Awoo.

Should Sonic Be Given A Dynasty Warriors Spin Off?

SpongicX

Not to get too off topic but the demand for other playable characters is there. Otherwise Sonic Dash would only contain Sonic, classic sonic, boom sonic, werehog Sonic, and classic Sonic from another dimension. People celebrated Mania for having Tails and Knuckles be playable (among other things). We reacted in bemusement toward the Avatar in Forces, finally a new PC that isn't Sonic or a derivative of Sonic or just Sonic with stupid powerups.

I could see how such a Warriors game would work. Most mooks in the series only take 1 hit to kill anyway so only making them slightly more healthy whilst giving the cast more attack options wouldn't really be much of a stretch. I could even think of a name for such a game:

Toot Toot Sonic Warriors.

that was terrible...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, DonWaffleleven said:

I could even think of a name for such a game:

Toot Toot Sonic Warriors.

that was terrible...

I think Super Sonic Warriors would work a bit better. lol

Anyways, yes. I'd be 100% all for this since I've always wanted more action-based and oriented spinoff games. Whether they were fighting games, Action RPGs or just mindless hack & slash like the Warriors games.

And I LOVE Warriors spinoff games. <3

• Thumbs Up 1

Even if we can't all agree on whether a Sonic Warriors game would work or not, I'm just glad to see many of us agree that we do need more games that give the other characters a chance to shine. I think you guys have made good suggestions.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

57 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I would rather have a fast-paced Action RPG inspired by Kingdom Hearts or the recent Ys games by Falcom.

I've wanted a KH Warriors as well. I remember seeing people mod the PS2 games, to let players control ally characters, or have bosses fight each other, and it made me imagine how great it would be to see a DW or fighting game using the characters from KH, Final Fantasy, and Disney.

Fighting Heartless and Nobodies would work so well with DW gameplay. It would be neat to be able to explore the Disney based worlds. We could play as many characters who were limited to just boss fights, allies, or even NPCs. I suddenly have the urge to see Oogie Boogie fighting off a bunch of Heartless with dance moves. rolling dice, and using gambling inspired torture devices. 

We'd be lucky for KH3 to even let us play as our partners. I'm still waiting to play a KH game that congratulates you for completing the game, and tells you that "you can now swap Sora around with your party members, and let them take over for a bit". Who wouldn't want to play as Donald, Goofy, Jack Skellington, and the others?

If anything, KH3 is teasing the idea of Kairi being playable during the training level, since she's training with Lea to wield a keyblade. I could imagine the game treating Kairi's training like a way for newcomers to learn how to play the game, or teach fans the differences added in the new game. After that, it will likely cut back to Sora arriving at Olympus. Who knows if Kairi and Riku will be playable in KH3, or how long they would be playable, but I hope the game allows us to unlock them along the way, and allow us to replay levels as them, by swapping Sora out with then.

9 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

I've wanted a KH Warriors as well. I remember seeing people mod the PS2 games, to let players control ally characters, or have bosses fight each other, and it made me imagine how great it would be to see a DW or fighting game using the characters from KH, Final Fantasy, and Disney.

Fighting Heartless and Nobodies would work so well with DW gameplay. It would be neat to be able to explore the Disney based worlds. We could play as many characters who were limited to just boss fights, allies, or even NPCs. I suddenly have the urge to see Oogie Boogie fighting off a bunch of Heartless with dance moves. rolling dice, and using gambling inspired torture devices. 

We'd be lucky for KH3 to even let us play as our partners. I'm still waiting to play a KH game that congratulates you for completing the game, and tells you that "you can now swap Sora around with your party members, and let them take over for a bit". Who wouldn't want to play as Donald, Goofy, Jack Skellington, and the others?

If anything, KH3 is teasing the idea of Kairi being playable during the training level, since she's training with Lea to wield a keyblade. I could imagine the game treating Kairi's training like a way for newcomers to learn how to play the game, or teach fans the differences added in the new game. After that, it will likely cut back to Sora arriving at Olympus. Who knows if Kairi and Riku will be playable in KH3, or how long they would be playable, but I hope the game allows us to unlock them along the way, and allow us to replay levels as them, by swapping Sora out with then.

The 1000 Heartless battles in KH2 are the closest Kingdom Hearts ever got to a Dynasty Warriors game, and it was cool. I would like a Sonic Warriors game, but I don't have faith in SEGA to release a good one, even if they're not the ones developing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 8 months later...

I bet Sonic could get his own "Dynasty Warriors" title. I mean, if Nintendo can get away with re-releasing Hyrule Warriors (as well as OTHER Wii U to Switch ports and a ridiculously dumb idea as Nintendo LABO), it proves anyone can have a DW game (Fire Emblem has one as does Gundam).

Here's what can make it great:
- Have the characters battle system similar to that of "Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric"
- Make it Sonic's next "anniversary" title (I think his 30th Anniversary is next, right?)
- Use the Chaos Emeralds as a plot point
- Mix in characters from the comics and television shows (ex. Sticks the Badger, the Freedom Fighters, Tangle the Lemur)
- Give fans of "Forces" the chance to bring their Avatar back (like the save data recognition between DB Xenoverse 1 -> Xenoverse 2)
- Have Super Form an optional "final boss" power-up for Sonic, Shadow and Silver
- Free DLC periodically (like Splatoon)
- Re-use famous locations from Sonic's long line of games as maps
- Make new routes based off character types (ex. Loops for Sonic/Speed, Air rings for Tails/Flight, breakable walls for Knuckles/Power)
- Allow playable villains besides the heroes

2 hours ago, Aster_Hedgehog said:

I bet Sonic could get his own "Dynasty Warriors" title. I mean, if Nintendo can get away with re-releasing Hyrule Warriors (as well as OTHER Wii U to Switch ports and a ridiculously dumb idea as Nintendo LABO), it proves anyone can have a DW game (Fire Emblem has one as does Gundam).

Here's what can make it great:
- Have the characters battle system similar to that of "Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric"
- Make it Sonic's next "anniversary" title (I think his 30th Anniversary is next, right?)
- Use the Chaos Emeralds as a plot point
- Mix in characters from the comics and television shows (ex. Sticks the Badger, the Freedom Fighters, Tangle the Lemur)

Someone’s got a Nintendo-related axe to grind. I’m pretty grateful for the Wii U ports- makes sense to get great games folks missed onto a system folks are actually buying. Especially since Hyrule Warriors has all the DLC stuff and re-jigs a lot of the game’s more tedious aspects.

Anyway, most of these suggestions are just nigh-givens for a Dynasty Warriors game, but others... don’t really make much sense. Why throw out the Warriors series’ trademark combat in favour of the monotony of Boom? Not that Warriors is exactly deep, but Boom is just a 3-hit combo and that’s it, that’s your combat. Warriors handles considerably differently.

Mixing the continuities would be more likely here than in the main series, but I still can’t see SEGA wanting to cross the different media incarnations of Sonic over like that - especially not with the Freedom Fighters, who’s fate is up in the air for the comics themselves right now.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Someone’s got a Nintendo-related axe to grind. I’m pretty grateful for the Wii U ports- makes sense to get great games folks missed onto a system folks are actually buying. Especially since Hyrule Warriors has all the DLC stuff and re-jigs a lot of the game’s more tedious aspects.

Anyway, most of these suggestions are just nigh-givens for a Dynasty Warriors game, but others... don’t really make much sense. Why throw out the Warriors series’ trademark combat in favour of the monotony of Boom? Not that Warriors is exactly deep, but Boom is just a 3-hit combo and that’s it, that’s your combat. Warriors handles considerably differently.

Mixing the continuities would be more likely here than in the main series, but I still can’t see SEGA wanting to cross the different media incarnations of Sonic over like that - especially not with the Freedom Fighters, who’s fate is up in the air for the comics themselves right now.

It's not that I'm trying to "throw out" the combat. I was saying that the way Sonic and friends fought in Rise of Lyric could be where they could get inspiration for combo attacks if they implemented them to the Sonic cast. Sonic sometimes feel stiff when you see his generic 3 "A" button combo in Smash Bros.

Also, about mixing the other realities with the games, you can't tell me that you forgot Sticks is in the Rio Olympic Games when everyone else is game continuity. Plus, the likes of Bean, Bark and Fang weren't game originals to my knowledge. I think mixing the roster with the other worlds could be good to get attention for the game from longtime fans of Archie Comics. They could even use the last design changes to them.

like a lot of people said, they'd need to make it feel like sonic. like it belongs here. they could tie your health bar to your ring count, among other things to make it feel like it belongs in this series.

if they do make it feel somewhat like sonic, then i'd be up for it. (despite never playing a dynasty warriors/musou title)

14 minutes ago, Aster_Hedgehog said:

It's not that I'm trying to "throw out" the combat. I was saying that the way Sonic and friends fought in Rise of Lyric could be where they could get inspiration for combo attacks if they implemented them to the Sonic cast. Sonic sometimes feel stiff when you see his generic 3 "A" button combo in Smash Bros.

They fought like fuckin' trash in RoL, though. There are better things to take inspiration from. And considering how differently a Warriors game would approach combat, most of the moves probably wouldn't translate meaningfully anyway.

Plus, the likes of Bean, Bark and Fang weren't game originals to my knowledge.

They were.

I think mixing the roster with the other worlds could be good to get attention for the game from longtime fans of Archie Comics. They could even use the last design changes to them.

How much is there to gain from trying to appeal to the fanbase of a branch of the series that is already dead, though?

• Thumbs Up 2

No. Sonic's world isn't developed and consistent enough for a Warrior's game. Even Mario is better suited considering what's been done in the RPGs (especially how much Bowser's Minions have been given character unlike Eggman's Empire outside of the Good Doctor, Metal Sonic, and the Geometric Bots).

I would love to see a Warrior Sonic like what Nintendo did with Zelda! Have Amy defeat foes with hearts and cuteness, Wave can use her air gear, & Zeena can use her powers to control ice and snow! I would make Big fight like Ganondorf seems fitting.    

• Chuckle 1

I can see some of the combos used in Heroes showing up in this, mainly team blasts and Big's fishing rod finisher (only have him moving this time). 

Tails could use his enhanced tail sweep from Sonic Adventure. Amy could use her giant hammer from Advance 3 as part of a super attack. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Almar said:

No. Sonic's world isn't developed and consistent enough for a Warrior's game. Even Mario is better suited considering what's been done in the RPGs (especially how much Bowser's Minions have been given character unlike Eggman's Empire outside of the Good Doctor, Metal Sonic, and the Geometric Bots).

Are you kidding? Its more consistent than a story about a "plumber" playing the knight in shining armor role against a fire breathing turtle. Nothing about Mario's world even makes sense when you compare it to the way they built the Hyrule Warriors games. I mean, most of Bowser's army consists of Goomba and Koopa soldiers that can't even get out of a pit. Eggman at least arms his robots with stuff like blasters and shields. Only characters on Bowser's army with any shred of intelligence are Bowser himself and the Koopa brats + Bowser Jr.

If anything, Mario games hardly re-use anything except the STORY (like re-hashing Galaxy's exact plot line and calling it a "Galaxy 2")

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Aster_Hedgehog said:

Are you kidding? Its more consistent than a story about a "plumber" playing the knight in shining armor role against a fire breathing turtle.

Tell us what the world of Adventure 2 has in common with the world of Heroes in tone and visuals, let alone Ow the Edge and Lost World. And tell us WHAT Tails' character is supposed to be nowadays (see him cowering in fear at the most loserlike of all Eggman bots), let alone with other moments that are at odds with characters' past showings (see Knuckles the Resistance Boss that only has a lazy attempt in the comic to address it).

Sonic's world is more incoherent despite awkward attempts to present illusions of continuity or worldbuilding since his handlers have been wishy-washy on having hard rules on how to show it (see the already mentioned visuals and tones).

Nothing about Mario's world even makes sense when you compare it to the way they built the Hyrule Warriors games. I mean, most of Bowser's army consists of Goomba and Koopa soldiers that can't even get out of a pit.

Bowser has plenty of minions besides them (Magikoopas, Boos, Monty Moles, Hammer Bros.) who can easily fill niches already represented or not in Warriors games (spellcasting, getting past terrain, "weird warfare", ranged combat). His army isn't any less diverse than Ganon's is. And considering all the OCs in past Warriors games AND characters like the Elite Trio from Bowser's Inside Story it'd be easy enough to just make OCs to be Bowser's commanders when they couldn't use already characters.

Eggman at least arms his robots with stuff like blasters and shields.

And that's not having character compared to having actual dialogue. Mario games have been characterizing Bowser's Minions since 64 at the latest. And mind you, Eggman's Badniks have been stripped of diversity and color for awhile with him having so many Egg Pawns. It's shown from Tingle and Agatha that the developers can stretch far for a moveset when they dig a character enough so not having "muh hardcore battle skills" actually wouldn't be automatically a problem considering how KOEI develops their Warriors games.

Only characters on Bowser's army with any shred of intelligence are Bowser himself and the Koopa brats + Bowser Jr.

And Kamek. And the Boom Boom Duo. And the Elite Trio. And King Boo. All recurring characters. Let alone all the nameless minions with dialogue seen in the RPGs. Compare this to Eggman's Empire in the games where currently only Eggman, Metal Sonic, and the SSSSS Squad wannabes are presented as having anything like a personality (obviously ignoring one-offs like the E series or Gmerl/G-Mel/Whatever).

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Aster_Hedgehog said:

I mean, most of Bowser's army consists of Goomba and Koopa soldiers that can't even get out of a pit.

Considering that most enemies in Warriors games are braindead fodder that actually makes them more fitting.

On 9/16/2017 at 12:50 PM, Pawn said:

I guess the main barrier to this would be a lack of combat to draw from the series.

Heroes, Battle, Fighters, Sonic in Smash, Werehog, Chronicles, Rise of Lyric, I think there is a enough for a game.

Anyway I want that spin off just to finally do something with Sonic cast. My biggest concern would be that Sega would once again just try to copy what's popular, like God of War Unleashed or Sonic Lost Galaxy.

Still, even if this was a obviously weaker clone to Hyrule Warriors, I would probably play it to death anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1