Awoo.

Dark Side Story in Forces?

Austroid

EggmanForces.jpg.275aa9e6731e37373000bc70255e25c7.jpg

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I thought it'd be a pretty rad SA2-callback to have a Dark story.

You're a rookie who's sided with Eggman Empire, and your levels consist of attacking Resistance cells and such. You'd be getting transmissions from The Eggman himself, and team missions would consist of you working with Shadow, Chaos, Zavok, Metal, etc. Maybe you could even lead an army of Egg Pawns to attack Resistance bases in a sort of RTS style? Just some ideas I'd put out there.

Seems like a huge missed opportunity to not include something like this.

• Thumbs Up 5

If that means a team of the OC, Modern Eggman, and Classic Eggman, then shut up and take my money.

But honestly, while it definitely ain't happening, I think it could be a really fun to see things from the Eggman Empire's perspective. SA2 was a great starring role for the Doc and his crew, and I'm really itching to see a story centered around him again.

If nothing else, a dark side story could be something to hope for in a future game, eh?

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 2

The concept of a Dark Side Story might even be the thing that got me into video games. It's not like SA2:B was my first video game ever but it sure as fuck was the first to invest me in a way I never thought possible when it came to a video game narrative at the time.

Fuck yes, I'd sell my soul to join the Eggman Empire. Sweet Jesus, would it be a privilege.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Mechano said:

If that means a team of the OC, Modern Eggman, and Classic Eggman, then shut up and take my money.

But honestly, while it definitely ain't happening, I think it could be a really fun to see things from the Eggman Empire's perspective. SA2 was a great starring role for the Doc and his crew, and I'm really itching to see a story centered around him again.

If nothing else, a dark side story could be something to hope for in a future game, eh?

Yeah, honestly that would be perfection! Speaking of Classic: where is that jolly, balloon-shaped madman? He seems oddly absent so far...

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The concept of a Dark Side Story might even be the thing that got me into video games. It's not like SA2:B was my first video game ever but it sure as fuck was the first to invest me in a way I never thought possible when it came to a video game narrative at the time.

Fuck yes, I'd sell my soul to join the Eggman Empire. Sweet Jesus, would it be a privilege.

I'm surprised that Hero/Dark Stories hasn't been used since SA2B, unless you count Shadow's multi-branched pathways... but really they didn't feel that different from each other in the end. Still its a fun and unique take on a game narrative that you hardly ever see. I'd welcome it back with open arms!

1 hour ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Eggman should really just overtake the series. He's better than any other character.

I wouldn't object to that! :P

4 hours ago, StaticMania said:

It doesn't seem really necessary. Wouldn't really add anything to the story presented so far...

Really? I thought it could've been cool to see Eggman take that 99% of the world and let the players take part in it. Heck, Zavok and Chaos levels could play similar to the Warehog, but not so long in length. You'd also get more scenes and dialogue for Eggman and who doesn't want that? *drools*

• Thumbs Up 1

A dark side story could've worked if it was part of the plan from the start, but Forces is juggling too many different ideas already, there's just no time for something like that.

Also RTS gameplay in a Sonic game would be suffering incarnate.

• Thumbs Up 3

Could definitely see a dark side story as DLC. I expect it would be more or less the same as the main game except with reskinned characters and a few different set pieces here and there.

• Thumbs Up 1

If he's not under mind control, giving Shadow his own campaign would have made a lot of sense. Shadow's the most popular of the gathered villains and he and Metal Sonic don't require much in order to give them a comparable gameplay style to Modern Sonic and the Avatar. If Shadow is joining Eggman for his own reasons and isn't under mind control/is an illusion, providing a campaign to show things from he and his fellow turned villains' perspective would have been cool. As is, I'm worried that part of the story is going to fall flat unless it's given proper time in Modern's campaign - I don't see Classic or the Avatar focusing on them too much.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, GentlemanX said:

If he's not under mind control, giving Shadow his own campaign would have made a lot of sense. Shadow's the most popular of the gathered villains and he and Metal Sonic don't require much in order to give them a comparable gameplay style to Modern Sonic and the Avatar. If Shadow is joining Eggman for his own reasons and isn't under mind control/is an illusion, providing a campaign to show things from he and his fellow turned villains' perspective would have been cool. As is, I'm worried that part of the story is going to fall flat unless it's given proper time in Modern's campaign - I don't see Classic or the Avatar focusing on them too much.

While that would be neat, the only reasons that I could even see shadow joining eggman is. " there is a larger threat no one knows about" in some marvel comics this is leading into an event type narrative. Someone promised to like... bring maria back or something, or he's literally a spy. And even those would be better suited for other characters due to shadow's change as a character. Unless shadow just really loves fascism... because that would be... an unfortunate way to literally ruin good will gained by any character ever. Ask marvel with their reception to their recent secret wars event who had to end it by introducing another version of the same character to take that characters place  " No this not nazi version this isn't real  character, this is the real version guys" . That's one of the few story beats that will gladly take mind control over. 

I'm with you being worried about the story falling flat, it just seems like its going to be a lot of dressing on a very basic almost nothing narrative. 

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 12:06 AM, Detective Kaito said:

Let's see...

latest?cb=20130524183114

petckaao2qkz.png

If this was 2001, all of them would be playable.

That's not necessarily a good thing, having a bunch of playable characters that are just skins, it's what I didn't like about SA2. Anyway, I could have seen:

- Modern gameplay for Shadow

- Classic gameplay for Metal Sonic

- Avatar gameplay for Infinite since he is basically Eggman's OC

- Eggman as a companion for Tag Team gameplay

Though I don't mind not having them playable if Tails and Knuckles are, and I really think they are, the german preview did say that the Avatar will team up with "classic Sonic characters" not just Modern Sonic (well, outside of the demo), the french preview said "A Sega PR told us some of Sonic's friends will be playable in the final game". My best guess? Tails and Knuckles are playable in the Tag Team stages. Not only they are in the boxart, but there's also the fact that while the villains have been added to the Japanese website, the resistance hasn't yet. There are just so many clues that lead to this theory.

• Thumbs Up 2

I guess the main problem with Sonic Forces including the Eggman Empire as an option is that the games haven't really established there are humanoid animals who support Eggman's mission like in Archie.

On 9/18/2017 at 5:14 AM, Jack the Rookie said:

That's not necessarily a good thing, having a bunch of playable characters that are just skins, it's what I didn't like about SA2. Anyway, I could have seen:

- Modern gameplay for Shadow

- Classic gameplay for Metal Sonic

- Avatar gameplay for Infinite since he is basically Eggman's OC

- Eggman as a companion for Tag Team gameplay

Though I don't mind not having them playable if Tails and Knuckles are, and I really think they are, the german preview did say that the Avatar will team up with "classic Sonic characters" not just Modern Sonic (well, outside of the demo), the french preview said "A Sega PR told us some of Sonic's friends will be playable in the final game". My best guess? Tails and Knuckles are playable in the Tag Team stages. Not only they are in the boxart, but there's also the fact that while the villains have been added to the Japanese website, the resistance hasn't yet. There are just so many clues that lead to this theory.

I actually like this idea! And maybe Chaos and Zavok will be playable in tag stages to round things out if Tails and Knuckles are playable in them on the Hero side as well.

15 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

I actually like this idea! And maybe Chaos and Zavok will be playable in tag stages to round things out if Tails and Knuckles are playable in them on the Hero side as well.

I think this has been deconfirmed now that there is a Shadow only story. Maybe in future DLC we could get Episode Tails or Episode Metal. I still think Tails and Knuckles could be playable in the main game though.