Awoo.

Sonic Forces Digital Comic (Moment of Truth, Stress Test, Looming Shadow, Rise of Infinite)

DiamondX

I enjoyed the comic, but the way Knuckles decides to become the leader of the resistance feels preeetty forced, and makes me feel like Ian put it in just to explain why Knuckles is the leader in the actual game.

I really don't like prequel comics for this kind of thing. It's like patchwork for an unfinished product and story, and almost admits that there is no given reason in-game, which makes me worried for how the actual game's story will turn out to be.

It's cool enough outside of that, though.

• Thumbs Up 8

13 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

I enjoyed the comic, but the way Knuckles decides to become the leader of the resistance feels preeetty forced, and makes me feel like Ian put it in just to explain why Knuckles is the leader in the actual game.

Same, it doesn't even make sense why Knuckles would suddenly start talking about resistances or anything. No reason at that point for him to think this is any bigger than their usual adventures, and that it would need an army. It's so random.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

I really don't like prequel comics for this kind of thing. It's like patchwork for an unfinished product and story, and almost admits that there is no given reason in-game, which makes me worried for how the actual game's story will turn out to be.

I think Knuckles just self proclaimed to be leader of a resistance right there, and I find that funny tbh

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed the comic, but you could tell that Ian was strapped for panels. There wasn't much breathing room, making it awkward when the lost city and Chaos showed up and Knuckles just processed all of that instantly. Or how he immediately deduced that the Master Emerald isn't a part of this fiasco. 

Is anyone else glad they actually remembered Knuckles has a responsibility in taking care of the Master Emerald? 

• Thumbs Up 8

Hot damn, now this looks great! Both characters are very well-written and on point (Knuckles isn't a total idiot) and Silver got a new layer of unintentional humor. The lore we know is there: Knuckles was guarding the ME, also he blindly assumed Chaos was good at first, and like holy shit, they remember the Echidnas' village?!

Oh and Eggman says he doesn't even need the Master Emerald, oh boy... Also, yes I knew the returning villains were illusions. Save for Metal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do I get the feeling it isn't that the Phantom Ruby makes illusions (or at least in this situation) but it can make distortions in the space-time continuum *looks at Sonic Rush* hence why we saw Pachacamac's village look as though it were an illusion.

latest?cb=20150208011519

@Jango I think you're making that judgment call too soon, keep in mind it was stated Shadow is fighting "for his owns reasons" and that Chaos return is supposed to be a mystery and even then he appeared in Battle (because he's suppose to appear in times of great crisis) the reason why Knuckles wasn't too fazed to see him it's more so a question why he's hostile again.

2 hours ago, Joellui said:

Is anyone else glad they actually remembered Knuckles has a responsibility in taking care of the Master Emerald? 

Apparently quite a lot of people are, and I guess it matters that much that almost everyone mentions it.

Knuckles should do all his battles from Angel Island.

1 hour ago, ShadowSJG said:

Is it illusions or reality warping?

is as I put in the thread of Forces theories and has been fulfilled, they are only shadows of the original Chaos, Zavok and Shadow. 

5 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Is it illusions or reality warping?

We do not know yet, but I honestly think it's more so the latter given what the Ruby did previously

Spoiler

in Mania in altering the Hard Boiled Heavies appearances and warping Sonic, Tails and Knuckles to different locations.

• Thumbs Up 5

10 hours ago, The Deleter said:

You bring up a good point actually. I thought the Resistance was formed because Dr Eggman captured Sonic and took over 99% of the world, but according to this comic it was formed before the world conquering shit happened. So yeah, Knuckles already coming up with a Resistance plan seems completely out of left field. Shouldn’t he discuss this with the others? I know Knuckles does whatever he wants but still. 

Oh, and you know what I hate about video games nowadays? When important story details that do not happen in the games is randomly brought up and you have to find out yourself by reading a comic or novel tie-in. This happened a lot in some of the Assassins Creed games (like that Russian guy in AC3) and Gears of War 3 introduces a bunch of characters you don’t give a shit about unless you’ve read the novels!

I don’t want the story in Sonic Forces to be affected by this. I want it to be a good standalone thing that doesn’t need prior reading. But then I realise that these comics, while good fun, do have important plot details hidden away, which likely won’t be explained in the main game. That’s...worrying. ><

• Thumbs Up 3

I think this is very likely a case of the comics being used to explain things which they didn't bother to come up with an explanation for in-game - rather than the explanations having always existed and being imported into the comics.  I do agree that it's a lame tactic to provide explanations to important mysteries or to wrap-up storylines and things like that in tie-in works, but I get the feeling this is purely supplementary and not something you need to enjoy the game.  (Or at least, not something Sonic Team thought we needed.)

Allow me to put down another expression of satisfaction for the way this comic acknowledged and respected the history of the characters.  Lore and continuity don't have to be almighty dead hands weighing down every interaction; they can be done with deft light touches.

• Thumbs Up 5

A little late to the party, but DAMN that was enjoyable! I liked the references they added, as well as Knux just self-appointing himself as the Resistance leader.

Spoiler

So it looks like Eggman gets the real Phantom Ruby at least a short while before Classic Sonic appears. Makes sense to me.

And I guess this more-or-less confirms that Chaos is an illusion in Forces. Probably the same with Zavok, maybe Shadow too. Dunno about Metal, though...

I hope the story in-game is at least this good, seeing as it's the only thing I'm truly invested in at this point regarding Forces.

I hate that Eggman just hand-waives the Master Emerald. I don't care how powerful the Ruby is, even if it really does outclass what was once the most powerful Mcguffin in the series, you still don't just leave it there. Pick it up and throw it in the vault! Did Unleashed teach you anything?!

Mini-Rant aside, it was very enjoyable. I like that it addressed why both Silver and Knux were roped into this crisis, as both have reasons to be elsewhere. It was well drawn and helps bring Sega-Knux back to the forefront. We've only had Boom Knux for a while now. Silver is adorable btw.

• Thumbs Up 3

it's easy. Silver appears, meaning the worst case scenario. Sonic gets taken out. There would be no one strong enough to oppose eggman so Knuckles now self appoints himself to that role. When he says 'resistance' he probably wasn't thinking of an army at first, probably more along the lines of gathering his friends to defeat eggman together.

yeah, maybe the writer slipped up a bit if I have to go to such lengths.

but can we talk about what might have happened if Silver didn't come? Chaos might have killed Knuckles. Would be interesting to know what Silver already knows about the whole thing.

3 hours ago, caseykz said:

Chaos might have killed Knuckles.

Thats highly unlikely. Yes Chaos was slapping them around pretty good in that comic, but lets not forget that younger, less experienced Knuckles has single-handily beaten stronger variants of Chaos, and at this stage of the game, Sonic can solo tank Perfect Chaos, so I imagine Knux has gotten stronger/better too. 

Even with a free hit via sucker-punch, it would be a hard sell to say "Knuckles got killed off by Chaos 0". Sonic would never let him live it down.

On October 12, 2017 at 9:07 PM, Cayenne said:

latest?cb=20150613020142&path-prefix=pt-

The white hair, the sword, the belts...I didn't expect a Final Fantasy homage in a sonic game.:rolleyes:

To be fair... FFXIV has you collect 7 colorful birds and when you collect all 7 you get a golden bird. No I'm not making this up. It feels like a flat out sonic meme in that mmo lol.

• Thumbs Up 2