Awoo.

Where does the initial sonic story come from?

Slimybug

Hey, so I've been meaning to look into the storyline of Sonic the Hedgehog, so I looked up the first game on it's own wikia. Here's the summary...

"On the lush, tropical paradise of South Island, Sonic the Hedgehog's animal friends begin disappearing one by one. When he discovers that the evil scientist, Dr. Ivo Robotnik, has been kidnapping them and converting them into robotic Badniks as part of a plot to collect all six of the fabled Chaos Emeralds, Sonic decides it's up to him to save them, and embarks on a quest to free his friends and thwart the evil schemes of Robotnik.

As Sonic races through the Zones of the island, he engages in numerous confrontations with the nefarious Robotnik and his deadly machines, and one by one frees the animals from their robotic shells and capsules placed at the end of almost every zone. In their final confrontation, the Doctor prepares his last dastardly contraption to end his adversary but proves no match for Sonic's awesome might, and his machine is totaled. Fleeing with his tail between his legs, Robotnik abandons his laboratory as it explodes, crumbling to scrap, with Sonic narrowly escaping. Following his escape, Sonic finally returns to the vast Green Hills where his journey began."

The thing is, I'm not sure where all this story material comes from. Because here is all it apparently says on the initial manual, which I looked up...

Dr. Ivo Robotnik, the mad scientist, is snatching innocent animals and turning them into evil robots! Only one tough dude can put an end to the demented scientist's fiendish scheme. It's Sonic, the real cool hedgehog with the spiked haircut and power sneakers that give him super speed.

Help Sonic fight hordes of metal maniacs and do the loop with the Super Sonic Spin Attack. Speed down twisting tunnels and swing over dangerous booby traps. Leap across lava pits and dodge burning rocks. Then splash through the chilling waters in an underground cavern. And if you're lucky, you can warp to the secret zone where you spin around in a floating maze! Your greatest challenge lurks in a secret lab where you come face to face with Dr. Robotnik himself!

Spin through space, loop 'til you're dizzy, save the animals and become the super hero. Be Sonic! Be atomic!

So where does all the other material come from? Is that shown in the game itself?

The one you looked up was the English manual. The Japanese manual is where the summary comes from. 

Here's the translation of the JP manual: 

The evil mad scientist Dr. Eggman is up to his old nasty tricks again. "Sonic…that annoying, impertinent hedgehog. Thanks to him, my great plans are always laid to waste! Oh, but this time, I'm going to rub him out with the power of science! Ha ha ha ha ha…"

South Island is a treasure trove of gems and ancient ruins. They say that it's the island where the mystical Chaos Emeralds lie. The Chaos Emeralds are a super-material that give energy to all living beings. Also, when applied to scientific purposes, they can be used for nuclear and laser based weaponry. However, nobody knows exactly how to get ahold of these emeralds. At the same time, though, they do say that the reason why South Island is always moving is because the emeralds are somewhere inside the island's hazy depths.

One day, crisis visited upon the island. And who showed up with it but Dr. Eggman and his cronies. "I'll find those emeralds even if I have to dig up the entire island to do it!"

Dr. Eggman set up a fort in one corner of the island, and went about carrying out his plan.

"Eggman, you still haven't had enough?" Sonic hurried as soon as he heard the news. Dr. Eggman never seemed to leave him alone, even though Sonic had beaten him every time so far. It sounded like Dr. Eggman considered Sonic his sworn enemy, but he was never any match for Sonic.

However, this time something is amiss.

"Have you seen it, Sonic? This time is going to be different! Because this time, I've turned all the animals on the island into robots!"

"E, Everybody!?"

"All of them go about in accordance to my orders. In other words, Sonic, everyone on the island is your enemy! Gya— Ha ha ha ha ha ha ^cough^ ^ack^ ^ahem^. This time, the world really will be all mine!"

This is terrible! Hurry! Sonic the Hedgehog - everyone is waiting for your help!

• Thumbs Up 2

There was also that text story that was considered reference where Sonic used to be brown and he fell asleep due do his hibernation then Ovi Kintobor found him, and...

Yeah, I'm probably making little sense. It was where the Fleetway Sonic comics got the backstory from, though. It's certainly not cannon anymore, but it was once.

23 hours ago, Chaotix Prime said:

There was also that text story that was considered reference where Sonic used to be brown and he fell asleep due do his hibernation then Ovi Kintobor found him, and...

Yeah, I'm probably making little sense. It was where the Fleetway Sonic comics got the backstory from, though. It's certainly not cannon anymore, but it was once.

I've never heard of that LOL, That should be used for the upcoming Sonic movie.

23 hours ago, Chaotix Prime said:

I'm probably making little sense. It was where the Fleetway Sonic comics got the backstory from, though. It's certainly not cannon anymore, but it was once.

Fleetway got theirs from the SOA mini comic that came with a bunch of Magazines during the 90's.