Awoo.

Female Sonic character tier list(battle strength and skill wise)

Dash Speed

1 hour ago, Foxthefox1000 said:

That training to use her skills to their peak capability and Rouge's feat of knowing Espio's presence trumps any enhanced senses from other characters, and that's fact.

First off, that trumps squat. Rouge being able to track Espio is not leagues beyond what other character can do. In fact, In the comics, Knuckles is the resident expert chameleon tracker and specifically states that it is not difficult to do so, so long as you know how. There is a trick to spotting chameleons through their camouflage and stealth - not a skill barrier.

Rouge shows good awareness sure, but she's still been caught red handed in a heist multiple times (SA2, battle, 06), she still attempted to claim a Chaos Emeralds in 06 unaware of the danger of Iblis (to which Shadow was the first to react), and has been surprised just like everyone else. I'm not so quick to put her on a pedistal that much higher than anyone else

While Blaze's training is vague, she too has proven to be keen. She has been aware of other characters tailing her (Rush), and perceptive enough to see through potential danger (Rush Adv). Her skills are sharp

I dunno, considering Blaze is scared of heights and the only way to hit her would be flying or shooting projectiles... that seems like a good amount of grounds Rouge can metaphorically stand on to give her an advantage.

Blaze powers through her fear of heights in every game. It has never significant limited her in any way.

Blaze also has an infinite supply of ammunition in the form of fireballs, so projectiles arn't a problem for her and with a running start + her burst hover, Blaze has no small degree of aerial maneuverability. Rouge would have a much harder time tracking down something moving so fast than Blaze would hitting something in the air.

Also, Blaze can also get hurt from fire due to those same game mechanics, so I wouldn't use conflicting things like that.

Where? In Rush and Rush adventure, fire recedes when in Blaze's presence and she walks through unharmed.

Tanking a black hole? He reversed the effects with his speed in the Archie comics (I was using IDW, a more grounded source in terms of canon) and then in Colors, he eventually succumbed.

Point is he took a universal amount of damage and survived more or less unscathed. Powerscale-ing Blaze's fireball by how much damage it did to him is a fools errand because a.) she wasn't trying to hurt him and b.) in the grant scheme of things a punch from crabmeat has the same lethality as getting run through by the Egg Dragoon.

The only real takeaways we can see from damage output is what it takes to knock Sonic out. There are very few characters that have ever shown the kind of power to knock out Sonic in a single blow with anything short of a sucker punch. Blaze can. and that is straight out of Sonic Rush.

Chronicles is non-canon, also? How so? What evidence is there to base this off of? Can I get a direct quote from Izuka, because last I checked, the canon is already a big mess and It's in a questionable or pending state. It's definitely more in-line with the Main series than Pre-Gen Archie.

Chronicles is non-canon because it is.  I shouldn't need to reiterate this - but whatever.

It wasn't made by Sonic Team, its never been directly referenced by any of the canon games, it takes massive liberties with established characters, it a choose-your-own-dialog adventure making most of the content obsolete, blah blah blah

here

In the top of this post AAUK reminds us that Kevin Eva (Community Manager of Sega Europe) has gone on record stating that Chronicles is one of the Non-Canon games.

I actually like all the lure the game adds to the franchise. But it is firmly in the non-canon category. No ifs ands or buts about it. 

Also, fire can burn underwater, actually, so long as a chemical reaction is constantly taking place. However, magical water rings should logically dispel magical fire hands. There's also the "subzero" ice attacks, earth attacks, and "hurricane" wind attacks from the Rings.

Now your just hypothesizing.

If your going to go down that road, let remember that in the Megaman crossover comics, Blaze went up against a small army of fire starters and fire benders and overpowered each and every one by taking their fire and using it against them. Her magic fire hands were a class above. Not to be matched or negated by other sets of fire benders.

Another good example is her relation to Bean. That duck can create and spontaneously combust explosives with a thought. And yet if explosions require fire, Blaze is cable of rendering them inert. Again, her control over pyrokenisis trumps other magical properties.

So unless those magic trinkets have shown the ability to nerf other forms of magic, I think Blaze's pyro tricks will manage just fine.

Why would Rouge even have all this junk anyway. Its not like she keeps a copy of every series power-up in her back pocket. She's not Batman.

This is the last I'll be debating this with you, as I can already sense a recurring theme that I don't feel like constantly having to deal with. And as I've said, I believe it's still a good battle between her, Amy, and Blaze, and I'm mainly putting forth arguments on Rouge's behalf due to a lot of people considering her the least impressive.

She still has no feats. Her biggest claim to fame is a few wins against Amy heads up. An untrained kid who quite frankly is at a disadvantage in a direct conflict with a trained spy.

Amy sacks armies in the Archie comics. Blaze has played the protagonist role in multiple games, fought the big bosses that come with it, and sacks Death Eggs in the comics. Blaze Trumps a full barrage from Omega and brings him to his knees - leaving him in awe of her pure power.

If we are talking about a tier list, head-to-head match ups are only part of the equation. Rouge lacks any of the higher order feats of most of the other heavy hitter girls at the top of the list have in spades. Until Rouge shows the capability to walk into an army of robots on her own and come out the other side, she deserves the third spot firmly behind both Blaze and Amy.  She's the least impressive because she has yet to do anything all too impressive.

While tracking Espio probably is feasible for characters other than Rouge (Mario and Sonic London even made a whole mini game out of it), what Archie said about it means nothing. Not least because his invisibility is due to his ninjutsu, not due to his species, and in general nothing there applies to the games. 

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

While tracking Espio probably is feasible for characters other than Rouge (Mario and Sonic London even made a whole mini game out of it), what Archie said about it means nothing. Not least because his invisibility is due to his ninjutsu, not due to his species, and in general nothing there applies to the games. 

Speaking of tracking Espio, there is someone who can sense his presence despite his use of ninpō:

sonic-channel-sonic-comic-act-012-espio-

And she did it without even trying. XP

In the games it also makes him intangible somehow, which, if used right, really could make him deadly since that kind of thing has the applications of people just reaching into a person's body and then becoming tangible to crush their vitals. Of course, he hasn't shown that yet, but it's a possibility and would help his title of "Ninja" and accommodate his stealth too.

The only other series with missed potential for a character that could likely utilize camo would be Mario with Bowser Jr's Shadow Mario form. It can shapeshift and already appears liquid and sort of translucent, so why not give him the ability to activate a camo given he governs a colorful magic supply of graffiti? He could act as intel by infiltrating the Castle with that kind of ability and it's just as acrobatic and agile as Mario for some great parkour getaways. So much potential wasted in a form that's only been in one mainline game.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 7:36 PM, Skull Leader said:

Raw strength: Amy, Rouge then Blaze.

Skill: Blaze, Rouge, then Amy.

Experience: Rouge, Blaze, then Amy.

What they excel at:

No. Amy is getting overrated on this board, raw power belongs to blaze or rouge sonce their strong enough to take hits from Sonic and Knuckles at serious performance. Amy on the other hand has never been a contender to Sonic or Knux in a situation with Amy's attacks where they never held back or got got sucker punched by accident when they fight.

Shadow displays this, a guy who in that Archie cannon was equal to Sonic and Knuckles in base physical performance and active fight experience. He took her out with one barely forced blow with her own hammer.

I don't even think she can take Tails if he's serious about wanting to beat her down. Tails matches rouge in equally physical prowess in Sonic X, he only lost because rouge sucker punch him with a kiss and took the opportunity to disorient his  young and innocent akwardness towards females.

Overall blaze has superhuman strength and speed and durability + innate energy manipulation over fire.

Rouge is the same, superhuman physicals and possibly a afinitty for chaos energy(SA2) plus expert solider and espionage training. 

These are the the only girls that can keep pace with the metahuman/gifted mutant based males that do the comicbook logic breaking stuff with their feats. These guys include Eggman, Shadow, Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Espio, Deadly Six, Metal/Mecha Sonic, even Chip.

Amy reaches the same level as the other side characters and is possibly the most powerful. She's probably Captain America level.

You know Total Shadow/Dash Speed. I think you're just triggered at the idea that a cute, pink girly hedgie can be a power house in her own right. I dunno, but it's almost as if this very thought made you unsecure about something that really gets under your skin.

Rouge's best power feat is going toe to toe with Bunnie. She loses in a head 2 head against Knux. 

Amy can go blow for blow with the Iron King. 

Yeah.... AMY is not overrated. She is a monster. 

10 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Rouge's best power feat is going toe to toe with Bunnie. She loses in a head 2 head against Knux. 

Amy can go blow for blow with the Iron King. 

Yeah.... AMY is not overrated. She is a monster. 

Personally I really like how silly and funny is the idea that a pink, cute, almost fragile looking hedgehogette has the strength of a silver back gorilla, since it deceives her enemies in a similar way to how Knuckles looks small and even has the same noodle limbs as Sonic, yet he packs punches that could easily be meassured in megatons.

I imagine this is something that Amy actually feels a bit ashamed of because such brute strength goes against her romanticized idea of acting lady-like, as well as scare Sonic, who we've seen in Sonic X being manhandled by the pink gerbil, trying to resist in vain to one of her bone-crushing bear hugs. XD

On 3/13/2019 at 5:07 PM, Dash Speed said:

No. Amy is getting overrated on this board, raw power belongs to blaze or rouge sonce their strong enough to take hits from Sonic and Knuckles at serious performance. Amy on the other hand has never been a contender to Sonic or Knux in a situation with Amy's attacks where they never held back or got got sucker punched by accident when they fight.

Shadow displays this, a guy who in that Archie cannon was equal to Sonic and Knuckles in base physical performance and active fight experience. He took her out with one barely forced blow with her own hammer.

I don't even think she can take Tails if he's serious about wanting to beat her down. Tails matches rouge in equally physical prowess in Sonic X, he only lost because rouge sucker punch him with a kiss and took the opportunity to disorient his  young and innocent akwardness towards females.

Overall blaze has superhuman strength and speed and durability + innate energy manipulation over fire.

Rouge is the same, superhuman physicals and possibly a afinitty for chaos energy(SA2) plus expert solider and espionage training. 

These are the the only girls that can keep pace with the metahuman/gifted mutant based males that do the comicbook logic breaking stuff with their feats. These guys include Eggman, Shadow, Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Espio, Deadly Six, Metal/Mecha Sonic, even Chip.

Amy reaches the same level as the other side characters and is possibly the most powerful. She's probably Captain America level.

There is a difference between physical strength and the more extensive power. Of which, Amy has generally been shown a good amount of the former, while Blaze is heavily based around the other.

So it's not unreasonable to rank her as being higher in the former category.

I will say that Amy's exact capabilities is pretty inconsistent and/or reliant on her hammer most of the time. And it is true that it hasn't really affected her gameplay too much from what I can remember.

3 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

I imagine this is something that Amy actually feels a bit ashamed of because such brute strength goes against her romanticized idea of acting lady-like, as well as scare Sonic, who we've seen in Sonic X being manhandled by the pink gerbil, trying to resist in vain to one of her bone-crushing bear hugs. XD

I would honestly disagree with this since Amy is supposedly a tomboy, and at the very least enjoys going on adventures with Sonic and the others so having abilities to keep her head above water is nothing to be ashamed about.

More on topic, a factor I haven't seen attributed to battle strength yet is on the psychological side. How well does one give their all when presented with a manipulator, a sentient flamethrower, or a little girl with a toy hammer? How about a feral jungle girl? A bossy kid? A renowned tactician? Or how about when these characters like Sonic start trying to get inside their opponents head, be it through seducing them (even robots for crying out loud), intimidating them, making them question the morality of their actions, their own free will, or just by pointing out and then exploiting their weaknesses? How do you feel that the psychological elements the characters bring to a fight affect the outcome? There is way more to a fight than just power levels and not addressing the nuances  makes this tiering read off unfavorably, so through the psychological aspect into the mix and tell me how that changes things (and no, I won't accept just snap their necks as an answer as the character said to do that is actually an extremely emotional character who just happens to be bad at expressing it/good at not showing it).

5 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I would honestly disagree with this since Amy is supposedly a tomboy, and at the very least enjoys going on adventures with Sonic and the others so having abilities to keep her head above water is nothing to be ashamed about.

Keyword here is "supposed".

Amy IMO is a character that preferes to behave more in a way she considers to be the more lady-like, though sometimes she breaks that image when characters make comments that questions that, like in Sonic X's tournament episode where she is to fight Bokkun and tries to assure theaudience that she's a cute girl who likes flowers, which Bokkun questions, ticking off Amy and sealing his fate with a hammer to the head. :P

The there are other examples like in Sonic Runners during the special event:

It starts around 19:00, but the point here is that even Amy is strong enough to save herself and scramble the Death-Eggs' circuits (Knuckles praises her feat and Sonic acknowledges she never needed to be rescued), yet the moment Amy sees Sonic, she starts to romanticize the situation, saying how she was scared and knew he'd come to rescue her like the prince who saves the princess in a fairy tale. I personally prefer this over Amy acting like the generic "strong waman that needs no stinkin man" and instead embraces femenine traits despite herself being a pretty strong character herself who can do things like knocking a powerhouse like Knuckles into a tree with a single hand push and without even trying. There is a silly and funny contrast between having this girly character be so strong and frakly I prefer that over making her a tomboy that rejects those girly things and behaviors.

2 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

Keyword here is "supposed".

Amy IMO is a character that preferes to behave more in a way she considers to be the more lady-like, though sometimes she breaks that image when characters make comments that questions that, like in Sonic X's tournament episode where she is to fight Bokkun and tries to assure theaudience that she's a cute girl who likes flowers, which Bokkun questions, ticking off Amy and sealing his fate with a hammer to the head. :P

The there are other examples like in Sonic Runners during the special event:

It starts around 19:00, but the point here is that even Amy is strong enough to save herself and scramble the Death-Eggs' circuits (Knuckles praises her feat and Sonic acknowledges she never needed to be rescued), yet the moment Amy sees Sonic, she starts to romanticize the situation, saying how she was scared and knew he'd come to rescue her like the prince who saves the princess in a fairy tale. I personally prefer this over Amy acting like the generic "strong waman that needs no stinkin man" and instead embraces femenine traits despite herself being a pretty strong character herself who can do things like knocking a powerhouse like Knuckles into a tree with a single hand push and without even trying. There is a silly and funny contrast between having this girly character be so strong and frakly I prefer that over making her a tomboy that rejects those girly things and behaviors.

Don't have time to watch the video right now, but one thing I like to point out about Amy being a tomboy is that she is also a girly-girl. Her being both is part of what her appeal is to me. She takes to disparate tropes that most people would never put together and embraces both of them. Harmonizing that dichotomy makes her special to me and like Sonic being a jerk with a heart of gold and tails being a nerd with superhuman athletic abilities also defies the tropes and expectations to certain degrees. Further, Amy being a tomboy does not mean she needs no man, just that she enjoys spending time with the guys and partaking in some of the same activities, which she does. Striping her of her either her girly-girlness or tomboyish traits are both disservices to her character in my opinion.

36 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

More on topic, a factor I haven't seen attributed to battle strength yet is on the psychological side. How well does one give their all when presented with a manipulator, a sentient flamethrower, or a little girl with a toy hammer? How about a feral jungle girl? A bossy kid? A renowned tactician? Or how about when these characters like Sonic start trying to get inside their opponents head, be it through seducing them (even robots for crying out loud), intimidating them, making them question the morality of their actions, their own free will, or just by pointing out and then exploiting their weaknesses? How do you feel that the psychological elements the characters bring to a fight affect the outcome? There is way more to a fight than just power levels and not addressing the nuances  makes this tiering read off unfavorably, so through the psychological aspect into the mix and tell me how that changes things (and no, I won't accept just snap their necks as an answer as the character said to do that is actually an extremely emotional character who just happens to be bad at expressing it/good at not showing it).

It's been a while since I've seen my own list, but I did try to keep that in mind, from what I recall.

15 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

ike in Sonic X's tournament episode where she is to fight Bokkun and tries to assure theaudience that she's a cute girl who likes flowers, which Bokkun questions, ticking off Amy and sealing his fate with a hammer to the head. :P

I thought it was because he started crying and she didn't want anyone to think she made him react that way?

25 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

I personally prefer this over Amy acting like the generic "strong waman that needs no stinkin man" and instead embraces femenine traits 

There is a silly and funny contrast between having this girly character be so strong and frakly I prefer that over making her a tomboy that rejects those girly things and behaviors.

What's ironic about that is how Boom Amy is arguably the girliest she's ever been.

Amy is cool, but the main games and main canon have yet to show her being on par with the heavy hitters in a serious manner. She's able to boss around Knuckles, but that's a common trope for females to abuse the brutes in Japan. The only way this has ever been done right where the girl clearly scales to the boy in some way is in Wendy/Roy's dynamic in the Mario RPGs, from off the top of my head, though even that scaling is questionable.

All forms of Amy combined? Well yeah, she'd be high on the list. The girl has more appearances to work with.

8 hours ago, Foxthefox1000 said:

Amy is cool, but the main games and main canon have yet to show her being on par with the heavy hitters in a serious manner. She's able to boss around Knuckles, but that's a common trope for females to abuse the brutes in Japan. The only way this has ever been done right where the girl clearly scales to the boy in some way is in Wendy/Roy's dynamic in the Mario RPGs, from off the top of my head, though even that scaling is questionable.

All forms of Amy combined? Well yeah, she'd be high on the list. The girl has more appearances to work with.

I think this has more to do with Amy being a character that would rather solve conflicts in a way that benefits everyone rather than her not being strong enough.

Amy has a big ass hammer, knows how to use it and could cause a lot of damage with it,,, but then, what exactly would make her any different from someone like Knuckles, or how could she contribute to the stories in a way that is meaningful and unique to her as a female character if all she ever did was just being strong (which almost every main character in the franchise already is)? 

Amy is a very tough cookie because it is what an action franchise demands for her. However, what makes her a key member of the cast is not that she can flatten baduys like pancakes with her Piko hammer, but rather than she can befriend them, win them over and help them give themselves a chance to be good. This can be more powerful than raw physical strength at times, like in SA2 as I don't think that Sonic could ever had convinced Shadow to have a change of heart.

However, when Amy does get the chance to show her strength, boy does she not hold back her hammer swings.

Oh yeah, much like Peach's role in Mario games where she's not just a possession of Bowser's.

Cream is in a similar manner, as she's really passive and wants to avoid conflict, but when you consider her feats and abilities for being such a little kid? She's kind of a badass, being one of the few to keep up with a Boosting Sonic as well as being physically strong enough to lift and chuck Big the Cat and all.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 years later...

Bump, based on idw feats who do think is stronger now? I personly think Blaze and Rouge are on another level compared to the non god like females of the sonic cast. They can keep up and fight on par with the guys and have abilites respective to sonic/shadow and knuckles. Amy is inconsistent, and needs to be rescued still.

I actually found Blaze's depiction in Archie to be over exaggerated. It's partially based on her boss fight from Rush, yes, but she basically just became about as broken as Shadow likely thanks in part to her popularity, which ended up clashing with how she was still largely using her more fallible Rush characterization and led to disagreements about whether she should have any trouble with the conflicts she's in.

IDW notably scaled her back to reincorporate the dance battler aspects of her character and her brokenness instead came more naturally from bringing all seven Sol Emeralds along for the one other fight she was in thus far. And while she was actually have an interesting contribution to the Zombie situation that made some degree of sense, they realized it would've been way to dark and so had her bow out early.

On 3/16/2019 at 10:00 PM, Skull Leader said:

Personally I really like how silly and funny is the idea that a pink, cute, almost fragile looking hedgehogette has the strength of a silver back gorilla, since it deceives her enemies in a similar way to how Knuckles looks small and even has the same noodle limbs as Sonic, yet he packs punches that could easily be meassured in megatons.

I have to say I love when the comedic characters sometimes prove to be the most effective characters when on their A game (especially female ones due to the common shortage of clownish girl characters in fiction over making them constantly more outwardly competent and level headed than the boys).

I will admit however, I wasn't 100% on that era they kinda flanderized Amy's psycho temper so that it could kinda dominate ANY scenario and even some truly formidable characters would just end up her cowering butt monkey. X and early Flynn era Archie suffered from this, though later Archie dumbed it down (eg. more instances opponents didn't do the 'scared of angry little girl' gag in serious face offs, and just beat her on equal footing, which if anything generally just led to more actual FIGHTS for Amy instead of just gag beatdowns).

I admit something that always seems to get overlooked by media is that Amy is SMART with her hammer. Like some takes make her a powerhouse with it, and newer ones seem to make her more a stock strategic character, but in the games, Amy tended to come off as resourceful with her gag weapon. That always felt like the cool appeal of it, much in the same way Big's fishing rod was equipped into something cool just by how the supposedly dumb cat utilised it. Team Rose is actually pretty underrated in this regard, taking something that LOOKS like a joke weapon and then using it to genuine and devastating effect.

• Thumbs Up 1