Awoo.

Sonic Forces: Infinite Unmasked (SPOILERS/Speculation)

The Deleter

Alright guys if you want to make this topic about DBZ, ya gotta keep it about Infinite or Forces, at least :V

We already have topics to discuss the DBZ influences outside of this thread, I'm sure, lmao

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

Just now, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

Despite that fact, he was still established as a villain/rival character for that game, the same way Vegeta and Piccolo were before becoming friends with the main protag. Obviously his motivations were villainous but he still took up the role of hindering the hero characters and screwing with them for the entirety of the game.

I don't think that' just makes them that character, because a character initially fighting another character and then becoming friends, is super common and at this point non description.

I've always hated the sonic dbz comparisons, because there's not real weight behind any of them, and fall apart even on a surface level with the smallest amount of analysis. 

While it's clear a number of people here just don't want Sonic games to ever reference the direction seen from 1998-2009, I guess I'm just glad this game's tone and characters seem aimed at what I loved about this franchise when I got into it. I like Infinite a lot from the promotional material and while I still don't intend to get the game because I'm not a huge fan of the Boost gameplay, I am looking forward to seeing the plot when it releases in less than a month.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Shadowlax said:

I don't think that' just makes them that character, because a character initially fighting another character and then becoming friends, is super common and at this point non description.

I've always hated the sonic dbz comparisons, because there's not real weight behind any of them, and fall apart even on a surface level with the smallest amount of analysis. 

Because in terms of the comparison being made, it's true. Someone who was once a rival and in a villain role for a game pulled a heel-face turn and became friends with the hero/title character as well as fighting alongside them. Knuckles' motivations as for his role in S3&K are vastly different, that's why no one is calling him a outright clone of Piccolo/Vegeta, but the comparison is still there with the general idea itself.

Obviously, DBZ isn't the one to come up with the trope, but it was used in regards to Knuckles, Piccolo and Vegeta, so therefore the comparison can still be made. There's an incredible huge difference between - comparing and - being a full on clone of the trope. 

24 minutes ago, Almar said:

You don't have any evidence of anything beyond a forced coincedence.

How on Earth do you need evidence to make a comparison between two characters? If it was "Sonic was inspired and based Knuckles on this character", you might have a leg to stand on in terms of evidence. You don't really need to have evidence beyond what was already shown in the games in which Knuckles was in an antagonistic role against Sonic and Tails while working with the main villain. Even if he was tricked, he was still in wrong in S3&K and was trying to hinder an attempt to save the world without his own knowledge. He later swapped from his antagonistic role, joined up with the heroes, and fought against a greater evil with them. That is what Vegeta and Piccolo did in DBZ, therefore that's a comparison between the two, and to make this clear: A comparison/similarity - not Sonic being inspired/lifting from DBZ.

Just now, Almar said:

Also, Knuckles was never a villain. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/villain

"A character in a story or play who opposes the hero"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antagonist

Villains are commonly referred to as Antagonists - "Characters may be antagonists without being evil – they may simply be injudicious and unlikeable for the audience" 

In his initial entry to the series, Knuckles works with the main antagonist up until the moment he discovers he has been tricked, thus making him the above.

• Thumbs Up 7

25 minutes ago, Almar said:

You don't have any evidence of anything beyond a forced coincedence.

He's not saying they're copying DBZ, he's saying it's similar enough to make a comparison..

1 hour ago, Limit Breaker Diamond said:

It's a little more than that.

He points out the similarities between Eggman and Freeza and more.

IDK, found the video pretty good.

I remember this video. While there are some similarities between a few characters, that comparison is really stretching it.

39 minutes ago, Almar said:

They're not similar enough to make anything more than a basic comparison that you can also make with loads of other stuff.

Yeah, goes without saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

I ctrl+F'd "Infinite" and came up with two results on this page alone

Onto the topic you get back y'all

• Thumbs Up 4