Awoo.

Sonic Forces has Denuvo

Crazy_Diamond

Whilst i completely agree that adding something like Denuvo to a game is a somewhat selfish, desperate, and (as evidence has shown, in the end) unecessary move... I also find the negative reaction to it is also blown way out of proportion as for what distress Denuvo actually causes the customer in the end.

If you're a PC gamer, and you like Sonic. Play the game. Enjoy it. Uninstall it after. Get on with life... it's an annoyance, yeah, but the widespread butthurt is so over the top. It's this kind of shit that makes me embarassed to admit i'm a "pc gamer".

58 minutes ago, Fijut said:

Whilst i completely agree that adding something like Denuvo to a game is a somewhat selfish, desperate, and (as evidence has shown, in the end) unecessary move... I also find the negative reaction to it is also blown way out of proportion as for what distress Denuvo actually causes the customer in the end.

If you're a PC gamer, and you like Sonic. Play the game. Enjoy it. Uninstall it after. Get on with life... it's an annoyance, yeah, but the widespread butthurt is so over the top. It's this kind of shit that makes me embarassed to admit i'm a "pc gamer".

End-users who legally purchase the game have every right to complain about DRM that either doesn't work correctly or prevents them playing the product they bought in a way they want that isn't breaking the law. People shouldn't shell out $40 for something they're just going to need to uninstall and be expected to get over it. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as it's sometimes made out to be, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss people's concerns just because there's a few hyperbolic claims floating around (the best I can think of is people on Steam forums referring to the DRM as "malware"--something I find kind of strange, but whatever) as "widespread butthurt."

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

End-users who legally purchase the game have every right to complain about DRM that either doesn't work correctly or prevents them playing the product they bought in a way they want that isn't breaking the law. People shouldn't shell out $40 for something they're just going to need to uninstall and be expected to get over it. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as it's sometimes made out to be, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss people's concerns just because there's a few hyperbolic claims floating around (the best I can think of is people on Steam forums referring tot he DRM as "malware"--something I find kind of strange, but whatever) as "widespread butthurt."

like i said. I'm not defending either side really.

Just now, Sean said:

It's cool to get confirmation that I don't have to buy any of Sega's PC releases from now on.

This is exactly what I fear. All of us, we're right in avoiding Denuvo games, or waiting for a price cut to get the games. Denuvo is totally anti-consumer and should at the very least be removed from software after it has been cracked (which usually takes less than a week now).

I can understand protecting the launch window with DRM, but Mania should have had it removed by now, and it hasn't.

Denuvo might become a very big issue in the future, but what I fear the most is the message SEGA will get from this.

I bet it's going to be "PC doesn't sell anymore" rather than "Denuvo is harming our sales".

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Patron said:

The problem isn't really the here and now, but rather the long-term. As far as we know the Denuvo component needs to check in at least one time per installation. So what happens when there's either a new DRM-flavour of the month or it's just not profitable enough to keep the servers online? You're either stuck with an activated version that can only run on a very specific configuration or a bricked game. While there's always the option of updating the game with no DRM or a different kind, the precedent with Games for Windows Live products is less than stellar. Or in other words:

denuvoforces.thumb.png.08a595dccefa09eb212a1fb9b9f05724.png

I can't get over that, Denuvo locks itself in on whatever hardware configuration you have. I mean, that's so antithetical to the PC gaming experience in and of itself. Nevermind that it inherently requires that Denuvo keeps their servers always online, so the good boys and girls can play the game that they spent $40 on.

Just... Fuck off, SEGA.

55 minutes ago, Sean said:

It's cool to get confirmation that I don't have to buy any of Sega's PC releases from now on.

Indeed. GG SoE, I got better games to play. Samus Returns is pretty fantastic guys, can't wait to see what else the year has to offer.

53 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

This is exactly what I fear. All of us, we're right in avoiding Denuvo games, or waiting for a price cut to get the games. Denuvo is totally anti-consumer and should at the very least be removed from software after it has been cracked (which usually takes less than a week now).

I can understand protecting the launch window with DRM, but Mania should have had it removed by now, and it hasn't.

Denuvo might become a very big issue in the future, but what I fear the most is the message SEGA will get from this.

I bet it's going to be "PC doesn't sell anymore" rather than "Denuvo is harming our sales".

Are you implying that SoE is completely tone-deaf, and that they're so out of touch on their consumers wants and needs? Say it ain't, so!

What a shame. SoE's been great about PC ports, it was great seeing Vanquish on PC earlier this year. Then they had to go fuck it up with Mania. I suppose we should've all seen it coming, they've been putting Denuvo into Total War and Football Manager beforehand.

And I actually agree with your line about protecting the launch window. If SoE stated that's where their direction was, I'd be okay with spending money on Forces. At least I'd know that investment wasn't liable to go to waste due to "unforeseen" circumstances, like Denuvo going out of business or something. I mean, I'd still be annoyed that SEGA is being one of those companies that apparently lacks confidence in their products to do well on their own merits without treating prospective customers like criminals, but I'd at least understand.

But no, there is no understanding here. It's this rather cowardly and underhanded sliding in that makes me all the more infuriated. Some part of me wishes Denuvo was so slimy, that they wanted their names on the splash screen of the game starting up. I want that to be a brand of shame. Because companies like SoE absolutely should be.

Sorta figured. I expected this would just be standard in all of SEGA's future PC releases until they eventually wise up and realize how consumer unfriendly it is.

Course SEGA being as tone deaf as they are, I also expect by the time they replace it they'll be engaging in some other equally boneheaded practice.

Thought the review bombing plus the refund requests for Mania would have had an effect, but oh welp.

Anyway, will CPY even bother cracking Forces at all? It's probably going to bomb so bad that the requests might be minimum.

There's only a handful of Denuvo games that haven't been cracked, and those games are either extremely obscure or (the more common reason) online-only.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh, this is so annoying. A friend of mine was interested in getting the pre-order bonus skin for Forces, but was (and still is) rather cynical about Forces itself. He said that if he didn't like the game proper, he was willing to transfer it over to my computer as I am feeling a lot more positive about this game. But with this revelation, he can't, because my computer is a Mac and Denovu hates OS-X. It will pretty much never let a game be played on a Mac, especially one that was originally downloaded on a PC. Denovu also despises WINE and Windows emulators for Macs, so they straight up don't work on games that can be perfectly functional on Macs but get blocked by Denovu. Yes emulators are associated with piracy... but the friend was going to buy a legal copy of the game and possibly gift it to me (which is no more illegal than giving a friend a disc with a game on it that you've tried but don't like). Sega would have gotten his money guys! And WINE is not an emulator-- it says as such in the acronym! But now my friend is probably not going to buy the game at all out of disgust, a decision I strongly sympathize with.

Well, guess Forces won't be playable on a Mac guys. Guess I'm just going to have to play the Switch version... :/

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Korke said:

Anyway, will CPY even bother cracking Forces at all? It's probably going to bomb so bad that the requests might be minimum.

That's... not how any of this works.

@Mad Convoy Denuvo might not necessary be a stopper, seeing as Mania works in the latest versions of WINE (Staging), but if it's uses DirectX 10 - 12, that could become a problem.