Awoo.

Nakamura and Iizuka on the Custom Hero

Zaysho

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

Man if they think most fanart conforms to Sonic's regular body shape they really didn't delve too far into deviantART did they.

I know this is more of a joke, but...they're not really wrong saying that across the board. Even on Pixiv, the fancharacters mostly adhere to Sonic's size and proportions. The fancharacters that don't tend to be done by older fans purposefully playing with body type designs, whereas kids and tweens (the ones who this mode is likely aimed at) don't do that really. 

Edit: wait a minute was that a smut joke

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

26 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I know this is more of a joke, but...they're not really wrong saying that across the board. Even on Pixiv, the fancharacters mostly adhere to Sonic's size and proportions. The fancharacters that don't tend to be done by older fans purposefully playing with body type designs, whereas kids and tweens (the ones who this mode is likely aimed at) don't do that really. 

Edit: wait a minute was that a smut joke

I mean.. surely younger players would want to make a sick-ass muscular bear. The bears are the worst offenders of this, they really should, at the least, be the ones with different bodies. They could at least look like Bark, and not chimpanzees.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 3

Also the male avatars are technically not even as buff as Sonic in their body shape, because Sonic's torso gets more broad towards his shoulders.... So if you wanted to create a OC with Sonic's exact body proportions... then you are out of luck.

3qWaErJ.png

• Thumbs Up 5

I figured you wouldn't be able to change body size. It'd probably mess with hitboxes and cutscene stuff if you could change the size dramatically.

7 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

I figured you wouldn't be able to change body size. It'd probably mess with hitboxes and cutscene stuff if you could change the size dramatically.

If we are just talking about character proportions and not height... then that first part about hitboxes you said is not how games work, changing body proportion doesn't change hitboxes by itself. And far as cutscene stuff? Other games with custom avatars handle it well enough... it's not like Sonic is some kind of exception to the rule.

• Thumbs Up 6

43 minutes ago, Razule said:

I mean.. surely younger players would want to make a sick-ass muscular bear. The bears are the worst offenders of this, they really should, at the least, be the ones with different bodies. They could at least look like Bark, and not chimpanzees.

Ok that got me! XD

13 hours ago, rosedust said:

tbh im glad i can be a girl cuz i thought og they were only gonna have a male option. mr iizuka invented social justice progression....

The same guy who said only male hedgehogs could turn super? 

Actually, that makes perfect sense. Iizuka says one thing and does another, as usual. 

• Thumbs Up 2

57 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Also the male avatars are technically not even as buff as Sonic in their body shape, because Sonic's torso gets more broad towards his shoulders.... So if you wanted to create a OC with Sonic's exact body proportions... then you are out of luck.

3qWaErJ.png

That's exactly the problem. They all have shapes reminiscent of the Boom NPCs instead of Sonic's own. In other words, they're a little off.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Razule said:

I mean.. surely younger players would want to make a sick-ass muscular bear.

From my experience, they wouldn't. They tend towards the standard body template, and anything outside of that is less popular, even if it makes sense for their species (it's honestly probably a contributing factor as to why Espio is the fan favourite for the younger crowd over Vector). Even if it looks really weird for a bear to be that small, a younger fan would probably prefer that to something like Bark.

• Thumbs Up 3

...but i've seen plenty of oc characters having different body types, like vectors or smaller characters.

Why does this sound like some weird excuse for them not wanting to have to animate in cut scene the other characters reacting to how large or small your character is, like saints row 3 and 4

9 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

That's exactly the problem. They all have shapes reminiscent of the Boom NPCs instead of Sonic's own. In other words, they're a little off.

also this, making them look like sonic made less sense because they don't

They look like they are from like toon town

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

It's possible, but if this is the case, then why did they decide regardless to make one of the species options a bear?

5 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

So yeah, I've heard about this and I'm pretty disappointed, it won't bother me too much though.

As dumb as their reasoning is, I see why the team would believe younger fans would only prefer the standard Sonic body type. But even then, you can't give them a buff build like most of the canon males or give the female ocs more feminine builds like Amy or Blaze, they all have plain Boom esque bodies.

I don't even understand why they added a bear in the first place if you can't properly make them large, it's like adding a giraffe but they can't have long necks. It's pointless.

I'm sure the Xenoverse teams thought the same thing about kids only making Saiyans but that didn't stop them now did it?

I understand sizes being a hit box issue but bodies would've made no difference.

I don't think Xenoverse and Forces can be compared though.

Xenoverse mostly focuses on the CaC first and the other characters second, while Forces focuses on all three.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

...but i've seen plenty of oc characters having different body types, like vectors or smaller characters.

1. They're still vastly outnumbered by the OCs with the standard body type.

2. As I said before, most of those are made by older fans, not really those that the CaC mode is aimed for. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

2 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

If we are just talking about character proportions and not height... then that first part about hitboxes you said is not how games work, changing body proportion doesn't change hitboxes by itself. And far as cutscene stuff? Other games with custom avatars handle it well enough... it's not like Sonic is some kind of exception to the rule.

Height. And I said dramatically. Otherwise I doubt it'd change enough for you to notice anyways. And, uh, yeah, obviously proportions wouldn't change the hitbox, meaning you'd be bigger or smaller than the hitboxes themselves. They'd have to then change the hitboxes, which could affect gameplay more than other games with OCs, since this is a platformer. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other platformers with OC creation, though, so I dunno. Maybe they made it so no corridor would be too small for any character to get through.

I'm not saying it's an exception either, but they'd probably want the character to stay the same size as the rest of the cast (Big and Storm don't seem to be around, so).

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

It's possible, but if this is the case, then why did they decide regardless to make one of the species options a bear?

No idea. Have we seen the bear yet? I don't remember.

Maybe it was just an excuse to give them different ears and faces... IMO they should've just had various parts of different animals that you could mix and match with (as weird as a hedgehog with a beak would look), or something. 

• Thumbs Up 2

See, what I'm wondering is if Sonic even is that popular with kids these days.

...and why they didn't add at least a lizard. I thought kids love lizards. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

I can remember them mentioning they wanted to avoid the OC characters looking cooler then Sonic, even tough they don't mention that in this interview.
So that's probably why they have the Sonic boom body shape with more of a beer belly instead of a puffed up chest like what Sonic, especailly Shadow and ESPECIALLY 90% of the Sonic style fan characters have.

I mean, nothing showcases this better then comparing Shadow with Fake Shadow from Forces.
shape.thumb.png.f408e8ad46f41260223f0d1660563137.png

So hey, the OC character is supposed to represent us, so I suppose the more pathetic figure is a closer match to most of us.
Not me personally, my character would need to be a cross between Big the Cat and Mr. Bean, but whatever.

Yeah, this supports the possibility that the other mobians had to actually build their puffed chests and stuff, while the random citizens don't have that shape.

In context, it does make sense for the Avatar to be more scrawny than the average official Sonic character due to starting off as an mere citizen.

Still, if they're supposed to be important, then it wouldn't hurt for them to actually stand more than the NPCs, who's to say your avatar works out more or happens to be quite out of shape regarding body types?:P

• Thumbs Up 8

Maybe it'd be a hassle getting every costume piece to fit on the various body types? I've noticed Tekken 7 doesn't have very many unique costume pieces, for example.

I'm not a game designer though so I dunno if it's that hard or if it's as simple as resizing the costume piece.

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

1. They're still vastly outnumbered by the OCs with the standard body type.

2. As I said before, most of those are made by older fans, not really those that the CaC mode is aimed for. 

I feel like you need citation , but also...older fans. Like my self , like character creators. I actually loved character creators more as I got older. I find that at least in my experience children or when I was younger would blast through the character creator. And there were a lot more adults or at least teens who appreciated making something cool

but that's just my experience  

9 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Yeah, this supports the possibility that the other mobians had to actually build their puffed chests and stuff, while the random citizens don't have that shape.

That would explain Tails' body shape. He doesn't run and fight as often as the others.

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, GuyWithThePie said:

That would explain Tails' body shape. He doesn't run and fight as often as the others.

Tails is also 8.... so its not like he needs to be cut like everyone else. That would just be weird. Let Foxy keep his baby fat for a few more years,

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, GuyWithThePie said:

That's reeeaaallly hard to believe, considering he's no more inactive than anyone who isn't Sonic from 2008 to now. That's just his build, because he's a kid.