in Sonic and the Black Knight. Also a Party character you could play as in Secret Rings. She was an unlockable character in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. Unlockable again in Sonic Free Riders. She's playable in all 5 of the Olympic Games. Mobile games have her in Sonic Jump, Sonic Dash, Sonic Jump Fever, and Sonic Runners. As for the unplayable appearances, she may not be shoehorned into Forces but she was in Colors DS. Generations too. She also got her own trophy in two Smash Bros. Games but that's really nitpicky of me to go to. 

In comparison, someone like Charmy's been playable in Heroes (sort of) and two mobile games. A third if and when Forces Speed Battle comes out. If you count Classic Charmy than Knuckles' Chaotix as well. As for non-playable he's been in Shadow's game in 2005... then skip ahead to 2010 where he shows up in Colors DS and then Generations. And now Forces. He's cameos in all 5 of the Olympic Games too.

That said, you're absolutely right. She isn't being treated any better than the rest of the cast, no doubt. I don't yet know if the characters that are in Forces have been bullshitted into them just yet of course. It depends on what the story says. Silver has a high chance of that happening to him yet again (which is also an issue I have with him) but the recent trailer made me wonder if they might actually have an idea.

I'll admit that currently, things are a bit better than they were before. It hasn't gotten to the point to where I'm entirely able to stop being jealous but here's hoping.

Again, I don't hate her. I don't want her to leave or anything. I'm just salty and jealous.

I will say that it does look like they've taken aims to be a bit more equal with the representation in recent years. More and more I'm noticing that people aren't being left out as much as they were before. There's still the occasional drop off like how Omega only got a trophy in Generations... but at least that's something. They remember he exists. And he's in Forces Speed Battle too so. Cool.

I want to get to the point where this won't be an issue for me. I don't want to be at odds with anyone here. Really.

I just don't get why you'd feel this toward Blaze specifically. Even in terms of fan numbers Shadow is higher and characters like Knuckles and Amy aren't exactly behind her.

Eggman is also arguably running the series right now to insane degrees in between the fact that he's the driving force behind the plots in the modern games since Unleashed, is the only character that got to travel with Sonic and Tails in a modern game, features prominently in both Archie AND Boom, and is popular with casual fans due to his one liners being social media bait. Now he has a game where he runs the planet. And people still complain when he doesn't feature prominently enough despite all this. Like...guys, we get it. He was treated badly in the dreamcast era. So was...everyone.

I have beef with that motherfucker personally, but I still find him entertaining enough. I can't really sympathize wit not being able to seperate your feelings in that regard.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I just don't get why you'd feel this toward Blaze specifically. Even in terms of fan numbers Shadow is higher and characters like Knuckles and Amy aren't exactly behind her.

I explained why characters like Shadow, Knuckles, and Amy don't bother me in the earlier posts. 

Tl;dr, it's a combination of a ton of factors that unfortunately lands her in that spot. Silver shares some of the same problems, but even he has two specific ones missing that don't land him at the same level as her for me. 

Believe me, it's not something I revel in. I want to be on board with everyone else but all those factors are making it so that I can't.

Even now, the back of my head is telling me that I wouldn't be getting as much push back if I were showing resentment towards someone on my favorites list, even though the front of my head is telling me "That's not true. There's more people on your side than you know. And there's plenty of Blaze fans that are justifiably angry about the way she's been treated too".

But that jealousy, those personal factors, and everything else is keeping the resentment at the forefront.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Eggman is also arguably running the series right now to insane degrees in between the fact that he's the driving force behind the plots in the modern games since Unleashed, is the only character that got to travel with Sonic and Tails in a modern game, features prominently in both Archie AND Boom, and is popular with casual fans due to his one liners being social media bait. Now he has a game where he runs the planet. And people still complain when he doesn't feature prominently enough despite all this. Like...guys, we get it. He was treated badly in the dreamcast era. So was...everyone.

I have beef with that motherfucker personally, but I still find him entertaining enough. I can't really sympathize wit not being able to seperate your feelings in that regard.

Yeah, but there's a lot of factors there that aren't quite the same. Even if I were to have beef with someone else (I don't really. Blaze is kind of the only one. Maybe Cream once upon a time) it'd probably peter out after a while like it did with Sally if the character's presence doesn't have too much of an effect on the narrative. Or if I'm just seeing an immeasurable amount of people demanding for it while at the same time not showing immediate concern for what they'd do if she were to show up, despite knowing that there are people out there who are showing that concern. 

And again, again, again, I like Blaze well enough. You may not sympathize with my inability to separate my feelings in that regard but it's not something I can will myself to do regardless. Perhaps if I found her "entertaining enough" I'd be able to but I don't. She's comes off a bit too bland at times for me. I do find the little tidbits of her character interesting at times. The times where she shows some vulnerability, like that one scene in Generations that lasted a split second where she looked nervous before she was offered a cupcake by Cream and Cheese, then smiled and accepted it. That was adorable. But I haven't really gotten that feeling often enough for it to have an overwhelming effect. 

Maybe one day though.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I explained why characters like Shadow, Knuckles, and Amy don't bother me in the earlier posts. 

Tl;dr, it's a combination of a ton of factors that unfortunately lands her in that spot. Silver shares some of the same problems, but even he has two specific ones missing that don't land him at the same level as her for me. 

Believe me, it's not something I revel in. I want to be on board with everyone else but all those factors are making it so that I can't.

Even now, the back of my head is telling me that I wouldn't be getting as much push back if I were showing resentment towards someone on my favorites list, even though the front of my head is telling me "That's not true. There's more people on your side than you know. And there's plenty of Blaze fans that are justifiably angry about the way she's been treated too".

But that jealousy, those personal factors, and everything else is keeping the resentment at the forefront.

Yeah, but there's a lot of factors there that aren't quite the same. Even if I were to have beef with someone else (I don't really. Blaze is kind of the only one. Maybe Cream once upon a time) it'd probably peter out after a while like it did with Sally if the character's presence doesn't have too much of an effect on the narrative. Or if I'm just seeing an immeasurable amount of people demanding for it while at the same time not showing immediate concern for what they'd do if she were to show up, despite knowing that there are people out there who are showing that concern. 

And again, again, again, I like Blaze well enough. You may not sympathize with my inability to separate my feelings in that regard but it's not something I can will myself to do regardless. Perhaps if I found her "entertaining enough" I'd be able to but I don't. She's comes off a bit too bland at times for me. I do find the little tidbits of her character interesting at times. The times where she shows some vulnerability, like that one scene in Generations that lasted a split second where she looked nervous before she was offered a cupcake by Cream and Cheese, then smiled and accepted it. That was adorable. But I haven't really gotten that feeling often enough for it to have an overwhelming effect. 

Maybe one day though.

Well I wasn't paying enough attention earlier then. Sorry for making you repeat yourself. 

Admittedly a lot of things about Blaze that I like are things that are implied about her, but that goes for a lot of Sonic characters for me, really.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Well I wasn't paying enough attention earlier then. Sorry for making you repeat yourself. 

Admittedly a lot of things about Blaze that I like are things that are implied about her, but that goes for a lot of Sonic characters for me, really.

Me too. 

A lot of the time, what's in my head often supersedes what's actually being presented. I often have to remember to dial back how I represent someone whenever I'm writing something centered around them because of this. 

I would break it like this

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman: popular, no argument

Shadow, Amy: popular, but with visible hate groups

Rouge, Blaze, Chaotix, Orbot/Cubot, Chao : have fair share of fans and very little haters (except for those who hate any not-classic character)

Silver, Big, Cream, Omega- either controversial or small fanbases

Metal - struggles between 'popular classic' and 'does even count as character?'

Characters with smaller exposure, but have fans: Mighty, Fang, Chaos, Tikal, Deadly Six, Chip, Babylon Rouges, Mephiles, Gamma

Characters that are mostly hated: Black Doom, Nega, Marine, Elise (but even they have some fans)

Other media most popular: Sally, Nicole & Freedom Fighters, Sticks, Scourge, Finitevus, Shard, Honey, (arguably Breezie, Cosmo, Fiona, Fleetway Super Sonic, Sonia & Manic)

• Thumbs Up 2

TBH I've seen hate groups for tails, but that usually comes with in the sonic fanbase itself. I've also encountered people outside of the fanbase who only like sonic and tails, and that's it. 

Also I've seen plenty of people hate Cubot and Orbot , they aren't fans of modern sonic's take on humor and those two represent that for them.  I've also seen plenty of people who hate rouge, because she's " sexy" and they don't like that, they think she looks weird, and there's quite a few people who do hate her because of that. I've seen people who hate the choatix because despite being debuted earlier they associate them with the newer games and found them quite annoying. I've seen people hate chao , hell there is a pretty vocal hater of everything chao on neogaf and actively said the best thing about sonic 06 is that in the future the chaogarden was obliterated.

If i had to edit your breakdown I would edit like this

Characters who need the franchise to be ruined in its entirety to not be popular: Sonic and Eggman

Characters who will forever be around unless they screw up the character SO massively the fan base the character has gathered would dissapate: Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Amy, Metal sonic

Characters who people like, but not enough to keep them around too often: The other two members of Team Dark, Chaotix, Silver, 

Nebulous Characters : Blaze. The Black arms, cream

Hated characters: Mephilies , Marine, Elise, various comic characters, Big

Other media popular characters: Bunnie, Antione, Cosmo

So I think I should explain Nebulous because i'm sure fans of blaze are now trying to kill me . So here's what that means, blaze is a character some people like, that's it. She was never pushed hard enough I feel or was ever successful enough get out of that lane. She isn't a chaotix, she isn't rouge, she just kind of exists. She could be more popular , but no one seems be trying now, or ever to get her over. She appeared a few times and was it. A character who could be more popular, but in reality isn't. 

Black Doom is and the black arms are one the other end of the spectrum. Debuted that is at best disappointment and at worse horrible slog of bad video game.  That said though I don't really see the aliens getting hate. Its the game itself, like the concept of shadow being related to aliens and killing aliens... seems to be a concept a lot of the community just on the low key embraced, heck i've seen bunches of " black arm" OC's. To compound on this, in the archie comic's when the black arms were introduced in a better excuted context, people liked them. They liked shadow more, it was like shadow was secretly half dragon alien xenomorph, it made that whole concept more popular and you started seeing more art portraying black arms pop up, or black arm transformed shadows. 

And cream, there seem to be a bunch of people who legit hate this character. I don't understand it I don't get it, it astounds me, but then at the same time there are some people who like cream. I've never been able to get a visual read on where cream lies because every time she is mentioned in a positive light you get people who just... hate this character. So I have no idea where she stands, because she's a character who barely does anything who has gained this almost vitriolic hatebase for no reason. But enough people like her so she's kinda still around. 

That isn't to say fan art = Popularity, obviously mephilies and marine have fan art. But I never really saw too much vitriol for the black arms, they were enemies to defeat in a bad game. And when removed from that context people liked them more. So they could actually be used well and for people to like them more. But as of currently most people don't care and have probably forgot they existed. So Its not hate, its indifference. 

I see Shadow getting some praise on tumblr, some hate on here and praise on youtube. I guess he's best popular with certain kinds of fan groups instead of objectively like Tails and Knuckles are.

Shadow is generally more popular among the younger fans who grew up on SA2.

It's mostly older fans before those games that despise him since he's generally considered the harbinger of most of the things this series is mocked for.

i don't know if she is popular, but amy should be popular so. yeah. give my queen her recognition. hopefully in forces she'll be serving female lead realness.

Other media most popular: Sally, Nicole & Freedom Fighters, Sticks, Scourge, Finitevus, Shard, Honey, (arguably Breezie, Cosmo, Fiona, Fleetway Super Sonic, Sonia & Manic)

Are U drunk? Where da Egg Bosses at on dis list? >=/

The Egg Bosses aren't popular overall. Within the post-reboot Archie fandom some of them might be, but even the most popular of them are still very niche, and most Sonic fans don't know them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

The Egg Bosses aren't popular overall. Within the post-reboot Archie fandom some of them might be, but even the most popular of them are still very niche, and most Sonic fans don't know them. 

The same can be said of the likes of Finitivus, Fiona,Scourge, and maybe Shard and Honey, so I fail to see how that holds any water against even the more popular Egg Bosses, much less them as a group.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

The same can be said of the likes of Finitivus, Fiona,Scourge, and maybe Shard and Honey, so I fail to see how that holds any water against even the more popular Egg Bosses, much less them as a group.

I know, and I'd say they don't really belong in the list either. Maybe Scourge because he's actually got some recognition in Japan, but otherwise they're just as inaccurate as the Egg Bosses. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I know, and I'd say they don't really belong in the list either. Maybe Scourge because he's actually got some recognition in Japan, but otherwise they're just as inaccurate as the Egg Bosses. 

How would one even know how popular or niche those characters are within the Archie fandom. I'm curious, because there isn't anything really gauging popularity for them.

Just now, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

How would one even know how popular or niche those characters are within the Archie fandom. I'm curious, because there isn't anything really gauging popularity for them.

Wait, I'm not talking within the Archie fandom alone, I'm thinking in the franchise as a whole. That's a whole different barometer (hence why I mentioned Scourge's breakout). 

Regardless, I think while it's not possible to gauge it to the pinpoint, you can get an estimate based on seeing what different circles are talking about. And...honestly, I'm not sure that changes all that much. You might be able to chip in Shard and Honey (the latter also had game exposure to bolster her), and I think Clove and Thunderbolt ebb close to being popular (although I even question that due to how the Archie fandom landscape shifted and sort of shrank with the reboot), but most of the popularity is still focused on the FFs, while the rest seem to be more niche pockets. 

10 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Wait, I'm not talking within the Archie fandom alone, I'm thinking in the franchise as a whole. That's a whole different barometer (hence why I mentioned Scourge's breakout). 

I was specifically referring to the Archie fandom---MetalSkullBane specifically singled them out when he categorized them as "Other Media Most Popular" and I was going along with that, not the franchise as a whole.

CS-Servant is right on this one. Even most popular Archie/Cartoons characters are way less popular that the ones from games (maaaaaaybe expect for Sticks and Sally). I mentioned them last as "popular for character that isn't from games"

With that said I avoided putting any Archie Reboot characters, because At least Honey, Breezie & Shard have their old incarnations to fall back on.

But as that series went I think it's save to say Egg Bosses were most popular characters, especially Thunderbolt, Cassia & Clove and Conquering Storm (she was fairly popular before reboot anyway).

In fact let me add few more 'popular characters, just o clear things out

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog: Scratch & Grounder, Breezie

Satam: Basically whole main cast is well remember (partially thanks to Archie), but Sally is easily the top squirrel

Underground: Easily the less-loved cartoon, but Sonia & Manic are fairly remembered

Sonic X: Everyone remembers and hates Chris, Cosmo is a bit loved/ a bit hated/ a bit acknowledged to exist

Boom: Obviously Sticks being in one of main characters and and all that, but Dave, Percy and Zooey have their fans as well

Archie: Had plenty popular characters, but I think Scourge and Nicole (Lynx form) are only ones close to Sally's popularity. Other I would mention are Finitevus, Shard and a bit controversial controversial Fiona.

Archie Reboot: See above, maybe Eclipse and Phage

Fleetway: Possibly even more forgotten then Underground. It had few cool character, but crazy Super Sonic is easily the only one really talked about (Shame, Brotherhood of Metallix was much cooler)

• 3 weeks later...

IDW is making team classic sonic showcased as main roles in the new cover it seems. I guess that shows where characters like shadow and blaze are in major impact in fan base love.

Shadow may not even be in this one much like in Archie. If he's so popular, the media would make him as a regular.

R as tails and knuckles in sonic stories.

5 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

IDW is making team classic sonic showcased as main roles in the new cover it seems. I guess that shows where characters like shadow and blaze are in major impact in fan base love.

Shadow may not even be in this one much like in Archie. If he's so popular, the media would make him as a regular.

R as tails and knuckles in sonic stories.

Maybe he's not in the first issue

Lets wait and see

ill rank the vip

1 amy

2 shadow 

3 rouge

4 cream

5 blaze

6 idk more girls

7 another girl

8 another girl

9 idk another girl

10 yeah 

basically all sonic girls are valid :/ shadow too. the rest.... are there.

I feel as though Eggman's only become popular in recents years, due to his more meme-centric personality writers have given him in the newer games and [especially] Boom.