Awoo.

Classic Forces Enemy Ai Vs Generations Classic Enemy Ai.

Badnik Mechanic

That's also bad. Fortunately it only ever happened in that one level pictured (not counting the 3DS version). But those Spider badniks also had the dubious of honour of requiring both a homing attack and a kick to dispatch, one after the other and you couldn't tell which until you'd already been through the trial and error of it. They sucked.

@Dr. Detective Mike I get what you're saying about the satisfaction of ploughing through enemies, but it had absolutely no effect on me at best. And at worst, it makes me roll my eyes and yawn. I'm not doing anything and the game showing my all these flashy effects. It's a staple of the gameplay to do nothing and get rewarded for it. That's pants! I like building up to that climax, otherwise where is the variety, accomplishment and thrill? I just think that if Sonic Team wanted to make Sonic fast, thrilling, exciting and provide the player with a real sense of power, they could do it much better. 

• Thumbs Up 3

42 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Gotta make it easier for all the kids playing, man.

Easy ≠ rubbish 

7 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

@Soniman I assume you're talking about some enemies only being weak to the kick and would damage you if you hit them with a spindash or homing attack? And visa-versa in some cases? Yeah. That seriously undermined the otherwise good enemies in the game. You just had absolutely no way of knowing what was going to happen. 

That and how they utterly kill the pace of whats otherswise my favorite level int he game by locking you into forced combat sections where you just repet the same thing over and over again to progress. That kinda thing should be reserved for a secret area in the game not something along the main path

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

@Dr. Detective Mike I get what you're saying about the satisfaction of ploughing through enemies, but it had absolutely no effect on me at best. And at worst, it makes me roll my eyes and yawn. I'm not doing anything and the game showing my all these flashy effects. It's a staple of the gameplay to do nothing and get rewarded for it. That's pants! I like building up to that climax, otherwise where is the variety, accomplishment and thrill? I just think that if Sonic Team wanted to make Sonic fast, thrilling, exciting and provide the player with a real sense of power, they could do it much better. 

16 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

See, to me, it feels less like I'm a super powerful cool guy plowing through enemies... and more like the game is seriously patronizing me and giving me some easy wins to make me feel better.

Taking out a bunch of enemies only feels like an accomplishment if those enemies pose even the remotest of threats, and dispatching them requires at least a little skill.

Aside from just pure aesthetics, this is what made the Badniks memorable and the current generic sentry bots (which are basically Egg Pawns with less personality) not.

Well, I'd definitely be lying if I said I'd ever really gotten that kind of feeling myself.

I'll say that although I've never felt anything as extreme as "I'm not doing anything",  I don't doubt that there's probably something they could do to give me a real sense of power that would flow from the action much better. It'd require Sonic to really slow the fuck down of course, which is something I think is overdue. 

Now I don't know what that something to replace it is.  I feel like you guys might have more a sense of how that'll work since I'm more of a lax observer when it comes to gameplay design. Someone like me who doesn't enjoy the Classic Sonic games and couldn't get behind what Lost World did at all might have a bit more self-discovery to do when it comes to what truly could be something that puts me on the level of what the rest of you would like to see. 

I am mostly in it for the thrill, excitement, and the experience. Challenging games are fine but I also love games that make me feel powerful, regardless of whether or not I've specifically earned the right to be. I've found plowing through things in Pirate Warriors 3 to be something that's a majorly satisfying stress reliever and makes for an extremely cathartic experience at the end of a long day. 

At the same time, I'm not opposed to challenge. I've found that most of the examples of challenges I've faced in games and reaped most of the benefits from are the ones I've imposed on myself though. Like forcing myself to get all A ranks in Shadow the Hedgehog and completing the hard mode. Or beating the Organization XIII Data Rematches in KH2. They weren't things I needed to do at all but I suppose the freedom to choose to do them made it more endearing.

Long story short, I'm not opposed to what you guys desire at all. However, I'm probably more casual about this stuff and as a result the requirements for what it takes for me to enjoy myself are on a significantly lower and much less strict level. That might also be why I tend to lose some focus on the fun when things are ramped up. My brain re-wires the events from being about the fun and more about the chore of completing the game in those instances. The specifics behind what I'd qualify those instances to be are a little up in the air. I can only recognize when I'm having fun and when I'm not and try to figure out why from there.