Awoo.

Sonic Forces - Space Port Gameplay

Patron

9 minutes ago, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

Well, I think this looks fine, personally, but some of the comments are astounding and overly negative to me. I mean, I don't see what is so bad about a level being average and linear. I think some people set their expectations way too high, like someone else said. You guys should know you can't always get what you want, right, and you have to manage your expectations, right? I know this is Sonic Team, but these are different people from the ones working on Generations directing the game here, so of course things are going to be different here. There are consequences for setting expectations way too high to the point you think something looks bad when it likely isn't as bad as you say. It just isn't what you want, and that is not bad. Plus, what if the Custom Hero levels are supposed to look that way compared to classic and modern Sonic's levels?

I think fair standards for Sonic in 2017 (and after being allegedly developped for 4 years) is atleast Sonic Generations' level design.

Why did they revert back to Colors' level design? 

• Thumbs Up 6

16 minutes ago, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

You guys should know you can't always get what you want, right, and you have to manage your expectations, right? I know this is Sonic Team, but these are different people from the ones working on Generations

So basically what you're telling me is that i'm wrong for expecting improvents from a game that came out 6 years ago instead of regression(If you need my explanation of why this is a regression check this post)?

7 minutes ago, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

Plus, it is not wrong to have low standards, too. There are benefits for not expecting much, too, you know.

So basically what you're saying is that we should just stop expecting quality and just be content with what they give us. Yeah that's a great message to developers. "Let's just make whatever, the fans will buy it anyway."

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, Diogenes said:

My expectations have been as low as I thought they could be and yet they still find ways to disappoint me.

If enough people buy bad games, Sonic Team has no reason to improve.

First, off, if that is the case, then it depends on the person.

Second, bad is opinion based. Not everyone thinks what they see is bad. I have seen plenty of people on other sites who like what they see, such as on Youtube. Not that you'd are, but that doesn't mean they are bad for liking it.

1 minute ago, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

Well, I think this looks fine, personally, but some of the comments are astounding and overly negative to me. I mean, I don't see what is so bad about a level being average and linear. I think some people set their expectations way too high, like someone else said. You guys should know you can't always get what you want, right, and you have to manage your expectations, right? I know this is Sonic Team, but these are different people from the ones working on Generations directing the game here, so of course things are going to be different here. There are consequences for setting expectations way too high to the point you think something looks bad when it likely isn't as bad as you say. It just isn't what you want, and that is not bad.

So... we should just accept and ignore the game has what we think is extremely subpar design?... what? Then why should anybody even buy it when there is better competition for our wallets out there? This game's contents isn't a case of just being different. All platformer/adventure games are different, but we still judge them with other past games of the same genre in mind. That doesn't give a game a free pass in quality. I know for a fact I don't set my expectations to high with Sonic... if I did I probably would find myself rarely ever enjoying any of the games. Forces is simply lower quality in gameplay then normal for Sonic games from what has been shown as of yet. It's not such a impossible thing to believe.

6 minutes ago, pppp said:

So basically what you're telling me is that i'm wrong for expecting improvents from a game that came out 6 years ago instead of regression(If you need my explanation of why this is a regression check this post)?

So basically what you're saying is that we should just stop expecting quality and just be content with what they give us. Yeah that's a great message to developers. "Let's just make whatever, the fans will buy it anyway."

I never really said any of that. You just took it the wrong way.

You can still give criticism and try to push for better, even if those with "low standards" are numerous and likely to drown out the minority here. But that doesn't mean you should give up, at least.

3 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

So... we should just accept and ignore the game has what we think is extremely subpar design?... what? Then why should anybody even buy it when there is better competition for our wallets out there? This game's contents isn't a case of just being different. All platformer/adventure games are different, but we still judge them with other past games of the same genre in mind. That doesn't give a game a free pass in quality. I know for a fact I don't set my expectations to high with Sonic... if I did I probably would find myself rarely ever enjoying any of the games. Forces is simply lower quality in gameplay then normal for Sonic games from what has been shown as of yet. It's not such a impossible thing to believe.

Again, I did not say that, nor did I say this game gets a free pass in anything. There may be other reasons why you don't like what you see, and I am aware it could have been better, but it is not the end of the world if the game is like this. It's your choice. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's your loss.

This Is the sonic fanbase. Some are hyped for this game some are not.  if some want to grit their teeth and dislike anything shown...ok.if some want to dance in the street with joy ok. At the end of it all we love a naked blue speedy hedgehog

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

I never really said any of that. You just took it the wrong way.

24 minutes ago, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

You guys should know you can't always get what you want

Pray tell, in which way does this second quote mean anything aside from me realizing i need to accept that I can't always expect quality level design?

• Thumbs Up 1

As usual, they don't fail to disappoint lol.

First of all, that boss battle is just awful, what is even going on? It's a mess. It's so basic.

The "Not-Chemical Plant" stage is pretty in line with what I was expecting since the beginning.

The frozen theme isn't played well, the stage doesn't fit with the Sonic aesthetics, the level design is as awful as can be.

There's a 20 seconds cutscene right in the middle of it that totally kills replayability, i'ts gonna get boring after the first time. Really boring.

Oh and lol, that long lightdash ring trail at the end.

"I'm tired of playing this bad game"
"Here, press this button, it'll play itself".

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

but it is not the end of the world if the game is like this. It's your choice. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's your loss.

Maybe you should read some of my other posts? I don't hate everything the game has to offer. There's enough about the game that interests me just barely... I never acted like it's the end of the world for the game to be not great. I just think it could easily be WAY BETTER and it confuses me to no end with many of their poor design choices here.

• Thumbs Up 9

1 minute ago, Razule said:

Dude, no. I'm sorry, but if the only defense you can think of "your standards are too high" you've already lost. Sonic used to be one of the greats, now they're pushing out mediocrity. This isn't a good thing. This will never be a good thing. This should not be something you should be okay with, especially when they released a much better game six years ago.

Yes, they CAN make whatever game they want! :D We can still talk about it's problems though. 

I never said you couldn't talk about its problems, but apparently, from what I have seen on other sites, not everyone sees it as mediocre. Plus, Generations WAS six years ago. For all we know, the director of that game was set to direct that one game only and  that's it. It is just a guess, of course, but the director for this game seems to have a different style. Simply put, you can't always get what you want. Life just works that way. You can fight to get what you want, but in the end, there is no guarantee you'll get it, and that is not always a bad thing considering this is a video game we are talking about here.

Just now, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Maybe you should read some of my other posts? I don't hate everything the game has to offer. There's enough about the game that interests me just barely... I never acted like it's the end of the world for the game to be not great. I just think it could easily be WAY BETTER and it confuses me to no end with many of their poor design choices here.

Finally, something I can understand. Even I admit this game could have been better in plenty of areas. But the flaws don't bother me much. Is it a bad thing? I don't think so.

1 hour ago, Wisphead said:

Well, one and a half with the Pyramid stage and...

Wait.

Well shit, we really haven't seen anything about Modern Sonic proper and the game is less than a month away.

Holy SHIT SEGA fire your marketing team, learn how to market your FUCKING GAME.

Okay this last part totally bugs me.

"I wish Sega would actually show off more of the game, it coming less than month"

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

*most of the newest videos are sonic forces related and indeed does try to show off more*

"WOW GET FIRED ASSHOLES"

Chill

• Thumbs Up 6

8 minutes ago, pppp said:

Pray tell, in which way does this second quote mean anything aside from me realizing i need to accept that I can't always expect quality level design?

I just said some people's expectations were too high. I obviously don't mean all, but that doesn't mean you should accept what is thrown at you. You can still fight it if you wish. It is just that there is no guarantee you'll get it. If I wanted to say just accept it, I would have said so directly.

This looks pretty terrible. I've been pretty on-the-fence about Forces up until now and have tried maintaining a neutral (in an uncaring sort of way) disposition, but I think this level footage is the last bit of evidence I need for me to not play the game at all, let alone buy it. I'll skip this just like I skipped Shadow, 2006, and the two storybook games.

• Thumbs Up 9

1 minute ago, Sonikko said:

My expectations were quite low actually lol. And they managed to disappoint me.

I think nobody in the fanbase was expecting the best game ever released in the history of videogames, but this game is struggling to reach the bare minimum.

EDIT: As soon as we saw the boost, I think everybody here expected Generations 2.0.

We got Lost World with a boost instead, how nice.

And there are other reasons why you may not like it. The expectations thing was just one of 'em. No need to get into those other reasons now, aside from the level looks average and linear, which may mean worse depending on the person.

At the end of the day we're all our own people and make our decisions and have our own opinions (for every person that likes something, there may be somebody who dislikes it and vice versa), so if you decide to buy Forces and enjoy it to the fullest possible extent, good for you. But please don't try to drag the people who don't like the game down in the mud by insinuating that it's wrong for them to be so harsh with this games' myriad of problems that they see with the game, just because you don't seem to see/acknowledge them as problems.

The game has nice presentation, that's the best thing I can say about it... the level design here is even more bland and linear than I've seen with the rest of the game, and I hate QTEs so the more I see the worse it gets for me.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just saw the boss fight tease. Holy wow that was amazing!!!! Loved the music and world shift. Good Lord help me it's to good. Seems  infinite will be one of those on and off bosses in the game. Glad I got this preorder for all that systems now.

28 minutes ago, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

I just said some people's expectations were too high. I obviously don't mean all, but that doesn't mean you should accept what is thrown at you. You can still fight it if you wish. It is just that there is no guarantee you'll get it. If I wanted to say just accept it, I would have said so directly.

Like Razule said, It's not ok to not have high expectations, cause if we don't, then developers have no reason to try harder. This is exactly how we got the bad Sonic games.

If you can look at Modern Seaside Hill and Space Port and not be disappointed then honestly I don't know what else to tell you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, the spaceport gameplay looks slightly better from what we've seen earlier.

But Infinite's boss fight looks too easy and simple. 

1 hour ago, GUN Commander said:

Believe me, I try. I read the complaints and cross reference with the gameplay, see things from a different point of view, y'know?  and.... I honestly just don't see anything heinous.

The level is a straight line and very automated. How is it hard to see why people aren't on board with that?

37 minutes ago, DanisWhite said:

Okay this last part totally bugs me.

"I wish Sega would actually show off more of the game, it coming less than month"

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

*most of the newest videos are sonic forces related and indeed does try to show off more*

"WOW GET FIRED ASSHOLES"

Chill

Love how you took out of context his point to make it sound as if he means " in general show off more forces gosh" when he's specifically referring to modern and classic 

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, pppp said:

Like Razule said, It's not ok to not have high expectations, cause if we don't, then developers have no reason to try harder. This is exactly how we got the bad Sonic games.

If you can look at Modern Seaside Hill and Space Port and not disappointed then honestly I don't know what else to tell you.

What makes you sure the developers in this case didn't try harder regardless of standards, though?

Besides, it is not that bad if others have low expectations while yours are high. This is just a video game fire crying out loud.

Aside from all that, this game doesn't need to be like Generations to be approved. Some people, for different reasons, are just not satisfied. That is not bad in itself, but I don't believe personally that being OVERLY negative is going to help much.