Awoo.

Sonic Forces - Shadow DLC and new Screenshot

Woun

3 minutes ago, Diamond Dragon X said:

But you play as Shadow, so it will be different.

Buddy, I've got a bridge to sell you...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Tails and Knuckles in the classic games play similarly to Sonic but all three characters have different, unique abilities that drastically change how they can play and explore levels, and that's because S3/Mania aren't designed in a way where you're guided on a singular path with only the most minor or cosmetic deviations like how Sonic Unleashed and Generations usually play out (Unleashed moreso). Even if Sega transplanted other characters into modern Sonic levels, there is nothing about the level design and base gameplay that would make full use of their abilities. Sonic Advance 2 is a good example of how character abilities tend to be underutilized in favor of simply speeding through levels.

• Thumbs Up 5

Cancel this and give me Episode Chaos instead.

I hope they put the effort to give Shadow his correct running animation. It'd be disappointing if he ran just like Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 4

This has me excited, but wow this is also a big surprise and a little bit confusing. Can we just swap the Custom Character and Shadow and give Shadow a full episode and make the Custom Character DLC?

Either way, I'm happy that they're even considering making Shadow playable. Baby steps, perhaps.

Well this is certainly interesting. Good marketing, to be sure, as Shadow is still really popular, last I checked. I think it'll be fun to play as the, uh, orange blur? He has an orange streak...

2 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

You know what gets on my nerves? It's that they're bringing back stuff people have been asking for decades, but the execution is so bad that those things are going to be shat on and never to be seen again for 10 more years.

Well Shadow's going to be just the same as Sonic I guess, going with what they wrote. But... digital exclusive... really?

I have to ask, what is wrong with Shadow being like Sonic exactly? Every time Sonic and Shadow have been playable in the same game (except 06) they've always played and controlled exactly the same and nobody had a problem with it. Why is it a problem now?

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Detective Kaito said:

I have to ask, what is wrong with Shadow being like Sonic exactly? Every time Sonic and Shadow has been playable in the same game (except 06) they've always played and controlled exactly the same and nobody had a problem with it. Why is it a problem now?

I thought this was clear, there's nothing wrong with Shadow being a Sonic clone, the bad part about this is that it's locked behind a digital purchase.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I have to ask, what is wrong with Shadow being like Sonic exactly? Every time Sonic and Shadow have been playable in the same game (except 06) they've always played and controlled exactly the same and nobody had a problem with it. Why is it a problem now?

It's not a problem. It just shows how the boost gameplay can't easily accommodate for characters who don't play precisely like Sonic.

I'm also not saying that (I think) the boost gameplay is bad, it's just not as versatile as the classic formula. I think there's a very practical reason why only Sonic is playable in his own stages in Unleashed, Generations, and Forces, and not just because Sega is fearful of critical backlash.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Sonikko said:

I thought this was clear, there's nothing wrong with Shadow being a Sonic clone, the bad part about this is that it's locked behind a digital purchase.

Oh okay, but even so I still find it a relatively smart move on SEGA's part. Critics always complained about Sonic's friends being playable (which is why we haven't seen them playable in a 3D game since 06), and by making it DLC they can dodge that complaint, satisfy the fans, and make money off of it at the same time. It's a dirty way to do it, but it's a step in the right direction.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I have to ask, what is wrong with Shadow being like Sonic exactly? Every time Sonic and Shadow has been playable in the same game (except 06) they've always played and controlled exactly the same and nobody had a problem with it. Why is it a problem now?

People want different playable characters so that there are different ways to play the game. New abilities are fun. But skins are pointless. Playing as Tails in S2 doesn't offer anything different to playing as Sonic. But come S3 when he was given the ability to fly and Sonic for the elemental shield abilities, things got a lot more interesting.

So to answer your question - it's a problem because it's only half way there. Shadow usually plays the same as Sonic and it's likely to be the same here. Blame it on the boat formula being so inflexible. Still, I don't dislike the idea of this Shadow episode .

• Thumbs Up 9

23 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Cancel this and give me Episode Chaos instead.

I hope they put the effort to give Shadow his correct running animation. It'd be disappointing if he ran just like Sonic.

He glides when boosting don't worry 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

I don't mind Shadow playing like Sonic.

The DLC bit only really annoys me because we don't get DLC for Generations or Mania and it doesn't look like we get completely new stages for Episode Shadow either.

• Thumbs Up 1

It says on the description 3 updated stages for Shadow...not 3 new/exclusive stages, keep that in mind guys. It's most likely a Shadow version of Park Avenue etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

At least they gave us something. I'm hyped, Shadow is one of my favorites and this game's price is cheap so I don't mind some DLC. Now give me playable Tails and Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Playable Shadow DLC huh? ... Well it's a start... Hope they remembered to give his shoes fire blast effects when he skates & boosts this time unlike on Generations where they forgot that minor detail.

In the future if they still keep up these boost style games, they really should have Metal Sonic & Blaze playable again sometime too as they don't need to be altered much to fit the boost style gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Detective Kaito said:

Found this on Reddit. Looks like a juicy leak.

yeah thats one of them so far, we should be getting a video of all this stuff in a bit. 

I thought it'd be Shadow in a full-on 3D stage specifically designed for him

Not a Sonic-Colors-Yellow-Springs level spinoff

Oh nooooooooo

• Thumbs Up 3