Awoo.

Sonic Forces - Space Port Gameplay

Patron

6 minutes ago, Nix said:

I'm not sure where this "Colors was never good" revisionist history came from, but it's silly.

I didn't say that. In fact Colors is one of my favorite Sonic games. But Generations improved on Colors which is why I think it's fairly reasonable to expect that a 2017 Sonic game improve on a 2011 game. But for Forces it's not the case which is a shame. If I play the game I'll probably find it alright, but it's a real shame that my feelings for this game are probably just gonna be "eh it's fine".

• Thumbs Up 4

Well the background and design looks nice visually, and I like the music because vocals but...

Dat gameplay man. There is nothing good here imo, nothing. It looks boring and unfun. Worse than Sonic Colours, hell worse than SLW even! That actually looked fun to play (at least the first few levels were)! Sonic Forces just looks so boring and bland, I can’t. 

So glad I’m not buying this day one. Definitely waiting on a cheaper copy, even at the low price it’s at now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hm, I really wonder whether Forces would sell in 6 months (or in a year) for as much as would Mania sell. 

EDIT: Steam really made my day. After buying Mania, now looking at Forces and there is "It is similar to a game you played: Sonic Mania" :joy::joy::joy:  

How dare you.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

I'm definitely more in the camp that's really excited for this game, and all of this new footage that gets released just gets me even more hyped to play it.

I definitely have problems with the game and criticisms, but for me the positives really outweigh the negatives.

And I genuinely don't know the answer to this, but why are QTE's hated so much? To me, they don't seem like that big of a deal.

5 hours ago, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

What makes you sure the developers in this case didn't try harder regardless of standards, though?

Man, if this is them trying then I don't even wanna imagine if they weren't.

5 hours ago, ScaryCrystalSkull said:

I don't believe personally that being OVERLY negative is going to help much.

First of all no one aside from a few select ones here are negative 100% of the time on Forces. I in particular am curious about the story and am loving the music that's been shown.

But you know what also doesn't help much? Being OVERLY positive. 

People who flat out ignore problems and just say "AMAZING BEST GAME EVER!" every single time something gets revealed need to start actually demanding more from their games aside from visual thrills.

Fortunately from what I can see, not many in this forum belong on either extreme.

12 minutes ago, superman43 said:

Hm, I really wonder whether Forces would sell in 6 months (or in a year) for as much as would Mania sell. 

EDIT: Steam really made my day. After buying Mania, now looking at Forces and there is "It is similar to a game you played: Sonic Mania" :joy::joy::joy:  

How dare you.

Mania actually didn't sell as well as everyone thought it would. It didn't even break 500k yet. It's surprising, as I thought it would be a hit.

1 minute ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

And I genuinely don't know the answer to this, but why are QTE's hated so much? To me, they don't seem like that big of a deal.

They aren't particularly engaging or relevant to the gameplay. In Forces, the QTEs are single button presses after cutscenes that interrupt the gameplay for over ten seconds.

Even if you don't have an issue with that, surely you can see why others would? And I have to ask, wouldn't you rather be in control of what was happening?

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Love how you took out of context his point to make it sound as if he means " in general show off more forces gosh" when he's specifically referring to modern and classic 

Custom Character is the main thing of forces, of course they would want to show it off more. It would literally start up a reverse complaint if they showed off more modern and classic instead. "Okay what's the point of the custom character" "Can we see more of them" and vice visa. 

I understand this level kinda sucks but that's a whole different thing. Like it or not, the biggest thing of Forces IS the custom character. That's the "bigger" thing to market at the moment.

I think they're just lazy at this point. This zone looks like a mess, the same robots are plastered everywhere. Can't they just create a variety of robots?

The train segment is a wasted opportunity to add a quick-time event or something.

But I still think is not terrible, though. Just meh. I still think this game will be at least decent, regardless.

5 hours ago, pppp said:

Man, if this is them trying then I don't even wanna imagine if they weren't.

First of all no one aside from a few select ones here are negative 100% of the time on Forces. I in particular am curious about the story and am loving the music that's been shown.

But you know what also doesn't help much? Being OVERLY positive. 

People who flat out ignore problems and just say "AMAZING BEST GAME EVER!" every single time something gets revealed need to start actually demanding more from their games aside from visual thrills.

Fortunately from what I can see, not many in this forum belong on either extreme.

Maybe 100% percent of the time is a stretch, but at times, that does happen.

Also, what if those "problems" aren't bothersome or even problems to other people like they are to some here? There aren't any problems to those people who don't get bothered by them, ya know. It's just their point of view. And I don't see being positive, neither overly positive as a bad thing. Some people are just too intricate and detailed, for a lack of better words, in what they want that they can't see why it doesn't bother others, or are too intricate that it hurts their ability to enjoy a game when things can be less of a problem (unless it truly doesn't suit their taste) when not exaggerated. But anyway, it can be good to be positive, even if it affects others' chances of being heard. But some people who don't like what they see are loud enough as it is.

7 minutes ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

From someone who enjoyed Unleashed and didn't hate it's QTEs, they just feel redundant here. The avatar already looks clunky to move around and his gameplay looks to be almost entirely comprised of running for a little bit before abruptly stopping and using your Wispon to blast through a long line of pointless enemies before running again. A QTE breaks up the flow of those stages even more, in my opinion.

plus in a game where people are shitting on it for tons of automation, sequences where you press a button and watch your character do something just isn't gonna fly 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

They aren't particularly engaging or relevant to the gameplay. In Forces, the QTEs are single button presses after cutscenes that interrupt the gameplay for over ten seconds.

Even if you don't have an issue with that, surely you can see why others would? And I have to ask, wouldn't you rather be in control of what was happening?

I guess, to me, they just seem like another 'form' of gameplay in whatever game they're in. Not the most involved one for sure, but not inherently bad or negative either.

And yeah, I can definitely understand why others have an issue. I just happen to disagree that it's an issue, but hey, that's just my opinion on the matter.

With regards to being in control of what's happening, I definitely want to have SOME control in a game for sure. I don't have to have 100% control at all times and in all instances for me to enjoy a game, though. I'm one of the few people I think that really likes cutscene-heavy games. xD As long as the WHOLE game isn't just sitting back and watching stuff happen, I'm generally pretty happy with more passive parts being in video games.

5 minutes ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

They're lazy gameplay. Instead of coming up with interesting set pieces using the game's actual gameplay, they ask for arbitrary button presses to activate cutscenes showing your character doing something that looks interesting.

It's not that they're bad 100% of the time, it's not terrible if they're used to activate a special finisher on a boss or something, but they're something lazy developers can use to make a game look flashy without having to put in the effort of actually having substance.

Just now, DanisWhite said:

Custom Character is the main thing of forces, of course they would want to show it off more. It would literally start up a reverse complaint if they showed off more modern and classic instead. "Okay what's the point of the custom character" "Can we see more of them" and vice visa. 

They could, perhaps, show them all equally.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 minutes ago, nilesdobbs said:

Mania actually didn't sell as well as everyone thought it would. It didn't even break 500k yet. It's surprising, as I thought it would be a hit.

I think that even that is an achievement of Mania Team. Look at sales of Android Sonic CD, 1 and 2 and Steam Sonic CD. And they cost and did cost almost nothing.

11 minutes ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

You watch a video... then have to push a button to keep watching a video.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, nilesdobbs said:

Is that 500k across all platforms or just on one?

12 minutes ago, superman43 said:

PERSONALLY speaking, I think Forces might actually sell pretty well. Whereas Boom, well, people had opinions on, and Lost World left people with some bewilderment since it came after Generations was riding high. Forces, apart from the negativity here, DOES seem to have a group of people excited for it, which I did NOT see with the past few games. PLUS, Forces is multiplatform, not tied to one particular family of systems (especially the Wii U, which, as we know, wasn't exactly the biggest hit.). People seemed to get more excited with the Persona costume as well as the Episode Shadow DLC, and there are people out there who are really into the "Create-a-character" thing, so that's got that going for it too. The reduced price is sure to catch the eye of some as well, especially during the holiday shopping season, along with the presence of a physical copy. All told, this might sell better than people think.

5 minutes ago, DanisWhite said:

I understand this level kinda sucks but that's a whole different thing. Like it or not, the biggest thing of Forces IS the custom character. That's the "bigger" thing to market at the moment.

If he's really the main selling point, why is Sonic dead center of the box art? Also, they could, yknow, evenly balance showing off all sides of the game. The game is trying to market to 3 different groups, maybe give each of them a fair amount of attention?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Oh c'mon Dio, you know how all the levels are a minute long! If they did that, we would know like 85 percent of the game.

14 minutes ago, superman43 said:

I'm pretty sure it'll sell decently, but definitely not with the same target audience as Mania -  it's pretty clear they're going all-in with the younger 6-12 year old crowd, and by the looks of youtube comment sections it'll probably be a big hit with them lot, especially with the holidays coming up fairly soon and parents needing something to bung under the Christmas tree.

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

If he's really the main selling point, why is Sonic dead center of the box art? Also, they could, yknow, evenly balance showing off all sides of the game. The game is trying to market to 3 different groups, maybe give each of them a fair amount of attention?

Also read above

Just now, nilesdobbs said:

We don't have any hard numbers for Mania outside of SteamSpy for the PC version (which I assume you're referring to, those numbers are just below 120K). It's also worth pointing out said PC version didn't exactly start out on the greatest foot, it was delayed for two weeks after the other versions of the game at the last minute, and then had the controversy of Sega adding Denuvo DRM into that version without telling anyone prior.

Outside of Steamspy, we do know that Mania has been doing well in the charts on the Nintendo eShop (coming in at #1 in August and #2 in September for both NA and Europe). It's actually still in the top ten best-selling eShop Switch games in the NA eShop. On the PlayStation Store, Mania also charted in the top ten downloaded PS4 games in August, charting at #3 in NA and #8 in Europe.

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

They're lazy gameplay. Instead of coming up with interesting set pieces using the game's actual gameplay, they ask for arbitrary button presses to activate cutscenes showing your character doing something that looks interesting.

It's not that they're bad 100% of the time, it's not terrible if they're used to activate a special finisher on a boss or something, but they're something lazy developers can use to make a game look flashy without having to put in the effort of actually having substance.

See, I just don't see the implementation of them as 'laziness' on the part of the game developers. It just seems like a stylistic choice that they made, one that doesn't carry any inherent negative or positive connotation.

That's actually one of the main things that I really don't like about a lot of the criticism that Sonic Forces gets - accusations that the team behind it are being lazy, or are talentless, or aren't putting in actual effort. I just don't see that at all - to me, seeing everything that's been released about Sonic Forces, I dunno.. I feel like it's a breath of fresh air. I see excitement and passion, not just going-through-the-motions and just doing whatever.

But that's the way *I* see it, and I guess I can kinda see how other people could see it differently... but that's a big pet peeve of mine, throwing 'no talent' or 'no effort' or 'laziness' at something when, to me, that clearly isn't the case.