Awoo.

Should Sonic Be Given A Dynasty Warriors Spin Off?

SpongicX

I personally would love to see a Dynasty Warriors inspired game starring Sonic characters, "Sonic Warriors" anyone? I really think the Sonic characters and worlds would make a great setting for a Warriors inspired game. Hyrule Warriors and the upcoming Fire Emblem Warriors work really well with the gameplay, so why not Sonic? I like the Warriors games, but they can sometimes feel a little slow paced with moving around the battle fields, imagine if we were controlling Sonic characters, and racing around the battle fields, while fighting as our favorite Sonic  characters and villains? 

The basic pawn enemies would be badniks and egg pawns, the soldiers fighting for the good side could include GUN soldiers, and Chao. The dropped currency would be rings. There could even be power ups, like the elemental shields, running shoes, and invinsibility.  I would love to see how Sonic characters would work with Warriors gameplay. Imagine spin dashing and creating blue whirlwinds as Sonic, tail whipping and using explosive gadgets as Tails, punching, digging, and drilling as Knuckles, hammer swinging as Amy, chaos spearing and chaos control teleporting as Shadow, burning as Blaze, and more. It would also be a great way to bring back other characters in playable form, like Chaos 0, Tikal, Chip, Marine the Raccoon,  Sticks the Badger, the Chaotix, and many others. Maybe even throw in some guest characters from other Sega franchises, like Ai Ai from Super Monkey Ball, Amigo, and Nights. 

It would also be neat to see each character having a special attack, like Tails jumping into the Tornado or Cyclone, and ramming through enemies, Knuckles creating an explosive earthquake, Amy's pink typhoon attack, Shadow using Chaos Blast, Rouge commanding GUN to launch an attack, Blaze creating a giant flaming tornado, Silver rapidly throwing enemies around with his psychic powers, Chaos 0 becoming Pefect Chaos, and flooding the enemies, etc. 

There are so many stages from Sonic games that would work well as battlefields and fortresses for this game, including Green Hill Zone, Death Egg, Emerald Coast, Twinkle Park, Station Square, Mystic Ruins, Lost World, City Escape, The Space Colony Ark, Frog Forest, Mystic Mansion, Crisis City, Kingdom Valley, Eggman Land , and Planet Wisp. 

I really think there is a lot of potential to seeing a Sonic Warriors game. It would make a great side project for the series, while also serving as a great way to bring our favorite characters together for a new story, and a lot of fun beat 'em up gameplay as our favorite Sonic heroes and villains. I couldn't help but play Hyrule Warriors recently, and imagine how great it would be to see Sonic and pals beating up hundreds and thousands of enemies throughout a video game. Heck, I'd even take a Mario & Sonic Warriors crossover as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

A Sonic Warriors would be too addicting to me. I'd probably never see the outside of my house again.

I hadn't played a Warriors game until I bought One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 and that game is still a go-to time-waster for me. Just blows off a ton of steam whenever I want to kick something's ass. 

My character's list would admittedly be a bit more stingy. I probably wouldn't put Marine on it for instance. But I'd go for as many as I could, within reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's two obstacles towards getting me on board with a "Sonic Warriors".

The first is the question of what to reference. There are parts of this series I'd really rather not be reminded of, and I'm sure that's true of a lot of fans...but it's not always the same parts. Trying to come up with some combination of settings, characters, enemies, etc that'll please everyone is like a lesser version of trying to make a game to please everyone. With people's expectations all over the place it's hard to imagine it not either ignoring some groups entirely or ending up a little offputting to everyone.

The second is how to make the combat feel believably "Sonic". While I'm sure the various Warriors games have dealt with all sorts of crazy weapons and abilities, I'm not sure how well it could translate the feel of a series where the "combat" has mostly amounted to just jumping into guys. How would you design Sonic's attacks to deal with huge numbers of enemies while still feeling like the kind of fighting style Sonic would actually have? On top of that, to what extent can you transfer the feel of a series that revolves so strongly around movement into a genre with relatively little movement?

...I guess there's a lesser third obstacle in that these games seem to be grindy as shit by their nature and that's typically something I look down on, but I had a lot of fun with Hyrule Warriors up until the grind put me off so I'm not sure how big an issue that actually is.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Hang Castle level would have a gimmick where you can flip a switch and run along the upside down roof-tops. And the perspective would still be right side up for you but if you're playing against or with someone and you pass by a character that's currently upside down, you can see them running on the ceiling.

The Space Colony Ark level would be a massive conglomerate of areas shown to us throughout SA2 and Shadow the Hedgehog. Including the Computer Room.

I also want costumes where you can put tighty whities on the male characters.

... F-For fun...

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess the main barrier to this would be a lack of combat to draw from the series. From what I've seen of DW, you'd need a variety of attacks and some good range with them to take out a satisfying amount of enemies at once. The game could go the Fighters route and further exaggerate the stretchy limbs of the characters, but would SEGA do that nowadays? If they did lean on the cartoony side of things, there is potential. Sonic could spindash in a circle and create tornadoes to cover a larger area too.

Since Generations already brought all of the main series titles together, there's a reference for the visual design. I'd personally be more for taking less realistic zones like Final Rush and Eggmanland over City Escape and Rooftop Run, though, to give the game a more cohesive set of levels. More controversial but non-recurring elements, like the Werehog, could simply be made DLC.

Despite normally having little interest in any Dynasty Warriors installment, this actually makes me curious about a Sonic version.

• Thumbs Up 2

There comes a point in most if not all Warriors games where you realize mooks are such a non-threat that you basically just run past them all in favour of critical objectives, and in most cases you're actively encouraged to unless you have a specific kill quota to fulfill. Some part of me wonders whether that can actually work to a Sonic spinoff's advantage, where prioritizing objectives on opposite corners of the map is the whole emphasis and enemies between you and there are stepping stones to that effect.

There's a few different ways you could interpret that. You could take a literal approach and make chaining attacks through enemies faster than just running around them, like pseudo Homing Attack or Lightspeed Dash fare. You could keep a beat-em-up focus but tweak some variables that favour character specific movement quirks over blasting away hundreds of enemies at once, if not both - like a meter that allows Sonic to boost, Tails to fly over crowds and blast them from above, and so on. You could ditch the Simon Says combos entirely in favour of simple single moves more akin to a typical Sonic moveset, and crowd control is something more akin to bowling physics in that you're basically slamming  mooks directly into each other with knockback, though I get the feeling Koei would never go for something like that.

Thematically on the other hand it's a little harder to pin down, because most Warriors games of these sorts basically have complete asspull plots that usually involve some dimensional or time-based disturbance for the sake of throwbacks and character combinations they'd never otherwise be able to get away with. And I'm already getting really tired of that in main Sonic games as it is? If not something more down to earth than that, I'd love to see a twist on "Warriors get-together" formula that actually surprises me for once.

• Thumbs Up 6

Warriors games fundamentally all follow the same base formula, so end up feeling very samey and tiring after awhile. This even extends to their good spinoffs. Regarding those actually, Hyrule Warriors, while fun, doesn't really take many gameplay aspects from the Zelda series, so much as throw references to it in a warriors esque title. So I wouldn't exactly trust Koei would fundamentally change a Sonic Warriors to the point where it feels like a Sonic game still, when the point has always been more to throw franchises into the Warriors style itself more than the other way around

Spoiler

Also I want my Persona and KH Warriors already dammit.:<

It doesn't have to be by the same developers, or play exactly like a Dynasty Warriors game. I'm aware the series has repetitive flaws, but I personally think a Sonic version could speed up the gameplay and add enough variety to keep things entertaining.

At least Sonic has more unique  characters to work with, compared to Zelda and even Fire Emblem. Hyrule Warriors lacked a bunch of characters at first, and they were forced to make up a bunch of them, or pull random characters no one expected, for dlc. As for Fire Emblem, there are plenty of characters, but a lot of them are just sword wielders. Remember how SSB Melee and Brawl made the FE characters feel unique, until SSB 4 overdid it by adding more sword wielders, it kind of wore off the charm. With Sonic, most of the characters may not have weapons, but they have many unique abilities and personalities that could really make for a fun experience.

5 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Great, another excuse to bring back Green Hill!

At least it would play differently, for once. Maybe Greenhill doesn't need to be in it, it was just a suggestion.

1 hour ago, SpongicX said:

It doesn't have to be by the same developers, or play exactly like a Dynasty Warriors game. I'm aware the series has repetitive flaws, but I personally think a Sonic version could speed up the gameplay and add enough variety to keep things entertaining.

At least Sonic has more unique  characters to work with, compared to Zelda and even Fire Emblem. Hyrule Warriors lacked a bunch of characters at first, and they were forced to make up a bunch of them, or pull random characters no one expected, for dlc. As for Fire Emblem, there are plenty of characters, but a lot of them are just sword wielders. Remember how SSB Melee and Brawl made the FE characters feel unique, until SSB 4 overdid it by adding more sword wielders, it kind of wore off the charm. With Sonic, most of the characters may not have weapons, but they have many unique abilities and personalities that could really make for a fun experience.

I really don't see what there being a bunch of sword wielders in Smash 4, and that somehow stagnating the "uniqueness" has anything to do with Warriors. They only made up 2 in Warriors btw, not a bunch. And non sword/weapon not human characters doesn't guarantee anything. And really, a lot of the characters would probably just end up being Sonic with a gimmick. Silver, Shadow, Blaze, Metal Sonic, Amy, Knuckles even I could see in this situation.

3 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I really don't see what there being a bunch of sword wielders in Smash 4, and that somehow stagnating the "uniqueness" has anything to do with Warriors. They only made up 2 in Warriors btw, not a bunch. And non sword/weapon not human characters doesn't guarantee anything. And really, a lot of the characters would probably just end up being Sonic with a gimmick. Silver, Shadow, Blaze, Metal Sonic, Amy, Knuckles even I could see in this situation.

Not to me at least. Maybe you can't see it working, but I can. If you see everyone as just a clone of Sonic, then you must not have a lot of respect for the other characters.

I think it could be a fun way to showcase the different playable characters of the series, absolutely. These games are made for highlighting diverse casts of characters and moves.

Y'know, in Hyrule Warriors, Ganon and the villains were playable. So if this means an Eggman campaign where I go around blasting the shit out of enemies as our favorite rotund mad scientist, count me in.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 4

18 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

Not to me at least. Maybe you can't see it working, but I can. If you see everyone as just a clone of Sonic, then you must not have a lot of respect for the other characters.

As characters I think they're fine(though current portrayals leave much to be desired), but gameplay wise, lately if they're not unfitting genre roulette, it's usually Sonic, but with a unique ability. Now I think building off Sonic's gameplay and creating something exclusive is great and all, but if they went the Runners or Dash route vs the classic titles route, not my thing. Or maybe they'd make them fully unique characters, not saying it couldn't happen. 

12 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

... F-For fun...

Right. For Fun. *Wink*

Anyway Hellz yeah I'd play Sonic Warriors. I've never played Dynasty Warriors or even Hyrule Warriors but that Melee style could be added to Sonic so freaking well. Just Smashing endless hordes of Robots would be so much fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, SpongicX said:

At least it would play differently, for once. Maybe Greenhill doesn't need to be in it, it was just a suggestion.

If such a game was to be made, Green Hill would definitely be in it whether you wanted it or not. And Seaside Hill would probably show up too for good measure.

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

As characters I think they're fine(though current portrayals leave much to be desired), but gameplay wise, lately if they're not unfitting genre roulette, it's usually Sonic, but with a unique ability. Now I think building off Sonic's gameplay and creating something exclusive is great and all, but if they went the Runners or Dash route vs the classic titles route, not my thing. Or maybe they'd make them fully unique characters, not saying it couldn't happen. 

That's why this should be made, it would finally give these characters a chance to shine, and give fans a reason to like them. 

10 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Great, another excuse to bring back Green Hill!

...for a cutscene, then it takes you to a brand new level. :rolleyes:

I'd play the crap out of a dienasty warriors sonic game. 

Or better yet, a sonic game with swarms of robots and open level design. Give sonic a wide variety of moves and make them upgradable. Like, make a powerful spin dash that clears enemies and upgrade that shit to a blue typhoon or a monsoon or something! Man, I wanna go into detail so bad but I'll save it for later.

This sounds like a gameplay style a game like sonic forces should've had.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

... F-For fun...

Alternate costumes would be a fun edition, although I'm not quite sure I'd want them for the same reasons as you, for say. I've always loved being able to wear alternate costumes or skins for playable characters in games, who cares if they don't make sense, there's a lot of things in these games that don't make sense. Super Smash Bros knows how to have fun with alternate skin colors, and SSB4 went further by actually having exclusive costumes for certain characters as well. Sonic games have never been too heavy on alternate appearances, with the exception of the Rivals games.

It would be neat to have the option of playing as the other characters, as they wear outfits that give shout outs to past games or artwork from past Sonic games.  Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy could have classic variants. Certain characters could have their Riders gear, and Boom attire. Amy and Blaze could have their track and gym outfits from the Mario & Sonic Olympic Games franchise, Rouge could have her short lived Sonic Heroes outfit, Eggman could have a skin that makes him look like Eggman Nega, and Metal Sonic could have his Overlord appearance from Sonic Heroes. Certain characters could even have outfits to resemble their cameos from the Story Book Adventure games. 

It would also be neat to see the return of alternate costumes from previous Sonic games, like the racetrack suits from Sonic Adventure 2, Knuckle's Eggman costume from Sonic Rivals, Tomb Raider Rouge from Sonic Adventure 2, and Gothic Amy from Sonic Runners. It might also be fun to see crossover outfits from other franchises, like Knuckles dressed as a fighter from Virtua Fighter, Tails dressed as Nights, Amy dressed as Ulala from Space Channel 5, Sonic as Beat from Jet Set Radio, etc. 

Maybe not a Warriors style spinoff specifically (I do like the formula for the record), but I do feel that Sonic could do with a combat-focused spinoff like a fighting game or something. One idea I had for a Shadow spinoff game (that didn't suck) was a fast action game like Devil May Cry. I dunno but just seeing him go all out with combos and flips and stylish moves seems like what Shadow was made for rather than awkward platforming, barely-useful guns and especially those stupid 06 vehicles.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DonWaffleleven said:

Maybe not a Warriors style spinoff specifically (I do like the formula for the record), but I do feel that Sonic could do with a combat-focused spinoff like a fighting game or something. One idea I had for a Shadow spinoff game (that didn't suck) was a fast action game like Devil May Cry. I dunno but just seeing him go all out with combos and flips and stylish moves seems like what Shadow was made for rather than awkward platforming, barely-useful guns and especially those stupid 06 vehicles.

First of all Shut up. 

Second of all, That's a great idea for the Shadow the hedgehog game but being used by Platinum games Engine. Someone in  the modding community, do your stuff! 

2 hours ago, DonWaffleleven said:

It doesn't sound bad, but having just Shadow playable sounds a bit underwhelming. I'd rather get an action beat 'em up game that features a huge cast of characters.

To those who think it's impossible to fit the characters into a story mode, not every character has to be part of the story mode, there were a lot of characters in Hyrule Warriors who weren't playable, or included much in Story Mode, yet were unlockable through side mode missions and dlc. As long as the characters are optional, what's the harm in having more characters?

3D Sonic games have been lacking playable characters for about 11 years now, and I'm sick of it. I am getting sick of having just one character to play as. Sonic Forces may have 2 additional characters, but one of them is technically still Sonic, and the other is some create a character gimmick. They're still ignoring the fans who want to play as the other fan favorite characters.

I'm aware past Sonic games weren't perfect with handling other playable characters, but I really wish Sega would try. Why is it so hard for Sega to convert the Sonic Advance formula into the Sonic Adventure gameplay? Why can't we go through Sonic's Adventure gameplay of race to the goal, but with multiple optional playable characters to spice up the gameplay?

1 hour ago, SpongicX said:

It doesn't sound bad, but having just Shadow playable sounds a bit underwhelming. I'd rather get an action beat 'em up game that features a huge cast of characters.

To those who think it's impossible to fit the characters into a story mode, not every character has to be part of the story mode, there were a lot of characters in Hyrule Warriors who weren't playable, or included much in Story Mode, yet were unlockable through side mode missions and dlc. As long as the characters are optional, what's the harm in having more characters?

3D Sonic games have been lacking playable characters for about 11 years now, and I'm sick of it. I am getting sick of having just one character to play as. Sonic Forces may have 2 additional characters, but one of them is technically still Sonic, and the other is some create a character gimmick. They're still ignoring the fans who want to play as the other fan favorite characters.

I'm aware past Sonic games weren't perfect with handling other playable characters, but I really wish Sega would try. Why is it so hard for Sega to convert the Sonic Advance formula into the Sonic Adventure gameplay? Why can't we go through Sonic's Adventure gameplay of race to the goal, but with multiple optional playable characters to spice up the gameplay?

It boggles me how Sega doesn't want to do another Rush game even though those games seemed to be hits and did well with Blaze's gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

It boggles me how Sega doesn't want to do another Rush game even though those games seemed to be hits and did well with Blaze's gameplay.

The Rush games were good, but I am honestly getting sick of Sega putting too much focus on side scrollers. Sega has been neglecting the Classic and Adventure fans for a long time. Sega finally gave the classic fans what they wanted with Sonic Generations, Sonic Mania, and part of Sonic Forces, but they're still ignoring the Adventure fans. If you ask me, I personally think the Rush games were a big improvement over some of the Classic Genesis games, yet fans still complained, and demanded more games exactly like the games they played on Genesis.

I enjoyed Sonic Mania, but I couldn't help but look back at the additional controls and abilities that were added in games like Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush. To me personally, Sonic Mania felt like a few steps back, compared to what the Advance and DS games did to enhance the classic gameplay. It felt too familiar  to the past Genesis Sonic games, instead of adding enough new things to make it feel more refreshing. It was still good, but I personally grew to admire the Adventure games more. 

I've been begging for Sega to give Adventure the same treatment of taking an old concept and improving it, yet due to all the whiny fans giving a negative feed on the 3d games and characters, I doubt it's ever going to happen.  It is true that there are many people who complained about multiple characters in Sonic games, but Sega fails to realize why people complained about them. People weren't necessarily complaining about their existence, they complained about how they were used.

Sega had a streak of introducing new characters, only to immediately drop them, and try acting like they don't exist anymore, they've done it with Rouge, Cream & Cheese, Blaze, Silver, The Chaotix, Marine, and many others. Just seeing them appear in spin off games or background characters in a few games doesn't make up for neglecting these characters for so long, and not making them playable any more.

I'll admit I complained about  Tails and Knuckles's gameplay in Sonic Adventure 2 for instance. I didn't hate the characters though, I hated how they were used. I wanted to run and fly through stages as Tails, instead, we were forced to see Tails moving around in a hunky machine with terrible platforming controls. That gameplay might have made more  sense for Eggman, but for Tails, it was disappointing to not be able to get out of the mech, and start controlling Tails by foot.

Same with Knuckles, I wanted to play the same race to the goal stages as Sonic, but with Knuckles's abilities, instead I'm stuck playing through long and boring treasure hunts. I know I'm not the only one who has complained about this. There are even fans who had to forcefully make mods for PC versions of these games, that allow you to play as other characters in other stages, because they hated how limited it felt to have these characters be limited to unfavorable levels and gameplay gimmicks.

Sega seems to take these complaints the wrong way, and thinks fans are complaining we don't want other characters. The fans don't want these characters gone, we want to see them treated better. We want to see them share the same levels as Sonic, but be able to utilize their own strengths and weaknesses to enhance the gameplay. 

Sega can never seem to get enough dedication to properly bringing us the characters we want. It's bad enough they cut them out from being playable, but even their roles in the games have been terrible. Sure, the characters are said to be given more supportive roles in Sonic Forces, but it just feels like teasing. We still probably aren't going to see much of them, and they're still not playable. I really hope Sonic Forces can somehow encourage Sega to make  these characters playable again in the future, but if it does well, I fear it's just going to encourage Sega to keep teasing the fans by not making the others playable, and keeping the focus on just Sonic again.

At least a game like Dynasty Warriors would be a great way to show how each Sonic character has many unique abilities, which should be used more productively in the main games. For instance, Hyrule Warriors made me impressed with some characters that I never cared that much for to begin with. When I first heard Ruto would be playable in Hyrule Warriors, I wasn't too impressed, I honestly hated that character, but because the game made her combat so bizarre and fun to control, it kind of made me feel guilty of having any doubts. They took an annoying character from Ocarina of Time, and made her into one of my favorite playable characters in Hyrule Warriors, just for her insane water attacks. They were even able to make Midna into a playable character, and she worked incredibly well, both her imp form and human like form. If a creative team could take any NPC Zelda character, and turn them into bad ass fighters, imagine what the right team and dedication could do for the heavily neglected Sonic characters.

• Thumbs Up 1