Awoo.

My Hero Academia

Soniman

863ba423b729f58769a4004834e5554e14910694

Let me talk to you guys about this real quick

My Hero Academia is the new rising Shounen on the block, potentially rivialing its contemporaries like Naruto and Bleach in poularity. It gained a lot of traction, probably because its pretty dang good. 

The story is about a boy named Deku who, in a world of people with superpowers, has none of his own. But as fate would have it he runs into his idol, the world's number 1 hero All Might. From there the story goes into a underdog tale of Deku working hard and improving to hopefully someday become the world's greatest hero himself. Stqarting by attentind a prestegious hero academy with other fellow heroes who share the same goals.

While not the most freshest or most subversive anime/manga around, it does play around with the formula enough to keep things from being to formulaic or predictable. Character archetypes you've come to expect are played with and twisted so they're given a relatively fresh perspective. Our main character is a emotoinal, talentless boy who wears his heart on his sleeve, as opposed to a confident, niave hot head that comes to permeate the genre. Character designs are fun, varied and well thought out, the "power system" with quirks are all unique and are mostly on a even keel, your power is what you make of it, and even with the most seemingly unimpressive power you can becaome a competent fighter and hero, it makes fights more interesting when everyone has something unique to bring to the table and isnt goverened by a single power system.

I could go on about the gut punching emotional moments, the mostly solid character development and relationships with each other, and so on but id honestly say check it out for yourself. The anime has 2 seasons and is about to finish it's second one, the manga is ongoing so if you dont wanna wait just read that! If you wanna watch the anime id say go for either sub or dub since they're both really solid. 

I leave off with this brilliant piece of music from the anime

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 2

It's alright. I'm not saying it's the best one on the block but it's pretty on the top ten list of holy shit this anime is great.  I didn't expect it to come from a source of Shonen Jump. But hey I've been proven wrong before. It reflects a lot on the story formula that we ignored in One Punch Man. Because it broadens the horizon even more than just focusing on one hero being this badass out of the blue. Not only does My Hero Academia focuses on what it means to be a hero and damn does it do great with it. The tests for the students are unappalling one of my favorite arcs for the series. It shows us that you need to be more than just fast and strong, you need to show people that hey. I'm here for you  today and I am going to help you. 

Honestly, I give it a 9 out of 10. I just think that we should put more focus on Deku. 

Absolute favorite manga (And Shonen) of all time for me, even beating One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Hunter x Hunter. I love it so much I'm not only buying the English manga but the Japanese volumes, the Japanese Weekly Shonen Jump magazines where its featured on the cover, and buying other merch (Such as the Jump Ryu! that was released for 20+ Shonen Jump mangaka). 

While the story is simple, it's very earnest with its message of anyone can be a hero if they give it their all along with the other inspirational messages it carries. I've always loved super heroes, but never read a Marvel/DC Western comic in my entire life, but mostly have stuck to Marvel/DC movies/cartoons for my Western super hero fix, but it feels nice to be able to read a Japanese manga that blends Eastern culture together with Western culture nicely. From the core theme of super heroes to the dynamic and stylish art style where Horikoshi can use real nice black lines on All Might, it's a great. Another great thing are the many character designs created for the series. The guy has a real unique art style going for him, and he's darn good at drawing a lot of details on characters.

Speaking of Horikoshi, I've known him since his first work which was the Zoo manga, and despite that being cancelled along with Barrage, I'm glad that on his third serialization here in Shonen Jump that he managed to nail it. You can really feel how passionate he is about working on the series because of how big of a superhero fanboy he is (He has a pretty big Marvel/DC collection going on!) I'm just really happy for him because he's certainly not a bad mangaka. I also quite enjoy the fact that he reuses some of his old characters from his first manga in Hero Academia. Whether the characters are being introduced as Pro Heroes, or a character being a prototype in the Zoo manga that'll eventually turn into Katsuki Bakugo in Hero Academia. It's great stuff.

The anime adaption by Studio Bones has been doing an excellent job of adapting the source material. Season 1 was the way it was because it was started on way too early, but thankfully things for season 2 are much better. I'm sure a season 3 will come along fast eventually when Studio Bones is a bit more free. Anyways, glad that Hero is blowing up. Before the anime came, I knew it was a special series and would eventually become one of the top manga in Jump because of how well written it is. Horikoshi is still doing a pretty good job currently in the manga and I hope he continues to stay consistently good and doesn't overwork himself either.

I've seen people describe MHA as a series that doesn't really do anything particularly new or unique, but what it does do, it does very well, and I think that's pretty accurate.

Like, the main character having/getting an incredibly strong power is pretty standard shonen, but Deku doesn't master it instantly and it's never treated as an instant win button. Early on he spends a lot of time maiming himself because his quirk's too powerful for his body to handle, so he has to both slowly learn how to control it and figure out how to succeed without it or minimize damaging himself when he can't avoid it. And it's not just a matter of physical training; Deku's a huge nerd, and his breakthroughs usually don't come from just getting stronger, but from studying heroes and his fellow students and from looking at his quirk in a different light. All together it really makes it feel like he's growing and learning over time, not just arbitrarily getting a power boost when the plot says he needs to.

Horikoshi also deserves props for making such a likable and interesting cast. There's maybe two characters from Class A who haven't done much to stand out yet, but otherwise pretty much everyone has either had a fair amount of screentime and development or has an interesting enough hook that I want to know more.

So yeah, it's good shit.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hori shito, yes!

Spoiler

daa.gif

I'm loving this anime now that I have the chance to watch it on Crunchyroll.

The story is indeed pretty cliche, the archetypes are pretty cliche, even the arcs are very cliche.

But damn is it good, emotional and funny at all the right measures. The soundtrack is top-notch too, I don't recall an anime in recent story where the music that plays during the episode got stuck in my head. The theme "You Say Run" is goosebumps material, a fitting music for an anime about super heroes. Character designs are all likeable and the quirks are always played in a smart and creative way.

Deku is adorkable. All Might is hillariously great. Iida and Ochako are awesome. The frog girl (which I can't remember the name right now xD) is HILLARIOUS. I just hate Bakugo, but I think that's the point of his character.

And the animation, hell yes. It's great. Not the most well animated anime out there, but it's at least consistent *cough* DBS *cough*.

Man this anime. I really hope they don't go overboard and make this into another fucking Naruto. I think 3 or 4 seasons can wrap everything well enough. 

I really love the character designs in this manga, both for the heroes and villains.

Also, the theme songs for the anime have been really good.

"Go beyond...PLUS ULTRA!"

This show gets me pumped pretty much every time I watch it. Very few shows have that effect on me--and I'm not even particularly a fan of the western super hero genre. Love it.

• 2 months later...

Found the proper thread at last! Hope no one minds if I bump it up a bit :U...

Yep, this show is awesome, no question asked.

It’s become my second favorite anime just behind Dragon Ball, but with how addicted I’m getting into this series, it just might beat it a bit (but not really since DB is a long time classic favorite lol).

It’s so strange how I ended loving MHA considering I’m the same guy who didn’t bother watching One Punch Man, One Piece etc, I never really expected to openly get into it but I somehow managed to and pretty much became an official fan after finishing two of the seasons.

Characters are very charming, fun and overall badass, Deku is a really interesting aversion of the usual “idiot who punches first without thinking” shonen protagonist, the way he actually takes the time to use his brain and studies attacks makes him a really good fighter and rootable person.

Bakugo is an asshole don’t get me wrong...yet I started to find it a bit appealing in him after he went out of the typical bully phase a few episodes later, there’s something his constant batshit anger and stubborn pride that makes him a very interesting rival.

Class 1-A in general is a room full of charm and cuties and I really want to see more of their shenanigans and interactions between them.

All Might is well...All Might.

Also, this show has some really cool designs for both heroes and villains.

Did I mention, it’s hilarious too?

So yeah...MHA rules and I’m excited for both the upcoming game and Season 3!

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...

So... How about that new Season 3 PV that dropped this morning? 

Opening theme song called "Odd Future" performed by Uverworld.

• Way Past Cool 1

Man, I am so ready for this. I can't tell you how glad I am to have finally gotten my act together to sit down and watch this. I was hooked pretty much after the first episode and finished what we currently have in week. I might not even wait on the dub this time around and go subbed just to see it as soon as possible. First episode hits right on my birthday too. XD

Also, I am mad eager right now to hear more of that new opening. The previous two have low key been on repeat on my phone over the past month (not so much the first opener but that one's still pretty good) and from what I can hear of this one... I'm ready to do the same with it.

Like damn, that's both the best and worst thing about anime. You often get stuck waiting for a new season but you're also often waiting on those soundtracks as well.

• 1 month later...

SEASON 3 HAS OFFICIALLY STARTED!

I've been up since 5am just to watch the season 3 premiere episode the moment it dropped on Crunchyroll, and despite it being a recap episode mixed with original anime content, it was still very much enjoyable. Manga will start being adapted with episode 2.

Both OP and ED are fantastic. I really think this is the best OP, and maybe I'm putting the song over OP 2 "Peace Sign" song now because I used to be a massive Uverworld fanboy back in middle/high school and those feelings are resurfacing. 

• Fist Bump 1

While both the visual and song is fantastic, my main problem with the OP is that doesn’t synch well together.

Plus, I’m disappointed that the most epic part of the song only had one verse and was only near the end.

That honestly seems to be the same complaint that I've seen from others on Reddit, along with people not digging the song. It was a bit disappointing that it didn't sync well, especially after we got OP 3 which was the best in terms of syncing, but I think I'm excusing it mostly because of hype visuals and I really like the song. In the future I hope we get back to OP 3 levels of sync tho. 

Yo, gotta say... that intro is CLEAN guys! I need the full version of this song in my life. I'm so mad we have to wait a another whole month for it.

Gotta say I'm also a fan of the intro itself. It wasn't quite there for me in my first watch (saw that syncing issue that others have noted) but something clicked in the second run and I haven't been able to stop hitting the repeat button on it since. The animation is outstanding.

I have to wait about a week to start watching this season though. Apparently Funimation is actually going to start streaming the dub alongside the episode's actual release which is fucking insane. I've been waiting to see this happen for years so if Funimation can actually pull this off I'll gladly pay for their streaming service just to support them. The amount of hurdles they're probably jumping through for this is unheard of. They're literally breaking new ground in this industry with this.

How dare. Op 1 and 2 are on my top 10 anime music, I'm listening to Peace Sign as we speak (type) :P

I'll probably start watching S3 when there's like 10 episodes available or so.

The only reason it hasn't been on the block already is because of a deal between Funimation and Hulu. It must have become available.

I know Demarco (one of the two guys in charge of Toonami) originally said Hero Academia license was pretty expensive so that was a reason it wasn't originally on Toonami, but for whatever reason, glad it's coming to the block now. I always thought it was inevitable.

Newest episode has dropped! Thoughts below on the episode

Episode 41 - Kota (Manga chapters 72 & 73)

A really fun episode in general. One thing I appreciate is the anime covering EVERY Class 1-A student training methods. In the manga it just kinda showed us panels of the kids doing stuff and the side material Horikoshi writes had to give descriptions as to what the kids were individually doing to increase their Quirks (and if you don't look at the side material that comes inside the manga volumes, then you wouldn't know this).

tumblr_p7ja1oQhJw1vb2040o1_540.gif

Also, these comedy moments translate so well into the anime. Bless Studio Bones.

Also, we learn about Kota and why he hates heroes, or more specifically, the hero society in general. I think having a character like Kota is important because he's just a young kid that lost his parents in an incident, and while everyone praise them for their heroic death, they left a child behind and no one acknowledges that. Having a character like Kota, I feel, as a little more taste of reality into this world. It also shows that being a hero and having a family isn't sometimes the best option, because of stuff like this.

And finally, villains have arrived! This is where Season 3 becomes the peak of the entire Hero Academia story! Heroes vs Villains, let's go!

tumblr_p7j8qxOn0c1um42ooo2_540.gif

tumblr_p7j8qxOn0c1um42ooo1_r1_540.gif

Fall back down to the earth, Heroes.

Next episode will cover about 3 manga chapters (74 - 76) because it's titled

"My Hero"

• Thumbs Up 2

Toonami airing MHA. All is right with the world now. Hopefully it will kill in the ratings. It really is a fantastic show that fits Toonami like a glove.

Thoughts on Episode 43 - My Hero along with a word from Horikoshi to clear any confusion!
(Manga chapters 74 - 76 covered) 

6wzazQ2HVd_GIT638dn9-8p2YAOdzcEOAVJ9FtntWeo.png?w=489&s=375fdd2cd52c0770c36bf2f78f254074

Please don't think Deku really pulled out a 1 million% Smash. It was just a random number that he chose that signified him pushing past his limits! A battle cry!

Goodness I've been waiting forever for this fight to get animated. Reading it weekly in the manga left me shook and crying when chapter 76 "My Hero" dropped, and Studio Bones delivered. Absolutely delivered in every way with this fight. Muscular is pretty much the first villain that's not completely out of commission, but I really do enjoy him for his over the top love for fighting and blood. I know this overall could be seen as a generic fight with the villain obviously being the one that killed Kota's parents, or how obviously the amount of strategy used in the fight wasn't much because both fighters Quirks are strength Quirks.

Izuku vs Muscular was basically All Might vs Nomu 2.0, but it still had as much heart put into it within the writing just like the All Might fight had. A Hero is meant to save people and put their words into action, and Deku really did it. I'm glad Kota finally found the Hero he needed. 

tumblr_p7wco0WMPt1qd9l4po1_1280.jpg

Also, Deku's Japanese voice actor was absolutely amazing. Well good job. 

And 3 of the best songs from season 2 OST was used during the fight (The 4th song is a new song from season 3 and S3 OST hasn't been released yet!)

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m suprised no one else brought up the newest episode as soon I was eventually...

Spoiler

BUT HOLY SHIT THAT MUSCULAR BATTLE WAS INTENSE!!

At first, it was a bit disappointing that they didn’t use You Say/JetSet/V3? Run or more epic song for the climax but the music they used really showed the emotion and drive that Deku goes through to save someone that he only met a few days ago and frankly, it’s pretty damn powerful on it’s own.

Not to mention how much hell he through with his arms, it’s even sad to think it was almost over when he was overtaken until Kota gave him a few seconds to win the fight.

Muscular is definitely one of my favorite villians now, and I’m looking forward to the upcoming Mustard fight next week!

And as a dub watcher, I just wanna say that Justin Briner’s (English Deku) performance was fantastic as well, kudos to Muscular and Kota’s VA as well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Dee Dude said:

I’m suprised no one else brought up the newest episode as soon I was eventually...

Hide contents

BUT HOLY SHIT THAT MUSCULAR BATTLE WAS INTENSE!!

At first, it was a bit disappointing that they didn’t use You Say/JetSet/V3? Run or more epic song for the climax but the music they used really showed the emotion and drive that Deku goes through to save someone that he only met a few days ago and frankly, it’s pretty damn powerful on it’s own.

Not to mention how much hell he through with his arms, it’s even sad to think it was almost over when he was overtaken until Kota gave him a few seconds to win the fight.

Muscular is definitely one of my favorite villians now, and I’m looking forward to the upcoming Mustard fight next week!

And as a dub watcher, I just wanna say that Justin Briner’s (English Deku) performance was fantastic as well, kudos to Muscular’s VA as well.

I honestly need to watch this episode in English because I love Justin Briner as Deku, but I'm honestly really curious as to how Muscular sounds. 

Despite reading this fight ages ago, I still managed to start crying over it. 

Muscular crushing Deku and it making it seem like it was over and how the light faded from his eyes hit me hard. 

Good episode. My favorite episode in the entire anime now.

• Thumbs Up 1