Awoo.

Sonic Forces - Space Port Gameplay

Patron

Level looks boring. All the levels look boring to me so far. Empty hallways with basically nothing except worthless enemies that you pretty much nearly HAVE TO TRY to get hurt by them for it to ever happen. Hoping some of the later acts have actual snow and ice placed around... ATM it almost looks like roadside dust on everything.

I'll still enjoy the game's boss fights if nothing else i think... they seem fine, but they don't look like anything special or have any epic feeling from what has been shown.

I don't get it... How did they end up making Generation's gameplay look like a masterpiece compared to this? Hell i don't care what anybody else says... Lost World's gameplay is more fun then what has been shown off for Forces currently... Not that I think people shouldn't enjoy and buy this game... perfectly fine with whoever does. But I don't see anything that looks great enough about this game that one couldn't get a better experience from many other modern 3D platformer/adventure games outside of Forces having Sonic characters in it anyways.

• Thumbs Up 7

5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Imagine their surprise when they find out Green Hill isn't the first stage.

Legit question, isn't Green Hill the second stage?

--

Anyways they really need to show a Modern stage right because oh my gosh . Is he also going to be like this? Is the Sunset Heights level design really the standart of this game?

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm. What I saw looked okay honestly.

I think people are upset because of their own personal set of expectations for the franchise (myself included, as a big classic fan who badly wants a game like utopia or at minimum a fixed SA1 redux) but by now Sonic Team has made it abundantly clear that they are not the same group that created Sonic 3 or Sonic Adventure in 1998 and we should not expect that out of them. This group is going for a different appeal and it's not traditionally Sonic. Only on the surface it is. 

They really do seem to be going for a more casual gamer with Forces who is likely to be unaware of Sonic''s traditional nuanced gameplay (because classic sonic gameplay is a relatively obscure concept in 2017). The whole thing feels a lot more like a low budget movie than a videogame....but some younger gamers actually like this kind of thing.

It's why I think the reviews won't be amazing, but it may sell just fine anyway. Sonic Team basically cannot make a game to please the existing fan base at this point like Mania did but they may soon reach a point where they can just build a new base of fans with completely different taste. That's really what I think this game is trying to do. If what remains of sonic is still appealing, you can find enjoyment in the future of franchise because they'll keep building on this kind of thing. The only way they won't is if it flops, but I doubt that as of now.

Anyway, it's almost exactly what I would expect from a game like this. There should be no surprises to anyone by now. This what youre going to get, which is the same thing we saw 6 months ago. If you don't like it now, your mind is not going to change in a few weeks. If you do like it, have fun.

• Thumbs Up 4

For all the issues SLW had at least the levels looked fun to play before the game came out to a ceartain extent. The enemies were glorified bowling pins, and it required mroe player input then...

DAMN man

Really though, talk about QTEs being glorified cutscenes. At least in other games with QTEs you make a series of button presses. Here? Just one at the very end and you're good to go.

I really don't know why they didn't just make it a story cutscene.

• Thumbs Up 6

14 minutes ago, Cayenne said:

I genuinely don't see what is so bad about it...:huh:

Neither do I. It's exciting, the music is great, and the bit with the train provides just the bit of spectacle I actually rather enjoy from 3D Sonic games and why I like them over the 2D ones so much. I was a little "meh" at first way back when they first revealed it (largely due to Classic Sonic related reasons), but the more they show, the more excited I am.

It honestly befuddles me. Rarely do I see gameplay footage get released and not even half an hour later there's images with Microsoft Paint edits circling any number of things going "This is wrong! This is wrong! That's wrong too" accompanied by an army of "This is the WORST GAME I'VE EVER SEEN" type stuff. You usually have to get like, Marvel VS Capcom Infinite with the weird Chun-li face or the Sonic Boom E3 Demo (both of which had something extraordinarily wrong, like "drama behind the scenes" wrong) in order to garner these responses but with Sonic Forces, it seems that all it has to do is show up and suddenly everyone is shooting at it. Part of me thinks the Mania fans feel weaponized and instead of letting 3D fans enjoy what they enjoy, they want to straight up kill 3D Sonic so that only THEY are happy... then another part of me says "This is like Nintendo hating... it's "cool" to hate Nintendo, in fact it's what you're "supposed" to do.". Then comes theresponses with paragraphs of "It's bad because it's bad and game design, level design, fundamentals, and you're stupid if you don't see that it is, etc" and I'm confused all over again.

Cool music, cool stuff happens, you defeat enemies while avoiding obstacles and moving fast. Seems to work well enough. I'm honestly not offended. Not handing out "best game ever" awards, but not offended, in fact, excited.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Wisphead said:

It's complete fucking incompetence because pushing the Avatar stages is not fucking working. Hell, I'd say it's harming the game MORE than helping it. This is a Sonic the FUCKING Hedgehog game, why the fuck is Sonic getting the backseat of HIS OWN FUCKING GAME.

FUCK I'M GETTING PISSED. 

Calm down...no need to bold, increase text size and caps lock to put your point across...

But I do agree with you with the lack of Modern stages that Sega has revealed so far. We've seen a lot of Classic and Avatar, but only 1(.5) Modern.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually think I'll enjoy this more than Lost World,  because my enjoyement will mostly come from the whole experience (playing+the story+collecting stuff+the music etc) but damn how do you make Sonic Generations 0.5 in 2017 haha

4 minutes ago, McGroose said:

"Well, maybe you should consider not buying the game". That's some real snarky shit right there. Can't help but feel for the little guy on the SSMB that actually does like

Has anyone done that in here? 

Also if people who do like the game are complaining at those who don't, maybe they should make the argument explaining why its great?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, MudHunter said:

I actually think I'll enjoy this more than Lost World,  because my enjoyement will mostly come from the whole experience (playing+the story+collecting stuff+the music etc) but damn how do you make Sonic Generations 0.5 in 2017 haha

That reminds me of how some people were asking for a Generations 2 a year or two back. Well...

4 minutes ago, Dizcrybe said:

Really though, talk about QTEs being glorified cutscenes. At least in other games with QTEs you make a series of button presses. Here? Just one at the very end and you're good to go.

The sad part is, we dont even know if you can fail these QTEs, the double boost ones you can fail with utterly no consequence.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, nilesdobbs said:

Has anyone noticed that you can change Wispons and characters midway through the stage?

That's the Rental Avatar feature. If you use it, then you can switch between your Avatar and another (most likely randomised) for a level or boss.

11 minutes ago, Dizcrybe said:

Not only that, but there seems to be no consequences at all from 'failing' these ones, aside from losing bonus points. They just look so pointless in this game.

6 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

The sad part is, we dont even know if you can fail these QTEs, the double boost ones you can fail with utterly no consequence.

Well, aside from losing Fist Bump's vocals during the segment.

...No, wait. That's not a consequence at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

There was at least one video of the Avatar failing the GHZ QTE back at E3. The consequence? No bonus points.

I mean, I honestly think I prefer it this way.These sorts of QTE are bad design and shouldn't be in the game. But as long as they are here, it's good that you don't get punished for failing what's essentially a cutscene.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Has anyone done that in here? 

Also if people who do like the game are complaining at those who don't, maybe they should make the argument explaining why its great?

I could've sworn you've done that before, either you or Diogenes That's actually why I mentioned that. Sorry If I'm mistaken, but I know someone did here before.  

Lmao, people outside of youtube are saying that Forces is great? That's just the exact opposite extreme of everyone saying that Forces is horrible. I don't think either opinion is true in that regard. I doubt some people here think that the game is great, they just don't think it's dogshit. Anyone arguing that the game is great, good luck to them.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

I'm guessing you drop onto a lower route if you miss this one, since the player is dropped right next to a red star ring after completing it. It's hard to imagine anyone actually missing the QTE, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here are the lyrics I could make out, if anyone's interested:

Who is it we're fighting for?

Inside this crazy fire storm

No one's left to save the world

In the distance I see the light of hope

Shining

??????? lose it all

No surrendering, we will get- *cut off by QTE*

????? to win back the world

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Dizcrybe said:

That reminds me of how some people were asking for a Generations 2 a year or two back. Well...

Yeah. Generations 2. Not Generations 0.5 :P

7 minutes ago, Forterror-Metallix said:

Here are the lyrics I could make out, if anyone's interested:

Who is it we're fighting for?

Inside this crazy fire storm

No one's left to save the world

In the distance I see the light of hope

Shining

??????? lose it all

No surrendering, we will get- *cut off by QTE*

????? to win back the world

Glad they improved their lyric game. Remember Park Avenue?

Edited by nilesdobbs
Grammar

My heart was racing the entire time ibeas watching this . I am beyond excited and pumped for this game.  Lord the 7th can't come fast enough

3 minutes ago, McGroose said:

I could've sworn you've done that before, either you or Diogenes 

Ok wow. Now this is beyond petty.

Yes I did say that to someone... after they said they would have to switch their brain off in order to enjoy the game.

You wanna try this line of argument again or shall we just assume the hole you've dug yourself is deep enough?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

30 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

It's just a straight line with absolutely nothing happening apart from automated segments.

Well, yeah, this level could be a bit better if we had more active enemies and 3D segments, but I still think that it's far from being completely awful. The Drill Wispon looks very fun to use, imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Cayenne said:

The Drill Wispon looks very fun to use, imo.

You press a button and skip out huge segments or instantly pass through enemies without any thought or additional input from yourself.

How do you get any enjoyment from that other than the visual effects?

• Thumbs Up 1