Awoo.

Iizuka: There will not be a Sonic Adventure 3 & what future Sonic titles will be like

Badnik Mechanic

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I hate to be that guy (Oh, who am I kidding I love being that guy) but you already got SA3. It was Sonic 06. Deal with it.

Well in that case Classic fans should deal with Sonic 4. 

1 hour ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

I never wanted there to be an Adventure 3. It could never live up to its own hype, and everyone has their own expectation on what it should be, so even if it did come out and wasn't a terrible game, nobody would be happy with it.

That said, holy hell does this interview just reek of hypocrisy and general incompetence. 

Well I never wanted Sonic Mania but I'm not gonna crap on people who do want those types of games. 

Why do you think no would be happy with it? Most Adventure fans generally want real 3D gameplay and more characters playable. What's so hard to understand?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Honestly, this news isn't even a surprise to me. My hopes of ever getting something stylized in the Adventure formula again were always pretty low, but this confirmation is, at the very least, comforting in the sense that I should officially stop hoping. I'm not even sad or upset about this, I just feel really empty. It's a shame that the way I was introduced to this franchise is officially dead in the water and I would've had to have been born earlier than I was to appreciate the Sonic Mania revival. Mania's an excellent game by all accounts, to the point where I'd say it's only just below CD in terms of ranking my favorite Sonic games, but there's a difference between saying, "This is a really nice gift!" and, "This is what I've always wanted!" I wish I could consider myself a part of that latter category. I can't help but feel slightly bitter towards those classic fans who, after years of waiting, have finally had their payoff.

The problem is considering how they got there. Whitehead spent years developing in the fangame community, perfecting his Retro Engine and taking criticism before his work turned around with CD's iOS port. Adventure fans are nowhere near that modicum of success. Whereas stuff like Sonic Souls and, hell, even Generations mods have provided a fertile breeding ground for boost gameplay development, Adventure's only claim in the fangaming community is Sonic World, which appears to be more focused on shoving in more characters than getting a true-to-form Adventure gameplay style up and running. It's honestly really upsetting that in this day and age, the closest thing a Sonic Adventure fan has to look forward to is Super Mario Odyssey. At this point, my only hopes of seeing anything Adventure-inspired again is to literally make it myself.

• Thumbs Up 4

So apparently he also said something to the effect of, " If there is a Sonic Adventure 3, it won't be what fans expect." Well ok neither was SA2. 

31 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

So apparently he also said something to the effect of, " If there is a Sonic Adventure 3, it won't be what fans expect." Well ok neither was SA2. 

Ohh was it ever:

95632_front.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Could we please stop this meme of stating, "Oh, Sonic Heroes/06/Shadow/Unleashed was totally Sonic Adventure 3!" By that same logic, nobody who wanted Mania should've wanted it, because hey, you got Sonic Advance 1-3, Sonic Rush, Rush Adventure, and Sonic 4! Those are totally your classic era revival, stop asking for it!

Do you see how stupid and annoying that argument/joke is? We already know Sonic Unleashed's Japanese name is Sonic World Adventure and that its codename was at some point Sonic Adventure 3. We know Sonic 06 was built off the Adventure formula and was laughably terrible. We know Shadow continued Shadow's story from SA2 (which would make it, if anything, SA2-II, not SA3) and terribly butchered it.  Stop bringing it up.  It doesn't add anything to the conversation, and it only serves to annoy anybody who's actually a fan of the Adventure games. I know that we don't deserve respect for daring to enjoy such an """"""awful, broken game"""""" but maybe, at the very least, realize that this joke has been played out already? If you really want to continue making fun of us, at least come up with something original.

• Thumbs Up 7

4 minutes ago, Writer's Blah said:

We already know Sonic Unleashed's Japanese name is Sonic World Adventure and that its codename was at some point Sonic Adventure 3.

And you just proved my point.

11 minutes ago, Writer's Blah said:

Could we please stop this meme of stating, "Oh, Sonic Heroes/06/Shadow/Unleashed was totally Sonic Adventure 3!"

Lol... Urm... Oh boy. Not sure how you're going to take this one but...

It's not a meme...

With the exception of Sonic 06.

Every one of those games has been confirmed to have the title or codename Sonic Adventure 3.

Heroes was confirmed by Iizuka to 1up.com before they bit the dust.

Unleashed Japanese title and it's in several history of Sonic books that it had the SA3 title.

Even Shadows game was announced as being SA3 for a few days.

Mate... that's your SA3. Take your pick from that list. 

Now I'm off to play Sonic the Hedgehog Portable...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

6 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

It's not a meme...

Every one of those games has been confirmed to have the title or codename Sonic Adventure 3.

Unleashed Japanese title and it's in several history of Sonic books that it had the SA3 title.

Well we'll just have an Adventure style game and not call it SA3. Problem solved. Not even 06's lightning should be able to strike twice right?

Just now, DonWaffleleven said:

Well we'll just have an Adventure style game and not call it SA3. Problem solved. 

We did, it was called Sonic 06. Did you enjoy it?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Mayor D said:

We did, it was called Sonic 06. Did you enjoy it?

If you recall the post I posted no less than 5 minutes ago...

2 minutes ago, DonWaffleleven said:

Not even 06's lightning should be able to strike twice right?

Nice edit job at any rate.

12 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

It's not a meme...

Code names during development don't mean anything because what matters is what came out, and what came out were no games named sa3 and no games that played like sa3

I could tell you that I don't know izuka said that Knuckles or Shadow were original girls during the development, that does not make them currently girls, or blaze the cat. It just means that during development they wanted to do something, and then decided to not do something.  

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

It's not a meme...

What point are you proving? Sonic Lost World could've at some point been codenamed SA3. I know it wasn't, but just for the simple fact that it could've been, does that make your argument hold more water? The fact that those games you listed off were, for whatever brief period of time, codenamed SA3, legitimize them as versions of SA3 to you? Nice of you to completely ignore the other part of my post where I stated,

12 minutes ago, Writer's Blah said:

By that same logic, nobody who wanted Mania should've wanted it, because hey, you got Sonic Advance 1-3, Sonic Rush, Rush Adventure, and Sonic 4! Those are totally your classic era revival, stop asking for it!

You know exactly what we want, and no, it's not explicitly a game called SA3. And before you mention, "look at how many games tried to be SA3 and completely failed, why should they keep trying?" realize that Sonic's track record as a whole during that time period was underwater. Secret Rings and Black Knight were also received poorly, and they're clearly not based off of the Sonic Adventure formula. I could say the same for Sonic R, 3D Blast, Rivals 1 & 2, Rise of Lyric, and Lost World. 

I heavily suspect that the intention of bringing up this piece of trivia over and over again isn't to inform or enlighten us, it's exclusively to piss us off. I get it, we're a blight to the Sonic community. Thanks for the reminder.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I hate to be that guy (Oh, who am I kidding I love being that guy) but you already got SA3. It was Sonic 06. Deal with it.

17 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

It's not a meme...

Fine then. '06 was Adventure 3. Gimme Sonic Adventure 4.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Code names during development don't mean anything because what matters is what came out, and what came out were no games named sa3 and no games that played like sa3

Lol ok right. So a game is named one thing during initial development...

It's built under that name... then close to release, changes it's name.

... ... it's now not definitely not SA3 or an adventure esq game because it's not called that and doesn't play like SA3.. whatever the hell playing like SA3 even means.

Say Sonic Heroes kept the title of Sonic Adventure 3...

You would now have to sit there and seriously argue that it's not SA3 because it doesn't play like the adventure games...

Even though it's named that.

2 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

Fine then. '06 was Adventure 3. Gimme Sonic Adventure 4.

Its called Sonic Forces. 

It looks terrible.

Oh wait. That's Generations 2. 

It looks terrible.

Just now, Mayor D said:

... ... it's now not definitely not SA3 or an adventure esq game because it's not called that and doesn't play like SA3.. whatever the hell playing like SA3 even means.

You would now have to sit there and seriously argue that it's not SA3 because it doesn't play like the adventure games...

If they just said "We want another Sonic Adventure game" would it make you feel better?

1 minute ago, Josh said:

If they just said "We want another Sonic Adventure game" would it make you feel better?

Just admit it's an all in the name thing since it always is.

Just now, Mayor D said:

But it's clearly not. Read their posts.  

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Except that's exactly what classic fans did when this came out.

250px-S4,EP1_boxart.png

This game is totally reminiscent of the classics and serves as a proper sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. You don't need Sonic Mania.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, Classic fans have spent the last seven years denying that Sonic 4 is Sonic 4. What's the problem?

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

That's a fairly common argument? Especially in video games where companies reboot franchises to appeal to other audiences and change what that franchise is. Fans arguing that despite the title that that isn't what they were asking for. People do this with situations like DmC Devil May Cry, and while average at best and subpar compared the previous entries it is still technically speaking the same genre of game. And people make that argument. So of course people would make that argument if it didn't even play the same. 

Hell people make this argument and statement now. People call Sonic mania the true sonic 4, so yes people do the thing you are suggesting all the time and its super fairly common and a result of game companies not delivering what people actually wanted, but delivering something different under the same moniker. And that doesn't even matter because it seems as though sega and sonic team knew none of those things were going to be sonic adventure 3 material and changed things. So what even is your point, to question obvious human behavior?

• Thumbs Up 1

• The topic was locked