Awoo.

Sonic Forces New Famitsu interview

MudHunter

So, they’re taking pride in the stories and characters again? Well, that’s all I needed to hear, I’m glad I preordered.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Kellan said:

So, they’re taking pride in the stories and characters again? Well, that’s all I needed to hear, I’m glad I preordered.

For me, simply "taking pride in stories and characters" doesn't mean much if the story and characters aren't written well. Forces could surprise me, but I'm really skeptical even when they're saying they're putting effort in, cause I mean, it's Sonic team, and they've used that line or similar lines of confidence in the past only to lead to disappointment.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, KHCast said:

For me, simply "taking pride in stories and characters" doesn't mean much if the story and characters aren't written well. Forces could surprise me, but I'm really skeptical even when they're saying they're putting effort in, cause I mean, it's Sonic team, and they've used that line or similar lines of confidence in the past only to lead to disappointment.

Kinda this

Like there are a lot of things i'm seeing in this story already that looks less like they are taking pride and more like they are nostalgia mining. A lot of conflicting thematic elements. I hope, I hope to god i'm wrong. But sega has said boastful things before, and it was just disappointment

2 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

I find it so interesting to see Iizuka tell fans to be invested in characters motivations and ask "why". Since everytime I see him in an interview or Q&A with overzealous fans asking him about all the little plotholes and Characters details they're curious about, he comes across like a deer in the headlights. You sure you want to encourage us crazy fans to put in lots of thought into these characters and ask "Why?". Because you'll be dealing with fans with a phonebook worth of questions and plotholes they want you to explain next time you're doing a public talk. Good luck.

I find this quote amusing:
"Recently Sonic has been made as action games, so we used to portray the story with the minimum required limit."
So games before Sonic Colors weren't "Action games"  huh?
Fascinating.

I think the comment about their passion Sonic Adventure is just a meaningless gesture to calm the SA3 crowd.
That statement would imply they didn't have any passion for Heroes/ Unleashed/ Generations/ Anything since Sonic Adventure?
Wow, that's a lot of excellent Sonic games you're throwing under the bus here.
I mean, sure, it's possible they' ve been soulless zombies following company orders ever since that game, but I find it hard to believe Iizuka would so casually admit that.

That said, the first Sonic Adventure did have a weird special atmosphere around it, like it wasn't made as a mere game but as this giant playground for programmers to freely explore the new possibilities of the Dreamcast and make it an event beyond a mere platformer. So in a sense I can see how the first Adventure game had a diffrent kind of passion to it then the other games. A passion responsible for making the first Adventure extremely unstable and feeling like it's hold together by scotchstape, but oozing with style, joy and charm to make it work in it's own special way. But like what others said, I 'm not sensing anyhing like that from Forces.
I doubt Forces will be getting crazy competition/ Christmas DLC event packs or anything of the sort.

Passion is a very delicate word to use whenever you're describing a project you're working on.

It's often going to come off like you're chatting shit and puffing out the artsy-fartsy side of your dish to a consumer you might not think is intelligent enough to look into what's being served to them and go "Why does what you're serving me look so regurgitated? I didn't order this." 

I can actually buy it when it comes to Nakamura. He seems pretty on the level and he hasn't overtly contradicted anything I've heard him say so far. When it comes to Iizuka, it's just borderline impossible to feel it though. Yeah, he's done some good things. He's been a beneficial person to have around in some areas but when the guy can't even remain consistent within a few days or weeks of something he's said, it's not going to come off as though he's passionate about anything. This is even before we go into how all they've shown us are basically re-used assets and levels from a game we've played not even that long ago.

When he says that stuff about putting the same passion in this similar to what they did in Sonic Adventure right after a point in time where he decided to tell everyone that what the Adventure series was doing didn't make sense for the "direction" they were going it will either-

1. Make it look like he doesn't seem to know what the direction he's going even is as the thing he denounced is now being used as a positive spin on what he's currently trying to do for his Legacy Sonic New direction for Sonic for some reason.

2. Make it look like exactly what you said about the comment existing for the sake of appeasing Adventure fans and nothing more.

This isn't to comment about how he's doing his job. I know next to nothing about how his job works. I only suffer from the after-effects of it. 

However, what I am certain of is that he needs to be a lot more careful about the things he does decide to tell us.

There's been some talk about how, "Hey, things change. What he may have had in mind before might not necessarily be what he has in mind later. It's okay if he changes his mind on somethings". And it's true. He can say the werehog will definitely come back and change his mind later. He can say there are no plans to use Classic Sonic and change his mind later. He can say that Classic Sonic's from the past and then change his mind later (I guess...) but it's becoming increasingly clear that this is an issue that doesn't necessarily exist between forgivable long stretches of time anymore. It's become more and more frequent.

When he says stuff, people are supposed to have a clearer picture of what's going on. Everytime he says something, shit just gets more confusing. 

If you're not going to drop the confusion angle at least do some "My body is ready" type stuff. Get in front of a camera and hold some bananas in front of your face. We'll at least find you a bit more entertaining when you say it. 

So that's me. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows?

• Thumbs Up 2