Awoo.

Sonic Forces New Famitsu interview

MudHunter

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/10/05/sonic-forces-wispon-storyline-music-detailed-famitsu-interview/

Highlights:

-Nakamura: We want everyone to play while asking “Why!?” questions such as “Why does Shadow become an enemy?” and “Why does Chaos exist?” You will get to know the answers as you progress through the game.

-Famitsu: What kind of existence does Infinite, the boss that is strong to an extent, have?

Iizuka: Although he is evil, he is not created from an abrupt incident like Chaos, but he is instead an animal character just like Sonic & the others. If you play the free DLC of Shadow’s story, you’ll get to understand why he obtains a powerful strength and becomes evil.

-Iizuka: We injected all the passion that we had on Sonic Adventure, but our feelings this time [in Sonic Forces] are close to that. This game’s contents will be like a compilation so that people who have been waiting for a proper [new iteration in] modern Sonic series for a long time will be satisfied, so please look forward to it. Those who have played Sonic Mania, which was released in August, will grin when looking at some of the scenes here, so we’ll be glad if you play [Sonic Mania] before [Sonic Forces’] release.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, MudHunter said:

-Nakamura: We want everyone to play while asking “Why!?” questions such as “Why does Shadow become an enemy?” and “Why does Chaos exist?” You will get to know the answers as you progress through the game.

He went back inside the Master Emerald at the end of Adventure and can leave whenever he wants. (Like in Sonic Battle) Simple as that.

3 minutes ago, MudHunter said:

-Iizuka: We injected all the passion that we had on Sonic Adventure, but our feelings this time [in Sonic Forces] are close to that. This game’s contents will be like a compilation so that people who have been waiting for a proper [new iteration in] modern Sonic series for a long time will be satisfied, so please look forward to it. Those who have played Sonic Mania, which was released in August, will grin when looking at some of the scenes here, so we’ll be glad if you play [Sonic Mania] before [Sonic Forces’] release.

I'd be a lot more satisfied if it didn't have so much Classic pandering.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, so if you press boost it will switch to Sonic, if you press the Wispon button it will switch to Avatar. Interesting. And they said each villain has his own objectives, kinda destroys the illusion theory, perhaps?

18 minutes ago, MudHunter said:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/10/05/sonic-forces-wispon-storyline-music-detailed-famitsu-interview/

Highlights:

-Nakamura: We want everyone to play while asking “Why!?”

Don't worry, I'm sure they will.

=P

22 minutes ago, MudHunter said:

Despite everything, it's nice to know they're passionate about the game. I hope that shows in quality, even if doesn't seem that way so far. And if the game does end up getting panned, I hope they don't lose it.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 2

14 minutes ago, Soniman said:

This is funny without context lmao

It truly is.

Sonic Forces delivers the best memes in the franchise.

• Chuckle 1

17 minutes ago, Soniman said:

This is funny without context lmao

Those who are not playing it are asking it too.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 3

Hey at least Sonic Team was able to accomplish their goal. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2

Forces is the pinnacle of their passion, huh?

On one hand, that almost makes me want to buy the game out of respect for that passion. If they're legitimately trying to make the best game they can, that's worth supporting out of principle alone

On the other hand... I was under the impression that most of this game was either corporate meddling and decisions, or more poor decision making overall ala the era that birthed the werewolf. If this is the best they can make... Well... Uh... Hmm...

• Thumbs Up 4

How exciting! You can tell a lot of hard work was put into this game, and I can’t wait to see how things are gonna turn out!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

Nakamura: Recently Sonic has been made as action games, so we used to portray the story with the minimum required limit. However, this time we are also putting power on the scenario. The heroes like Sonic, as well as the antagonists in Eggman’s army, have each their own objectives, and that will form the flow of the story. The growth of the civilian Avatar will also link to the story, so it should be easy for players to empathize.

Wait, wait, wait... so you're telling that they're actually aware of the fact that the heroes and villains didn't have their own individual objectives when creating the more recent stories and they're purposefully attempting to inject some motivation behind their actions to drive the story forward again? 

Dear lord. I'm not used to them saying shit that I've wanted to hear them say. I may faint.

If they really did put as much "passion" into it as they say they do (take whatever is said in an interview with a grain of salt, even that comment about the story) then I'll end up feeling sad rather than angry if it turns out to just be a blander Generations on a gameplay front. Not really for me, but for everyone else.

• Thumbs Up 4

35 minutes ago, MudHunter said:

Izuka you compared the passion of Forces to Adventure 1. That means Forces should be a damn near masterpiece 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

4 minutes ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

Izuka you compared the passion of Forces to Adventure 1. That means Forces should be a damn near masterpiece 

This suggests that Adventure was a masterpiece? Which it wasn't, as much as I enjoyed it.

Anyway, from the look of the game, I can only buy that they're talking about the story. Passion isn't what comes to mind when I look at the art direction or the gameplay...

• Thumbs Up 5

If they are just talking about the story then... well that helps me out.

I'd rather they had done me a solid without making the rest of you upset though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

36 minutes ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

Forces may well have glimmers of something good buried within it, but much like the original Sonic Adventure, it also looks like its going to end up a somewhat incoherent mess of ideas, of which only a few are worth a damn.

Oh, and while it may well be better put together on a technical level, it compensates for it through heavy automation to paper over cracks in the game engine.

So no. It won't be a masterpiece. But then neither was SA1.

While the gameplay certainly isn't blowing me away, the fact that Nakamura seems passionate about giving us a meaty story akin to Sonic Adventure fills me with glee. Personally, I'm excited.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Hmm, this is looking really good! Like a perfected Sonic 06, or what it was meant to be.

• Nice Smile 4

3 hours ago, MudHunter said:

-Famitsu: What kind of existence does Infinite, the boss that is strong to an extent, have?

Iizuka: Although he is evil, he is not created from an abrupt incident like Chaos, but he is instead an animal character just like Sonic & the others. If you play the free DLC of Shadow’s story, you’ll get to understand why he obtains a powerful strength and becomes evil.

I'm glad to hear this because I really wish people would stop jumping the gun just because he's in a tube of Eggman's with him saying "work into this instrument of destruction/my ultimate weapon is complete" when that can just be seen as instead Infinite can just be a envoy of his hatred that he put his effort and sweat into perfecting with the modifications he saw fit. 

This supports the theory even more that Infinite can just be any unlucky animal character that came into contact with the Phantom Ruby and was a friend of the avatar's before being Eggman's ultimate warrior of destruction in finally reaching his goals.

3 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

He went back inside the Master Emerald at the end of Adventure and can leave whenever he wants. (Like in Sonic Battle) Simple as that.

Pretty much. From what I can recollect I think he showed up in Sonic Battle because of when there's a time of crisis approaching. Kinda like Absol lol

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Pawn said:

This suggests that Adventure was a masterpiece? Which it wasn't, as much as I enjoyed it.

Anyway, from the look of the game, I can only buy that they're talking about the story. Passion isn't what comes to mind when I look at the art direction or the gameplay...

Yeah, that's a bold fucking claim. Flawed as it was, Sonic Adventure's passion is something incredibly self evident. The game oozes it. I have yet to see anything from Forces that substantiates that claim.

I find it so interesting to see Iizuka tell fans to be invested in characters motivations and ask "why". Since everytime I see him in an interview or Q&A with overzealous fans asking him about all the little plotholes and Characters details they're curious about, he comes across like a deer in the headlights. You sure you want to encourage us crazy fans to put in lots of thought into these characters and ask "Why?". Because you'll be dealing with fans with a phonebook worth of questions and plotholes they want you to explain next time you're doing a public talk. Good luck.

I find this quote amusing:
"Recently Sonic has been made as action games, so we used to portray the story with the minimum required limit."
So games before Sonic Colors weren't "Action games"  huh?
Fascinating.

I think the comment about their passion Sonic Adventure is just a meaningless gesture to calm the SA3 crowd.
That statement would imply they didn't have any passion for Heroes/ Unleashed/ Generations/ Anything since Sonic Adventure?
Wow, that's a lot of excellent Sonic games you're throwing under the bus here.
I mean, sure, it's possible they' ve been soulless zombies following company orders ever since that game, but I find it hard to believe Iizuka would so casually admit that.

That said, the first Sonic Adventure did have a weird special atmosphere around it, like it wasn't made as a mere game but as this giant playground for programmers to freely explore the new possibilities of the Dreamcast and make it an event beyond a mere platformer. So in a sense I can see how the first Adventure game had a diffrent kind of passion to it then the other games. A passion responsible for making the first Adventure extremely unstable and feeling like it's hold together by scotchstape, but oozing with style, joy and charm to make it work in it's own special way. But like what others said, I 'm not sensing anyhing like that from Forces.
I doubt Forces will be getting crazy competition/ Christmas DLC event packs or anything of the sort.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

I think the story will the best thing about Sonic Forces, but that's not saying much, considering everything else about the game is meh.