Awoo.

Sonic Forces - Rental Hero Gameplay

Patron

Also Infinite not reacting fast enough could just be seen as the avatar having some effect on him because he doesn't really want to hurt the avatar.

I mean in the cutscene we saw in the story trailer he warps into the avatar's personal space more so to instill fear. Granted the scene ended there but if Infinite hasn't attacked the avatar there when we get the complete cutscene then it may be proof he's having a hard time wanting to bring physical harm to the avatar. This is why it's being speculated that the avatar has more of a chance of defeating Infinite as opposed to Sonic out of the fact he's having a psychological affect on him.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Super Mechanio said:

Infinite just kinds of floats down to the ground, stands still for absolutely no reason, and lets you wail on him for a few seconds.

Like, I know bosses need to be vulnerable sometimes but this is just silly.

They should at least let him slip, bump on a wall, or something. He just looks really stupid. I hope this is not what the first boss really is when its released.

This wasn't the entirety of the actual boss fight, judging by how the video ended. So maybe things change as the actual fight progresses?

It doesn't look that bad to me personally, but if it changed as Infinite took more damage... I'd be pretty happy with that.

So illusion powers that hurt you confirmed?

So that's his whole stick, constructs that aren't real that hurt you?
Well, if it is an illusion, that would explain the lyric from his theme.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Oh yay, it's an early boss fight. Because who doesn't want to see the "I'm the most unbeatable villain alive" villain... get beaten early on in the game... all while standing there doing nothing...

Can't wait for him to run away saying "I'll let you live... for now..." like a bullish 12 year old who's mother just walked into the room, or something along those lines

It's certainly more complex than what I expected, given that the Zeti generally had one or two moves and that's it, but this is definitely a SLW boss. And exactly what I expected the game to feature. Fine from a boss fight standard, but terrible for a Sonic standard and impossible to impress with. And it'll give Infinite the perfect backdrop to become the pathetic loser that so many people pegged him for being. Fantastic stuff right there.

• Thumbs Up 5

Infinite's weakly animated 3D model awkwardly floating around and not reacting to anything reeeaaaallly undermines the intimidation factor they probably wanted this boss to have.

Really shouldn't make your big bad demigod villain look this lame and pathetic, especially when you're fighting him.

I said it in reply to a status update, but I feel it works to state here:

Gameplay and story segregation is painfully apparent here.

Sure, an easy early boss, but not with who you proclaim to be even better than Sonic. That does not work, and makes your character weaker.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Polkadi said:

I said it in reply to a status update, but I feel it works to state here:

Gameplay and story segregation is painfully apparent here.

Sure, an easy early boss, but not with who you proclaim to be even better than Sonic. That does not work, and makes your character weaker.

No, it means your character is even better-er than Sonic

• Promotion 1

18 minutes ago, Razule said:

No, it means your character is even better-er than Sonic

I was refering to Infinite...?

If Infinite could easily beat Sonic, that needs to be showcased through gameplay as well. His bosses should not be easy, they should be difficult. Not too difficult, of course, but just hard enough to present his powerful status. But if you instead have him as an easy boss, it can make Infinite appear weaker than he is, and breaks his character.

I hope his other bosses are at least harder.

• Thumbs Up 4

54 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

But if you instead have him as an easy boss, it can make Infinite appear weaker than he is, and breaks his character.

It depends on how its presented. Infinite could take this entire thing as a joke pre-fight and essentially just toy with the Avatar. Holding back the entire time, walking away after the fight without a scratch, regardless of how many hits Avi is able to land.

No matter how easy the boss fight is, Infinite's character is no worse for wear if it ends with you breaking your hammer Wispon over his head and he chuckles asking if that was supposed to hurt.

• Thumbs Up 6

12 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

It depends on how its presented. Infinite could take this entire thing as a joke pre-fight and essentially just toy with the Avatar. Holding back the entire time, walking away after the fight without a scratch, regardless of how many hits Avi is able to land.

No matter how easy the boss fight is, Infinite's character is no worse for wear if it ends with you breaking your hammer Wispon over his head and he chuckles asking if that was supposed to hurt.

For an easy and early boss, that would set things up for the rest of the game, and also give Infinite a different side to his personality instead of "edgy angst".

I do hope it'd be that, considering how they seem to be giving the Avatar some kind of relationship with Infinite.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, I do want to talk a little bit about the Rental Hero function.

First off, if the rental deal caters to your friend list, and not just the Forces community at large, then this is a brilliant addition. The same people who are interested in the CaC, and are interested in sharing their customs with their friends would be delighted by this kind of thing. Being able to pull in your friends OCs and play as them is pretty neat and fits in with the whole Forces vibe.

From a gameplay standpoint, this fits in ever better, as it essentially allows you to bring 2 species and two wispons to every stage. You can keep a bird character in your back pocket for its triple jump to help you traverse the more challenging jumping puzzles. Having a wolf in waiting lets you hot swap to make the most out of upcoming ring pits. Two Wispons lets you take advantage of more than the predefined shortcuts that a single weapon locks you into. You have choices. That's a good thing.

So I think this feature is a real winner. I'm still waiting to see if the character creator itself is ambitious enough for what it is trying to do, but I have to say from the sharing standpoint Sega has done a pretty good job. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Still though. Even if you're allowed to win to lose, there's a better way to do this and for a game built on cinematics it's a little silly that he's.... just floating there. Menacingly. 

hesjustfloatingthere.thumb.png.c64ea5ca8e72a857d41d7da057d85681.png

So there's an easy solution that games with stories do to show character's strength. They make them an impossible boss early in the game that you're meant to lose to. It gives you motive to keep playing and get better at the game. Megaman X did this with Vile in the opening stage, Kingdom Hearts did this on several occasions in the beginning of the game starting with your tutorial dream sequence. 

That would catch me by surprise even if they did that. Sonic has never had an impossible to beat boss before (I don't think the Hidden Palace encounter with Robotnik counts and even then it would still be fresh) and for a game where you're playing as a rookie it would fit pretty well to have this for an early encounter with Infinite and have Sonic rush in to help the Avatar.

But that's just it, did that actually come up as an idea in the production of the game? It feels like things are happening to fill in the story gaps since the story is the real meat of the content. Come to think of it, this isn't Sonic Generations 2. It's Sonic Lost World Adventure 3 without parkour. 

I'm sure interested in what this game was supposed to be instead of this now. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1