Awoo.

Tails' role in Forces.

Dee Dude

Tails being in Sonic Forces has been a no brainer from the start as he's the series deutergonist who've been in the solo Sonic/Eggman games such as Colors and Lost World.

But for some odd reason, Tails' case in Sonic Forces has been really strange lately.

To get this out of the way, I won't bring up the rumors and theories that he'll die in the game because frankly it's BS.

As we all know, he and Knuckles have been featured on various promotional stuff as the boxart, posters, wallpapers, T Shirts etc which while may be false advertising of them not being playable, it does imply that they'll be very important charcaters in the game with major roles regardless.

latest?cb=20170914041728

Let's move on to the Resistance, it's been confirmed that Knuckles is the official leader (or captain if you're cool:P) of the squad and he has been very present in the levels, and cutscenes shown from the recent story trailer so we do know that Knuckles will have a very major impact in the game despite his unfortunate NPC status and wherever he is while the Sonic's and Avatar are out on their missions.

latest?cb=20170914041457

But as for Tails? It's been really unknown what's going on with him.

The first instance we saw him was during the Classic boss battle with Eggman, which may imply that his mission is to accompany Classic Sonic while Sonic is with our Avatar.

But my main question about Tails is that he has never been shown with the Resistance so far, the only other instances we've seen of him was spectating Sonic's curb stomped battle with Infinite.

latest?cb=20170720165219

And later presumably getting attacked with animal civilians he was most likely assisting.

latest?cb=20170914041415

So what's happening with Tails?

Is he kidnapped? Is he just busy with technical missions? Am I looking too deep into this because we've only seen glimpses of the story?

What are your thoughts on this matter?

• Thumbs Up 4

Remember this supposed leak from 2016?

So. Yes– this is not considered a “sequel.” However, just the other day I predicted this. I’ll give you some more fun tidbits. The story plays on a reality where sonic “disappears”. And the world goes to shit basically. This game has 3 playable characters. Both Sonics, and a new character named Buddy. Buddy is an original character… That you create. Who is actually the first character which you’ll play as, and you join “the resistance”, made up of sonics friends, Knuckles, Amy, the chaotix, etc. And yes NO Tails. Tails has given up and only joins the fight when Sonic is saved. Sounds like a bad fanfic, right? Well you’ll see down the road that this is true. Unfortunately, very very true. Not sure if it has been changed, but the working title was “Sonic Wars”.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/07/sonic-project-2017-revealed/

It's been pretty accurate. The only info that's "wrong" is the name of the custom hero, who no longer being referred to as Buddy. The rest of it matches pretty well, including the part about a world where Sonic had disappeared if you consider the true ending in Mania. It even explains why Tails isn't seen alongside the rest of the resistance.

• Thumbs Up 9

Given he shows up during the Egg Dragoon battle, and there's those relatively contextless scenes of Tails and Classic in Park Avenue, I'm assuming said scenes are actually one scene where Tails joins Classic Sonic's adventure. Would be interesting to have Tails assist another Sonic in the absence of his own I guess. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm guessing this will mean that Tails has given up hope and refused to fight back until Sonic shows up?

So much for his independent arc in Adventure...

Oh lord, this better not mean they'll try to add in unnecessary drama and bring back LW Tails...

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally really highly annoyed from what we've seen. That whole encounter Tails is just standing there uselessly, screwing around with the Miles Electric (I seriously hate that thing). That's basically been Tails since 2008.

The fact that he's excluded from other shots possibly implies that, yet again, Tails has been captured or something else. Or maybe it's a red herring, I don't know.

Remember when Tails used to do shit? I mean, I remember. Sonic Team doesn't seem to. Christ, way to make me miss the Archie comics more guys, when Tails wasn't with Sally he at least did stuff in the comic's later years.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Personally really highly annoyed from what we've seen. That whole encounter Tails is just standing there uselessly, screwing around with the Miles Electric (I seriously hate that thing). That's basically been Tails since 2008.

The fact that he's excluded from other shots possibly implies that, yet again, Tails has been captured or something else. Or maybe it's a red herring, I don't know.

Remember when Tails used to do shit? I mean, I remember. Sonic Team doesn't seem to. Christ, way to make me miss the Archie comics more guys, when Tails wasn't with Sally he at least did stuff in the comic's later years.

Uhh...we got concept art of Tails fighting Chaos if that's better.

latest?cb=20170812001726

• Thumbs Up 3

Still intrigued about his role in Forces and how he's earned that spot on the front cover of the game cass.

Still mighty worried about what we've seen (or barely seen) of him so far :/ Hopefully we'll find out more now that they're switching their marketing focus from Mania to Forces.

5 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I guess none of you guys have seen the official sketch for Forces that Shun Nakamura posted on his Twitter of Tails beside Modern Sonic, Tails fighting Chaos and Sonic fighting Metal Sonic. The quote that accompanies the Tweet sounds like Adventure Tails, implying that he finally wants to stop standing around.

EDIT: The pic Dee Dude posted.

• Thumbs Up 2

Where is that from?

Any case, I guess it figures that's a bit of a red herring. But ignoring that, the premise of Tails just giving up breaks character. I seriously still hope that's what they're not going with.

1 minute ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Where is that from?

Any case, I guess it figures that's a bit of a red herring. But ignoring that, the premise of Tails just giving up breaks character. I seriously still hope that's what they're not going with.

It's from the Twitter of the producer/writer of Forces. 

That shot of Tails with other anthros could actually be interpreted a different way. Something bad is coming and he is trying to protect the civilians by shielding them with himself. Having Classic work with a modern character seems logical if Classic is going to continue being mute, I just hope he has a more deeper role than being Classic Sonics narrator.

I reckon considering how often he is in promotional material, that he does indeed have a deeper role.

Although I am baffled by this Tails being killed off bit. I saw somebody say it was a running joke with modern Sonic games...I don't get it...

29 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Tails, like literally every other character, only ever do anything when playable.

50 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

@Blue Blood I guessing this will mean that Tails has given up hope and refused to fight back until Sonic shows up?

So much for his independent arc in Adventure...

Oh lord, this better not mean they'll try to add in unnecessary drama and bring back LW Tails...

The fandom will never forgive him for SLW, will the? XD

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

4 minutes ago, Soniman said:

The fandom will never forgive him for SLW, will the? XD

Take a wild guess.

Thanks, Pontaff duo.

Lol nope.

Anyway, I was probably jumping into conclusions since Tracker brought up a better point.

His portrayal in Lost World wasn't straight up abysmal, hell I blame the writers not the character of anything.

It was nothing more than a way of bringing unneeded drama for the sake of it and that's what annoyed me.

Guess you could call it Pontaff Paranoia?

• Thumbs Up 1

Who knows what the Phantom Ruby can do BTW? We know Classic Eggman uses it to teleport at will (funnily enough, only Sonic gets teleported). That's all Mania give us. Maybe it can change reality too. Eggman created a reality where Sonic never existed. But somehow he reverted this with the help of Classic Sonic, since he has the Ruby (both get sucked into the void in Mania's true ending).

Tails was having a hard time untill this because... Well, because the writers said so :V Sure Sonic is strong, but c'mon. Eggman erased Sonic and everybody just hide? WTF, what about the Chaos Emeralds?

WAIT A SECOND. In Generations, Tails couldn't tell Classic from Modern Sonic apart.... If he indeed joins Classic... Will he not notice the difference again? lol

6 minutes ago, Jango said:

WAIT A SECOND. In Generations, Tails couldn't tell Classic from Modern Sonic apart.... If he indeed joins Classic... Will he not notice the difference again? lol

Since Classic Sonic is now an alternate version of Sonic instead of Modern's past self, I wonder if Generations is even still considered canon. I mean we still don't even know how Eggman got out of the white space.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Since Classic Sonic is now an alternate version of Sonic instead of Modern's past self, I wonder if Generations is even still considered canon. I mean we still don't even know how Eggman got out of the white space.

How does eggman take over the world with classic sonic gone, but where did modern sonic go?