Awoo.

Iizuka: There will not be a Sonic Adventure 3 & what future Sonic titles will be like

Badnik Mechanic

Polygon has interviewed Iizuka and brought up the SA3 question... and before mods decide to lock the topic... he actually gave some VERY different reasons as to why SA3 is not happening this time which also gives a slight insight into what Sonic Team is doing as a unit.

“I hear people saying that they want Adventure 3, but the path that we’re on and ... Adventure 3, what fans want that to be, might not be an advancement of the series, [...] So I don’t want to do an Adventure 3 and step the franchise back just to give the fans what they want.”

Basically, Sonic Team does not see a return to the adventure series as being an advancement of the series but a step backward, he then goes onto explain future development plans and strategies.

“From the developer standpoint, every Sonic game that we’re making is taking new steps and advances, furthering the game in a new direction, and that’s dictated where the Sonic series has been going,”

So every new Sonic game from now on is going to have some kind of gimmick or something new, the co-op buddy thing looks like it's the first major step in that direction 

He then returns back to the SA3 issue and states that if SA3 were to come out, it would be in name only and would not be what people expect it to be.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/19/16333174/sonic-adventure-3-will-never-happen

• Nice Smile 1

Because it's not like the SA1 Sonic stages, while rough on the edges, have immense untapped potential and are the best bet we have for 3D gameplay that pleases most.

Then again, this is the same moron that thought Sonic Mania wouldn't find success so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Just now, pppp said:

Then again, this is the same moron that thought Sonic Mania wouldn't find success so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Can I see the quote for that?

While I trust Iizuka about as far as I can throw him, in general I agree with him on this. I don't think there's anything particularly special about the Adventure formula, and at this point SA3 has largely become defined around the pursuit of SA3 rather than what the game itself would actually be. And while I disagree with the direction the series has been going, and I think it's a bit hypocritical for him to say it when they've been packing in so much nostalgia bait, I do think that 3D Sonic has got to move forward and not constantly look backwards.

Just now, pppp said:

Because it's not like the SA1 Sonic stages, while rough on the edges, have immense untapped potential and are the best bet we have for 3D gameplay that pleases most.

Yeah, no, I really don't think there's anything special about SA's stages. If it seems like the best bet for satisfying 3D gameplay, that speaks more to the failure of the other 3D Sonics than of any particular strength of SA's gameplay. The series needs to aspire to something better than that.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

So what is Mania then?

2Dvzgq0.gif

That doesn't mean literally making the games play themselves.

Sounds like he's talking out of his ass tbh since he's a mouthpiece for sega and has to pretty much always make excuses. Not that I want sa3 mind you. But gameplay wise, I don't think it couldn't be upgraded and updated 

plus, wasn't he teasing for the longest time that it could happen?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Sigh....

Iizuka... Is a really nice guy. He gave us Colors, Generations and Mania after the Dark Age but...

He is lack of self-awareness in person. People don't want just Adventure 3 for the fishing. They want Adventure 3 because those games had focus on characters, story and had a solid gameplay for Sonic. Not just that, you want to keep doing new things instead of doing that works and can be improved on? Even after Mania? Which was improving over an old formula?

I'm sorry, but after Forces he has to stop being the director for Sonic games. While he is in charge, the games will keep being "a mess" like people like to say. Hire someone that keeps close contact with the fanbase, and can strike a good balance.

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Takashi_Iizuka

According to this, Iizuka isn't a director, but a Supervisor. Though I do agree, Takashi Iizuka and Morio Kishimoto should NOT be working on Sonic anymore.

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

They want Adventure 3 because those games had focus on characters, story and had a solid gameplay for Sonic.

Characters yes absolutely. 

Story? While I absolutely love Chaos, Sonic Adventure 1's plot was disjointed with the multiple characters, Big and Gamma serving no real interest to the plot and Amy barely qualifying. And Sonic Adventure 2's story was awful. How the fuck is "a black hedgehog with red stripes is confused with our beloved hero Sonic" a good plot point? I can suspend my disbelief for a videogame, but come the fuck on. 

Gameplay, while I like how Sonic handles in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, the rest of those games were not very fun. If I like a third of a game, what's the point of wanting a sequel with just that third? It's not a true sequel if it's only a third of the game. 

While I would like the Adventure SONIC gameplay to get another shot at someday, I'm glad Adventure 3 proper is never happening. The Adventure games, while a third of those games is fun, it's not something I would like revisited. 

fucking tails in a mech grumble grumble

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Yeah, no, I really don't think there's anything special about SA's stages. If it seems like the best bet for satisfying 3D gameplay, that speaks more to the failure of the other 3D Sonics than of any particular strength of SA's gameplay. The series needs to aspire to something better than that.

To be fair, SA1's gameplay is probably the closest thing we've got to "Classic Sonic in 3D." Yes, it's very flawed, but like you said, every Sonic game after it has failed to provide gameplay that's better than it, which is why Sonic Team should go back to this gameplay style, make it control better, make the level design better, etc. since the technology today allows for it. Level design in SA1, while it doesn't come close to the classics, still has the basic idea of mixing speed, platforming, and exploration. Sonic Generations Modern Stages (namely Seaside Hill) is the kind of level design 3D Sonic should have if Sonic Team wants to stick with the boost formula.

The only logical next step would be to make something like Sonic Utopia where it's literally Classic Sonic in 3D, physics-based, open levels, etc.

• Thumbs Up 9

12 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

While I trust Iizuka about as far as I can throw him, in general I agree with him on this. I don't think there's anything particularly special about the Adventure formula, and at this point SA3 has largely become defined around the pursuit of SA3 rather than what the game itself would actually be. And while I disagree with the direction the series has been going, and I think it's a bit hypocritical for him to say it when they've been packing in so much nostalgia bait, I do think that 3D Sonic has got to move forward and not constantly look backwards.

Sigh

They can't just base themselves on the controls of Adventure and polish the level design and physics?

• Thumbs Up 8

I mean Mario and Zelda for the longest time didn't at the  fundamental level, change up the formula big time with every new 3D game. Hell, Odyssey is going back to 64 style gameplay and making updates and upgrades to it. Sonic doesn't have that luxury of being able to stick with a working formula, or go back to one, that has potential to be tweaked and upgraded for years before it gets stale? He always needs to bring some innovating new concept?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

To be fair, SA1's gameplay is probably the closest thing we've got to "Classic Sonic in 3D."

I mean, yeah, I totally agree that it's their closest attempt (because they basically stopped trying at all immediately afterward). But just being the best they've tried doesn't mean it's good enough to be worth using as a base. SA Sonic is a severely flawed game, and I don't see the value in starting there and trying to fix all its problems compared to reexamining the series' core mechanics and strengths and building a new interpretation of 3D Sonic from scratch. There is so little I can point to in SA and say "yes, this is good, learn from this" compared to how many places the game falls short.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Hard-Boiled Wisp said:

How the fuck is "a black hedgehog with red stripes is confused with our beloved hero Sonic" a good plot point? I can suspend my disbelief for a videogame, but come the fuck on. 

There's a zero percent chance of this being the actual reason but I just thought that if the gun robots all only had thermal cameras the differences between Sonic and Shadow wouldn't have been obvious.  Of course, thermal cameras are a terrible way to identify someone. 

35 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Sigh....

Iizuka... Is a really nice guy. He gave us Colors, Generations and Mania after the Dark Age but...

He was also instrumental in Lost World, the director on Shadow the Hedgehog...

26 minutes ago, Hard-Boiled Wisp said:

Characters yes absolutely. 

Story? While I absolutely love Chaos, Sonic Adventure 1's plot was disjointed with the multiple characters, Big and Gamma serving no real interest to the plot and Amy barely qualifying. And Sonic Adventure 2's story was awful. How the fuck is "a black hedgehog with red stripes is confused with our beloved hero Sonic" a good plot point? I can suspend my disbelief for a videogame, but come the fuck on. 

Can't Sonic dye his hair? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Chuckle 3

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I don't see the value in starting there and trying to fix all its problems compared to reexamining the series' core mechanics and strengths and building a new interpretation of 3D Sonic from scratch.

They did that. With the Boost. Plays nothing like the Adventure formula other than A = Jump, Homing attack and can jump on enemies. Sonic Utopia is closer to the Adventure formula than Unleashed/Colors/Gens/Forces. Like it or not, that's where we are now. That's the hill Iizuka is killing this franchise on. I can't see Sonic Team going back to a formula that worked (despite it's "severe flaws") unless Iizuka & Co. get the shaft as a result of some massive fan migration & dip in sales.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Marcello said:

Can't Sonic dye his hair? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's always been a really simple solution that no one's ever brought up in regards to some of the "plotholes" in SA2. It's always "HURR DURR PLOTHOLES EDGY SAWNIK IS BAD BECUASE I CAN'T THINK FOR MYSELF AND AM REPEATING WHAT POPULAR OPINION SAYS WITH NO BRAIN CELLS".

For the record I'm not saying there aren't issues with the story, just that it's mind boggling how people just don't like to pay attention or think of obvious solutions to the supposed problem.

• Thumbs Up 1