Awoo.

Sonic Forces Digital Comic (Moment of Truth, Stress Test, Looming Shadow, Rise of Infinite)

DiamondX

I don't see the OC as THAT bad myself. It's just a classic story of somebody who didn't believe in themselves and had to keep trying until they grow and get over self doubt. Not anything special, but it's ok. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thumbs Up 5

I found it amazing as well a the art . Oh hmm a solid hero who sees himself like a failure. Naruto. Gash bell. Among manyheroes . Generic yes but that is miles and leagues away from a reason to see it a bad

The Avatar is basically Chris Thorndyke, or any other average Joe who has no self-esteem until all his whining pays off and he's suddenly besties with the main hero character. He's not a character; he's quite literally supposed to be an avatar of the player/audience. Yuck.

Art was on point tho'

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

If the Chaotix don't reference this at some point I'll be mad.

Debt.thumb.jpg.47cced01a2d4b9aedb4dbc7dbd3f27a8.jpg

Putting that aside, this was a pretty cool comic. It's nice to see how normal people see Sonic and the crazy ass world in general. It is also very cool to see how normal people fear Eggman to a great degree. We also got a really good look at what Eggman's new ships are, and I'm really liking that design. Overall very good, and I'd like to see more. Something else interesting I'd like to bring up is the fact that this doesn't appear to be the Avatar. That's not just because of the design, but several other factors point to it. The main thing is that he gets the Wispon in a different way than the Avatar. He can also speak, which is something they obviously don't want the Avatar doing since he is a self insert. Anyway, I wonder if the events of this comic will be referenced in the games or not? Could be interesting if it was.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay.

So, I don't have a problem with the Avatar being this kind of character. In fact, I prefer it. However, there's ways of writing it so that it doesn't come off as vapid and as annoying as it did here. The number one, major issue with him aren't his actions. It's that his dialogue is terrible.

Like, it's legit horrifying how awful it is.

You can get across what he's feeling without repetitiously writing the same line of dialogue about how much of a coward and a failure he is. 

"Except I'm a failure" written at the top of the page followed by "Except I'm a failure" written at the bottom of the page. I get another page of the Chaotix being awesome and the next page opens with "I'm a failure. A coward. A fraidy coward-"

Good God. 

Granted this is an issue I do sometimes have with the comics. Sometimes they'll write characters in a way that's either trying too hard to be clever or extremely generic in a way that's super oblivious to how generic it is so it's still peppered with little bits of dialogue within it that sound like it's trying to be cute. Like saying "Fraidy Coward" after having already said Failure and Coward.

This'll probably be something that Forces does a little better actually since the Avatar can't speak. It'll have no choice but to resort to "Show don't tell" which is good. Of course, even here they could have done that just fine. Just take away the needless caption boxes. Keep the scenes of him messing up and hiding.

And accidently firing a wispon into Charmy's butt. That was funny. Again, I love my comedy slapstick. 

The actual sequence of events here were fine. It was cute. Sure.

However, this really could have worked so much better had the captions just turned themselves off. Instead of having them say "I shot at Dr. Eggman. I shot at Dr. Eggman and lived-" and making me go "I GET IT! YOU'RE SCARED! YOU TOLD ME ALREADY!" just have a close-up of his sweaty face. He's trembling but trying to smile because he's happy he did something worthwhile.

Then have the Chaotix congratulate him and and Charmy forgive him for the alleged burning of his butt. And you're all good.

So great art. Lovely facial reactions. However, the script needed a do-over. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Don't really have much thoughts other than basic surface level stuff such as the art being really nice and it's nice to see Team Chaotix as always. 

It's only the first part, so I'll probably have an actual real opinion on this after everything is released and done.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Besties? They complimented him on the one shot and then went about their business leaving him alone again. It's not like they invited him to join in on the tactical discussion or anything further than say "Hey, that shot was cool". 

I wasn't talking about just what we see here (cause Sonic isn't even in it yet). You know that's exactly where it's heading though, both in-game and in-comic.

Just now, Blue Blood said:

You know that's exactly where it's heading though, both in-game and in-comic.

Honestly, I think it's going to switch the rookie character to a new one every part of this comic. Given the whole point of the OC is all the possibilities it brings, it makes more sense to me that they'd show off the variety. 

But whether it's an issue in further parts or the games is still not really applicable for right here, right now. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

You know that's exactly where it's heading though, both in-game and in-comic.

Except the Avatar can't speak, so in what possible way could he become a whiny character like Chris? Also unlike Chris, he is actually capable and contributes. The comparison between the Avatar and Chris begins and ends at the fact that they are both "ordinary", that's it.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

But whether it's an issue in further parts or the games is still not really applicable for right here, right now. 

Kinda is though, cause the avatar isn't much of a character. By the very title of "avatar", it's an audience self-insert. To me, that is just so totally wrong in a series like Sonic.

And even if not, the character presented in this comic is rubbish. 

12 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Okay.

So, I don't have a problem with the Avatar being this kind of character. In fact, I prefer it. However, there's ways of writing it so that it doesn't come off as vapid and as annoying as it did here. The number one, major issue with him aren't his actions. It's that his dialogue is terrible.

You can get across what he's feeling without repetitiously writing the same line of dialogue about how much of a coward and a failure he is. 

"Except I'm a failure" written at the top of the page followed by "Except I'm a failure" written at the bottom of the page. I get another page of the Chaotix being awesome and the next page opens with "I'm a failure. A coward. A fraidy coward-"

Good God. 

Granted this is an issue I do sometimes have with the comics. Sometimes they'll write characters in a way that's either trying too hard to be clever or extremely generic in a way that's super oblivious to how generic it is so it's still peppered with little bits of dialogue within it that sound like it's trying to be cute. Like saying "Fraidy Coward" after having already said Failure and Coward.

This'll probably be something that Forces does a little better actually since the Avatar can't speak. It'll have no choice but to resort to "Show don't tell" which is good. Of course, even here they could have done that just fine. Just take away the needless caption boxes. Keep the scenes of him messing up and hiding.

And accidently firing a wispon into Charmy's butt. That was funny. Again, I love my comedy slapstick. 

However, this really could have worked so much better had the captions just turned themselves off. Instead of having them say "I shot at Dr. Eggman. I shot at Dr. Eggman and lived-" and making me go "I GET IT! YOU'RE SCARED! YOU TOLD ME ALREADY!" just have a close-up of his sweaty face. He's trembling but trying to smile because he's happy he did something worthwhile.

Then have the Chaotix congratulate him and and Charmy forgive him for the alleged burning of his butt. And you're all good.

They repeat it cause it's how he feels so you know he thinks that badly of himself like people irl do. It's basic comic setup story telling. It's like Naruto having flsh backs through the series of him being alone as a kid.

This is really uncomfortable to read. Avatar is so cringeworthy, I’m really dreading Forces’ story now.

The dialogue really needs to re-work itself in the later ones. Those caption boxes shouldn't have been there.

It really is annoying seeing someone, anyone, repeat the same thing over and over again as though the hints haven't been passed towards the audience already.

I could tell by the actions in the panels that I would have liked him just fine had he shut up a bit more. There's only a few parts in the comic where it's necessary for him to speak but they have him do so all throughout it for the sake of repeating the same thing we were already told from the get-go. 

I really liked some of the failure stuff he was doing in the comic. It being peppered along with the comic pointing out that what he was doing were the actions of a loser and a failure kept ruining it though. 

Try and read this without paying attention to the caption boxes and just watch his actions and facial expressions. Just read his one line when he's apologizing to Charmy at the end and that's probably all you need.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hoping that the next part is about the same Rookie who develops more confidence, with different side characters, but it's probably different avatars too. Next parts could be one with Knuckles and Amy, one with Tails, and one with Team Dark. More avatars with different personalities is also nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, that was pretty good. The rookie's "I'm a failure" thing was a bit overdone, sure, but wasn't an inherently bad idea, especially since it's relatable. I'm very happy the Chaotix were in, even if I feel they probably could've "shone" a little bit more. They're some of my favorite characters. Overall, a good if simple comic. Best of all, I had forgotten how much I liked the concept of a citizen-powered resistance in Sonic, brings me back to SatAM in a great way.

• Thumbs Up 7

15 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

This is really uncomfortable to read. Avatar is so cringeworthy, I’m really dreading Forces’ story now.

Avatars don't talk in game, so I don't see the problem.

• Promotion 1

Ehh, it was alright. Think the best thing about this comic was the artwork though. I really like it! Hope this artist is working on the next three issues too. 

1 hour ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Avatars don't talk in game, so I don't see the problem.

Well that, and Ian's not writing Forces either... which if I were to judge based on this comic might have been for the best. 

Prove me wrong Ian. You can do better than this.

"Show don't tell" next time.

Actually, the artist DID show. So good on him at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Well it's...kinda boring. Original the Character is bad at everything and whines a lot but chases off Eggman with a perfect shot, also the Chaotix are there. That's it.

At least it seems this is a standalone thing and not part of IDW Sonic.

I don't know personally I like that the story was just some shmoe who's not very good at his Job making a name for himself. It's a harmless tie--in sort of thing that's been used a dozen times but it's still a pretty fun.

Also glad most of you guys have perfect Self Esteem and never Ever doubt yourselves or hate yourselves for being useless. Must be nice.

How long has Sonic/Tails/Amy been heroes in this universe? Sonic is still only 15 right? I doubt Sonic has been a hero since he was a baby... Not sure how that would add up to this new guy's "whole life." Hohoo!

Yeah I think it's best to just MST3K Mantra that one.

• Promotion 1

Some if these reactions to the OC's character are really overblown,good  lord it's just basic unconfidence given way to a more headstrong character. It's basic as hell but that's all it is. Far faaaar from the worst example of this type of characters 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 3

40 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Okay.

Good God. 

Yea, that's why I wasn't really feeling this. A lot of telling the audiences how the characters feel instead of showing it, so it just feels...fake.

I get wanting to convey how the characters feel, but this is Sonic. That can easily be done through facial expressions and actions, not repeating the same line over and over.

Now granted, it's just how American comics are written, but still.

I can't believe no one has pointed out how these pages are blatantly unfinished. The pencils are fine, but the coloring job was half-assed. There are flat, digital brush strokes all over certain panels, and on the final page, they didn't even take out the freaking color palate swatches. Did they accidentally upload the unfinished versions of these pages, or did they really rush this out the door that quickly?

awful small.png

I gave it a read a while ago, and I actually rather like it. It's got its problems, don't get me wrong, but I ultimately enjoyed myself and am looking forward to more on it. First off, I should say that I actually liked the main character. People say he's whiny because he keeps repeating statements to the point of being irritating, but I can speak from personal experience and say that is a thing that happens when you hate yourself and take any opportunity to criticize yourself for whatever flaws you have. And when you've spent your life hearing about great heroes and are surrounded by them in your current life situation, it makes you think you're all the worse when you're unable to help out, regardless of whether you have understandable reasons. I really do get where he's coming from, and it made things a much more interesting read than it otherwise would have been.

I think it suffers a lot from having to be a short one-shot. The idea of this cowardly, self-loathing guy slowly learning to find a bravery he never knew he had is a good story, especially when placed against an apocalyptic backdrop (I'm a fan of Evangelion, for God's sake), but it's never given the time it deserves to properly develop. Everything has to be established really quickly via text boxes, which works against a visual medium like comic books and can make the hero's perspective seem far more obnoxious than it really is. And at the same time, that crucial idea of getting him to develop into a braver person, someone who despite everything still manages to stand back up and keep moving forward, loses a lot of its impact when it happens so quickly. It makes the piece feel fluffy and easily discardable, since the few interesting concepts it babbles with are easily discarded when no longer relevant. I really do wish this was the first part of a full length story, and not just the first of a few one-shots, so things wouldn't have to be so rushed.

On a side note, I'm a bit iffy on the artwork. I've not read anything else that was drawn by Adam Bryce Thomas prior to this, so this isn't a particular comment on the artist beyond whatever job he's done hee. Firstly, there's a tendency to give characters smears when they're moving. Smears are a technique often used in animation to get across the idea of certain elements moving really quickly in a manner meant to resemble the blurring seen in people's movements in real life/live action, so it's a bit weird seeing in a static medium like comic books. I'm not even sure if it conveys the idea of characters moving that well, but it could just be that I'm used to other techniques. Also, the somewhat three dimensional look characters have in some panels just doesn't work for me; it makes the characters resemble their in-game models more, but it just about dips into the uncanny valley for me. Besides, it's a 2D comic, so it makes no sense to me when artists try (and typically fail) to make characters look 3D instead of using the medium to give characters wonderful expressions that really sell how they're feeling. You know, like pretty much every other Sonic comic in the last few years.

Still, I'm interested to see how the next few issues turn out, and I hope they'll be better one-off stories than the one we got there (even if I still like it).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1