Jump to content
Soniman

My Hero Academia

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It always does, the show is simuldubbed. IIRC - new english dub episodes come out a day after the Japanese.

Ah, I thought it might be one of their simuldubbed shows, but I wasn't entirely sure. In which case, yeah it should be on there about a day or two after.

58 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The problem is that the only way to see them is via Funi's streaming service, and Funi's streaming service is infamous for being a croc of shit. Otherwise, you'll need to make do with the Japanese dub on Crunchyroll.

Hmm. It has been quite a while since I last used their streaming service (and even then, it was just the free trial, which I only really used to watch the entirety of MHA on there) but I recall the videos playing fine on my Xbox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outside of the dub, the series now celebrates 5 years of serialisation!

And in the current arc... woof, probably the darkest the series has gotten.

Spoiler

Those hands on Shigaraki were meant to suppress old memories, and keep him in a rage. But now that those hands are destroyed, he's remembering his past...

He killed his family. His dog, his sister, his mother, his grandparents... And his father. His abusive father that shot down young Tenko's chances at being a hero, because of Nana Shimura keeping away from her family to keep them safe. His Quirk awakened, and Tenko changed. Tomura Shigaraki, Tenko Shimura, was always powerful and destructive, but the hands of his family on him held his Quirk and his feelings back.

All it took was one bad day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to mention, but a month or so back, thanks to a manga sale I found in a comic shop on Holiday, I decided to finally read ahead of the anime via manga. I picked up Volumes 14-19, as well as Volumes 1 and 2 of Vigilantes. I haven't gotten around to reading through 14 onwards yet, but I've read through those two volumes of Vigilantes and wonder if they'll adapt it some day in the anime. It does tie into some backstory stuff of the actual series, so I'd be interested in seeing it adapted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Just finished the Overhaul arc. 

...that was probably the biggest mixed bag of an arc I've seen in MHA to date. The rest of them I've really enjoyed, but this one has some serious flaws. Really hope the anime does it better.

Its certainly the most...textbook Shonen arc the series has done if that makes sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Its certainly the most...textbook Shonen arc the series has done if that makes sense. 

I think my problem is the beginning is really strong, and I like the ending, but pretty much all of the middle is a slog. This is pretty much the first big "saga" arc of MHA, even more than the Forest Training and OFA fight, but a ton of it is just taking place within bland hallways.

The art IMO got really confusing too. It's the first time I've managed to really lose track of things in a MHA story. Between the constant shifting of the walls due to one of the quirks, the constant shifts to different groups, a lot of the art being sketchy in general, the backgrounds being near non-existant, etc, it just felt all over the place IMO. There's some real damn good art in it, but not all of it meshes well together.

Overhaul himself is kind of a lame villain too. His motivation shifts half-way through the arc. He spends half of it talking about believing Quirks are a disease that he must cure, and that could be interesting, as if Overhaul sees himself as some kind of twisted ends justify the means hero, but then midway through, he just randomly reveals he doesn't care, and actually just wants to control the black market via the quirk destruction drug.

Overhaul had potential to be like a villainous Deku. Someone who was either born quirkless, or chose not to use their quirk due to personal belief, and instead was just a really damn good fighter. Maybe later, he takes a quirk enhancer or something when he's desperate, but otherwise, he's just naturally skilled. But in the end, he turns into some monster for Deku to beat down and that's about it. The arc in of itself just feels really damn samey and considering it drags on for about four full volumes or so, that's not too great.

Was also really disappointed Deku took down a villain that literally threatened hero society, and was about to make massive moves in the underground, and yet the story doesn't really acknowledge it. There's a few mutters of Izuku being the one who beat Overhaul, and then Deku just returns back to UA, with everyone more or less treating him the same as always.

Shame too, there's a lot I liked too. Lemillion and his fight was great, as was Suneater's, Emi was a great addition to the cast, Deku using One for All at full power was sick, and there's a few other things here and there that's neat, but compared to what came before, it was a bit lame. Especially Deku just randomly changing the future through belief, despite the fact he literally has someone capable of rewinding him on his back.

IF you wanted to pull out a explanation for Deku's foreseen death, why didn't they literally have Deku die, and then have Emi rewind him back to life? Sure, it's not a great solution, but if we really needed to run with this stupid notion, that would at least have a decent reasoning with Emi's quirk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

He didn’t, in the Overhaul arc, Nighteye predicts he will die using his quirk.

I was going to say. I'm caught up in the manga and didn't recall it but I do like the newest twist the last two chapters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Question about the License arc: Who is controlling the other students in the intro? 

No one? The other students are all competiting schools trying to get their license. There's a general tradition that they try to gang up on UA because UA has their quirks advertised via the sports festival, and therefore believe they know all of UA's abilities. 

Unfortunately, the UA students took time to ensure they trained their quirks further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Trailer for the second My Hero movie - Heroes Rising. 

Shows footage of the Licensing Exam arc, so it looks like this movie is gonna slot into place right before Overhaul's arc.

The presence of Midoriya’s Air Force Gloves indicate that the movie will take place after the Cultural Festival. After that story arc is also a month-long gap where nothing happens, presumably where this movie slots in. And this movie is the leftovers of the originally planned final arc.

The villain of the movie, Nine, even appeared in the manga looong before the movie was announced, albeit as a cameo filled with foreshadowing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

The presence of Midoriya’s Air Force Gloves indicate that the movie will take place after the Cultural Festival. After that story arc is also a month-long gap where nothing happens, presumably where this movie slots in. And this movie is the leftovers of the originally planned final arc.

The villain of the movie, Nine, even appeared in the manga looong before the movie was announced, albeit as a cameo filled with foreshadowing.

It's almost as if they learned their lesson from Two Heroes or something :V.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It's almost as if they learned their lesson from Two Heroes or something :V.

I never really understood Two Heroes.

Yes, the story was written with the help of Horikoshi, and it’s canon, and Melissa Shield has appeared in the manga after the events of the movie... But it’s still incredibly awkward, almost like a fanfiction with some of what the movie does.

At least Heroes Rising is directly tied into the original story, with events, timing, and characters all making sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Polkadi~☆ said:

I never really understood Two Heroes.

Yes, the story was written with the help of Horikoshi, and it’s canon, and Melissa Shield has appeared in the manga after the events of the movie... But it’s still incredibly awkward, almost like a fanfiction with some of what the movie does.

At least Heroes Rising is directly tied into the original story, with events, timing, and characters all making sense.

The problem with Two Heroes is a lot of hiccups. The plot takes place at a point where it doesn't really gel well together (The villain of this movie being the first time Deku truly goes up against a proper villain, barring Stain, which then affects the Muscular fight later) as well as the fact no one brought it up again. 

There's weird stuff like the villain being so one note and terrible (i legitimately don't remember his name and just remember the whole thing was basically All for One trolling All Might), and the fact all of the UA students basically appear at the island for no real reason, which feels really contrived. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

No one? The other students are all competiting schools trying to get their license. There's a general tradition that they try to gang up on UA because UA has their quirks advertised via the sports festival, and therefore believe they know all of UA's abilities. 

Unfortunately, the UA students took time to ensure they trained their quirks further.

Okay, I guess I need to post this video for context.

 

What was that supposed to be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It’s what I said it is, the other students trying to knock UA out of the standings. Nothing to do with mind control.

Oookay, I get that much.

But my point of confusion still stands--you don't show a bunch of your major characters floating in the air with fucking gravity lines as a vaguely ominous techno beat starts off and then not have whatever that is come into focus at some point. 

Especially in a show where everyone is supposed to have a superpower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oookay, I get that much.

But my point of confusion still stands--you don't show a bunch of your major characters floating in the air with fucking gravity lines as a vaguely ominous techno beat starts off and then not have whatever that is come into focus at some point. 

Especially in a show where everyone is supposed to have a superpower.

Because it looks cool.

If there were anything like that, then it'd be a primary point of focus than just quick flashing images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

Because it looks cool.

If there were anything like that, then it'd be a primary point of focus than just quick flashing images.

Egh, Sonansu. 

Idk, I just remember seeing that the first time and wondered what the heck that was. Doesn't help that, even ignoring Bakugo and Todoroki being unaffected because, there's a quick shot of Shigaraki, Toga, and Twice smuggled in as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

New trailer for Heroes: Rising. Looks like it's gonna be taking place on a new island separated from U.A (this sounds familiar..).and feature a new villain with 9 quirks who can steal others' quirks. From the trailer, it looks like he wants to steal One for All from Deku.

They can't use All For One yet, so they get his second rate clone, All For Nine.

I'm joking btw; this is more wait and see atm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

New trailer for Heroes: Rising. Looks like it's gonna be taking place on a new island separated from U.A (this sounds familiar..).and feature a new villain with 9 quirks who can steal others' quirks. From the trailer, it looks like he wants to steal One for All from Deku.

I can already see that backfiring...unless the villain has quirks that could protect from OFA's power boosts...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.