Awoo.

Will Sonic appear in Wreck-it Ralph 2 in 2018?

Blueknight V2.0

With Wreck-it Ralph 2 heading to theaters in November 2018, around a year before the Sonic The Hedgehog movie releases in 2019, what do you guys think? Will Sonic appear again as cameos or will he have a main role in the story? I mean their already trying to get Mario and Tron, so why not, might also be like an advertising strategy for both movies. Maybe Sega moved the release date of the Sonic 2019 movie, so that it doesn't interfere with Wreck-it Ralph 2 or they don't want Sonic in 2 movies in the same year. They also said they are exploring online and console gaming, which could include Sonic mostly because Sonic fits into both of those types of gaming. Now the first Wreck-it Ralph was pretty good, I watched it because I saw Sonic and Eggman on the advertising, so I thought they were main characters. Even though they were just cameos the film was still pretty good, so just hoping the sequal has more Sonic related material and actually having Sonic characters as some of the more mainer characters, not just cameos. Now having Sonic characters having a major part in the story is not very likely, would be pretty good idea, so that way we have 2 Sonic movies 2 years in a row, even though 1 isn't really about Sonic. Even better would be the inclusion of characters like Shadow, Silver, Blaze, Metal Sonic and some others to appear in the Wreck-it Ralph sequel as well as the Sonic 2019 movie. On another note Sega did include Wreck-it Ralph as a playable character in Sonic & All-stars racing Transformed, so the possibility is still there.

Funny, I was having this exact conversation with someone yesterday. I would like to think that he would appear as I've also heard that Mario will make a cameo this time around too. Maybe we could see a nod to the Mario & Sonic Olympic series.

5 minutes ago, Bedbug said:

Funny, I was having this exact conversation with someone yesterday. I would like to think that he would appear as I've also heard that Mario will make a cameo this time around too. Maybe we could see a nod to the Mario & Sonic Olympic series.

I didn't think about that, could make a good reference, Disney did say they had good relationship with Nintendo. Even the first movie had numerous refernces to the Sonic series, one of which is Sonic pose in the posters for Wreck-it Ralph, which is the same pose for Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 video game which came under heavy criticism and is now the most infamous Sonic game. Here some links to the Wreck-it Ralph Wikia that names the references to the series.  http://wreckitralph.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog  http://wreckitralph.wikia.com/wiki/Dr._Eggman

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

I didn't think about that, could make a good reference, Disney did say they had good relationship with Nintendo.

Apparently so, time will tell i guess. 

As you've mentioned the Sonic Movie , do you think the current voice actors i.e Roger Craig Smith , Mike Pollock etc... will be reprising their roles or do you think Sony will want full on Hollywood type casting?

2 minutes ago, Bedbug said:

Apparently so, time will tell i guess. 

As you've mentioned the Sonic Movie , do you think the current voice actors i.e Roger Craig Smith , Mike Pollock etc... will be reprising their roles or do you think Sony will want full on Hollywood type casting?

I do hope they keep the current voice cast for the film, mostly because it took me a while to get used to their new voices after colors was released. Sure, with the Sonic 2019 movie have a couple of bigger names in there for new characters, like say for example if Infinite was in the movie, okay he's a new character in Forces changing his voice wouldn't really affect the character because he's only in 1 game and that's Sonic Forces. Now the only things they have to do now is to Not include humans or Eggman portrayed as he was in 2006 and to Not to have the darker themes and elements of Shadow's game. So yeah the current voice acting is overall pretty good, with nearly 2 seasons of Sonic Boom has really improved the voice cast by 20x since Sonic Colors or Lost World, so including the current cast with some bigger names would be the best move, a voice cast strategy similar to Ratchet & Clank's movie.

I agree , the current cast has gelled very well together and in my opinion is the best cast the series has ever had. From what we've been already told is that its going to be a CGI/animation hybrid , so with that in mind its likely that Eggman will be portrayed by an actual actor which i guess would give him that '06 flavour. If they did go this route i would hope that the good Doctor should and would be the ONLY human in it. Sonic on the other hand should be voiced by no-one other than Roger Craig Smith as he's filled those sneakers fantastically well over the last 7-8 years. I know some will disagree as fans still love the days of Ryan and Jason respectively.

But alas its going to be down to the head honcho's at Sony who will decide the fate of the cast and I imagine that if they could get a big name attached to the film them I'm guessing they will take that by the horns.......maybe. So far they've not skimped on the director which i believe is the same guy that did the Deadpool movie.

7 hours ago, Bedbug said:

I agree , the current cast has gelled very well together and in my opinion is the best cast the series has ever had. From what we've been already told is that its going to be a CGI/animation hybrid , so with that in mind its likely that Eggman will be portrayed by an actual actor which i guess would give him that '06 flavour. If they did go this route i would hope that the good Doctor should and would be the ONLY human in it. Sonic on the other hand should be voiced by no-one other than Roger Craig Smith as he's filled those sneakers fantastically well over the last 7-8 years. I know some will disagree as fans still love the days of Ryan and Jason respectively.

But alas its going to be down to the head honcho's at Sony who will decide the fate of the cast and I imagine that if they could get a big name attached to the film them I'm guessing they will take that by the horns.......maybe. So far they've not skimped on the director which i believe is the same guy that did the Deadpool movie.

The Sonic The Hedgehog 2019 movie's film rights are now owned by Paramount Pictures with animation still from Sega's Marza Animation Planet. Paramount Pictures is responsible for the Spongebob movies, Transformers, the newer TMNT films, the latest TinTin and Iron Man, Avengers as well as the other MCU films. The same team is working on it as before with Sony.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

The Sonic The Hedgehog 2019 movie's film rights are now owned by Paramount Pictures with animation still from Sega's Marza Animation Planet. Paramount Pictures is responsible for the Spongebob movies, Transformers, the newer TMNT films, the latest TinTin and Iron Man, Avengers as well as the other MCU films. The same team is working on it as before with Sony.

Yeah , just read this http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/sonic-the-hedgehog/52311/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-in-the-works-at-paramount

Great news that it's moving along , I wonder why Sony gave up the rights though?

But doesn't this movie focus more on internet culture and less on video game culture? From what I remember, the subtitle for this was "Ralph Breaks the Internet" or something like that, so I dunno if I'd expect any videogame character to be there tbh.

• Nice Smile 1

Didn't the producers/director say that Mario has sort of a role in it or am I misremembering? 

Isn't Sonic taking a somewhat good chunck of Internet space just for people "discussing over" stuff about and around him? :D

Because of this I'd say at least a cameo would be justified... 

More seriously though, I dunno. It really depends on what they want this film to be about? Would Sonic be of any use for the film whatsoever while keeping in mind they'd need to negotiate with Sega having Sonic in the film or something. I dunno really, I suppose it isn't really cheap to use Sonic in a film so they're prolly considering the necessity of the appearance as carefully as possible, I suppose that's the case with every appearance.

I just hope this isn't going to be an unofficial sequel to that Emoji Movie if it really takes place in the Internet...

• Nice Smile 1

13 hours ago, Bobnik said:

But doesn't this movie focus more on internet culture and less on video game culture?

Sanic and Emmerowds (&Knuckles) cameo confirmed?

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

• 4 months later...

The new Wreck it Ralph 2 teaser trailer has arrived, so far no signs of Sonic returning. Now Sonic could appear in the beginning before Ralph travels to the internet, or Sonic could appear in the internet because of his big presence there. Maybe we'll even get a Crash Bandicoot or Spyro the Dragon cameo or even Shadow the Hedgehog.

I also noticed that this picture from the first Wreck-It Ralph, of Sonic losing his rings after being hit. Sonic loses 7 rings, which could be a reference to the Sonic and the Secret Rings song ``Seven Rings in Hand". It's funny that the Wreck it Ralph or the Sonic Wikia didn't notice or list this little possible reference.

latest?cb=20130619191808

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Probably.

You know who else might show up?

DODHg9mWsAYif3g.png

Mario, Skylanders, Plants vs. Zombies or even Angry Birds could have cameos or references. As for Sonic references, we could see Sonic, Eggman, possibly Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Super Sonic, Metal Sonic and Shadow, any of those but Not sanic, just no. All because it's a movie about the internet I hope that doesn't happen, but if it does we could see Sonic critisizing the sanic meme.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ralph is going to find a lot of Sonic internet memes if Sonic cameos in this movie.

Considering meme culture is bound to be represented in some shape or form in this movie, I'd actually wager that Sanic is more likely to grab some representation than Sonic.

Either that or Sonic reprising his role as a PSA Announcer warning against the hazards of posting too many meme's. That would be cute, and a nice tongue in cheek jab at Sega's social media prowess.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

28 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Either that or Sonic reprising his role as a PSA Announcer warning against the hazards of posting too many meme's. That would be cute, and a nice tongue in cheek jab at Sega's social media prowess.

"Remember memes can be funny, but if you rely too much on them they can get annoying. Real fast."

Seeing the Sonic Twitter show up in this movie would be hilarious and you know it. We could see game company Twitters having a back and forth as a short gag or background gag playing out over time. I already played with that in this fanart, if anyone wouldn't mind seeing how that could go. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably not. Considering how Wreck It Ralph 2 comes out only a year before the Sonic movie is scheduled to come out, and Sega already has a contract with Paramount, I doubt Paramount will allow Sega to license out their characters to a competing studio when the Sonic movie is in active development.

Keep in mind that when the original Wreck It Ralph was released over 5 years ago, the Sonic movie wasn't even in development yet. 

I also just found out on Wikipedia for the first Wreck it Ralph film, had the current voice of Crash Bandicoot, Jess Harnell, voice one of the more minor characters. So a Crash Bandicoot cameo/appearance could be possible, since they already had Crash's voice actor in the first film. Also according to Wikipedia, that Skrillex made a cameo, who made the Bangarang trailer theme for Sonic Boom, coincidentally Sonic appeared in the same film. This was 2 years before Sonic Boom first aired on CN, less than that because the trailer using the theme was released 4-5 months before the series premiere, now whether or not this was an intentional hint I don't know.

Well, this COULD be nothing, but Roger DID retweet the trailer when Disney dropped it and seems puh-rity excited about the film coming out! It's also funny how no other voice actor for the film has retweeted the trailer to my knowledge, not even Sarah Silverman ( Vanellope ) herself, sooooo... take of that what ya will!

Also, little footnote: There is also a character in the movie  named Yesss, who acts as an internet tour guide for Ralph and Vanellope.... Roger may voice a character in correlation with her. Just somethin' to think about!

• Thumbs Up 4

Here is  an old interview from 2013, with Rich Moore and head of Sonic Team, Takashi Izuka.
In it, Moore mentions he was disappointed that Sonic had such little screentime in the first film. Could this mean Sonic will have a bigger role in the sequel?

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/03/wreck-it-ralph-director-rich-moore-on-sonic/

But I was happy that Sonic had one of the biggest cameos in the first movie. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Lets hope he has a bigger role if he's in it.

One thing I cant stop considering is this: In 2012 Sonic appeared as a cameo in the first Wreck It Ralph and that year also saw the release of SART which had Ralph appear as a racer. Now we have massive rumors of the another Sonic racer in the works in the same year as another Wreck It Ralph movie. Coincidence? I think not ;)

• Thumbs Up 3