Awoo.

Sonic Forces: Infinite Unmasked (SPOILERS/Speculation)

The Deleter

Just now, Joseph Henry said:

If the character is specifically fitting for it, then there is no problem.

I'm not sure what's "specifically fitting" about a weird floating sci-fi portal guy using swords. It feels weirdly anachronistic for Infinite specifically, if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mayor D said:

mpGamoi.png

The list continues to grow...

Aren't these just different ways either "Illusionist powers" or "Manipulation of time and space" manifest themselves? E.g. it's not like Infinite has infinite (hue) powers, but he's able to be resourceful with the one he has.

7 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

I'm not sure what's "specifically fitting" about a weird floating sci-fi portal guy using swords. It feels weirdly anachronistic for Infinite specifically, if you ask me.

The Final Fantasy series want to have a word with you.

Guys, look at it this way.

Atleast his sword isn't massive and/or long. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Infinite hasn't been seen using a sword while handling the Ruby, either. Probably because it's... Kinda redundant at that point :V

The sword is far more likely tied to his origin, rather than a "edgy thing added to a edgy character to make him even edgier", ala giving Shadow a gun when he already has Chaos powers...

• Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, Joseph Henry said:

The Final Fantasy series want to have a word with you.

The Final Fantasy series has an entire fantasy world setting where medieval weaponry and magic are blended together with futuristic technology. 

For the Sonic series, swords (and for that matter, realistic firearms) feel weird and jarring. And hey, weird and jarring doesn't have to be bad. Sometimes introducing elements that are totally alien to a franchise can work. I'm not saying it can't, but I am saying it probably won't, especially given this team's track record.

15 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

Sounds a bit like the Babylonians (minus the sword).

Eh, I was used to seeing Sonic with a sword thanks to the Archie series, so people whining about that for Black Knight looked silly and ridiculous to me. lol

Sonic is cool. Swords are cool. Sonic with a sword as cool. Heck, Mario with a sword would even be cool since he'd probably do some incredibly wacky shit with it. As long as it's fun, it's fine. And I found Black Knight pretty fun. So yeah, if Infinite has a sword, I'm cool with that. It doesn't hurt anything unless you let it.

People really do get bent out of shape from this stuff way too easily.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

22 minutes ago, Super Mechanio said:

You literally described Janemba from one of the Dragon Ball movies :P Makes me wonder if they've been taking inspiration AGAIN.

• Nice Smile 2

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

[...] Has this been pointed out yet or

Gangsta Style

"Turning a weapon, frequently a pistol, so its grip is horizontal rather than vertical."

I figured the comparison was noteworthy because Infinite is a shitty character and MMX6 is a shitty game. COINCIDENCE??

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

4 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Eh, I was used to seeing Sonic with a sword thanks to the Archie series, so people whining about that for Black Knight looked silly and ridiculous to me. lol

Now, now. Thinking things look dumb or out of place isn't the same thing as whining. I am not whining, I am complaining.

8 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Sonic is cool. Swords are cool. Sonic with a sword as cool. Heck, Mario with a sword would even be cool since he'd probably do some incredibly wacky shit with it. As long as it's fun, it's fine. And I found Black Knight pretty fun. So yeah, if Infinite has a sword, I'm cool with that. It doesn't hurt anything unless you let it.

It's not inherently bad on principle, but I think to make a sword work in Sonic (or Mario for that matter) you need to play around with it and not treat it 100% seriously.

Heavy Shinobi uses a sword and it doesn't feel tonally dissonant from the series, because he's an over-the-top ninja robot who throws Asterons as shurikins. The sword "fits" a lot more in his case, I'd say.

My post that "no Sonic characters should use swords" was mostly a dig at Black Knight and wasn't meant to be 100% literal.

9 minutes ago, Sean said:

So7gr0u.jpg

latest?cb=20100704050727

Has this been pointed out yet or

Oh god, I can see it now.

Infinite: Your data is so fabulous, Sonic! It couldn't be analyzed! Do you know why it's so fabulous!? BECAUSE IT COULDN'T BE ANALYZED!

Eggman: I can now create, perfect, and the strongest Eggman's robots!

• Chuckle 5

I'm all for complaining but a sword is kind of a minor thing to pick at. At least he has something to make him stand out now. Kinda wish he used it more if it's his.

Random aside but I've always wished Espio had a sword.

• Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, Mayor D said:

mpGamoi.png

The list continues to grow...

Aren’t “Fireballs” and “Energy Balls” the same thing? And when was him manipulating time or space confirmed?

Also, it seems weird to put the cubes on the confirmed list as its own power. We don’t even know what they do yet. They could end up being a part of his fireballs or hypnosis (if he can do that) or something. Shouldn’t that put them on the unconfirmed list as “possible cube-related power”? Same with the smoke, I guess.

6 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

People really do get bent out of shape from this stuff way too easily.

I prefer when a series has its own identity and brings its own unique ideas to the table instead of just being a pile of every generic "cool" idea.

Like, speaking of Mario, apparently the original pitch for Super Mario RPG did have him using a sword. But I try to picture that and...it doesn't really work. It doesn't feel like Mario, and I don't see much to be gained in yet another RPG protagonist swinging a sword, even if he's also a plumber this time. What they eventually went with, though, building up a moveset from staple Mario elements like jumps, fireballs, hammers, and shell kicks, actually does feel like an RPG about Mario, and not just an RPG that Mario has intruded into.

And now we've got Odyssey coming up, and instead of just chasing some established generically cool gimmick, they went with "u throw ur hat on a frog & ur the frog" and it looks incredible. They came up with an idea that could fit with the series and made it cool, and that's way more interesting than just dumping a sword in his hands.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

Oh dear christ ITS A SWORD. What the hell is there to complain about?

This is a discussion thread about Infinite. In it, people discuss the information we've gleaned about Infinite. These discussions sometimes include opinions, and these opinions are sometimes critical. 

If you think the sword is cool, or even if you're just indifferent to it, neat. Share your opinions in this open forum! ...But don't get mad at people for thinking it looks dumb, alright? 

8 minutes ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

Oh dear christ ITS A SWORD. What the hell is there to complain about?

Sword is generic cool. It seems pretty obvious, based on the numerous comments saying that.

With the existence of Espio in the first place...

b71fb39e4490c5769d0c73fb888eafb1.jpg

Is an overzealous personality all Infinite's character needs to "fit" with the series? I mean outside of his attack in Heroes, Espio doesn't really use any exaggerated equipment for the most part, like the "large sword" idea suggests...

Mario has a Mega Man Buster style arm cannon in one of the spinoffs, and I thought that was super cool (and not just because I came up with it before Mario Rabbis released), so Infinite having a sword is pretty cool to me.

Who knows, might even be a Wispon.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

And now we've got Odyssey coming up, and instead of just chasing some established generically cool gimmick, they went with "u throw ur hat on a frog & ur the frog" and it looks incredible. They came up with an idea that could fit with the series and made it cool, and that's way more interesting than just dumping a sword in his hands.

That's why Mario can take control of a T. Rex. Cmon, dude, no game series is immune to succumbing to the "wouldn't it be cool if" line of thinking. 

I also see things thrown around like "Infinite is a shitty character" and "the sword doesn't fit and is just there to look cool/edgy/whatever, and all I can think is, how do you know? That could be the case, but how are you so sure about the plot that you're comfortable making such declarative statements? I'm not just singling you out, either. There are so many users doing this. You don't review a movie based on its trailers and featurettes, after all. 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

You don't review a movie based on its trailers and featurettes, after all. 

Sure, but the trailer's job is to market the movie.

If people think the trailer looks bad, they aren't going to be as interested in paying to see it. I think it's absolutely fair to judge an upcoming movie or game by its trailers, because that's what trailers are for. To entice people to see the thing. And if they can't do that, then it's either a failure of marketing, the actual thing being marketed, or both.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well we're talking about a leak here. We don't even know what context a weapon like this is used in in the first place yet. We're just going off the mere fact he has one as a springboard for speculation.

• Thumbs Up 2