Awoo.

Iizuka: There will not be a Sonic Adventure 3 & what future Sonic titles will be like

Badnik Mechanic

25 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

So? He could have said it yesterday, he could have said it five years ago, it doesn't change the fact that he said it. Nor does it change that fact that, since then, Classic Sonic has been shoving his face into everything from Sonic Dash to Forces. I mean, he just got a whole new game dedicated to him for Christ's sake.

Besides, Classic's return is just one example. Iizuka has said plenty of shit that's been contradicted by future (or even past) actions. Why believe him now?

Like how they say "we need to find a solid Sonic gameplay to add the other characters back", and then they did a complete switcheroo to leave them out and didn't resolve the problem until recently, via DLC no less.

• Thumbs Up 4

29 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Like how they say "we need to find a solid Sonic gameplay to add the other characters back", and then they did a complete switcheroo to leave them out and didn't resolve the problem until recently, via DLC no less.

so the answer is

if you keep yelling at them, eventually when they are out of ideas, or acknowledging they are out of ideas

they will then do thing

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

If we put aside what boils down to glorified skins.

Why are you so angry at the fact that they changed their mind?

lol seriously, what does it matter? 

I didn't say I was angry. I said that Iizuka has a long history of making statements like this that end up being contradicted. Which he does. No reason to despair/bask in the ultimate destruction of Adventure fan's hopes and dreams just yet.

3 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Forces tries to appeal to Adventure fans with the storyline. 

That's nice.

That also has nothing to do with controls and gameplay, which is what the post you quoted was about.

I love how Iizuka is doubling down against attempting SA3 unless the franchise "evolves" in that direction. Right, because, yknow, this franchise is a shining example of consistent and continuous implementation and refinement on previous ideas and definitely doesn't have problems with taking massive leaps in the dark. This is a ridiculous excuse.

Looking at Forces, I would consider better-paced, semi-unrestricted movement and physics in a GENUINE 3 dimensional environment to be an evolution (ie, the Adventure series). 

I mean, I'm unashamedly an Adventure 3 wisher. I manage to like Sonic 06 in spite of its problems because of this, and will always argue that its problems are not because of the Adventure formula but because of terrible execution of that formula. 

Well, we thought we'd never have a Sonic Mania, but the love of the fans made it happen. Now let's hope for Sonic Adventure to have the same "justice".

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure this has been said already, but Iizuka...I like ya but you and I know what you said there is BS. So full of it. It's saddens me.

And also, I don't want an Adventure 3! I think he got the wrong idea on what I and others want. We want a Sonic Adventure '1' style game! Refined! Call the game whatever you like! That's what you did with Generations 2 and Forces! 

4 hours ago, Stephenb19 said:

I mean, I'm unashamedly an Adventure 3 wisher. I manage to like Sonic 06 in spite of its problems because of this, and will always argue that its problems are not because of the Adventure formula but because of terrible execution of that formula. 

People said Sonic '06 was the worst Sonic game...but to me it isn't. The reason why to me it isn't the worst Sonic game is because it had Adventure-style gameplay, even though it was poorly executed.

My personal, main reason why I loathe Sonic '06 with all its guts isn't because the game is broken. Or has one of the worst laughable stories I've seen. Or Silver. Or loading screens. It's because it's the game that probably frightened Sonic Team not to try the Adventure formula (and have multiple characters playable) again.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I have a question, if Koizumi was perfectly willing to return Mario to the fan requested Mario 64 open sandbox formula even going to the point of making a chart explaining it:

8622a3a92fa851b7ca091b498a5b7a3ec92bfeea

And yet despite technically "taking a step back" the game still is overflowing with creativity and advancements.

Then what the hell is this "I don't care about what the fans want" attitude from Iizuka? The Adventure formula is still perfectly capable of being creative.

This guy is on such a phenomenal level of stupidity it's astounding.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 3

5 hours ago, TargetWatch said:

And this is why Sonic will unfortunately perish the same way as Mega Man did. 

Mega Man perished for entirely different reasons being that:

1. Megaman has a lot of alternate versions (with their own games) of the character which brought division among the fans unlike where as for Sonic it's pretty much just classic vs modern (boom is nonexistent). 

2. They stuck with the 2D Megaman games instead of trying to move forward.

3. They canceled four Megaman games 2010-2012 and just didn't make any more and some of the games were released in Japan only.

4. Ultimately Capcom stopped caring about the icon of their company, especially when making the claim that fans didn't buy recent Megaman games enough.

My personal favorite Megaman series was the Zero games but then ZX Advent ended up on a awful cliff hanger and I even enjoyed the Network and Starforce games but I know that some Network fans didn't like the shift to Starforce because of the different layout.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, SonicLegends said:

Mega Man perished for entirely different reasons being that:

1. Megaman has a lot of alternate versions (with their own games) of the character which brought division among the fans unlike where as for Sonic it's pretty much just classic vs modern (boom is nonexistent). 

2. They stuck with the 2D Megaman games instead of trying to move forward. (Sounds awfully similar to how Sonic Team is forcing superficial 2D segments in every Modern Sonic game. Instead of focusing on improving either the 2D or 3D perspective.) 

3. They canceled four Megaman games 2010-2012 and just didn't make any more and some of the games were released in Japan only.

4. Ultimately Capcom stopped caring about the icon of their company, especially when making the claim that fans didn't buy recent Megaman games enough. (I fail to see how SEGA is caring about Sonic neither? To me it seems as if SEGA only cares about Sonic on a superficial level these days.)

My personal favorite Megaman series was the Zero games but then ZX Advent ended up on a awful cliff hanger and I even enjoyed the Network and Starforce games but I know that some Network fans didn't like the shift to Starforce because of the different layout.

I was mainly homing in on the over reliance of nostalgia and constant failure to evolve or improve. 

• Thumbs Up 1

From the developer standpoint, every Sonic game that we’re making is taking new steps and advances, furthering the game in a new direction

Right, right, that's why we're back to boost instead of refining the Lost World gameplay style, I gotcha.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 2

I wonder just how much the language barrier is making it more difficult for Iizuka to properly explain his and Sonic Team's opinions on what they want for this franchise. He is literally contradicting himself by saying they don't want Sonic to return to Adventure gameplay because that would be a step backwards, when they returned to the same template for games they've used since Unleashed, alongside the return of Classic Sonic. Then there's his decision to greenlight Mania at all when that's as far a step back as you can go with Sonic which is weird because you'd think a step backwards would be a bad thing, but not in this particular case.

Iizuka seems to think that we only want a retread of old ideas which isn't correct in the slightest if our opinions on Mania's returning levels are anything to go by. I can't speak for everybody but from what I can gather we want Sonic and any other characters that are playable to control like Sonic and Shadow did in Adventure 1 and 2 (without mapping every action to one button) and then design new levels and gimmicks around that singular focus, with no extraneous gameplay choices created only to pad out the game. If Iizuka thinks that nothing new can be done with Adventure gameplay when Mania just proved that the key to keeping old gameplay fresh is to design new levels with gimmicks that take advantage of the core gameplay, then perhaps we should follow that old mantra of speaking with our wallets and not purchase new 3-D Sonic games until he and Sega realize we're telling them exactly how to get our money.

Despite all this I'm still hoping that Forces ends up good. Even if I say speak with our wallets I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going to buy it at some point, but it'll probably be when it gets a price drop during a Steam sale.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Maxtiis said:

Iizuka seems to think that we only want a retread of old ideas

If that was the case, he'd be willing to go back to the Adventure style.

@TargetWatch True, but even then they still do offer some 3D involved whereas Capcom does not in the slightest and Sega does care I would say just in that while yes they milk Sonic but it shows they know their IP does good in sales which Mario for Nintendo is the same case (a lot of people were getting sick of "Oh great another Mario game!" thumbs up if you got the reference and just in how they kept on doing the New Super Mario Bros games) and then there's also how Sega does care about the metacritic scores because if I remember correctly they said they want to better the Sonic brand (going to search for where it was mentioned).

Just now, Dizcrybe said:

If that was the case, he'd be willing to go back to the Adventure style.

You'd think that would be the logical conclusion but no, evidently we want Green Hill again.

We might not have noticed it. But Iizuka did.

Sounds to me like not only do they not want to do a Sonic Adventure 3, but they've made up their minds and decided they're not gonna do a Sonic Adventure 3. Honestly best to move on I'd say, for better or for worse. 

Turn down some of this vitriol while we're at it too, good lord

I love his comment about making new steps and advances and going in a new direction with each Sonic game made which is just, HAAAAA! yeah, sure. Because Forces really looks like it improves on boost2win, blocky platforming and Classic Sonic with shitty physics doesn't it?!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

27 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I hate to be that guy (Oh, who am I kidding I love being that guy) but you already got SA3. It was Sonic 06. Deal with it.

You mean the game that was rushed, made in less than a year and released blatantly unfinished due to having it's development team needlessly split to work on a game for the Nintendo Wii whilst as the same time making a game on next gen technology they were completely unfamiliar with in addition to SEGA needlessly reducing the dead line? When will morons like yourself stop repeating the age old lie that it was the Adventure formula that made Sonic 06 fail and actually look into the real reasons to why the game inevitably became the way it did? 

On a side note...

Now people know why I dislike Iizuka, so freaking much these days... He's a hack with no sense of direction. At least when it comes to Sonic. 

I mean I wouldn't want him to suffer or be without a job or anything, but for god sake SEGA if you don't demote him this franchise will fail in the long run thanks to his colossally stupid ideas. 

• Thumbs Up 3

44 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I hate to be that guy (Oh, who am I kidding I love being that guy) but you already got SA3. It was Sonic 06. Deal with it.

No, that's Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 4

I never wanted there to be an Adventure 3. It could never live up to its own hype, and everyone has their own expectation on what it should be, so even if it did come out and wasn't a terrible game, nobody would be happy with it.

That said, holy hell does this interview just reek of hypocrisy and general incompetence. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Am I the only one who finds it amusing that Iizuka is refusing fan demands to go back to a direction of Sonic that Iizuka himself was largely responsible for spearheading?

I mean, granted, his mindset on what paradigm he'd want for Sonic to back in 1997/1998 isn't the same paradigm he's want for Sonic twenty years later, but I can't help but note the heaping amount of irony on display here.

• Thumbs Up 2