Awoo.

Sonic Forces - Shadow DLC and new Screenshot

Woun

Just now, KHCast said:

But couldn't they just make them optional without the need to make them DLC? Like end game bonus stuff like we used to do in games once upon a time?

They could, but that doesn't do much for people who want to 100% the game but only like one gameplay. And while you could just not program any achievement or unlockables to certain characters, that comes off as basically saying that you think that the style you made and programmed isn't as worth your time as the one that does have achievements/unlockables/etc. And knowing Sonic Team, its bound to pick the worst gameplay style to tie all the acheivements/unlockables to at least once.

As someone who considers Shadow one of the worst things to happen to the Sonic franchise, I'm predictably not a fan of this decision.

I mean, granted, I was already planning to skip Forces, so Hedgelord's inclusion doesn't affect whether I'll buy it or not, and ultimately it's not like the news disappoints me.

Something I'm curious about, unless Shadow's light speed attack would be a total disaster in the design of the later levels, why is it that there are seemingly Modern Sonic levels he can't be used in?

Unless this is referring to tag team and boss stages, surely Sonic and Shadow are mostly interchangeable? I'd imagine even most of Sonic's animations could be skinned onto Shadow relatively simply.

Shadows always been a copy of sonic. Both in attacks in speed. At this point you know if your buying the game or not and now it's literal nitpicking.  I really hope this sells well even if not rated highly by the usual suspects

Wow what a year this has been for Sonic. Nine years and he's been the only playable character (I don't count Sonic 4 episode 2) then in 2017 alone we see the return of playable Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow? It's disappointing that he's essentially day one DLC, but regardless I'm just happy to see him back to playable character status. It' been too long as it is.

I imagine he's probably going to be a reskin of Sonic but here's hoping they give him something to set him apart. Nothing drastic of course.

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, pppp said:

To all the people wondering why we're disappointed, let me just ask this: Even though it's 6 years later and on more powerful hardware, why is it that the level design is a massive step down from Generations? Instead of just a generic Lost World style 2D stage why can't we have something like this? :

*video*

You know level design that is mostly 3D, has platforming that complements speed and flexible design that skilled players can experiment with and find paths that grants then faster times, like so:

*video*

If after watching these 2 videos you still think that the level design is not lazy and that Sonic Team despite clearly knowing how to do better than this, doesn't seem to care enough to do it, then I have no idea what else to tell you, you are settling for less instead of expecting equal or superior quality to what was done previously, and quite frankly you shouldn't.

Shouldn't this game take what Generations did best and expand and improve upon it? Is it really unreasonable to expect Sonic Team to improve upon their previous work rather than regress?

It's because the director for Sonic Forces is the same person that did Colors and Lost World; Mr. Morio Kishimoto.

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Morio_Kishimoto

You can see a lot of similarities between Forces, Colors, and Lost World, especially in terms of art style and level design. I honestly think SEGA should fire this guy, but I guess we're stuck with him.

• Thumbs Up 8

Did not see this coming. And not complaining either. As someone who tolerates Shadow amongst all the modern characters I'll get this.

Very curious to see what else we get along the way. Having Shadow as a free add on is such a cool idea.

7 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

It's because the director for Sonic Forces is the same person that did Colors and Lost World; Mr. Morio Kishimoto.

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Morio_Kishimoto

You can see a lot of similarities between Forces, Colors, and Lost World, especially in terms of art style and level design. I honestly think SEGA should fire this guy, but I guess we're stuck with him.

Way ahead you dude xD

1 hour ago, pppp said:

So I have a question: If you were gonna make Shadow playable anyway why can't he be the 3rd character? I'm pretty sure people would prefer that over a stupid OC character.

Also that level design is lazy as all hell, Morio Kishimoto should be fired and replaced by Hiroshi Miyamoto so that Sonic levels can have platforming that isn't generic blocky platforming.

It doesn't negate my point though, Uncharted 4 had a different director and that didn't cause the series to go back to Uncharted 1 territory.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Meanwhile, I hope it doesn't.

And that's not out of spite or vindictiveness. I hope the numbers aren't good so that Sega is forced to reevaluate their approach. If Forces sells well, it stands to reason that we'll get more games that play like Forces - which, based on the trailer footage we've seen, isn't the direction I want the series to go.

So yeah, to me, the game failing could potentially spell better things for the franchise in the long run. Could be the shock Sega needs to switch up their design philosophy.

Do you think this will really happen? If you go on YouTube the majority of people seem to be in favour of how things are turning out for this game. This game will probably sell okay no matter how much some of us detest it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, pppp said:

It doesn't negate my point though, Uncharted 4 had a different director and that didn't cause the series to go back to Uncharted 1 territory.

Why compare Sonic to Uncharted?

Morio Kishimoto has shown time and time again that he has no idea how to design a Sonic stage. It's like he doesn't understand what made the classics' level design so good, so he instead goes with blocky platforming and automated sections, and for 3D just long hallways with nothing to do except constant homing attack chains and jumping on blocks or crates. And I don't want to get screenshots to compare the level design of Forces to Colors/Lost World cause I'm too lazy to do it. lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Detective Kaito said:

Why compare Sonic to Uncharted?

You missed the point, I was trying to show that a change in director shouldn't suddenly make all of the staff become incompetent.

Just now, ShroomZed said:

Do you think this will really happen? If you go on YouTube the majority of people seem to be in favour of how things are turning out for this game. This game will probably sell okay no matter how much some of us detest it.

What's left of the Sonic fanbase is both incredibly forgiving, and incredibly defensive of this franchise.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the game sold at least okay despite all of its design problems. Sega has a loyal base of customers who will buy each new installment (and considers bad reviews to be "biased"), quality be damned. 

• Thumbs Up 8

The level design did look rather basic still, but I do appreciate that there was some usage of momentum with the boost gameplay to reach higher ground. Too bad that stage was entirely set in 2D.

18 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Shadows always been a copy of sonic. Both in attacks in speed. At this point you know if your buying the game or not and now it's literal nitpicking.  I really hope this sells well even if not rated highly by the usual suspects

Except in Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow actually had unique levels that were a good length compared to Forces where Shadow has very few unique levels and is mostly playable in Modern Sonic's stages which is pointless because he plays exactly the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, pppp said:

You missed the point, I was trying to show that a change in director shouldn't suddenly make all of the staff become incompetent.

I'm not saying that the story, graphics, or actual gameplay of Forces is crap. I'm just talking about the level design, which Kishimoto is responsible for, for some reason.

• Thumbs Up 4

21 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Meanwhile, I hope it doesn't.

And that's not out of spite or vindictiveness. I hope the numbers aren't good so that Sega is forced to reevaluate their approach. If Forces sells well, it stands to reason that we'll get more games that play like Forces - which, based on the trailer footage we've seen, isn't the direction I want the series to go.

So yeah, to me, the game failing could potentially spell better things for the franchise in the long run. Could be the shock Sega needs to switch up their design philosophy.

Or maybe people like the direction of the series and want to show it to SEGA?

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean others don't as well.

• Promotion 2

2 minutes ago, Diamond Dragon X said:

Exactly! Not everyone has to think the same way about a video game series of any kind. It is okay if they think differently, and that doesn't mean they are incredibly forgiving as a person might say they are. They just happen to like it. I personally think the level design for the level is fine. Maybe not the best, but still. Those are my thoughts. Just because one does not see it the same way as anyone else doesn't mean it is bad, nor does it mean they should be dismissed. Not trying to call a person out for this, I am just saying.

3 minutes ago, Diamond Dragon X said:

I'm well aware that some people are fine with it. I never said anything in my post to the contrary.

6 minutes ago, Diamond Dragon X said:

You are aware he's speaking personally right? Why do you need to bring up that some people like the direction, when he's expressing his own view that he hopes it doesn't sell well and results in sega re-evaluating because he doesn't like the direction?

• Thumbs Up 1