Awoo.

My Hero Academia

Soniman

Yup! The entire story is basically being narrated by Future Deku. 

Hero.thumb.png.fa6015f1ae7f014234ceec3c1dc37d42.png

So, we already know he'll become a great one in the future and such. (I guess it possibly was obvious this is a Shonen lol), but we're just heading towards that great event that turns him into one. For what it's worth, he's still a 1st year at U.A. There's 3 term years in Japan, so we still have a ways to go until he becomes a 3rd year and graduates, and whether or not we'll see the Class 1-A kids as future Pro Heroes doing work (like a Shippuden version of Hero) is up in the entire, honestly. I guess it depends on how much Shigaraki develops his League of Villains group during Deku's time as a 2nd and 3rd year at U.A. That'll decide the length of the story, I'm sure.

But hey, hopefully you can get more into Hero as the story progresses. If you've been keeping up with the anime then

Deku and the others got their Hero Licenses which opens up them to actually use their Quirks against villains outside. Now they have permission and won't get in trouble for getting into fights outside, like how Deku/Iida/Todoroki did when they fought Stain without a license. This should help open Hero up more, along with any future internships with pro heroes.

But yeah. If the slice of life/down periods still aren't your thing, I hope the main story about One For All/All For One is gripping enough to keep you here for the long Shonen ride!

I saw the movie the other day in a packed theater and I highly recommend that anyone who is a fan of the series watches it! Lots of great moments and I especially orally loved how the final battle played out.

Watched the movie last night

I liked it. It was a really nice in-between for seasons 2 and 3 (especially since it supplies probably the only time Deku and All Might work together to take down an enemy and with AFO's involvement). The other students were a delight to see as most of them were helpful (though I kind of wished Ochaco did more given how underused she often is). The story was pretty nice (even if the main villain is bland, I do like Keith Silverstein's performance) and Melissa, while a little flat to me, was very likable. The twist was kind of predictable, but I feel they kind of did enough with David's reason for his actions.

Anyways, great movie. 8.5/10

Sidenote: I was delighted to hear the audience's reactions to some parts of the movie, like the characters' appearing on screen and Deku punching the lackey who cut Melissa in the stairway.

Going back to the theaters this Saturday to watch it for a third time! PLUS ULTRA!!!!

1197583058_HeroHype.thumb.png.e7cc93852f75d480e4f0c6195f2602e2.png

Also, shout out to everyone that has managed to make this happen so far! While, yes, this is only including sales data for the first two days and not last night to make three days (It should update some time today with Thursday sales), we've still managed to push Hero Academia close to 2 million in sales in only two days! 

If you want to monitor and keep up with the sales for the movie, you can check it out here: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=myheroacademia.htm

ALSO!!!

According to IGN recent article, because the movie has been performing so strongly, there's been additional days added by theaters to meet demands of people wanting to see this movie! Originally it was supposed to run for 5 exclusive days (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Tuesday of Oct 2nd), but now I've seen that there are listings for the movie for Friday the 28th and Sunday the 30th!

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/27/my-hero-academia-two-heroes-opens-strongly-at-the-box-office

I can certainly see Hero Academia reaching 3 to 4 million in box office sales! 

• 4 weeks later...

And now a live action film has been announced to be in the works.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10/24/my-hero-academia-live-action-movie-reportedly-in-development

For the longest I've been believing that a live action movie was going to happen, so I'm not surprised at this. Nothing on who is being casted and such, but we do know

- Legendary Entertainment is working on the film (King Kong, Jurassic World, Detective Pikachu movie)

- Alex Garcia and Jay Ashenfelter from Legendary will be working on the film, while it's being supervised by Ryosuke Yoritomi over in Japan from Shueisha 

- TOHO will be distributing the film in Japan

• 2 months later...

Major Reveal in latest Chapter:

Spoiler

Deku will be getting 6 new quirks from past users of One for All. The first new quirk is called Black Whip.

Spoiler

Yeah, I've already mentioned the reveal in one of my status updates.

From Quirkless to having 7 Quirks, one of them being one of the world's strongest... What a development.

And all the previous Quirks from previous holders of One for All have it's strength boosted, thanks to the stockpiling power of One for All. It doesn't feel like a bullshit reveal, it makes sense with how the Quirk works.

Little Izuku has so much to learn...

horikoshi is totally using black whip as an excuse to turn deku into spider-man, isn't he

• 2 weeks later...

Am I to assume this is another thread where everyone is watching subs and translated chapters fresh from Japan?

Months ago, while trying to find a place to watch a couple of episodes I had missed due to technical issue, I learned that this show has apparently been dubbed and available for a while. Fast forward to now in my current situation and I occasionally debate just going ahead and watching ahead instead of watching with Toonami.

Anyway, finally seeing the Final Exams start up, I remembered something from my first impressions: Did anyone else notice how many of the heroes look more like villains?

13 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Months ago, while trying to find a place to watch a couple of episodes I had missed due to technical issue, I learned that this show has apparently been dubbed and available for a while. Fast forward to now in my current situation and I occasionally debate just going ahead and watching ahead instead of watching with Toonami.

You can watch the dub on-demand with Funimation Now.

13 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Anyway, finally seeing the Final Exams start up, I remembered something from my first impressions: Did anyone else notice how many of the heroes look more like villains?

That is a point made with the series :V Whether it'd be Shinso's Brainwashing Quirk, or Bakugo having some un-hero-like behaviour, and even Endeavour being a massive jerkass, that's just their way of being a Hero. Of course, it comes with it's drawbacks, like low popularity (in-universe) and such.

4 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

You can watch the dub on-demand with Funimation Now.

That is a point made with the series :V Whether it'd be Shinso's Brainwashing Quirk, or Bakugo having some un-hero-like behaviour, and even Endeavour being a massive jerkass, that's just their way of being a Hero. Of course, it comes with it's drawbacks, like low popularity (in-universe) and such.

Well, yeah, I've definitely seen them explore it a bit in terms of character traits, but I meant more in the context of most of the heroes designs. Like All Might, for example, who honestly looks like a sinister version of that one "fake(?)" superhero from PPG.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

15.png

...eggman?

Spoiler

More than that... It's the doctor that diagnosed Izuku as Quirkless from all the way back in ch.1.

There's a theory going around that he kidnaps kids to steal their Quirks, or even turn them into Nomus, such as one of Bakugo's childhood friends (with the wings) becoming the winged Nomu from the Hero Killer arc (as confirmed in vol.7). By Izuku being Quirkless, he may have avoided a terrible fate.

19 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:
  Hide contents

More than that... It's the doctor that diagnosed Izuku as Quirkless from all the way back in ch.1.

There's a theory going around that he kidnaps kids to steal their Quirks, or even turn them into Nomus, such as one of Bakugo's childhood friends (with the wings) becoming the winged Nomu from the Hero Killer arc (as confirmed in vol.7). By Izuku being Quirkless, he may have avoided a terrible fate.

Or it’s possible, If we’re going down this route, maybe that the hypothetical Deku Quirk was useless on its own, basically something that would have made Deku effectively quirkless regardless.  

BUT.  

Ujiko here took a closer look and realized that while the quirk was useless as it was, it actually turns out that it’s very useful if combined together with a different quirk that All For One happens to possess. This would give them a reason to steal it, but it also serves as a parallel to AFO’s brother; HE had a quirk that only became useful when fused with a quirk that AFO gave him, so it’s ironic and poetic that Deku would have his useless quirk taken from him by AFO to use to enhance himself and make it useful.  

And naturally Deku was otherwise left alone, because they don’t need someone who was effectively quirkless anyways. Which would be pretty ironic given how he ultimately becomes the 9th User of One for All.

46 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:
  Hide contents

Or it’s possible, If we’re going down this route, maybe that the hypothetical Deku Quirk was useless on its own, basically something that would have made Deku effectively quirkless regardless.  

BUT.  

Ujiko here took a closer look and realized that while the quirk was useless as it was, it actually turns out that it’s very useful if combined together with a different quirk that All For One happens to possess. This would give them a reason to steal it, but it also serves as a parallel to AFO’s brother; HE had a quirk that only became useful when fused with a quirk that AFO gave him, so it’s ironic and poetic that Deku would have his useless quirk taken from him by AFO to use to enhance himself and make it useful.  

And naturally Deku was otherwise left alone, because they don’t need someone who was effectively quirkless anyways. Which would be pretty ironic given how he ultimately becomes the 9th User of One for All.

Spoiler

Izuku has an extra joint in his body (when compared to Quirk users, as evolution removed a joint) that signifies he is Quirkless from birth. There would also be no reason to add an extra joint just to hide it, that's too much work, and surgery for a simple procedure is too suspicious.

Because he really did have no Quirk, and therefore is of no use to AfO, Izuku is very likely to have avoided a terrible fate.

8 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:
  Hide contents

Izuku has an extra joint in his body (when compared to Quirk users, as evolution removed a joint) that signifies he is Quirkless from birth. There would also be no reason to add an extra joint just to hide it, that's too much work, and surgery for a simple procedure is too suspicious.

Because he really did have no Quirk, and therefore is of no use to AfO, Izuku is very likely to have avoided a terrible fate.

Or a false x-ray. And again, this is hypothetical.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
Spoiler

I just now finally caught up with the anime, after starting it a few months back. Really excited to see what's coming up next, based off some of the manga stuff I've seen - the stuff with Overhaul especially is interesting me. 

The ominous portion about All for One and All Might's talk in prison worried me, I'm really hoping All for One doesn't end up actually killing All Might (or more accurately - having Shigaraki be the one to do it). All Might losing One for All and taking a bigger teaching role in Izuku's life is one of the best developments in the anime yet, and I really don't want it to end up tragically, especially since I could see it being the sparking move between Izuku fully going solo, and becoming the Number 1 Hero.  

Best episode out of the anime thus far was definitely Bakugo VS Izuku Part 2. Felt like the conclusion of 60 episodes worth of build-up, and developed things extremely nicely. Having Izuku finally put his foot down and having enough of Bakugo's shit was great, and I really liked his resolve to no longer be Bakugo's punching bag every time he has another rage-induced tantrum. Not only did it give Bakugo a lot more development beyond dickhead, but it allowed Izuku to stand up for himself at long last, and show that even if he'll still treat Bakugo with respect, he will surpass him.

I honestly wonder if this will lead to an improved All Might/Endeavour situation when the manga eventually ends. I always kind of imagined Todoroki - while being a hero - wouldn't push himself to be the total best like his father did, so I could see instead of that - Izuku/Bakugo in the position of Number 1 and Number 2 retrospectively, and perhaps by the time they're adult and pro heroes, the two have fallen into a better rivalry friendship, as opposed to Endeavour who devoted his life to ruining others in order to surpass All Might.

Last thing I'll say off the top of my hero - super surprised about the Provisional License arc, but in a very good way. I fully expected Izuku to end up getting screwed over at some point over the arc, especially since Toga was impersonating one of the students to get at him, and between the Sports Festival arc, and the Season 1 stuff, Izuku was always at the ground level of general improvement, but never the winner. Seeing him not only get to show off Shoot Style over Bakugo/Todoroki, but having an exam that seemed like it was actually based around his ideals was just great.

That moment where Bakugo failed and Izuku passed felt like such a relief, given that up til now, Bakugo had remained over Izuku in every way, despite the fact he rarely bothers with doing heroics, mainly just wanting to fight and win. I really hope that All Might's words in the Bakugo VS Deku fight part 2 remains true, and Bakugo is forced to learn a bit of humility, and to put others before him.

Beyond that, absolutely hyped for Season 4.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

Twice can worry no more about who he is, considering his backstory.

Being attacked and taken advantage of, he felt extreme physical pain by having his arms broken, of which should melt him to goop, but he doesn't.

He is the original Twice.

• 2 weeks later...

There's some good news for UK fans - Season 1 is getting a full re-release. Originally, it was released in the UK with a highly limited release with a weird Superman parody cover, and said release has become immensely rare. Because of that, the only real way of getting Season 1 was via digital storefronts. Season 2 and 3 are being released in parts still, but Season 1 remained highly limited.

But Manga UK thankfully seems to have gotten the rights to at least sell Season 1. It goes on sale from the 10th with the Blu-Ray only being £18, and the DVD being about £10 according to Amazon. Definitely a good time to pick it up if you were looking to do so.

If you missed it, the English version of Vol. 19 was released five days ago. If you're keeping up with the manga (and chances are, yes you are), then you can go and pick that up!

• 1 month later...

I like how this last episode ended up being a plug(Izuku's words) for Two Heroes--a movie that already came out a year or so before this episode actually aired here.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks awesome! So does this mean the English dub is gonna be airing around the same time as the Japanese release?

13 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:

Looks awesome! So does this mean the English dub is gonna be airing around the same time as the Japanese release?

It always does, the show is simuldubbed. IIRC - new english dub episodes come out a day after the Japanese.

The problem is that the only way to see them is via Funi's streaming service, and Funi's streaming service is infamous for being a croc of shit. Otherwise, you'll need to make do with the Japanese dub on Crunchyroll.