Awoo.

Sonic Forces: Infinite Unmasked (SPOILERS/Speculation)

The Deleter

20 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Man, I haven't seen this much story included in a Sonic game in a loooong time. Not since Black Knight, anyway. Good quality gameplay or not, the story for Sonic Forces is making me very curious. The fact that they're putting this much into just Infinite alone is crazy.

There's a real myriad of potential things going on with this story that it might just end up being the game's saving grace. I don't like a lot of what we're seeing story-wise so far, but Shadow having a mini-episode exploring his backstory in this game and the overall connection to Mania with the Phantom Ruby actually does interest me a lot.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Sgt Jack V said:

Er...

Someone found this on Reddit.

Hide contents

screenshot_1507867453.png

I saw this comparison WAY before finally others noticed its very obvious at this point its him before he changes but can't wait to see why.

1 hour ago, Gabz Girl said:

I’m so intrigued by the backstory of Infinite despite his edgy fan character persona, that I really hope they don’t screw it up.

If he has an edgy personality and/or dark, tragic past at least make him a sympathetic and sometimes even witty character. This is why I liked Shadow so much in SA2, and if they can make him like Shadow then I’d be totally cool with him. I don’t want another Monster of the Week (though tbf we haven’t had one in years!).

As for what type of animal Infinite is...I thought at first a bat because of his similarity to the Pokémon Noivern, but he has a long tail so I’m gonna say a fox! 

Eh, I feel like " hoping he's like shadow" is kind of setting up for failure, every time they try to make a new thing based on shadow it never works out. I feel like this is gonna be a monster of the week type situation. Some random guy gets possessed by a gem, he was your characters friend, the gem leaves him, you fight the gem in the end or eggman or some combination of the two.

Its kinda my issue with infinite in the first place, sonic's made this mistake specifically with shadow, I used to call it shadow disease but now I call it the " overwatch problem" which is " hey , new thing. Don't you like it better than old thing, or at least similarly " to which the response then is " Nah... I have a thing... already, I don't need new thing " and then you wasted money on creating a hero shooter/pushing your new chaarcter, when you could have created a new created a new thing having its own unique merits that stand on its own. And that's my fear with infinite that he will be like " Hey he brained controled shadow isn't he cool " but like time and time and again audience response is " no... we just... like shadow... we don't want this new thing " . So I hope its unique or done in such a way that makes him not like shadow. But it doesn't seem like it, and to that point he was kind of upstaged in his own trailer. Because people were theorizing why shadow was on the bad guy side. 

I hope, in the next sonic game, they use a villain(s) that works on their own merits. The deadly 6 could have been that, but they look and are terrible, so I can kind of see why they went back to what worked... but it only worked one time... mephilies didn't exactly... work to good. 

Rambling, I hope he's not like shadow. I hope he's actually the farthest away from shadow he can be. Shadow exists you have a shadow, infinite can... be anything, hopefully its something memorable and not a shallow copy of things done before. ( Though... a lot of this game looks like that personally )

If you look closely at the picture with shadow in it , it shows infinite holding a trident and something else. I believe he can create multiple weapons not just a sword. this might help support the theory that help create illusion chaos and enhance metal sonic. O and I think omega in that picture too.

I'm not interested in Infinite's backstory, if he gets one. I see no reason to be interested as this guy is already so vapid and generically badass. If he gets a backstory it'll probably be some "I'm still pissed about my dark past" bullshit, I'm not convinced Sonic Team could come up with anything better/more creative than that. Seriously you people are getting hyped for absolutely nothing. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

8 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

d8sowAA.jpg

So infinite is just gonna be some random bum wolf/fox guy before being evil? Predictably boring IMO. What's the point in him wearing a mask to hide his face if we already have no Idea who he is? Just to be edgy cool? You could say it's so that the Avatar doesn't find out who he is... but from the viewer's standpoint alone it serves no point or mystery in that case. I guess it could just be a mind control mask from Eggman err? I suppose most fans will prefer this over somebody we know already be corrupted into a badguy for 1 single game.. But it's less interesting how it actually seems to be to me.

2 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

So infinite is just gonna be some random bum wolf/fox guy before being evil? Predictably boring IMO. What's the point in him wearing a mask to hide his face if we already have no Idea who he is? Just to be edgy cool? You could say it's so that the Avatar doesn't find out who he is... but from the viewer's standpoint alone it serves no point or mystery in that case. I guess it could just be a mind control mask from Eggman err? I suppose most fans will prefer this over somebody we know already be corrupted into a badguy for 1 single game.. But it's less interesting how it seems to actually be to me.

Maybe that's not even him, it looks like an homage to Antoine.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Well the B&W WIP art still looks to be of the same race and nobody we've seen before, so it makes no difference if the yellow & red guy is him or not. It still ends up being a 100% new guy.

9 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Unless.. Infinite is gameverseAntoine!

8 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Well the B&W WIP art still looks to be of the same race and nobody we've seen before, so it makes no difference if the yellow & red guy is him or not. It still ends up being a 100% new guy.

Of course is gonna be a new guy, I don't expect him to be Tails or Blaze.

I want to know more about him though. Which we could, in the Shadow DLC.

11 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Of course is gonna be a new guy, I don't expect him to be Tails or Blaze.

I didn't expect him to be anybody we knew, which is why I called it predictable and that most fans will prefer it being a new guy. But I on the other hand wanted it to be somebody we already knew is all i'm saying. =p

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

d8sowAA.jpg

I like the idea of this guy becoming Infinite, if that's the case i imagine we will se more of him in one of the 3 remaining promotional comics, or in Episode Shadow, but...

his tail is awfully different from infinite's, the Phantom Ruby may have altered this characteristic of his too, but still

1 hour ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

So infinite is just gonna be some random bum wolf/fox guy before being evil? Predictably boring IMO. What's the point in him wearing a mask to hide his face if we already have no Idea who he is? Just to be edgy cool? You could say it's so that the Avatar doesn't find out who he is... but from the viewer's standpoint alone it serves no point or mystery in that case. I guess it could just be a mind control mask from Eggman err? I suppose most fans will prefer this over somebody we know already be corrupted into a badguy for 1 single game.. But it's less interesting how it actually seems to be to me.

TBF we have no clue on this guys character YET, something can happen in the remaining comic tie in to drive him away from Sonic's friends.

The orange canine is generic-looking enough that I think the resemblance could easily be a coincidence. Also, no Sega characters have the color of the rest of their body on the bridge of their nose, do they? That could indicate it was just a background character by ABT rather than a Sega-designed character.

Still an interesting theory, though.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

15 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

The orange canine is generic-looking enough that I think the resemblance could easily be a coincidence. Also, no Sega characters have the color of the rest of their body on the bridge of their nose, do they? That could indicate it was just a background character by ABT rather than a Sega-designed character.

Still an interesting theory, though.

Nope doubt it plus they already confirmed he was an ordinary animal character and used to be good again wait for more of the comic.

Honestly, sorry to keep referencing Mario, but, assuming the theories that Infinite was just a corrupted good guy are true, then...

Spoiler

Mr._L_Artwork_(Super_Paper_Mario).png

Mario did it better.

Luigi was brainwashed and corrupted into being a villain in Super Paper Mario, but still retained his amusing and - at times - egocentric personality. His motives and memories were tampered with, but he wasn't turned into a bland, vapid, humorless edgelord with no personality.

He still shares a meaningful connection to a major character - only this time, both he and the character he shares a connection with are established parts of the canon, not new elements made up just for one game - so the audience is even more invested in seeing him restored to normal. But they can still laugh and have a good time along the way as they see him interact with both the other villains and with the heroes during his unwilling stint as a bad guy.

I think, assuming the theories are true and Infinite is a corrupted good guy, Mr. L is Infinite done right. This corrupted Luigi manages to be both an intimidating foe and a funny, endearing, and likable character with memorable lines and tons of personality. He doesn't have to choose between being fun or serious - he's both. 

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, NikoS said:

I like the idea of this guy becoming Infinite, if that's the case i imagine we will se more of him in one of the 3 remaining promotional comics, or in Episode Shadow, but...

his tail is awfully different from infinite's, the Phantom Ruby may have altered this characteristic of his too, but still

Yeah can't wait till they explore him in the next sets of pages, yeah its definitely from the transformation that his fur turned black with whitish parts, the bushier tail/ponytail, red scelera/yellow eyes almost similar to the werehog likely his gloves and shoes were also alteres.

• Nice Smile 1

As for this speculation....*sigh* God fucking dammit. I'm really not one to judge a book by its cover...why is Coldsteel canon....why?

• Thumbs Up 1

@Super Mechanio Maybe wait till the game actually comes out then we'll see Infinite's full character. Fan speculations can lead to false generalisation. I used to think Shadow was just an emo Sonic recolor till I played Adventure 2.

Just saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Dannymax440 said:

@Super Mechanio Maybe wait till the game actually comes out then we'll see Infinite's full character. Fan speculations can lead to generalisation. I used to think Shadow was just an emo Sonic recolor till I played Adventure 2.

Just saying.

I still found Shadow to be a pretty mopey, unentertaining character in SA2 honestly. Granted, he got way worse in subsequent games, but even in SA2 he was pretty grating. 

If Shadow is Sonic Team's barometer of success for writing these kinds of characters, then my hopes aren't exactly high.

6 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

I still found Shadow to be a pretty mopey, unentertaining character in SA2 honestly. Granted, he got way worse in subsequent games, but even in SA2 he was pretty grating.

It sounds like you don't really like characters that fall out of the cartoony category , or rather how you see it. Its your choice, I just find that wildly uninteresting personally

3 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

If Shadow is Sonic Team's barometer of success for writing these kinds of characters, then my hopes aren't exactly high.

Shadow being the most popular character not named sonic, creating characters similar to that as an idea makes sense from a detracted cold robotic frame of logic. However when thinking with it with... comprehension and knowledge of the past, this doesn't work out for them, because people just want shadow. Its worse in this game, because shadow hasn't been playable in forever... so now they are extra hungry for shadow. When the mystery of a character you already established completely overshadows ( hehehe ) the new villain you are trying to push, that's not a good sign.

And that's why my hopes for infinite aren't that high, it feels like he's trying to be something that's already a thing... and I wish infinite was trying to be its own thing. But sega is a company that seems to be lacking so much confidence in creating new original content that stands on its own, everything needs to be latched onto old bullshit for them to have confidence in it. And it seems like every aspect of forces, not just its antagonist is suffering for it

I just want Infinite to be a good character, he has tons of potential imo

If him and the Avatar turn out to be friends, it would be a very simple yet effective story.

20 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

I just want Infinite to be a good character, he has tons of potential imo

If him and the Avatar turn out to be friends, it would be a very simple yet effective story.

Yea, I too cannot wait for the story to revolve around two literal fanfic characters while the ones we've known for years take a backseat.

Truly the pinnacle of writing.

• Thumbs Up 4