Awoo.

sonic 3D blast director's cut (beta version out now!)

blueblur98

I'm totally down with this. Flawed though it is, 3D Blast holds a special nostalgic place in my heart, and seeing the original developer behind this remaster has me excited.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

Do you know what I would love beyond anything else? If the Saturn version was ported with all of these additions added. Then the game would finally be at least a 6/10 game.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 3

This looks interesting. 3D Blast is one of the most boring games I've ever played but was and still is an amazing feat for the Genesis. I'm totally open to a improvement patch.

With Sonic 3D Blast I think that if the developer collaborated with Taxman, Stealth they would make an ultimate 3D Blast experience. Imagine the options similar to CD, 1 or 2... Genesis music and visuals/Saturn music and visuals; Super Sonic and hell I would like to see a form of debug mode in 3D Blast :D . Obviously not for mobile (I cannot even imagine how they would make it playable on mobile) but for PC and consoles.

I might even pay for that.

Just now, superman43 said:

(I cannot even imagine how they would make it playable on mobile) but for PC and consoles.

Two words: Bluetooth controllers.

Or one: 8bitdo.

13 minutes ago, molul said:

Two words: Bluetooth controllers.

Or one: 8bitdo.

Bluetooth controller for mobile, nah. By the way, Retro Engine would be capable of making a unique experience for many of the Sega Genesis games, the problem only is the license. My favourite that I would really love to see on mobile is Mr.Nutz. That would need a license from Atari (successor of Ocean Software).

Remake the Saturn version with or without the extra tweaks and improvements and it's a day one for me also get the PC version up on Steam too, all that mist in Rusty Ruin Saturn wasn't in that version. 

1 hour ago, superman43 said:

Bluetooth controller for mobile, nah. 

You should try with the Nvidia Shield K1 tablet before going "Nah". Being able to play any system from NES (well and previous to NES) to Nintendo64 with bluetooth controllers, optionally connected by HDMI to a projector... Priceless :) 

45 minutes ago, molul said:

You should try with the Nvidia Shield K1 tablet before going "Nah". Being able to play any system from NES (well and previous to NES) to Nintendo64 with bluetooth controllers, optionally connected by HDMI to a projector... Priceless :) 

Even if I had the money for it, I wouldn´t buy it. Probably because I am not a typical gamer.

Nice.

I hope he removes the extra-life cap of "9". If you're really hardcore (like me) you could reach a life count of about 70 in a full playthrough... Yep, I need help :P

What I'd really like to see is the Saturn version rebuilt from the ground up (Taxman style) with an improved physics engine and an option to play either the Mega-Drive or Saturn soundtrack. Also, how about playable Tails & Knuckles. I can dream...

Always been fond of 3D Blast. It gets boring after a while (and the special stages are pathetically easy) but it's a decent game. Has a fantastic soundtrack.

• Thumbs Up 4

If he just makes it so you don't feel like you are running around on ice its an improvement.

My second least favourite Sonic game.

I dislike Sonic 3D Blast for quite a few reasons, but this proposed director's cut would actually address a few, so I'm super interested to see what becomes of it. Also that dude's channel is fantastic.

3D Blast has a charm that will never go away for me! The PC/Saturn OST is one of my absolute favorite videogame tracks ever!

Criminally underrated if you ask me! :)

6 hours ago, booblur98 said:

the first official gameplay of the project has been released!

- Sonic can turn more quickly and accurately at slow speed. Can run up a steep slope from a standing start. Friction reduced at high speed.

- No longer come to a complete stop when clipping a wall.

- Run even faster when collecting fast speed shoes. Can out-run the camera. If you have the fast shoes and run into an enemy you just get knocked backwards without losing any rings. 

- If a Flicky is not collected it's icon will flash to help make you aware you need to collect it.

- No longer drop any Flickies if hit by an badnik as long as you have rings. If you have no rings then they will scatter when Sonic is hit. 

- Flickies won't drop if hit by a lazer. They act like a shield to Sonic. The more you hold, the more protected Sonic is.

- When the Flickies scatter all of them will now try to find Sonic (yep, including the annoying jumping red one).  

- Removed spike-ball from the Hunter badniks in Green Groove to make destroying this badnik easier.

- Knuckles and Tails (special stage entrance) have better coliision detection, so easier to interact with.

- Sonic's shadow now appears on the breakable rock platforms in Volcano Valley.

- Added score display

All good changes.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/13/2017 at 6:49 AM, superman43 said:

With Sonic 3D Blast I think that if the developer collaborated with Taxman, Stealth they would make an ultimate 3D Blast experience.

I'm not sure how much more those two could do over one of the original developers working from his personal copies of the original source code.

4 minutes ago, Tornado said:

I'm not sure how much more those two could do over one of the original developers working from his personal copies of the original source code.

Like seriously ? Let´s focus on their remasters of CD, 1 and 2. There is a potential for some exciting addition.

21 minutes ago, superman43 said:

Like seriously ?

Yes, seriously. This is the original developer of the game working from the actual source code and development tools used to create the game (that he seemingly primarily wrote himself in the first place) when he was part of one of the most technically proficient developers of the 16-bit era; improving the game in ways that he personally found it deficient as well as external feedback he heard since it released. This is such a unique situation that I don't see what people in the fan community with little directly comparable knowledge of the game in question could contribute over him even if they have done other things that were impressive in their own right. It would be similar if Naka decided he wanted to take a crack at some sort of super version of one of the original games.

Put another way: There are a million source ports of Doom and Wolfenstein 3D, and plenty of people who understand how those games ultimately work. The ones John Carmack himself had a hand in are much more interesting than almost all of them.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Yes, seriously. This is the original developer of the game working from the actual source code and development tools used to create the game (that he seemingly primarily wrote himself in the first place) when he was part of one of the most technically proficient developers of the 16-bit era; improving the game in ways that he personally found it deficient as well as external feedback he heard since it released. This is such a unique situation that I don't see what people in the fan community with little directly comparable knowledge of the game in question could contribute over him even if they have done other things that were impressive in their own right. It would be similar if Naka decided he wanted to take a crack at some sort of super version of one of the original games.

Put another way: There are a million source ports of Doom and Wolfenstein 3D, and plenty of people who understand how those games ultimately work. The ones John Carmack himself had a hand in are much more interesting than almost all of them.

By the way, I DIDN´T say that Taxman and Stealth would do better without the original developer. I said that if they were collaborating we could expect some cool enhancement. Therefore your reply was not a reply to what I said.

13 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

- No longer drop any Flickies if hit by an badnik as long as you have rings. If you have no rings then they will scatter when Sonic is hit. 

Good change. This mechanic was one of my main issues with the game, especially in later levels like Volcano Valley and Gene Gadget where recollecting Flickies was a major hassle in certain areas. I like how he decided to balance it as well instead of just getting rid of the Flicky scattering mechanic all together.

- When the Flickies scatter all of them will now try to find Sonic (yep, including the annoying jumping red one).  

This just seems unnecessary. Why have them scatter at all if you're going to make the process of recollecting them significantly easier?

- Removed spike-ball from the Hunter badniks in Green Groove to make destroying this badnik easier.

Another unnecessary change. Destroying a hunter isn't a challenge in the first place, so I'm not sure why he did this. Its spike ball is the only thing serving as a threat for Sonic, so if you remove it you might as well just replace the badnik with a monitor since all it does is stand in place anyway. If he wants to make destroying badniks less of a hassle overall, why not give Sonic the homing shield ability from the get-go and replace all homing shield monitors with regular shields?  It's not like the homing ability has a long range anyway, so there's no worry about it being OP.

Anyway this is looking like a mixed bag of good and weird changes to me. I'm glad he's rectifying some of the game's flaws, but at the same time I'm not a fan of how he seems to also be going about it with this apparent mentality of "Let's make the game easier!" when the original is already easy enough for the most part on its own. Of course this is all coming from someone who already likes 3D Blast in it's current form, so take that as you will.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, superman43 said:

By the way, I DIDN´T say that Taxman and Stealth would do better without the original developer. I said that if they were collaborating we could expect some cool enhancement. Therefore your reply was not a reply to what I said.

It actually was. Because, once again, my charge was that I don't think Taxman or Stealth could contribute things that would be an "exciting addition" over and above what someone who already has unparalleled access to and intimate knowledge of the original design of the game in question would already be able to do. Artwork maybe, but he's already shown off assets that he might be able to get back in the game that were cut. We can already expect some "cool enhancement," because the person who designed the fucking game in the first place has promised and showed off some that he's done within a week. Anything those two, or any other significantly skilled member of the fan community, could contribute would likely amount to differences in opinion for game design rather than anything that he couldn't do himself on a technical level (again, working from the original source code that he wrote in the first place).

It also defeats the purpose of it being a "Director's Cut" a bit, if the creative drive is being heavily shaped by people completely outside the original development process.

17 minutes ago, Clewis said:

This just seems unnecessary. Why have them scatter at all if you're going to make the process of recollecting them significantly easier?

I don't think the Genesis version has the color pallette to have made this anything but a chore, though. Those fucking green ones in Rusty Ruin, for example, might as well turn invisible if you ever lost one; to say nothing of chasing down small sprites in an isometric platformer with obscured areas. I'd say it is in improvement hinging on how rigidly they go back to Sonic.

3 minutes ago, Tornado said:

It actually was. Because, once again, my charge was that I don't think Taxman or Stealth could contribute things that would be an "exciting addition" over and above what someone who already has unparalleled access to and intimate knowledge of the original design of the game in question would already be able to do. Artwork maybe, but he's already shown off assets that he might be able to get back in the game that were cut. We can already expect some "cool enhancement," because the person who designed the fucking game in the first place has promised and showed off some that he's done within a week. Anything those two, or any other significantly skilled member of the fan community, could contribute would be differences in opinion for game design rather than likely anything that he couldn't do himself on a technical level.

Definitely not. Look at how faithfully they made the remakes and even asked Yuji Naka himself if HE approves Hidden Palace Zone for Sonic 2 remaster. They would work with him as they did with SEGA. No more, no less. And as you said, they are fans. Why would they even want to negate something that was done by the original cast as there is the original designer. That just doesn´t make sense.