Awoo.

Sonic Forces - Space Port Gameplay

Patron

6 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

to stop  Dr Eggman from destroying the world. That “literally” DOES sound like something like Gens.

That's like every other game in this franchise. The only part of your argument that makes sense is:

6 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

The story, at its very core: Classic Sonic teams up with Modern Sonic

This part. This is the only one which makes sense.

And let us not compare the weakest story in the franchise with a really good one.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Limit Breaker Diamond said:

And let us not compare the weakest story in the franchise with a really good one.

We don't know how good Forces will be

I feel like saying "it's exactly the same as long as you ignore anything that doesn't involve Sonic and Eggman" is kind of selling both stories short.

I mean by that logic then literally every Sonic game has the same plot because it's just "Sonic tries to save everyone from Eggman's actions". Sonic Unleashed is about that. Sonic 3 is about that. Sonic Colors is also about that. Are we saying all three of those games share the exact same plot? Because if so, there's no reason to pass any of this off as an issue on Forces' part specifically. Classic Sonic is the only plot element they share.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, KHCast said:

Well, Mania uses their presence in a story driven way as well, and the music gets remixed vs new songs added is fine, since the music given in Forces so far imo is bland and boring outside like two songs. Whether they give story purpose and make them feel more like locations vs levels is ultimately still pointless, they're still using the levels for nostalgia's sake first and foremost. Mania doesn't get as much crap for it since it's very clear about that and not trying to dress it up.

Yes, I know, but the story context (read: sense of place) starts to  fade away after a certain point. And many of the other nods are small little things. But I agree that Forces gets too much hate for doing what Adventure, Adventure 2, the whole Advance series, etc., also did.

6 hours ago, Creep Dude said:

I don't get why we're arguing about this either...

I just find it baffling how we're reaching to a point where people comparing the plot to Generations.

Someone called Forces a ‘cinematic platformer’. A game with a story as deep as Another World or a similar adventure game.

I was clearly being hyperbolic and humourous about it, but my point was that story and plot was never the key driving force behind Sonic the Hedgehog, and to say the story behind ANY of the games in the series even touches the level of depth of an adventure game like Another World is pretty laughable.

3 hours ago, Kellan said:

And we’re discussing the story because you brought up the story’s perceived lack of quality as the reason why the game could not be considered cinematic.

I didn’t bring up the story, actually. Cinematic = plot, story. I’m saying no Sonic game has ever really earned ‘cinematic’ status, and Forces certainly won’t be the first either. The whole ‘cinematic’ argument is just a transparent attempt to explain away why the game looks terrible. “Who needs gameplay anyway, there’s a cutscene!”

3 hours ago, Limit Breaker Diamond said:

That's like every other game in this franchise. The only part of your argument that makes sense is:

This part. This is the only one which makes sense.

‘The only part that makes sense in your argument is your core point.’ Okay.

3 hours ago, Limit Breaker Diamond said:

People thought Sonic 06’s story was going to be good, too. Then it came out. Point is, whenever SEGA and Sonic Team try to do this big apocalyptic story in the vein of 06, Shadow (and Forces seems to follow the trend) it always backfires. It comes across as the story equivalent of three kids standing on their shoulders in a suit pretending to be an adult.

Edit: To be clear I’m not saying that Sonic should never have an ‘epic’ storyline. I’m saying it should act its age with it (see: Advance series, Sonic Mania, Sonic 3&K) and not give the corny presentation of a third-rate anime.

—————

Anyway this has been derailed long enough, let’s get back on track - the gameplay video :) And, honestly I have to say that the Avatar gameplay seen here doesn’t seem vastly improved on what I played at Gamescom a few months back. Maybe it will play better in person, but I’m really not enjoying watching the player stop every five seconds to seemingly perform an action.

• Thumbs Up 4