Awoo.

Metroid: Samus Returns SPOILERS Thread

Zippo

Okay, so the game is basically out in the wild now and the spoilers reveal some crazy shit. The game is a giant teaser not just for Super and Fusion, but an entirely new game. But first, guess who's back:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1433420

Cerium breaks it down, all credit goes to him.

Samus survives a brutal final battle with her old enemy, with some help from the baby Metroid who just wants to protect its mother. They fly off towards the events of Super Metroid, leaving a pacified SR388 that's now totally not dangerous at all.

Right?

Wrong, because we then cut to a chilling after credits scene.

The annihilation of the Metroid species led directly to the recovery of the X Parasites and the events of Metroid Fusion. We know now that MercurySteam originally pitched a Metroid Fusion remake to Sakamoto. Could this be foreshadowing their original plans?

I would say that the evidence so far suggests that, but then for players who clear 100% of Samus Returns we get something even more cryptic that might hint at something else entirely. Here are a series of images that seem to tell a story; some of it we know already, but the rest...

WQBxQ6z.png

Here we have the Chozo arriving on SR388. Note the three key figures here and their distinguishing features. They're clearly Chozo leaders.

Qf9GOeb.png

The Chozo are extracting X Parasites from their hosts. Studying and analyzing the threat.

CNpXV6o.png

An attempt to exterminate the X Parasites through conventional means? They appear to be scanning life forms for signs of infection.

IqwgXvz.png

That's a lot of X Parasites. Presumably the nasty critters did not want to go quietly into the dark night.

lC9ZQoG.png

Designing the Metroid. When faced with a galaxy ending threat, just make something bad enough to feed on it. What could go wrong?

VUu5Ygk.png

Everything is going according to plan.

Success! No more parasites. Let's pat ourselves on our avian backs.

1bZfHW6.png

Holy shit our own creations are mutating out of control. Who would've thought?

tbVlbgp.png

Alright so clearly everything is just fucked now. Time to flood this place I guess? And let's get the fuck out of here.

fzSGOCX.png

Now here's the really interesting part. We have the two (remaining?) Chozo leaders arguing about something. These appear to be the same guys we've seen in most of the other images. Maybe they're arguing over whose fault it was, maybe they're arguing over the future of the Chozo race, maybe they're arguing over whose turn it was to do the dishes.

g6udqrH.png

And now there's only one Chozo leader left. He's standing in a kind of tyrannical pose, with a smoking gun on his arm, and a bunch of dead Chozo at his feet including the guy he was politely debating. The red is not ominous at all.

So to me the implications here are clear. As far as I am aware, the fate of the Chozo race has never been specifically stated anywhere in the Metroid series. We know they explored the galaxy, we know they left lots of ruins and high technology, and we know they adopted Samus and gave her the Varia Suit. And we know they've just been kind of gone.

To this day we've never seen a live Chozo in a Metroid game.

People speculated they might've been wiped out by Metroids, by X Parasites, by Space Pirates. But it wasn't any of those, was it? This new evidence seems to tell us that it was actually a Chozo civil war that ended with an "evil" faction taking control. This faction and its leader were directly involved in the creation of the Metroids.

So TL;DR:

The Chozo created the Metroids to destroy the Parasite X Creatures, it looked to be a success, until the Metroids turned against them. They turn SR388 into a wasteland and escape. We then cut to a disagreement between two of the three Chozo leaders, presumably the other one is dead, going by the situation. They argue, and before you know it, the power hungry Chozo leader kills the other. He then has amassed an entire army. Game then ends. So it looks like they are teasing Another new Metroid game where an evil faction of Chozos will be the main antagonists. Meaning, during the entire series, the Chozo, at least some of them, are in fact, alive and well.

Fuck.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Okay, so the game is basically out in the wild now and the spoilers reveal some crazy shit. The game is a giant teaser not just for Super and Fusion, but an entirely new game. But first, guess who's back:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1433420

Cerium breaks it down, all credit goes to him.

Samus survives a brutal final battle with her old enemy, with some help from the baby Metroid who just wants to protect its mother. They fly off towards the events of Super Metroid, leaving a pacified SR388 that's now totally not dangerous at all.

Right?

Wrong, because we then cut to a chilling after credits scene.

The annihilation of the Metroid species led directly to the recovery of the X Parasites and the events of Metroid Fusion. We know now that MercurySteam originally pitched a Metroid Fusion remake to Sakamoto. Could this be foreshadowing their original plans?

I would say that the evidence so far suggests that, but then for players who clear 100% of Samus Returns we get something even more cryptic that might hint at something else entirely. Here are a series of images that seem to tell a story; some of it we know already, but the rest...

WQBxQ6z.png

Here we have the Chozo arriving on SR388. Note the three key figures here and their distinguishing features. They're clearly Chozo leaders.

Qf9GOeb.png

The Chozo are extracting X Parasites from their hosts. Studying and analyzing the threat.

CNpXV6o.png

An attempt to exterminate the X Parasites through conventional means? They appear to be scanning life forms for signs of infection.

IqwgXvz.png

That's a lot of X Parasites. Presumably the nasty critters did not want to go quietly into the dark night.

lC9ZQoG.png

Designing the Metroid. When faced with a galaxy ending threat, just make something bad enough to feed on it. What could go wrong?

VUu5Ygk.png

Everything is going according to plan.

Success! No more parasites. Let's pat ourselves on our avian backs.

1bZfHW6.png

Holy shit our own creations are mutating out of control. Who would've thought?

tbVlbgp.png

Alright so clearly everything is just fucked now. Time to flood this place I guess? And let's get the fuck out of here.

fzSGOCX.png

Now here's the really interesting part. We have the two (remaining?) Chozo leaders arguing about something. These appear to be the same guys we've seen in most of the other images. Maybe they're arguing over whose fault it was, maybe they're arguing over the future of the Chozo race, maybe they're arguing over whose turn it was to do the dishes.

g6udqrH.png

And now there's only one Chozo leader left. He's standing in a kind of tyrannical pose, with a smoking gun on his arm, and a bunch of dead Chozo at his feet including the guy he was politely debating. The red is not ominous at all.

So to me the implications here are clear. As far as I am aware, the fate of the Chozo race has never been specifically stated anywhere in the Metroid series. We know they explored the galaxy, we know they left lots of ruins and high technology, and we know they adopted Samus and gave her the Varia Suit. And we know they've just been kind of gone.

To this day we've never seen a live Chozo in a Metroid game.

People speculated they might've been wiped out by Metroids, by X Parasites, by Space Pirates. But it wasn't any of those, was it? This new evidence seems to tell us that it was actually a Chozo civil war that ended with an "evil" faction taking control. This faction and its leader were directly involved in the creation of the Metroids.

So TL;DR:

The Chozo created the Metroids to destroy the Parasite X Creatures, it looked to be a success, until the Metroids turned against them. They turn SR388 into a wasteland and escape. We then cut to a disagreement between two of the three Chozo leaders, presumably the other one is dead, going by the situation. They argue, and before you know it, the power hungry Chozo leader kills the other. He then has amassed an entire army. Game then ends. So it looks like they are teasing Another new Metroid game where an evil faction of Chozos will be the main antagonists. Meaning, during the entire series, the Chozo, at least some of them, are in fact, alive and well.

Fuck.

All of this

I love all of this

But

This could be from a Metroid 5 or Metroid Prime 4?

1 hour ago, Joseph Henry said:

All of this

I love all of this

But

This could be from a Metroid 5 or Metroid Prime 4?

Metroid 5. The 2D and Prime games are basically separate now. Sakamoto and Tanabe are separated entirely, no connection whatsoever. 

Prime 4 will start where Federation Force ended.

Also, if you look closely, the Chozo Leader has an arm canon like Samus, so he's definitely being set up as the big bad:
g6udqrH.png

Also: Going by Chozo concept art from Fusion, the troops will wear armor similar to Samus:

AmezrI1.jpg

Dat final boss... I knew he was in the game because music leaks, but I did NOT expect him to be the final boss. Holy f***ing shit. So many people are going to be happy about this.

I'm not surprised they added him to a remake. I was personally thinking it was likely he'd be a new boss or an optional boss. But the FINAL boss?

Totally picking up this game as soon as I can. Just need to get paid... I need to pester my boss/client tomorrow (freelance, I don't get paid at a set time, just roughly "every two weeks.")

Oh god Somecallmejohnny will have an orgasm with this.

I fucking love this, thanks Nintendo for giving Metroid the chance of a comeback.

I missed you Samus.

As separated as the two styles and their stories are, I really hope this is what Prime 4 has up its sleeve.  That would make just about everything a whooole lot more interesting.  I mean, it would certainly beat having to shoehorn some other silly reason for Dark Samus to still be kicking and made the big bad once more.

Isn't Prime 4 implied to wrap up the subplot of that bounty hunter (Sylux, i think?) that has been following Samus since the end of 3 and has stolen a Metroid at the end of FF?

A secret ending does not basically mean a new fusion remake is being made. A good bit of info on days adoptive family

plus baby metroid is is still cute

7 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

Isn't Prime 4 implied to wrap up the subplot of that bounty hunter (Sylux, i think?) that has been following Samus since the end of 3 and has stolen a Metroid at the end of FF?

Yes, Prime 4 is heading in a completely different direction. Tanabe has already said as much and Federation Force's ending aleady confirmed that Sylux will play a major role in the game.

“Are you familiar with the ending of Prime 3?” he asks. “You might remember the scene where Samus gets on the ship and you see the planets, but after that, there’s another ship that lands in that place. That was actually Sylux, who appeared in Metroid Prime Hunters. In my mind, I still have that idea where Sylux is going after Samus. So to continue that story is something I’d love to work on.”

As for where Federation Force fits in, Tanabe says it’s sort of like The Avengers. “Just to watch the movie Avengers to see what it’s all about, I watched the single [movies] that focused on each hero,” he says."