Awoo.

Sonic Forces Digital Comic (Moment of Truth, Stress Test, Looming Shadow, Rise of Infinite)

DiamondX

11 minutes ago, Legendary Emerald said:

I can't believe no one has pointed out how these pages are blatantly unfinished. The pencils are fine, but the coloring job was half-assed. There are flat, digital brush strokes all over certain panels, and on the final page, they didn't even take out the freaking color palate swatches. Did they accidentally upload the unfinished versions of these pages, or did they really rush this out the door that quickly?

Considering that the pages they sent out to news sites are completely fine, it looks like they've either tweeted out early versions of the pages or they just screwed up the layer ordering on Photoshop and the random blobs that were supposed to go under the main art got chucked right to the top layer over it. Either way, it's definitely unfortunate and they should've double-checked what files they'd attached before tweeting the stuff out innit.

1 minute ago, Ayliffe said:

Considering that the pages they sent out to news sites are completely fine, it looks like they've either tweeted out early versions of the pages or they just screwed up the layer ordering on Photoshop and the random blobs that were supposed to go under the main art got chucked right to the top layer over it. Either way, it's definitely unfortunate and they should've double-checked what files they'd attached before tweeting the stuff out innit.

Oooh.. that's bad.

So that was a neat little comic. Nice art, decent coloring.

I was wrong about it not being a comic, but I was right about it not being an IDW ADAPTATION! HA!

I think calling the dialogue terrible is an overstatement. The "except I'm a failure" thing is just a kind-of unfunny gag. That's it. There's nothing wrong with any of the other dialogue in this comic.

There is however something wrong with the part where rookie hides in a corner crying to himself after getting overwhelmed by...nothing. That was stupid. At least let the internal monologue go while the guy's running somewhere or trying to look busy, Ian.

Other than that, good comic.

• Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, Legendary Emerald said:

I can't believe no one has pointed out how these pages are blatantly unfinished. The pencils are fine, but the coloring job was half-assed. There are flat, digital brush strokes all over certain panels, and on the final page, they didn't even take out the freaking color palate swatches. Did they accidentally upload the unfinished versions of these pages, or did they really rush this out the door that quickly?

awful small.png

Yeah that...Certainly looks like...colors and I'm not even going to pretend I see what you're talking about. It's Gabriel Cassata all over again. He's apparently awful but I honestly don't see why?

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah that...Certainly looks like...colors and I'm not even going to pretend I see what you're talking about. It's Gabriel Cassata all over again. He's apparently awful but I honestly don't see why?

It doesn't tell who did the colors but my beef with Gabriel and why I don't want him back is because of how washed out and bland his colors look.

65616c9ecd1f801e12ee647c2559a198--terry-

compared to the obvious bright and vivid Matt Herms.

latest?cb=20121028144703

or even Steve Downer's more "pastel" look.

StH_292_Cover.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, I liked the comic, it was cute.
And having severe self doubts myself I can concur you constantly repeating you're a failure is pretty much what goes trough your brain.
Altough I suppose it would have worked better if Ian wrote it more stylistically instead of as flat dialogue. Still, eh.
At this point i'm happy when characters act like characters and don't go yapping around like they're mystery science theater 2000 hosts commentating over their own lives.

3 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

How long has Sonic/Tails/Amy been heroes in this universe? Sonic is still only 15 right? I doubt Sonic has been a hero since he was a baby... Not sure how that would add up to this new guy's "whole life." Hohoo!

I tend to take their age as an abstraction, not litteraly.
Otherwise that would mean all their adventures they had so far had to take place in 2 years. With Poor Eggman knocking out Egg fleets and giant fortresses on a weekly basis.
It's cartoon logic, what can you do? Like Maggie Simpson having had about 30 Christmas parties while still being a toddler.
Maybe the planet mobius sun rotation just takes 50 earth years, so their year count is longer then ours or some fantasy logic. The chaos emeralds did it. Eggman hit them with an eternal youth beam. The time Eater sends Sonic and friends in an eternal Groundhog day loop repeating the same year over and over. Make up your own magical answer.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

Even though it's minor, I like that Amy is recognized by the OC. She's notnreally given credot for her deeds that often so it was nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm having trouble reading this comic. I can barely hear the Chaotix in my head because last time I heard them was in Heroes.

2 hours ago, Legendary Emerald said:

awful small.png

I can tell you 100% what that is—that's what the layer that goes over the lineart looks like when the clipping is turned off.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was thinking, what if the cat's low self-esteem has something to do with his backstory like the new part of Fist Bump says?

Maybe he ran away from a war or something and let something bad happen?

Spoiler

Maybe his friend was in trouble amd he couldn't help him? Hmmmm

*Avatar and Infinite Friendship intensifies*

Wow I just realized this was written by Ian Flynn. He's definitely not the second coming or anything but I kinda expect more of him than to write something this unremarkable. 

• Thumbs Up 4

It's neat that they're doing this I guess, but this was really bland. Definitely not Flynn's best work.

As a side note, it's a shame we didn't get a Mania tie-in comic by Hesse.

Alright, so just to clarify, despite my rants about the awful scripting in the comic, I do wish to express that it's awesome this happened at all.

They made the decision to have a nice little tie-in comic and put it out there without charging for it, which they didn't have to do and I do appreciate it.

I also really love the fact that I got to see the Chaotix do some awesome shit. 

Definitely not mad or anything. Just could have done a bit better on one major thing within it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I'm gonna get eaten alive for saying this but with the Mega Drive comics and the animated Mania opening.

A tie-in comic would've kinda felt redundant. :U

I really like the art for this comic! I was worried that new artists wouldn't be able to capture the style of Sonic as well as I wanted but this has relieved a lot of that fear. The OC's constant self-loathing didn't really bother me much, but more show don't tell would have been nice.

3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Well that, and Ian's not writing Forces either... which if I were to judge based on this comic might have been for the best. 

Prove me wrong Ian. You can do better than this.

"Show don't tell" next time.

Actually, the artist DID show. So good on him at least.

Ian made the script, Sonic Team did the story. But he is still responsible for the constant whining the OC does so he is at fault as well.

I personally thought it was great. Pretty bare-bones in terms of plot, but the soldier's lack of confidence humanizes him as just a regular schmo doing his best in a disaster. The Chaotix are also always fun and Adam Bryce Thomas's artwork has never looked better. (It's awesome that another artist from the later Archie days can still work on Sonic!) Excited to see what the other three parts will be about!

20 minutes ago, Creep Dude said:

I'm gonna get eaten alive for saying this but with the Mega Drive comics and the animated Mania opening.

A tie-in comic would've kinda felt redundant. :U

I agree with this actually. Wasn't needed at all. 

• Thumbs Up 3

59 minutes ago, Vampony CC14 said:

I personally thought it was great. Pretty bare-bones in terms of plot, but the soldier's lack of confidence humanizes him as just a regular schmo doing his best in a disaster. 

I feel like he could've been humanized while still seeming a little less pathetic, though.

Instead of saying "I'm a failure," maybe something more like "Hey, these guys are the heroes, I'm just a regular guy. My job's just holding down the fort, not fighting Eggman."

It makes him seem less down on himself and more like he's just being realistic, or even just giving in to the bystander effect; "Someone else will take care of this. This isn't my fight," only for him to have to stand up and go, "No, I do need to stand up and fight. I need to do what I can too!"

It's a similar progression, but I feel like it makes the character less of a sadsack and more of a regular guy just trying to survive in an abysmal situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

When it comes to warm its easier to pretend that everyone would be in top shape, super brave, and readily able to do anything to a invading army. But that is not how things go, the character has more than likely as he said heard of sonic and amy and the gang and knows they are great and big time heroes, and as more than likely a younger person reallly admires and aspires to one day meet them and show them they want to be  a hero but through it all they make mistake after mistake and to them that image of sonic one day acknowledging them or meeting them becomes more dim with every mistake and just like actual people they beat themselves up on the inside that they are a failure, sure some super self esteem people out there may tell themselves ok im a failure once but to them and many they will tell themselves over and over and over *yes it can really happen* that they are a failure and will never improve on themselves. He got one shining moment and pulled through to fire a cannon buying the team time to get people out of the city, more than likely he will trail them or try and help more in that city in future issues.  It really is not that hard to see when you read comics a lot of entry characters usually.

Just a quick heads-up:

In today's Sonic stream, Ian Flynn very unsubtly hinted that we'll be seeing a certain psychic fern-head in this series. Also, Aaron Webber said that, should everything go according to plan, we should be getting the next comic sometime next week.

It was a very cute little story...the stress on "I'm a failure" could've been done in a more creative way I think BUT regardless, the story itself was very good and showed the point of the custom hero very well...anyone can be a hero when you put your mind to it.  The art was awesome...just wish we got a longer story but it was free so I'm all for more stuff. :)  Thanks Sega!

I thought this whole thing was adorable. The OC was a total putz and found a new way to turn everything he touched into a disaster. Even when he tried to help, stuff just backfired and Team Chaotix had to pick up the slack. But in the end, he found a way too contribute that was believable and appropriate. I'd rather see the avatar drive off an invasion via lucky shot, then be some kind of force of nature on the battlefield.

I like it. Ready for more.

• Thumbs Up 2