Awoo.

Artwork: DanJ86 Art & Danganronpa IF Comic in progress

Danj86

You are quite the amazing artist, my friend! And what you did for Sayaka was so adorable and sweet! Thank you so much, man!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm always humbled and inspired when I receive positive encouragement regarding my art. Thanks guys. :)

I brought some more old pictures for anyone who hasn't seen them before. I'm not really sure if all my old art is still accessible, so here is some more I retrieved.

Team K' - My personal favourite team from the King of Fighters franchise.

Wi-Fi Battle - Made around the release of Smash Brothers Brawl, the expressions tell you who won and lost the resulting battle.

Original Disgaea Trio - My attempt to emulate the artist and character designer, Takehito Harada.

Boom Sonic - An attempt at a unique line style and colouring with Boom Sonic.

Soft Shading Test (Kirby) - An early attempt of soft shading, it was later used to a greater effect in Sunset Run & Volcanic Ambush.

Yotsuba&! Cast - A Compilation of the starting cast from the slice of life comedy manga, created by Kiyohiko Azuma.

All That I Have - 1/3 pictures with a set theme. The theme was simply "All That I Have." With it sounding like song lyrics, Project Diva and Vocaloid star, Hatsune Miku seemed like the best fit.

Drowning - 2/3 An unpleasant sounding theme, needed a comedic shift. Sonic The Hedgehog 1 and my least favourite level of that game came to mind.

Spoiler

11666048_1611817845754815_42523845370761

Sorrow - 3/3 Having recently played Persona 4 Arena, a spinoff fighting game from the Persona franchise. The sorrow that new character Labrys feels during her story was the inspiration.

Round Table Knights - Originally intended as part of a collaboration, the idea feel through but the picture still works on it's own.

Alright, I was going to mention something else, but this post has been longer than expected to write. It'll have to wait until my next post, which will have more new art, I promise. So that's all for now. Take care!

• Thumbs Up 3

It's October, that means it's again that time of year to challenge artists with Inktober! In Inktober, you are encouraged to draw a picture in ink based a set theme for each day of the month and upload them on that day. Here's a list for 2017 that I located on Facebook.

Inktober

2017 Prompt List

1. Swift
  2. Divided
  3. Poison
  4. Underwater
  5. Long
  6. Sword
  7. Shy
  8. Crooked
  9. Screech
  10. Gigantic
  11. Run
  12. Shattered
  13. Teeming
  14. Fierce
  15. Mysterious
  16. Fat
  17. Graceful
  18. Filthy
  19. Cloud
  20. Deep
  21. Furious
  22. Trail
  23. Juicy
  24. Blind
  25. Ship
  26. Squeak
  27. Climb
  28. Fall
  29. United
  30. Found
  31. Mask

Todays is Swift and this was the result:

swift.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm on the second day of Inktober and I'm already struggling. The theme today is "divided" and my original idea was a Splatoon 2 turf war drawing. It was taking too long and became too complicated that I just had to move onto something else.

It is a bit of a stretch, but I quickly tried to clean up a comic I did regarding Sonic 4 Episode 2. Sonic and his fanbase are what is divided. *shrug* I know...it was a back up plan...I'll try to do better tomorrow.

sonic_4_ep2_special_stage.png

The joke only makes sense if you got an emerald in the game as they looked really big.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 3 went better than yesterday. But the effects of having a short time frame is stamping on my creativity.

Poison, here you go:

Poison.jpg

Special thanks to @Diogenes @VEDJ-F @Adamabba @Ghostrick Dorklord & @RedFox99 for helping with Poison type Pokémon. I intended to add more but the deadline wouldn't let me. I did at least try to make it so not all of them are generation 1 Pokémon.

• Thumbs Up 7

Day 4, Underwater.

While I was tempted to draw more Pokémon for this, I felt I should try a bit of variety within the themes, but I couldn't really think of anything else...I've never drawn him before, but here he is. SpongeBob Squarepants!

Underwater.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

Because I didn't post one yesterday (Got distracted by the RP.) this post contains two for Inktober.

5. Long

6. Sword

Spoiler

5 - Long:

Long.jpg

Based of a specific episode of a cartoon back in the late 90s called Dexter's Laboratory.

6 - Sword:

Sword.jpg

This is based of the Master Sword alter in the Temple of Time from Ocarina of Time.

• Thumbs Up 3

I remember Dexter's Lab. One of the saddest episodes was when Dee-Dee befriended a malfunctioning robot against Dexter's advice. It was one of the few episodes I felt bad for Dee-Dee since she was so sweet to the bot and vise versa...

You did a great job with lines for Dex and I like how you nailed the mood for the finding the master sword with the minimal use of lines around the shrine. Keep up the good work!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well...Inktober went south quickly. Rather then get stressed trying to catch up, I just had to not bother with it. I'll at least try to finish the ones I've started though. Meanwhile, I'm bored so I figured I might as well post these here.

Mukuro_Edit_1.png

Mukuro_Edit_8.png

The first two of ten. If you are a fan of Dangan Ronpa as well as follow and pay attention to how the series progressed, chances are, you know who this character is.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoilers Ahead:

Mukuro Ikusaba is a primary character in the game, but is actually in disguise. She never had any in game sprites as herself, being inspired by edited sprites of the cast, I went ahead and tried it myself.

Turns out I was shit, so I redrew her sprite (basically tracing it) of her in her disguise and changing parts to how she actually looks, adding her own personality in the process.

Still trying to add little touches to make it look like it's a part of the game. Tried to change the line art earlier...didn't go as planned, might need to try it a different way. She has ten different reaction sprites in the game and I intend to recreate them all, if you are into the game and see a fault in the art, please let me know. I'd appreciate it.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

Second part of the Mukuru Ikusaba redone sprites. These three required the minimal amount of editing as only her face needed to be changed. The last five are gonna need more work and probably altered to fit her stern personality.

Mukuro_Edit(2).png

Mukuro_Edit(3).png

Mukuro_Edit(10).png

I imagined the third reaction was brought about by Makoto. Not many people support Mukuru x Makoto and shipping rarely interests me, but I admit that I'm a fan of it. I got to really like Mukuru thanks to the bonus novel included in Dangan Ronpa 2, called DanganRonpa IF. I really felt for her, she was capable of becoming more than she was but was held down by loyalty for her deranged sister. If people reached out to her more, she could've even found happiness. The fact that she had doubts through the simple action of Makoto smiling at her, speaks volumes of her character.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, here is something long overdue.

Because of my procrastination, they've not properly appeared here yet, but I have two art mascots that I intend to use to add some variety and an excuse to be silly every so often. They are characters in the RP if you've given that thread a look. One is basically an exaggerated version of myself and is mostly a tool for self mocking.

The other one, although designed simple looking, is very symbolic in both references he has and the concept behind him. Although in the short gag comics they are set to appear in, he doesn't actually have a name. But for the purpose of the RP, he was given the name, Dave.

Created as an acronym which stands for Devious Apparition of Vindictive Emotions. Words that tend to have 3 or 2 letters aren't usually included in an acronym, anyway, here he is in his current form.

Dave_ID.png

This is an attempt at a more realistic interpretation, as generally he looks pretty basic. Here is another of him with 'Daniel.'

mascots.jpg

Dave started as a reflection of doubt in all it's forms. His physical form being a ghost symbolizes both fear and an ever present presence that causes anxiety. Basically, a haunting presence. That theme was continued with the triangle headband he wears that is often depicted in Japanese art worn by ghosts.

I wanted to know if it had an actual name or origin but according to a website I found, that information is not known.

I keep calling it “the cloth” because there is no specific word for it. The cloth goes by multiple names. The most grandiose term is tenkan, meaning heaven’s crown. The most commonplace is zukin, which is a standard word for hood or kerchief. Several of terms are simple and descriptive, like hitaieboshi meaning forehead hat, or hitaikakushi meaning forehead-hider and kamikakushi meaning hair-hider. The most basic term of all is sankaku no shiroi nuno. This means triangle-shaped white cloth.

Source: https://hyakumonogatari.com/2011/09/22/what-is-the-triangle-headband-japanese-ghosts-wear/

The blue flame in another ghost symbol and brightened his colour scheme a little. The last thing that was added to his design was the medallion he wears around his neck. The symbol on it is an upside down horse shoe which references bad luck, which is another subtle reference to the cognition. Have you heard of the phrase "Self fulfilling prophesy?" It refers to expecting the worst to happen, making it more likely to happen.

His colour scheme is also symbolic. Red and yellow are colours often used for danger signs and red is also heavily associated with anger while blue is associated with sadness. In his case, a flame that never goes out.

While he started as a reflection of doubt, he's become more like a physical manifestation of repressed emotions. The anger you feel for being bullied as a child. The regret from mistakes you made. The sadness of those you lost.

When the two interact, they tend to be hostile towards each other. That represents self hatred.

For the RP, he was fleshed out and had a more caring side, but he mostly remains the same. Even so...the real self doubt I have...the one that reminds me of my failures...it's actually much more ruthless than how Dave is depicted. The two were created for comedic purposes so I didn't really want him to be too aggressive.

That's it for Dave. I need to get more art of these two done, they're supposed to add a bit of fun and parody. It helps if I actually use them. XD

• Thumbs Up 5

Update:

Been wanting to turn a short novel that appeared in a game into a fan comic for some time now. I've had mixed results in the past with making comics, but now that I have a new computer that has a touchscreen and pen function as well as new software that can simplify making a comic, there was now reason not to try. So rather then consider it in some permanent state of unsureness, I just went ahead and tried to map out a front cover concept.

The character that is the centre of the story actually has a birthday this month, so it would be pretty cool to have a page or two done before then. For now, I shall label it, Project IF.

Cover_concept.jpg

This is the cover concept I mapped out. The final version might be this or changed, I just did this quickly as I had an idea to work with. Couldn't do as much as I wanted to, due to not feeling so good at the moment.

That's pretty much it for now.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 months later...

Hmm? After a while, the link to my images seem to fail. I haven't removed the images from the host website so I assume it's a fault of that website or this one....?

Anyway...after a long hiatus, I am attempting to get back into the creative arts once again! Stress, depression, environment...it all plays a part in why I lose focus. It creates frustration and results in even more stress, creating more depression and so on...

First, I want to share the first of a series of pictures I'm making, featuring my mascots characters. These pictures act as a personal reminder to myself and a handy self help type reference for anyone else.

Over the past month, I've been given a list of unhelpful thinking styles, it contains 10 in total. Here's the full list.

1. Mental Filter
  2. Jumping to Conclusions
  3. Personalisation
  4. Catastrophizing
  5. Black & White Thinking
  6. Shouldering & Mustering
  7. Overgeneralisation
  8. Labelling
  9. Emotional Reasoning
  10. Magnification & Minimisation

First up is Black & White Thinking.

Black_and_White.png

I'm guilty of using this thinking style sometimes. As the information says, it's focusing on one extreme or the other and not seeing any potential middle ground. When you stop to think about it, nothing in the world should be thought of in that way. Thinking outside the box is a necessary skill, you'll always have options out there and things are never hopeless.

This is the first of the 10 completed so far...

Next up is something random, it's kinda cute though, so I felt like sharing it with everyone. Even though it was created as an in joke.

Hi_Kirby.png

what if kirby's "hi" can be translated and it turns out he is actually a man of intellect who has a british accent.

The following quote originated from @Ryannumber1gamer and inspired me to draw this.

The thing that Kirby is "saying" is a quote from Stephen Hawking, I felt compelled to add a dedication to him. The colouring style was inspired by the visuals of Kirby's Dream Land 3. Also, even though I clearly drew Classic Sonic and Tails, Tails is using his translator from Sonic Colours. XD

(And yes, Kirby is holding a pipe.)

Last up is a reworking of a sprite I attempted to edit. I wasn't sure if it looked right and had consulted fellow members to see if we could identify the problem. So while the above two images are 100% my own work, this is me working on an official source to create something new. To recap, check the spoiler tag...

Spoiler

I turned this:

Mukuro_(1).png

Into this:

Mukuro_Edit_1.png

When you look closer at the official portrait sprites, you can see little imperfections. Varying width of line art. You could tell it was hand drawn. My desire for perfection was a hindrance in this process. So I focused on the Line Art and tones, redoing them to turn my new edited sprite into this.

Mukuro_1.png

Mukuru Ikusaba. As she actually looks. (If your familiar with Danganronpa, then you'll understand.)

I'm much happier with this version and finally consider it, complete. Now I have to give the same treatment to her other poses.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

• 1 month later...

What the?! Oh yeah, I never uploaded the Bomberman picture here. I just showed it in a status...

Intergalactic Hero

2m7wOqA.jpg

An action shot and a celebration of his return to the gaming world. Sure, the game wasn't perfect gameplay wise but I do like the visual style, humour and light hearted message at the end credits. This picture is not an attempt to emulate the new visual style, more like an attempt to draw him with a realistic lighting effect. This picture represents a rare occurrence too. I never drew any lines to create the picture. I used the different shape tools available with Clip Studio Paint instead.

Ultra Selfie Girls

1yTK0b3.png

Surprised myself with this one for several reasons. If you've seen my statuses over the past week then you might've seen the progress of this picture. I was inspired by Komaru's Birthday and thought it would only take a couple of days to make. As you know, it took longer than that...

My first idea was to draw Komaru fixing Toko's hair but I've seen fan art from another artist that was eerily similar to that idea. (And freakin' adorable. If you want to see it yourself, I'll show a link in a status I will write once I've finished writing this post.)

Komaru is a cheerful girl and somewhat of a trend follower, so if she had her own phone that can take pictures, I can imagine she'd try to take one of those "selfies" all the vain people are obsessed with these days. The black border is usually what shows up when you take a picture with those new fangled modern phones and the position of Komaru's arm is supposed to suggest she is holding it and taking the picture. (Catching Toko by surprise.)

My second surprise has never occurred before... You see, when an idea comes to me, I usually see the picture in my head. An imaginary reference to give a physical form. The final product almost never looks like the picture in my head. But this...? This somehow turned out better than the picture in my head. I think this happened because I was experimenting with what was available with Clip Studio Paint and used what I thought would give the picture some extra depth.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 2

That looks almost 1:1 like something that's right out of Danganronpa. Toko and Komaru literally look exactly on point.

• My Emmerdoods 1

Spike Chunsoft's looking for artists, you really gotta submit this! This is straight up legiiiiit!

• My Emmerdoods 1

Pretty nifty with the shading work on that Bomberman artwork. Also, that Dangaronpa piece could pass for canon work with how well you constructed it Dan!

• Fist Bump 1

Goodness me you've improved a lot! Look at you go, won't be long and you'll be pumping out some really awesome pro art!

• Fist Bump 1

I usually don't update with unfinished or just started work but over the past couple of days, I've been hit by a severe case of inspiration which resulted in four different developing ideas at the same time. I had to map them out as soon as possible or risk forgetting one of them later.

Theme: Fighting Sisters

nX0YUs0.jpg

A nagging voice kept insisting that I should have Uni fire while standing on one knee. But I didn't want one sister standing over the other, so Noire was changed to an action pose too. This new setup means I can also add injured monsters to the foreground. So this is the beginning of the second draft...

Theme: Master & Servant

YGpfxyc.jpg

A reference to a running gag which often depicts Etna in promotional art, sitting on a Prinny like a chair. Though it might be hard to tell from this draft, Hero Prinny is the chair this time.

Theme: Despair

cN3bzH5.jpg

It's not often I draw something with a dark tone, but this one will be heavy with it. It....kinda makes me sad just looking at it, but it's far from finished...

Theme: Four Swords

ysdN36V.jpg

Don't let the theme fool you. This has no connection to The Legend of Zelda. It is the first that has a cross over element though. What they all have in common is that they wield swords. Now the fourth character is clearly Kirby and some might think, why choose Kirby when Meta-Knight seems like the more obvious option? Well....theirs a reason for that...

Stay tuned for further developments on these and many others...

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...

Previously in...this topic:

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:28 PM, DanJ86 said:

Well...Inktober went south quickly. Rather then get stressed trying to catch up, I just had to not bother with it. I'll at least try to finish the ones I've started though. Meanwhile, I'm bored so I figured I might as well post these here.

Mukuro_Edit_1.png

Mukuro_Edit_8.png

The first two of ten. If you are a fan of Dangan Ronpa as well as follow and pay attention to how the series progressed, chances are, you know who this character is.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoilers Ahead:

Mukuro Ikusaba is a primary character in the game, but is actually in disguise. She never had any in game sprites as herself, being inspired by edited sprites of the cast, I went ahead and tried it myself.

Turns out I was shit, so I redrew her sprite (basically tracing it) of her in her disguise and changing parts to how she actually looks, adding her own personality in the process.

Still trying to add little touches to make it look like it's a part of the game. Tried to change the line art earlier...didn't go as planned, might need to try it a different way. She has ten different reaction sprites in the game and I intend to recreate them all, if you are into the game and see a fault in the art, please let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Wait...what?! It's almost been a year? Unbelievable...

Hmm? Oh, right...Spent the past week focusing only on art so I can finally finish a project and success has been reached. Specifically about the one mentioned above.

Mukuro 1:

Spoiler

7IdrKeH.png

Neutral.

Mukuro 2:

Spoiler

wT0WlfW.png

Serious/mild concern.

Mukuro 3:

Spoiler

HIg0y5S.png

Serious concern/nervous.

Mukuro 4:

Spoiler

9ChWll6.png

Fear.

Mukuro 5:

Spoiler

wOc4t9b.png

Rage.

Mukuro 6:

Spoiler

MiXoCYc.png

Friendly.

Mukuro 7:

Spoiler

xeFFNcq.png

Pensive.

Mukuro 8:

Spoiler

2liWnZB.png

Murderous rage.

Mukuro 9:

Spoiler

WzZs82f.png

Unimpressed.

Mukuro 10:

Spoiler

N0w3kLO.png

Embarrassment/shocked.

Mukuro Ikusaba had ten sprite portraits all together and I edited each of them to how she actually looks. Now I am fairly confident that this specific project is complete. Yeah, I've edited all her sprites but...sure, I could make more. They'd just not be based on any of her original sprites.

What will come next? I'm not yet sure but I know I have other stuff that need finishing...

• Thumbs Up 6

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:58 AM, DanJ86 said:

Update:

Been wanting to turn a short novel that appeared in a game into a fan comic for some time now. I've had mixed results in the past with making comics, but now that I have a new computer that has a touchscreen and pen function as well as new software that can simplify making a comic, there was now reason not to try. So rather then consider it in some permanent state of unsureness, I just went ahead and tried to map out a front cover concept.

The character that is the centre of the story actually has a birthday this month, so it would be pretty cool to have a page or two done before then. For now, I shall label it, Project IF.

Cover_concept.jpg

This is the cover concept I mapped out. The final version might be this or changed, I just did this quickly as I had an idea to work with. Couldn't do as much as I wanted to, due to not feeling so good at the moment.

That's pretty much it for now.

I don't really have anything special to show but I need to announce the revival of this project. I forgot all about it. Clip Studio has tools specific for creating a comic and Project IF will make for a good testing ground.

NtV9wxj.png

You can create a template like this and edit them to best suit your needs. If anyone is interested in this comic, stay tuned for more details in the following weeks.

• Thumbs Up 1