Awoo.

Are You Going to Buy Sonic Forces?

Blue Blood

I think I've changed my mind. Latest gameplay didn't impress me much and showed me that the disappointing flat linear level design clearly isn't going to change later on. I'm going to get the regular digital version off the eShop instead, after I'm done with Mania.

• 1 month later...

So who here did and did not buy Forces? Did anyone change their mind on the matter? Just curious.

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

So who here did and did not buy Forces? Did anyone change their mind on the matter? Just curious.

Still bought it. And I still think it's amazing.

Bought it day one.

It had flaws and wasn’t outstanding but it wasn’t terrible either. It’s a decent game more or less.

I actually had a blast playing the whole thing and got addicted to it at one point when it came to grinding missions and such.

Needless to say, my opinion remains the same, it’s fun and worth my money.

I bought it. Preordered it for PC, as I don't have any of the other platforms yet.

And I realized too late that my laptop can barely run it. Pitiful framerate and input lag galore, even at the absolute lowest settings. I tolerated it until the third stage, and put it down. So until the extra RAM comes in, I've been deaperately trying to avoid spoilers like the plague.

I'll reserve full judgement until I can get the blasted game to work properly. Definitely looks and sounds gorgeous so far though.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

I still haven't bought it. I lost all interest in it months ago. My brother did buy it, though; we played through it on the day of purchase (I played the Classic stages, he did everything else), finished it the same day, got bored of it, and went straight over to playing South Park instead. Neither of us have picked up the game again since then.

12 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Maybe when it hits eBay for a cheaper price.

I'm still intent on buying it pre-owned, personally. The price isn't an obstacle, because it's actually very cheap and below what I'm willing to pay for a new game. My issue is just a little bit more personal, I guess. I can't fight other people over what they think of the game, but I just don't want to give my money to SEGA. My one lack of a purchase isn't going to make a difference, I get that. My opinion is just that I don't want to be part what I perceive to be "the problem".

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

Nope.

Maybe if it goes into a Black Friday mega deal, but right now there is no way I'm paying the full RRP for this title.

10 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I'm still intent on buying it pre-owned, personally. The price isn't an obstacle, because it's actually very cheap and below what I'm willing to pay for a new game. My issue is just a little bit more personal, I guess. I can't fight other people over what they think of the game, but I just don't want to give my money to SEGA. My one lack of a purchase isn't going to make a difference, I get that. My opinion is just that I don't want to be part what I perceive to be "the problem".

I'm in a similar boat. If I see a used copy of the game for cheap, then I might pick it up. But outside of that, I just can't bring myself to buy it brand new.

• Thumbs Up 2

Got it as a PS4 birthday present. Game's been a blast with flaws. Might double dip on PC for easier recording and once more I  the Switch well after I've gotten a Nintendo Switch for portability. 

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

I bought it, and I don’t regret my purchase. It’s a really awesome game!

37 minutes ago, Zavok the SpinningSilver said:

I tolerated it until the third stage, and put it down

Is that because of how bad the game is or because the PC port always crashed at the 3rd level?

24 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Well that was my intent; to get it for a cheaper price without giving any cash to SEGA.

Got it Day 2 (Thanks Amazon, you suck at Preorders) and got a kick out of it. Yeah, not perfect but a fun romp for a while.

Still pre-owned, not regret. I can't deny that the game is flawed in many areas, but still had a lot of fun. Played it around equal length as Mania.

Is that because of how bad the game is or because the PC port always crashed at the 3rd level?
Neither. I actually didn't mind the levels themselves. They were rather bland, but nothing terrible.
It's just aggravating to play a bland level running at what feels like 10 FPS and watching real time cutscenes stutter constantly.

...wait, the PC ports crash at the 3rd level?! If that had happened to me, that would have been a rage quit right then and there!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

I'll echo previous sentiments about not wanting to give any support to Sega regarding Forces. Nothing in the final product reflects what I want to see in the franchise going forward. Not the soundtrack (none of the styles used for each character really click with me), not the style of presentation (I still can't believe how ugly the game's UI is), not the attempted narrative, not the largely lackluster level design, not the overuse of shallow cinematics to make up for how uninteresting the previously mentioned level design is, not the inclusion of boring nostalgia bait (please stop embarrassing yourself with classic Sonic's inclusion, Sonic Team), and definitely not the boost gameplay, which I feel Forces features the worst iteration of so far.

Even the OC, which could have been somewhat entertaining in its own right, utilizes clunky, barely-thought-out gameplay, and suffers from both general movement issues and the inclusion of trivial combat scenarios (I thought we moved past this after Heroes?). Also the enemy placement just comes across as incredibly lazy. From what I can tell, all amusement involved with the OC mechanic is limited to the character creation screen and watching your avatar act like a mime during cutscenes.

Earlier in this thread I stated that I was actually willing to give this game a try if I were to find it on a large discount, but after giving the game a closer look, I've honestly lost all interest in giving any proper attention to it whatsoever. Forces looks like nothing more than an uninspired, mediocre mess, and there are much better games out right now that I'd rather spend my time and money on.

Better luck next time, Sega. Maybe make another Puyo Puyo game, greenlight a Mania sequel, or bring more of your older, console-based library to pc if you want my money.

• Thumbs Up 4

No plans to get it. I was waiting for the reviews to confirm this game is not for me. I'm sorry for Sega, but this is not the direction I want Sonic to go to. Let's see what happens from now, in the hope that there's a "Mania" effect somehow.