Awoo.

What rumors/false info from past Sonic games do you remember?

Shiny Gems

When they were being developed?

I'll start off. For Sonic Unleashed, I remember a false leak that said the game was going take place in a world called Mubuz, which was ruled by an evil dragon lord called Immarius. The leak also said Sonic would fight an evil power that transformed its inhabitants into dangerous beasts, which would lead to Sonic morphing into Wolf Sonic, which we know as the Werehog. The false leak said Tails and Knuckles would be playable, which of course did not happen. This was when Sonic Unleashed was first leaked on the internet, by the way.

So, what rumors and false info do you remember from past Sonic games when those games were being developed and made? It can be from any site you can think of, if you remember it.

I remember seeing something about Unleashed that said Nack would be reintroduced as a bounty hunter out for the Werehog or something.

The rumor that even to this day is still regurgitated among the fanbase: Sonic 06 failed because (the fans/Sony/Microsoft) rushed SEGA...

Like, I honest to God don't know how such a ridiculous rumor is still being used, even to this day. Especially after we got detailed reasoning behind the producer of the game as to why it bombed.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Eerie-Ernest-Panda said:

I remember seeing something about Unleashed that said Nack would be reintroduced as a bounty hunter out for the Werehog or something.

That would have been a great idea to compensate for how bad of an idea the Werehog is.

Anyway, if you kept up with the Mania leaks, I remember someone said that there'd be a final level in Mania called "Egg Hill Zone". Way too bland to have been official.

So I never believed this for a second but... Long ago. Around 2005.

A random website put up a bunch of cryptic hints and a secret page on their site which showed Eggman and the words "Guess Who."

This lead many to believe a Sonic MMO was on the way.

Other fun things which I've never believed.

The guy who registered here claiming to be filming a new Sonic Movie. Very few believed him only what was funny was when someone found somebody using his username on a Fraggle Rock fansite posting the exact same thing about Fraggle Rock.

I wish that topic still existed because my God it was hilarious from start to finish even the part when the guy was still trying to convince us all he was legit.

And of course. How during 2006-2007 people were convinced a Knuckles game was being made.... Despite utterly nothing to support it.

• Thumbs Up 3

"Sonic Excursion" was another popular "leak" that was posted a long while back. Can't find the post (think it was part of one deleted topic about the subject), but @Alexander summed it up perfectly by referring to it as "Sonic Excrement." :v

Once upon a time, there were false rumors about Chaos Chao gardens being an unlockable thing in SA2. Not something I ever believed, thankfully, as the "requirements" to get them were as insane as the PokeGods rumors IIRC. There were also fake cheats and rumors alleging that Sonic and Tails were playable in Smash Bros Melee. 

Not so much a rumor, but in the years following Sonic 06, a lot of people really believed a Silver the Hedgehog game was gonna happen. Pretty silly. He was never as popular as Shadow and his debut game didn't help. 

Eggman transforming into a walrus at the end of Unleashed was one rumor/"leak" I definitely remember.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

i swear i remember reading somewhere that sonic CD and sonic advance could be unlocked in sonic mega collection plus by having 30 hours on an S3&K save file. 

SMC+ doesn't clock in play time. at all.

there was this website that listed a cheat code in unleashed PS2 that replaced the werehog with amy that i entered 25 times before realizing it was fake. i saw a sonic heroes cheat that said it let you play as super sonic if you entered this ridiculous code in a rival fight. i saw a rumor that sonic lost world would be called sonic lost hex by the time the game came out. i saw a cheat for sonic rush adventure that let you play as shadow. i think i saw someone claim that sally acorn was in sonic generations and there was an 'archie era.'

I unwittingly fell for the Amy Rose is Princess Sally in the Sonic CD manual since I only watched SATAM and never heard of the former before. 

Sonic Mach 2 I think it was called , this was one from about 2 years ago I think? from what I remember it was Orbot's German voice actor had posted this on his own website as project that he'd worked on. Can't remember if this was ever solved or if the rumour just fade away.

11 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Sonic Mach 2 I think it was called , this was one from about 2 years ago I think? from what I remember it was Orbot's German voice actor had posted this on his own website as project that he'd worked on. Can't remember if this was ever solved or if the rumour just fade away.

It was a codename for Boom Fire & Ice.

I remember that right around the time that Project Needlemouse was first teased in September 2009, a fan game by the same name popped up with an an almost Tim Burton esque reimagining of GHZ. It was a total coincidence and the fangame died shortly after, but it spurred a lot of speculation and confusion, even if not strictly a rumour.

• Thumbs Up 2

That the reason Mighty was scrapped from the series was because his original creator left SEGA and took the rights with him.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

9 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

It was a codename for Boom Fire & Ice.

I remember that right around the time that Project Needlemouse was first teased in September 2009, a fan game by the same name popped up with an an almost Tim Burton esque reimagining of GHZ. It was a total coincidence and the fangame died shortly after, but it spurred a lot of speculation and confusion, even if not strictly a rumour.

Wasn't Sonic Mach2 listed on the Rouge VA's page too?

OOH OOH! I got a great I remember.

All the rumors and fake leaks about any possible SEGA characters being in Sonic Boom during the speculation in 2014.

I even found the source!

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?505260-Oh-my-gah!-HUGE-SONIC-BOOM-LEAK!-(DEBUNKED)&s=ae01d88af28e61b7c51243ae91a69511

HAWAIIAN SHIRT SHADOW.

20 minutes ago, Creep Dude said:

OOH OOH! I got a great I remember.

All the rumors and fake leaks about any possible SEGA characters being in Sonic Boom during the speculation in 2014.

I even found the source!

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?505260-Oh-my-gah!-HUGE-SONIC-BOOM-LEAK!-(DEBUNKED)&s=ae01d88af28e61b7c51243ae91a69511

HAWAIIAN SHIRT SHADOW.

I don't care what anybody says. Hawaiian Shadow was brilliant. I was super disappointed when that character design was revealed to be a hoax.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Wasn't Sonic Mach2 listed on the Rouge VA's page too?

Nah, that was "Sonic II", which could be anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember the whole sonic reboot rumor back after either Colors or Generations. That was actually pretty big.

I also remember a small rumor about Sonic 06 possibly being a trilogy. Never knew if that was debunked or not. 

Sonic 4 Episode II would feature Classic Sonic and Classic Tails. This was seemingly “confirmed” because the first teaser for the game used the tails from the Classic Tails model in Generations.

9 hours ago, Spooky Mulder said:

Sonic 4 Episode II would feature Classic Sonic and Classic Tails. This was seemingly “confirmed” because the first teaser for the game used the tails from the Classic Tails model in Generations.

I remeremeber this , caused a bit of confusion.

BTW love your profile pic and name , X-files is awesome!

• Promotion 1