Awoo.

A Returning Zone Spotted in Sonic Forces

Psychicmoose103

19 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

I don't understand what would be the benefit of doing something like that. 

Honestly? It'd probably allow them to branch this story (and gameplay) off into something else rather than stick with it since post unleashed all the main games have sorta followed this loose continuity that they've had going for a while now and it'd be nice to move the series direction someplace else after this because, while it had its nice moments, overall its been kinda meh (personally speaking) and if that gives them an excuse to shift gears to a different gameplay style (that has focus, functions well, and is fun to play) then all the better.

23 hours ago, Spooky Mulder said:

I’m sort of hoping Sonic Forces represents the end of the existing Sonic continuity as we know it. The game looks more and more to have a “series finale” vibe to it. Almost every big bad from the franchise’s history is back from Metal Sonic to Chaos and Zavok. Eggman has taken over the world and even the Death Egg has returned.

Intentionally or not, it feels like an ending to something, especially with the collision of the Classic and Modern “dimensions.” Perhaps something new awaits us on the other side of this game.

Wouldn't it be amazing if at the end of Forces we see the world collapse Mario Galaxy style (due to the phantom ruby or some shit) and it goes all black and when it turns light again we basically see classic Sonic wake up in Utopia green hill zone and that was the new continuity

a man can dream can't he

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

49 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

Wouldn't it be amazing if at the end of Forces we see the world collapse Mario Galaxy style (due to the phantom ruby or some shit) and it goes all black and when it turns light again we basically see classic Sonic wake up in Utopia green hill zone and that was the new continuity

a man can dream can't he

Considering how fucked the lore of the series is (if Sonic Team still wants lore), some kind of reboot to that extent would help them to create a consistent lore.

Maybe, maybe not, I'unno.

It feels like people theorize that there's going to be a reboot every other game. Lore just isn't high on their list of priorities. 

4 minutes ago, Razule said:

It feels like people theorize that there's going to be a reboot every other game. Lore just isn't high on their list of priorities. 

Lore that's actually worth a damn is one of the reasons I want a reboot.

• Thumbs Up 9

Reset the lore, make Sonic great, give Sonic mystery, give Sonic intrigue.

The Sonic the Hedgehog universe deserves better, gosh darn it.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Giant Dad said:

Honestly? It'd probably allow them to branch this story (and gameplay) off into something else rather than stick with it since post unleashed all the main games have sorta followed this loose continuity that they've had going for a while now and it'd be nice to move the series direction someplace else after this because, while it had its nice moments, overall its been kinda meh (personally speaking) and if that gives them an excuse to shift gears to a different gameplay style (that has focus, functions well, and is fun to play) then all the better.

They don't have to reset the continuity to do any of that. 

No, they don't strictly "need" to. But if they can find a direction that works, it'll be a lot stronger if they can actually weave it into the series' main characters and elements from the "start", rather than layering it directly on top of 20+ years of mistakes and chaos.

• Thumbs Up 3

But even a reboot triggers its own sets of problems. You can hardly claim that starting fresh provides the opportunity to reintroduce things from the start, when general public can barley wrap their heads around the idea of Sonic Boom being its own thing. The perceptions of a bunch of Sonic characters are too far ingrained.

The burdens of the old canon and the expectations of what is widely known about each character will follow them into any lure reboot.

• Thumbs Up 2

Who honestly cares? What particular issue do you have with the continuity as it stands now? Yeah sure it's a mess. It has a million plot holes and inconstancies. You know what else does? Literally everything!

59db1a0e6bd7d_Screenshot2017-10-0823_40_28.thumb.png.1afc7ec0544d1f4fb3880cc24764683d.png

Wow, look at this shit. The entire premise of Citizen Kane is invalid because there was no one around to hear Charles Foster Kane say "Rosebud". What a shitty movie! It needs a reboot right now! Except it doesn't, because in the end plot holes and inconstancies really don't matter much to people. If you put out something entertaining, people will enjoy it. People enjoy the stories in the Metal Gear games despite the millions of retcons, fourth wall breaks that poke fun at the player, and straight up nonsensical shit because it's good. Why can't Sonic be the same? Why can't they create good out of the material that already exists? And don't tell me it can't be done, because it has been done before by the Archie comics. It is perfectly possible to do so, and wanting the series to reboot just because you don't like one particular thing or another reeks of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

• Fist Bump 1

You know, if you aren't using something comparable to Sonic...that doesn't really work.

Saying that everything has Plot traps and no consistency isn't an invalidating argument, if they're minor then people don't care. When they are just too blatant and distracting, people do care.

Sonic's problems run long and people want to care about its lore and story, otherwise they wouldn't be complaining. Sonic stories rarely ever are good enough for people to ignore them problems.

Reboots don't help a damn thing if they aren't willing to stick with it, and the Sonic franchises seems to be taking extreme U-turns constantly.
Not to mention a reboot is only helpful if they then actually focus on re-establishing the basics. Both Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric were desigend to be more or less reboots /fresh starts/ spin offs/ whatever, and neither bothered to properly re-establish anything and still threw in the audience headfirst into the action, focusing on their shiny new villains and sidekicks assuming we were already comfortable with Sonic, Eggman and the whole bunch. Heck, sometimes they even assumed we were already comfortable with the NEW characters, like Sticks never getting any kind of proper introduction in any of the Boom media.
I think these half assed reboots caused more confusion then the occasional plothole does. Plotholes suck, sure, but it's a writer making a mistake, can happen, I'll think around it.
But half assed unexplained reboots, that effects the status quo and the central premise cause way more damage.

It leads to 2 diffrent types of plotholes, the technical details that don't add up like the hole in the moon, blue chaos emerald or Eggman getting out of purgatory.
Messy plotholes, sure, but it doesn't effect the central soul and heart of the series, so whatever. Just assume Tails or Eggman had some magical techno device in their pocket that resolved it, or the chaos emeralds Chaos'ed it away or whatever.
But when I legitamatly have no idea what Amy's personality is, if Knuckles Emerald guardian job is still relevant. If Tails being an bitchy jerk is a one time character flaw that has to be resolved in the current story arc or if I now have to accept that as his normal behavior. If my favorite characters even still freaking exist or not. That's stuff that affects the heart and soul of the characters and directly how involved I am in caring about them. That's a way more severe plot issue.

If we'd get a Sonic RPG type game, or a Sonic Adventure game with a slower pace so they can re-introduce a proper foundation and show the characters in their natural behaviour again, instead of immediatly sending them off to another meaningless abstract bunch of levels in a magical space land again would do wonders.
Sonic Forces seems weirdly in the middle, so we'll see what that game does.

But I have little hope. Even if Forces fixes up a few things, no doubt the game after that will sent the series spiraling off track again.
At this point I might as well consider every game a reboot, and every character to be a diffrent flavor of Deadpool. And every reference to plot elements or history from previous games to be merely meta 4th wall references devoid of any real context or meaning. Member Fang? Member Green Hills Zone? Member Master Emerald? LOL!
That's what the series has become over the past few years, a static museum of references. Not a living breathing world.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Promotion 1

8 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Reboots don't help a damn thing if they aren't willing to stick with it, and the Sonic franchises seems to be taking extreme U-turns constantly.
Not to mention a reboot is only helpful if they then actually focus on re-establishing the basics. Both Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric were desigend to be more or less reboots /fresh starts/ spin offs/ whatever, and neither bothered to properly re-establish anything and still threw in the audience headfirst into the action, focusing on their shiny new villains and sidekicks assuming we were already comfortable with Sonic, Eggman and the whole bunch. Heck, sometimes they even assumed we were already comfortable with the NEW characters, like Sticks never getting any kind of proper introduction in any of the Boom media.
I think these half assed reboots caused more confusion then the occasional plothole does. Plotholes suck, sure, but it's a writer making a mistake, can happen, I'll think around it.
But half assed unexplained reboots, that effects the status quo and the central premise cause way more damage.

It leads to 2 diffrent types of plotholes, the technical details that don't add up like the hole in the moon, blue chaos emerald or Eggman getting out of purgatory.
Messy plotholes, sure, but it doesn't effect the central soul and heart of the series, so whatever. Just assume Tails or Eggman had some magical techno device in their pocket that resolved it, or the chaos emeralds Chaos'ed it away or whatever.
But when I legitamatly have no idea what Amy's personality is, if Knuckles Emerald guardian job is still relevant. If Tails being an bitchy jerk is a one time character flaw that has to be resolved in the current story arc or if I now have to accept that as his normal behavior. If my favorite characters even still freaking exist or not. That's stuff that affects the heart and soul of the characters and directly how involved I am in caring about them. That's a way more severe plot issue.

If we'd get a Sonic RPG type game, or a Sonic Adventure game with a slower pace so they can re-introduce a proper foundation and show the characters in their natural behaviour again, instead of immediatly sending them off to another meaningless abstract bunch of levels in a magical space land again would do wonders.
Sonic Forces seems weirdly in the middle, so we'll see what that game does.

But I have little hope. Even if Forces fixes up a few things, no doubt the game after that will sent the series spiraling off track again.
At this point I might as well consider every game a reboot, and every character to be a diffrent flavor of Deadpool. And every reference to plot elements or history from previous games to be merely meta 4th wall references devoid of any real context or meaning. Member Fang? Member Green Hills Zone? Member Master Emerald? LOL!
That's what the series has become over the past few years, a static museum of references. Not a living breathing world.

I agree that I hope these aren’t just empty references. Even if beyond a shadow of a doubt these have meaning, I am stil wary that the next game will just do meaningless references again because this game made it somehow okay.