Awoo.

Sonic Forces: Infinite Unmasked (SPOILERS/Speculation)

The Deleter

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Yea, I too cannot wait for the story to revolve around two literal fanfic characters while the ones we've known for years take a backseat.

Truly the pinnacle of writing.

You know, I'm kinda tired of snarky comments, everything is bad fanfic nowdays I guess, wouldn't be wise to see everything first? I'm not even sure if is gonna be good or bad.

And who says it has to be the pinnacle of writing? If they can pull a simple yet fun story off I'm more than satisfied. Oh, but they can't because the guy is edgy (And that's all we know about him so far) and the other one is an OC with pre established backstory, with no amazing powers. They could if they try.

I don't see what is the doom here.

• Thumbs Up 7

7 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Yea, I too cannot wait for the story to revolve around two literal fanfic characters while the ones we've known for years take a backseat.

Considering that this is still the Modern Era, they should consider themselves lucky that they even get to be in the game, let alone the story, and be happy with that. ¦D

16 hours ago, The Deleter said:

How fitting is this character exactly if he comes from the same world that Sonic inhabits on a daily basis?

There is nothing about Infinite's persona or design that strikes me as unfitting for this franchise.

8 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

That's kind of also my problem

Like it were a game focused around this, like xenoverse... sure. But this seems like, at least parts of it is a fairly " traditional " sonic game... and I would it be about... those characters. And not steve the non discript animal and Damien the non descript edgy animal 

1 minute ago, Joseph Henry said:

And who says it has to be the pinnacle of writing? If they can pull a simple yet fun story off I'm more than satisfied. Oh, but they can't because the guy is edgy (And that's all we know about him so far) and the other one is an OC with pre established backstory, with no amazing powers. They could if they try.

I think that was more sarcasm, I think his point was " I would rather focus on characters I like rather than two who will most likely be literally nothing after this game. Considering we haven't seen the characters we like... in years" .

48 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

It sounds like you don't really like characters that fall out of the cartoony category , or rather how you see it. Its your choice, I just find that wildly uninteresting personally

Wrong. I like characters that are nuanced and have range to them the best. Characters that feel human tend to have a mix of lighthearted and serious traits, rather than being entirely one-note. I tend to point to Undertale as my gold standard of character-writing; The main cast of that game is quirky, funny, and memorable, but they also have depth and even their own arcs in the game to make them more than just one-note joke characters.

And hey, I know that's an RPG and that asking for anything close to that is a lot for a Sonic platformer game, I get that. However, when this game is hyped up as having a focus on story and characterization, by the developers and fans alike, don't blame me for being unimpressed with the product not living up to the hype.

Since this was in response to my opinions about Shadow, I would go on to say that Shadow is a cartoonish and incredibly flat character. He's an amateur's attempt at writing a tragic figure, and we're beaten over the head with how brooding and vengeful he is. At the time of SA2, I would have said that Shadow could not have been any less subtle, but then he starred in his own game where he became a complete parody of himself - wielding guns and daring to drop mild curse words to prove what a total badass he is. Shadow feels like a middle-schooler's first draft at writing an original character, and I cannot take him seriously, no matter how much the series insists I'm supposed to.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

So uh, how are the existing characters taking a backseat again? Shadow is playable for the first time in over a decade, Knuckles is the leader of the resistance, Espio and Silver are described as hero figures, Tails looks to be the main partner of Classic Sonic, and Eggman looks to have a huge role given the fact that he took over the world. What else could you want honestly?

• Thumbs Up 8

7 minutes ago, Crazy_Diamond said:

So uh, how are the existing characters taking a backseat again? Shadow is playable for the first time in over a decade, Knuckles is the leader of the resistance, Espio and Silver are described as hero figures, Tails looks to be the main partner of Classic Sonic, and Eggman looks to have a huge role given the fact that he took over the world. What else could you want honestly?

Eh, Shadow gets mind controlled before the story starts removing all autonomy from his actions after a certain point, which something you don't want a character you like doing after you haven't seen them in any meaningful capacity. Playable or no, speaking of playable though, the only other playable character is another version of sonic and a create a character, I can imagine that they want like me to actually play the other characters. 

That's what more I want, I want to play them. I don't want them described as hero figures, I want to play their adventures and be hero figures. I don't know how old you are , and this isn't to be condescending i'm legit saying I don't know how old you are sonic's been out for a while and there are people who might not have played older games. But You used be able to play the other character on the adventure I didn't have to be told they were cool. I got to be the cool guy. You got to on an adventure, it wasn't another version of sonic and some random, you played as knuckles and tails, and shadow and amy and whatever. 

So that's what people want, to play as the characters they like, not to be told they are important, to be shown they are important. And to go adventures with them. 

So your explanation of their roles, at least to me isn't satisfactory in any regard, I feel a lot of people feel the same. 

So a lot of people want more, because were getting more, even in the classic era. 

21 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

You know, I'm kinda tired of snarky comments, everything is bad fanfic nowdays I guess, wouldn't be wise to see everything first? I'm not even sure if is gonna be good or bad.

I don't see what is the doom here.

Because I don't care about either of them. I'm not saying it's going to be terrible, I'm saying that I do not care. 

And even if the final product ends up being decent, I still won't care. Because I cannot bring myself to care about literal self-insert characters when there's a cast that I've known far longer have barely been getting any focus for years.

I'd rather see a story about Sonic and co. vs. Eggman's army, not OC vs. OC guest starring the Sonic cast.

And this always happens with Modern games. New characters are constantly introduced while the ones we've known are pushed aside in favor of them. So I'm sorry for not being able to care about these new characters despite ST's insistence that I should when I'd rather focus on the rest.

21 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Considering that this is still the Modern Era, they should consider themselves lucky that they even get to be in the game, let alone the story, and be happy with that. ¦D

If that's what I have to settle for, then I'd rather just leave the series altogether and let it burn.

14 minutes ago, Crazy_Diamond said:

I'm almost certain none of that is going to be the focus of the story; the marketting has been pretty heavy in playing up Sonic's bond with the OC, and Infinite over everything else. We'll probably get a few token scenes of them doing stuff, but the main focus is going on the OC and Infinite...ya know, the shit I don't care about.

• Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Hasn't stopped Sonic before.

• Nice Smile 1

TBH, I'm now wishing Classic Sonic wasn't here at all and we could have Buddy follow either The Resistance or Eggman Empire. Or we had an option to play as Infinite somehow.

9 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

There's a real myriad of potential things going on with this story that it might just end up being the game's saving grace. I don't like a lot of what we're seeing story-wise so far, but Shadow having a mini-episode exploring his backstory in this game and the overall connection to Mania with the Phantom Ruby actually does interest me a lot.

I do really like the concept of them tying one game into the next the way Mania seems to with Forces, hopefully it didn't adversely impact development by placing a time constraint on the Mania team. I like the sort of SatAm thing they're going for too with Eggman having already taken over the world. How this all plays out in execution though is anybody's guess, but likewise I'm interested in at least seeing where they go with it.

The only appealing thing to me about Infinite is his sword. Everything else about Infinite would have appealed to me if I was 13 years old again.

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

The list continues to grow...

Overkill is underrated

lol

It fits the theme, but I'm not sure I would add "sword" to his list of abilities. If that's the case we should complete the knife set and add "Fork" and "Spoon" for the inevitable scene where he sits down to eat his lunch.

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

It fits the theme, but I'm not sure I would add "sword" to his list of abilities. If that's the case we should complete the knife set and add "Fork" and "Spoon" for the inevitable scene where he sits down to eat his lunch.

I'm going off the philosophy of 'can you do/use it?' and waving it around isn't using it. So if the answer is no, I vote super power.

Just like I would if Infinite enters on a unicycle whilst juggling.

Just now, Mayor D said:

I'm going off the philosophy of 'can you do/use it?' and waving it around isn't using it. So if the answer is no, I vote super power.

Just like I would if Infinite enters on a unicycle whilst juggling.

Thats a pretty weak definition for something labeled "SuperPower". Wouldn't a better outline be "Could you/I do it if you/I had the proper training?"

Anyone can use a sword if they devote their time do it. Super Speed on the other hand...

Eh, at the end of the day its your fun little list. I can't exactly argue it. ^^

Having a sword is just another 'cool thing' this guy can do, which is the point. Semantics aren't fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Semantics aren't fun.

image.thumb.png.7b2d5313ec763ea1ebecfe10409dc288.png

U shut your mouth

(okay let me pad this out so I don't get in trouble)

But yeah, I get the thematic reverence of the sword. I just personally wouldn't call it a superpower. Same thing applies if we see him with a handgun in the next render. Does it fit the Edgelord theme? sure, but I'm not about to put it on a chart with Flight and shooting Laser Beams from your eyeballs. That would just be silly right?

1 minute ago, Joseph Henry said:

So, what Infinite's sword type?

Is it a dagger? Saber? Scimitar?  I think that's a scimitar.

51eROvllggL._SY355_.jpg

I'd say its a scimitar by the design and blade curve.

5 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

that's how introducing new characters works?

4 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

I thought we learned that Sonic characters using swords was a bad idea back in 2009.

uh, SONIC using a sword is a bad idea.

If the character is specifically fitting for it, then there is no problem.

Also, this is not a typical sword, it looks like symbolism more than anything.