Awoo.

SBK Art Vids

Sheff

Well, I seem to keep spoiling myself since I STILL don't have this game yet, but I just found the videos showing all the art contest winners pictures shown in the Black Knight.

Here they are.

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

The all feature a nice little instrumental of It Doesn't Matter.

My only truly complaint about these pics is in the third video. Two of the drawings near the end were utter CRAP compared to who lost. I truly will never understand why they put those two in.

Anyway, discuss away.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eyz

• T-Bird

• Gatestormer

• The-Master-Board

To feel sorry for the little kids perhaps? The SatAM DVD had a pretty crappy drawing on the inside. On lined paper, looks like the drawer was 4. Though it's better than what I could draw.

I think the one where the guy took the CG image from the cover of 06 and played with the smear tool on it if funny. It's the one that really makes me wonder why they picked it.

SoE stated that they wanted to include art drawn by some of the younger fans as well, which is why those uglier ones are in there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very surprised I saw no Speed Highway art, especially considering it's a pretty popular stage. Infact, hardly any stages made it in, it was all Death Egg, Green Hill and Hidden Palace if any most of the time. And yeah, some of these are fairly poor.

However, the two Stardust Speedway good future arts are awesome! Also liked the Japanese one where it's Sonic and then the other characters behind him, kinda like the cover of a game, and the one with all the chao around Sonic.

Now that the game is out, does anyone know if the artists have posted their art anywhere? I've checked Deviant art but only found a small number of them that made it in.

I just wanna see the art without the stupid scrolling screen, to actually see them in their proper form without only getting a second or two to take it all in.

I Love<3 the artwork for pretty much all the hidden palace and Sonic3 works, especially that one with Knuckles on the master emerald after Eggman tries to steal it from its altar in the hidden palace zone.

I hope SEGA do this again, god knows why I didn't enter, I'd love to give it a shot... How many people entered though? At the same time, it seems like loads of members here on TSS actually got their art featured too!

Now that the game is out, does anyone know if the artists have posted their art anywhere? I've checked Deviant art but only found a small number of them that made it in.

Don't know if you came across mine yet, but here it is

It's the Green Hill Zone picture from the Euro Set (there's only two GHZ pictures I could see in them all, so there isn't that many...)

Lot of them were posted on the internet in defiance of the rules.

If your referring to the losing entries, I think Sega allowed them to post it, but if referring to the winning entries, I'm pretty sure it was said that it was fine to post after the games release due to the fact it's possible for anyone to just screen shot the ingame picture anyway, ala the above video.

Edited by SpadeRunner

There are a few people who have deviantart accounts with art in them - Chemb0t, Eless the Hedgecat and g silverfish to name a few.

My art didn't make it onto my deviantart because a) I hardly ever use my deviantart account, and b ) I'm not quite sure how much liberty I have with displaying it online. It is a real shame though because some of it is awesome. I'd have to say my personal fave is the American entry with Sonic and Tails in Lava Reef; Sonic's expression is priceless.

T

Gah~ I did enter, but didn't make it in (for some reason?). .__. You can view my work on my DA page though. I do hope SEGA do another art contest for the next game! >.<

And I agree, there's some really fantastic ones in those slideshows of the winners, but others are just...crap. I especially despise that copy the Italian artist did. I feel like flipping the bird at it whenever I see it like "Screw you, MY work could've been there!" XP

Gah~ I did enter, but didn't make it in (for some reason?). .__. You can view my work on my DA page though. I do hope SEGA do another art contest for the next game! >.<

And I agree, there's some really fantastic ones in those slideshows of the winners, but others are just...crap. I especially despise that copy the Italian artist did. I feel like flipping the bird at it whenever I see it like "Screw you, MY work could've been there!" XP

Seconded (and mine's in the Showcase section in this forum). But considering the game's not really a favourite, then all is good in my books, so to speak!

Gabz, link us to your deviantart, I'd like to see your entry!

It is a shame about the Italian art, but unfortunately I guess it is quite hard to find out if art has been plagiarised or not; after all, the judges of the competition were probably not people who while away their hours looking at fan art.

...my copy is still sitting sealed up on my desk; damn you work! (and Resident Evil 5).

T

EDIT: I do like your piece Adamis; was it hand drawn with pastels?

Thanks guys! But I've already seen all that great stuff that got in the game already! Been lurking about deviant art waaay too much looking for it!

I was interested in seeing the artwork with Knuckles above Sonic and Tails, the one taken from the end of Angel Island zone after you defeat Robotnik I think, if I've interpreted it right.

I really wanna see the Hidden Palace Zone ones in detail too, theres a great one with the death egg poking through the "roof" of the zone while Sonic and Tails are watching Knuckles cling to the ME as Robotnik makes off with it.....I love this one! The death egg in the background always made the level feel so epic to me.

It's too bad they decided to go with a movie reel, rather than unlockable artworks. I was hoping to see each one in close detail at my own lesuire, rather than a two second scramble to glance it.

Wow, some of those are... just truly awful, why on Earth did an smudge of their own official art win!? Jesus Christ SEGA, I understand the whole sympathy vote for the kids but why go so far as to allow edits of official art? -_-. Meh, I'm not bothered that I didn't enter now, the fact the art is shown for all of 3 seconds in a video just isn't much of a prize to be honest (yeah free game as well but I wouldn't have entered for the game), I'd have thought they'd have devoted 3 pages of the special book to this art, 1 for Japan, 1 for US and 1 for UK... Also dear SEGA: If you're going pick kids as winners don't pick truly awful art but think 'hey, it must be good because shes 8', pick the art drawn by kids that is at least cute or looks like they put effort in like some of the art shown in the Sonic Channel blog. Yeah I know it sounds like I'm ranting but come on, an EDIT of official art won.

I'm at 1:12 of the 1st video :D Woooooo! 3 weeks of work payed off after all

I agree with Professer J on some of the art. Especially Japan's video, I guess their rules must have been different because most of those pictures aren't from game scenes, some of them are really bad...

Edited by ENVY16

EDIT: I do like your piece Adamis; was it hand drawn with pastels?

Thanks. It's hand drew with watercolors, a bit of pencils and a little bit of markers.

aww Gabz, that picture is cool. It made me lol. *edit* Very awesome two Mahzes and Adamis.

But now I'm gonna have to say something, it was bad enough with the youtube comments, but now it seems like people are just being mean.

Although I don't know much about the artist of that Sonic Adventure 2 picture. The one I saw sometime ago had the name Mega777 on it, if I remember correctly. So I suppose it's wishfull thinking to think the same guy made some changes and sent it to the contest?

As for the Sonic 06 picture, what do you mean by a simple edit of something official?

When I was younger I would draw copies of pictures and poses,(not sketched) then try to colour them in. Is there a problem with that?

But my main problem is just insulting some of the art.

In my book there is no such thing as "bad" art, everybody has a differant style and method for drawing, and when I look at those pictures I can see the effort the artists made for there drawings, and I can appreciate that. And I would never insult a piece of art, whether the artist was around or not. What if they would stop by to see what people thought of there work and drowned in the insults, it would be very upsetting.

I know what it's like to be insulted, it's been happening to me for over 20 years, and I vow not to put anyone through that kind of pain.

Kinda ironic how I noticed that at the end credits where it was saying the special thanks, the last line said "....and the fans." Sega where kind enough to add some fan interaction, and when it's all done people still complain.

*sigh*

Sorry about the rant...

Here's my winning entry if anyone give a crap.... http://danfield.deviantart.com/art/SatBK-C...inner-116441683

Although I don't know much about the artist of that Sonic Adventure 2 picture. The one I saw sometime ago had the name Mega777 on it, if I remember correctly. So I suppose it's wishfull thinking to think the same guy made some changes and sent it to the contest?

It has been proven that Antonino Miniero is not Mega777; Antonino himself admitted he copied Mega777's artwork.

As for the Sonic 06 picture, what do you mean by a simple edit of something official?

The guy took an official picture of Sonic (the one that is on Sonic '06's cover) and used the smudge tool on it... Or a similar tool; to me the background looks like a collage of other pictures.

When I was younger I would draw copies of pictures and poses,(not sketched) then try to colour them in. Is there a problem with that?

Everyone copies other pictures at the beginning; it's the first form of practice. But sending a copied/ripped picture to a contest is like cheating. In other words, "that's NO good".

Edited by Talen

The guy took an official picture of Sonic (the one that is on Sonic '06's cover) and used the smudge tool on it... Or a similar tool; to me the background looks like a collage of other pictures

Everyone copies other pictures at the beginning; it's the first form of practice. But sending a copied/ripped picture to a contest is like cheating. In other words, "that's NO good".

ah, so when they said copy official art, it meant an edited one.

Thanks for telling me. Now I understand things abit better, although when I first saw that picture I couldn't even tell what it was.

And everyone is sure it's a copy? Is there some kind of proof?

oh well.....I'll defend hard working artists that do there own work, but not lazy jerks. -_-;