Awoo.

Sonic Force- 100 ring cap in "Easy Mode"

Dannymax440

4 minutes ago, StriCNYN3 said:

There's a cap, but according to the results screen, you still hold over more of your rings when you pass 100 anyway (This is an older build, though)

maxresdefault.jpg

If it's a build before the ring limit was introduced, then it's kinda useless as evidence. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@Tracker_TD Yea, just heading up a possibility. We'll just have to see the newest results screen to see if this more fall into place. If only Sega could stop cutting footage 10 seconds before the level ends.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now all this game needs is loot crates. [emoji14]

Edit: Just adding a little snark to all the Cac talk that was going on. It's pretty clear there will be items you can find and equip to customize your Buddy, but if there's a shop for it...well, see previous snark.

1 minute ago, Potada said:

Now all this game needs is loot crates. emoji14.png

You laugh, but with that low entry price for buying the game... :unsure:

2 hours ago, Mayor D said:

... .... are you being serious?

Of course it's a newer build. They're showing off content that wasnt in the EGX/Gamescom one.

And we know that build was newer because that had content locked out of the E3 one.

They could have made multiple builds around the same time. We have no solid evidence anyway, that is just you assuming it's a newer build.

As I said, unless Sonic Team or someone who actually owns the full game confirms, it's all up in the air. If this ring cap has been introduced, I bet there will be a shop item to uncap the rings. Shop items aren't new to Sonic. We had them since '06.

4 minutes ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

that is just you assuming it's a newer build.

Because there's so clearly enhancements that were not there before? Even a bug seen in the last build of the game appears to have been fixed?

Locking them is pretty weird. Like the whole 1 UP system is pretty antiquated so I get what they're going for, but there's still value in how it provides the player some positive reinforcement. Getting an extra life feels good, it tells you that you've been doing well, even if you may never need to rely on the life you earned. Likewise, seeing how many rings you managed to hold onto at the end of a stage is another way to meter your success. Capping them actually makes them feel quite a bit more arbitrary than they already are because it limits that positive impact the player feels while playing.

Plus that achievement thing is pretty dumb.

Edit: And nevermind I literally just read that NeoGaf thing.

Well, that does confirm that this game has difficulty levels (which is neat and a welcome addition. Lets the filthy casuals have their fun without messing with the core experience).

It also confirms that we wasted a whole bunch of time getting riled up over nothing. Whoo!

I wonder if there is an expert setting, or an Ex-Hard mode. That would be cool too.

• Nice Smile 1

Well I guess that's better than the alternative. But it's a bit odd; instant death has usually been a far bigger threat than damage, and I feel like that'd still be the case even without being able to recollect rings.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's amusing that faith in Sonic Team is so low that people were ready to jump to "cynical artificial ring cap to ensure cheevo grind" as an explanation before anything else.

Although in the absence of any real information I can see why everyone did. I feel like we know everything but also nothing about this game.

Also there are sixty seconds in a minute and sixty minutes in an hour in case anyone forgot.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 2

Sooo, select the other mode if I want to play a regular Sonic game?

Lol, I'm kidding, quite relived these are only seperate modes.

Just imagine all the rage and hell if you really had to play 1000 hours without getting hit once for 1 trophy.

• Thumbs Up 1

because the 100-ring limit only exists in the lower difficulty mode of the game.

Difficulty modes huh? I was saying the other week ago on here that I was hoping Forces had a hard mode to make the game less weak sauce...

I really hope one of the modes makes the enemy A.I super leveled up so they are not a joke anymore! Seriously give us players flat-out hell mode as a option.

So the ring cap is to balance an easy mode? Interesting... but I have to wonder what the thought process behind this new mode was. Standard levels have tons of rings, so regardless of whether getting hit takes you to zero or only takes 20 rings, you're almost never at risk of dying to regular damage in them; that suggests to me that this mode was intended more for boss fights. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the bosses we've seen so far have a total of much fewer than 20 rings in their arenas? If that's the case, then you'll die in 2 hits regardless of whether you're on the normal mode or this easier difficulty.

It's unusual for a Sonic game to have an easy mode. A lot of Sonic games do include hard modes, but the only one I can remember off the top of my head with an easy mode is Sonic Jam. This could mean that the game is harder than most ordinary Sonic games, but that seems a bit hard to believe given what we we've been shown so far. I just hope that it also has a hard difficulty as well, because that would add significant replay value.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wishful thinking but anyone else hope that higher difficulty modes actually make some of these levels less braindead? I'd actually be perfectly okay with this if the footage we've seen is just bottom tier difficulty (with level design to match) and the higher ones make things more complex.

Really who's going to play on easy mode anyway? If you're going for achievements that have no in-game value then you're probably good enough at platformers that any easy mode would be too boring an experience. It's probably just an inclusion for the young un's that want to try the game after watching their older sibling play it but aren't at the point where they're skilled enough to run through the entire game on their own. At least I presume that's the intention behind it.

I know the game looks piss easy to us as is, but if I can use my niece as an example here, she would probably appreciate a difficulty option like this. If you want an indication of her skill level at these kind of games, she's at the point where she still can't beat Chemical Plant Zone by herself (we were all there at one point, don't lie).

If anything a ring limit like that is probably there to encourage the player to actually try to play on harder skill levels, in which case that's not something new to games. Whether it will actually make a difference in game is yet to be seen so I'm willing to change my stance to it's crap like everybody else when I actually try the game for myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Crazy_Diamond said:

A lot of Sonic games do include hard modes, but the only one I can remember off the top of my head with an easy mode is Sonic Jam.

Team Rose from Heroes was an easy mode. Its also worth noting Cream in the Advance series was also along those lines because Cheese could rape everything she had a much easier way of dealing damage to bosses.

1 hour ago, Maxtiis said:

I know the game looks piss easy to us as is, but if I can use my niece as an example here, she would probably appreciate a difficulty option like this.

Sonic Team has been keen on aiming the Sonic Franchise at little kids for a while now. So to me this easy mode makes perfect sense. I'm even more stoked that they made a separate mode to include these changes, and not watered down or altered the main product, sacrificing what little difficulty is left in the game for the sake of younger consumers.

Everyone wins.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, -Justin- said:

What's the big deal about the cap anyways? You all are blowing this out of proportion.

Because they're essentially removing an essential part of the game that has been there since the series started and there was no need to change it in the first place. Don't fix something that isn't broken. 

I just don't understand why the Sonic Team has to make things so complicated. It just doesn't make any sense.

Edit: There's easy mode soooo.....

Edited by Joellui