Awoo.

Do you prefer the 3D games' voice acting in Japanese or English?

SatAMhog

I have to admit, since watching Sonic X back in college, I've had a preference for the Japanese cast and their little bouts of "Engrish" spliced in.  I love Mike Pollock as Eggman(that's the one role they seem to get right most of the time...Sonic Underground Robotnik was kinda just okay)but the rest of the cast after the original 3D voice cast has been hit or miss, especially the newer cast.

What's your preference for the upcoming Forces? English or Japanese VAs?

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

I'm alright with either one but the thing is the script for the English version.

Speaking of the script, how did you find the latest trailer in English?  I'm surprised they kinda just dubbed the lines over the existing footage...it seemed off to some.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, SatAMhog said:

Speaking of the script, how did you find the latest trailer in English?  I'm surprised they kinda just dubbed the lines over the existing footage...it seemed off to some.

I actually liked the trailer and was surprised people didn't like it. Hopefully, the next English trailer will do a better job.

Well, I've always favored Sonic in English, even during the days when 4Kids was here. I've only ever preferred Sonic in Japanese with Sonic X. I think it's maybe because despite this being a Japanese franchise, it still feels more Western to me and I've never had a problem with the English actors growing up. It's absolutely impossible for me to playthrough the Adventure games in Japanese for too long. I love the cast way too much and see them as perfect for the respective games they starred in back then.

Now, I have noticed that with more modern Sonic titles I can sit through them with the Japanese voices on. I even thought the Forces story trailer was better in Japanese than English and very well may play that game completely in Japanese and keep it that way after I beat it. Who knows? 

Also, I don't hate the Japanese Sonic cast. Not at all. Just too used to hearing my favorite characters speaking full English is all.

3 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Well, I've always favored Sonic in English, even during the days when 4Kids was here. I've only ever preferred Sonic in Japanese with Sonic X. I think it's maybe because despite this being a Japanese franchise, it still feels more Western to me and I've never had a problem with the English actors growing up. It's absolutely impossible for me to playthrough the Adventure games in Japanese for too long. I love the cast way too much and see them as perfect for the respective games they starred in back then.

Now, I have noticed that with more modern Sonic titles I can sit through them with the Japanese voices on. I even thought the Forces story trailer was better in Japanese than English and very well may play that game completely in Japanese and keep it that way after I beat it. Who knows? 

Also, I don't hate the Japanese Sonic cast. Not at all. Just too used to hearing my favorite characters speaking full English is all.

That's cool. :)  Who's your favorite of the current English VAs?  Besides Mike Pollock, I liked Tails' new cocky VA in Colors through Lost World.  I think the VA bounced perfectly off "Chris Redfield" Sonic's playful personality. 

I play the games in English because that's the language I actually understand.

I've got nothing against playing/watching something in a foreign language with subtitles, but if I've got an English version on hand and it's not outright terribly dubbed, I don't see much reason in not using that version. And while not every English voice actor for the series has been great and the series had problems with timing and lip synching early on, the dubbing has never been so bad that it's bothered me much.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I play the games in English because that's the language I actually understand.

I've got nothing against playing/watching something in a foreign language with subtitles, but if I've got an English version on hand and it's not outright terribly dubbed, I don't see much reason in not using that version. And while not every English voice actor for the series has been great and the series had problems with timing and lip synching early on, the dubbing has never been so bad that it's bothered me much.

I can respect that.  Not everyone wants to read subtitles when enjoying a cutscene or a movie for that matter.  I just like the Japanese VAs because it sounds like they put a lot more effort into it then the English VAs...I'm not saying the English VAs don't as a lot of them do very good work but I find the Japanese VAs put a lot more energy and genuine emotion into their effort whereas the English dialouge is just kinda there sometimes.  Now, a lot of that tends to come from the script as well and you can only do so much with what you have.  Sonic Heroes' script for instance, SUPER cheesy as it was and really funny in places(All THOSE EGGMAN'S ROBOTS!)was really poor in places as well.

2 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

That's cool. :)  Who's your favorite of the current English VAs?  Besides Mike Pollock, I liked Tails' new cocky VA in Colors through Lost World.  I think the VA bounced perfectly off "Chris Redfield" Sonic's playful personality. 

Well, I really do enjoy Roger as Sonic. I think he makes Sonic sound a bit older and cooler, but I think I overall still like Ryan Drummond the most from the Adventure era (While Jason Griffth is the one I associate with Sonic whenever I think about Sonic speaking. I think Jason voice as Sonic is just too iconic...)

Quiton Flynn as Silver is perfect. I like Cindy Robison as Amy, but prefer her Boom Amy voice more. I think it just shows that a great actor really works with good directing because I know there was plenty that didn't like how she sounded in Lost World and it wasn't the actor fault at all that she was making Amy sound like Minnie Mouse. While Collen Villard does a great job as Tails (especially in Sonic Boom), I still think Kate Higgens was the best actor Tails ever had even though she lasted from Sonic Free Riders to Lost World. I know at first listen Kate and Collen literally sound the same as Tails, but if you listen closely there is a difference. It's hard for me to explain but for me Kate Higgens is better. Maybe not by a large margin, but still better in the end. Wish she would have stayed voicing Tails.

2 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Well, I really do enjoy Roger as Sonic. I think he makes Sonic sound a bit older and cooler, but I think I overall still like Ryan Drummond the most from the Adventure era (While Jason Griffth is the one I associate with Sonic whenever I think about Sonic speaking. I think Jason voice as Sonic is just too iconic...)

Quiton Flynn as Silver is perfect. I like Cindy Robison as Amy, but prefer her Boom Amy voice more. I think it just shows that a great actor really works with good directing because I know there was plenty that didn't like how she sounded in Lost World and it wasn't the actor fault at all that she was making Amy sound like Minnie Mouse. While Collen Villard does a great job as Tails (especially in Sonic Boom), I still think Kate Higgens was the best actor Tails ever had even though she lasted from Sonic Free Riders to Lost World. I know at first listen Kate and Collen literally sound the same as Tails, but if you listen closely there is a difference. It's hard for me to explain but for me Kate Higgens is better. Maybe not by a large margin, but still better in the end. Wish she would have stayed voicing Tails.

And here I thought Collen was only voicing Tails for Boom...they are very similar but yeah, you can notice the differences.  That's a bummer but ah well, I hope we get a good performance anyways.

I generally prefer English because I'm used to the English voices and they're in a language I actually understand. That and the Engrish really stands out to me in a lot of the earlier Sonic stuff and it annoys me.

I think the only exception was Sonic Riders Zero Gravity. The English voices were immensely irritating to me. I had to switch to Japanese voices with English subs to be able to stand playing the game, which is a shame because I love the rest of the game and I know the English voice actors are capable of better.

Yes, I prefer them in English. I love the Japanese voices too but I tend to gravitate towards the language I understand.

The only time I seek out the Japanese version is when I'm watching Sonic X or looking for the original Japanese script out of curiosity. 

If I wanted to change the voices it'd be for some of the early 4kids voice acted games. Like Riders and 06. Those were legit awful.

5 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

I generally prefer English because I'm used to the English voices and they're in a language I actually understand. That and the Engrish really stands out to me in a lot of the earlier Sonic stuff and it annoys me.

I think the only exception was Sonic Riders Zero Gravity. The English voices were immensely irritating to me. I had to switch to Japanese voices with English subs to be able to stand playing the game, which is a shame because I love the rest of the game and I know the English voice actors are capable of better.

Really? I liked the English voice acting in Zero Gravity, especially the Babylon Rogues!  The 4Kids VAs were the best for the Babylon Rogues because I thought they got the "bird" voices down just right especially Wave and Jet.

3 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

For Adventure up to Advance 3, I liked both about equally.

For everything afterwards up to now, Japanese.

I'll agree with you there...the original VAs and Japanese were equal during that time.  After 4Kids came in, the quality was all over the place.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Yes, I prefer them in English. I love the Japanese voices too but I tend to gravitate towards the language I understand.

The only time I seek out the Japanese version is when I'm watching Sonic X or looking for the original Japanese script out of curiosity. 

If I wanted to change the voices it'd be for some of the early 4kids voice acted games. Like Riders and 06. Those were legit awful.

I do wish they'd release Sonic X in Japanese for us here in the states.  The 4Kids version was just butchered script AND story wise!

3 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

Really? I liked the English voice acting in Zero Gravity, especially the Babylon Rogues!  The 4Kids VAs were the best for the Babylon Rogues because I thought they got the "bird" voices down just right especially Wave and Jet.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. It should be noted that I have very little tolerance for nasally, raspy voices. I can enjoy Sticks's voice but that's about it and even then that's in part because there's only one and she's not always on scream mode.

In Zero Gravity, from my perspective, everybody's tone remind me of Sticks. I cannot tolerate for long a voice acting cast composed entirely of Sticks-like tones. The Japanese voices don't have that problem so I'm fine with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. It should be noted that I have very little tolerance for nasally, raspy voices. I can enjoy Sticks's voice but that's about it and even then that's in part because there's only one and she's not always on scream mode.

In Zero Gravity, from my perspective, everybody's tone remind me of Sticks. I cannot tolerate for long a voice acting cast composed entirely of Sticks-like tones. The Japanese voices don't have that problem so I'm fine with them.

Now you have a point with Sticks'.  I like her English VA but it does grate on the ears if it goes on for too long.  It's not the same intolerance as Cream's 4Kids VA squeakiness but it's close.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, SatAMhog said:

Now you have a point with Sticks'.  I like her English VA but it does grate on the ears if it goes on for too long.  It's not the same intolerance as Cream's 4Kids VA squeakiness but it's close.

Pretty much my opinion on Sticks. 

3 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

First off, thank you for the kind response even though you don't agree with me.

And yeah, too much Sticks is not a good thing. Fortunately, her English voice actor varies her voice enough that its not an issue, but its very easy for a voice like Sticks's to go from unique in a good way to worse than than nails on a chalkboard. Her Japanese voice doesn't have that problem, but it also lacks the uniqueness, variety, and liveliness that makes the English voice so appealing to me.

1 minute ago, Mad Convoy said:

First off, thank you for the kind response even though you don't agree with me.

And yeah, too much Sticks is not a good thing. Fortunately, her English voice actor varies her voice enough that its not an issue, but its very easy for a voice like Sticks's to go from unique in a good way to worse than than nails on a chalkboard. Her Japanese voice doesn't have that problem, but it also lacks the uniqueness, variety, and liveliness that makes the English voice so appealing to me.

It's no problem, I know things can get heated on these forums unnecessarily so I try but don't always succeed.^^; I've never actually listened to her Japanese VA (I never watched Boom in Japanese funnily enough)so I'll have to get it a listen.

• Thumbs Up 1

English, more specifically the 4kids cast! Even though my first 3D Sonic game was Heroes, I grew up mostly with Shadow the Hedgehog and the PS2 version of Unleashed, and other games where the 4kids voices appeared! I guess it’s just a nostalgia thing XD I still, however enjoy the Adventure era cast, and the current cast!

English. The voice acting is quite good if you ask me at times. I think griffith nailed it unleashed and black knight as Sonic and he was awesome as Shadow in Rivals 2 and Black Knight, before he wasn't bad, good if you ask me. Others I can tolerate, some, bleh(Pete Capella, Thornton Shadow, Jet's new voice to be exact.)

The Japanese cast I only saw few times, I stay with English, since I was a child I always liked the English cast, but I have to admit that I prefer Jason Griffith than Roger, I do not think Roger's voice is bad, I think it's good, but in my opinion the voice of Griffth is the one that most suited with Sonic, I just realized that Sega had changed the Sonic's voice actor in 2012, even if I prefer the English Cast, I really think it's very weird that the story trailer is only dubbed, maybe in the game will be better, but the trailer in my opinion with Japanese Cast is a lot better, and for me has several cool stuff in the Japanese Cast, I like how they say "Sonikku" and "Infinitu", Eggman's voice actor for me is very fun, because in my opinion he does not fit the character, but his tone of voice I like a lot, but I still want to wait for the game to launch to see which cast for me will look better.

I usually go with English because I prefer dialogue to play out "as dialogue".  I don't like reading subtitles and will always switch them off when possible, because I don't want to see the character's entire sentence before they've finished saying it.  I think Sonic Unleashed's opening line was the worst case of this for the entire series, where for an entire ten seconds you know in advance that Eggman's laughter is going to get cut off with a "...Hm?" because of the subtitles - glad they gave me the option to turn them off before the opening cut-scene played.  I only know about this due to the Wii version's lack of subtitle options.

I loved Sonic X back in the day, so the Japanese voices give me a lot of nostalgia for that time in my life, and I like to use them occasionally.  But I admit, with the scripts now being written in English, with actual thought-out timing and an increase in jokes that depend on HOW they're said as much as what's being said, it's harder to stomach listening to the Japanese with scripts that are clearly like SO english...ly written.

I'd be more interested in using Japanese if the subtitles reflected a translation of the Japanese script, rather than just being the English script, with regular moments where the English joke is clearly not what the Japanese script went for etc.  Takes me out of it.  Obviously having a seperate English subtitle track for Japanese would be an extreme frivolity though, as to be fair, you'd need to provide the same to all dialogue languages available... and then all those languages would need their own subtitle tracks for all the other languages.