Awoo.

Positive Things About Forces?

Polkadi~☆

I thought that the music, the story, and the avatar were the best parts of Forces. With the story in particular, though, I wish there had been MORE. I liked what was there, but it really did need to be much longer and much more in-depth.

For me, after I was done playing Sonic Forces... I had a massive smile on my face and general 'happy/good' feeling all over me. I felt like a kid again, and I loved it - that feeling continued for several days after I beat the game.

Did anyone else have a similar experience?

The Soundtrack. Specifically the music in the Avatar stages and the boss music. I can only remember a couple of the Classic and Modern stage music tracks in all honesty. 

I like the fact that notable set-pieces in the levels came back, even if some of them were lazy. The best one was the one in Capital City where you fly next to Infinite and he starts warping the city around you.

I like the fact that I got to see the characters I cared about again. They didn't do much but at least Silver got a bit of a fight scene out of it. I suppose. 

I liked listening to their dialogue even though a lot of it was pretty interchangeable. 

The Character Creator and Customization was really good. 

Uhm... I really love the idea behind the plot but I suppose that's not a good thing because it was wasted on this game...

I think that's about it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 3

4 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The Soundtrack. Specifically the music in the Avatar stages and the boss music. I can only remember a couple of the Classic and Modern stage music tracks in all honesty. 

I like the fact that notable set-pieces in the levels came back, even if some of them were lazy. The best one was the one in Capital City where you fly next to Infinite and he starts warping the city around you.

I like the fact that I got to see the characters I cared about again. They didn't do much but at least Silver got a bit of a fight scene out of it. I suppose. 

I liked listening to their dialogue even though a lot of it was pretty interchangeable. 

The Character Creator and Customization was really good. 

Uhm... I really love the idea behind the plot but I suppose that's not a good thing because it was wasted on this game...

I think that's about it.

Oh my god, yes! Silver's fight scene was one of my favorite cutscenes in the game! xD; Maybe I'm just being biased because he's my favorite character in Sonic, but... still. It's great to see him doing something again! And I loved that scene with the Avatar, too. It was really clever.

• Nice Smile 1

• 4 weeks later...

As of right now, I suppose it can be added that another positive thing about Forces is that it sold well. That makes me happy.

• Nice Smile 2

Finally!

•  The Avatar, something I never would've thought we'd get in a Sonic game, never mind a MAIN one. It felt really rewarding and it is pretty much the draw of the game. There are a few minor flaws there, but its still an impressive display. 
    • The Wispons were an interesting way to add in more replay value while also balancing what Buddy was actually capable of.  I just wish they got some exposition, easy as it would be.
  • Most of Modern Sonic's levels are pretty fun, particularly towards the end of the game. 
  •  Zavok. I've grown to appreciate what they were trying to do with him in the series and having him return in this game next to the other villains they picked makes that more apparent. Story-wise, he was one of the few things I was actually interested in while waiting the game came out, given his status as a recurring(read:manageable) villain beside Eggman that both stayed antagonistic without being inherently connected to him. Also, did you expect Zavok showing up again for a bossfight with a dubstep remix? 
  • The music direction. The synthesized instruments are pretty overused and the Classic tracks in particular are kinda screechy, but the songs themselves are pretty good for the most part. Special mention to Egg Gate, Ghost Town, Sunset Heights, Aqua Road, Infinite 2, Null Space, Classic Death Egg(while you're playing it), Imperial City, and that celestial 3rd final boss theme. 
  •  Getting to see a lot of characters return in the story again, with special mention to Omega and Chaos. Pretty stumped that Cream was left out though.
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Great music loved "Moonlight Battlefield (Aqua Road)"

Amy loved Sonic a lot more then in recent games thanks Sonic Team

Avatars, you can even dress up as Amy

& the speed.

I loved the Avatar and Infinite, and I want both of them to keep appearing in the future. The story was also pretty good, not the best I've seen but definitely a step up from the last few games. And while I don't care that much about graphics, the Hedgehog Engine 2 did its job quite well.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

I want to applauded the director guy or whatever his job is called.

The guy who was given a really big task (making epic story, Sonic, Classic and Avatar, bring all those heroes and villains) and clearly not enough money/time/or competent programers to achive it.

With Sonic 06 you have large HUBs, romance with Elise, pointless upgrades. Stuff I would call "Christ, someone wasted time/money/programmers/etc to make it, instead of fixing controls"

This game has short lenght, lacks bosses, cutscenes made of CODEC talk. Stuff called "Christ, this game needed more time/money/progrramers to be finished."

If that director fellow was ordered to put Classic, Avatar, all the villains, etc and had to make it work, then he really did the best he could. I mean look at the Resistance. Knuckles is a leader, Amy sorta-co Leader, Silver has a fight, Team Dark has DLC. You know why there is no Blaze in this game? Because that director fellow counted every penny and could either waste them on making her a background or realize she's from another dimension and it makes sense to miss her for once (only Chaotix make a crowd. Vector has a lot of dialouge though). And then he realized there is no money on Chaos. so he called Flynn to put him in second comic...

That's my theory anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

If that director fellow was ordered to put Classic, Avatar, all the villains, etc and had to make it work, then he really did the best he could. I mean look at the Resistance. Knuckles is a leader, Amy sorta-co Leader, Silver has a fight, Team Dark has DLC. You know why there is no Blaze in this game? Because that director fellow counted every penny and could either waste them on making her a background or realize she's from another dimension and it makes sense to miss her for once (only Chaotix make a crowd. Vector has a lot of dialouge though). And then he realized there is no money on Chaos. so he called Flynn to put him in second comic...

Don't forget he also left out Cream entirely.

The music.  A refreshing change of pace with Tomoya Ohtani bringing in more electronica/ stage vocal tracks seemed to set the mood for the stages. Reminded me somewhat of the same aesthetic found in Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 with attention to detail when things started happening midway through a stage. I currently have Fist Bump, Justice, & Virtual Enemies downloaded to my iPod Touch on repeat.

I also enjoy the fact that this is continuing a trend of featuring other artists aside from Crush 40 on a soundtrack. We've gotten some interesting artists aside from them as a go to now, which includes Cash Cash, Zebrahead, and talent from Jimmy Eat World & Hoobastank. I know a lot of fans like their work but they I haven't really cared for much of their music since Heroes & their rendition of Free from Sonic Free Riders felt like nails on a chalkboard.

Finally, even though they're just remixes, the tracks featured for the Episode: Shadow DLC were wonderful. Supporting Me & White Jungle are regular fixtures on my playlist & this just gives me a reason to play them some more.

Now if they had taken the same heartfelt approach to the level & game design as they did the music...

P.S. - I am all for SEGA continuing the trend of having an orchestral version of the main/sub themes in future titles. Beautiful touch.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

1 hour ago, KittyNakajima said:

I also enjoy the fact that this is continuing a trend of featuring other artists aside from Crush 40 on a soundtrack. We've gotten some interesting artists aside from them as a go to now, which includes Cash Cash, Zebrahead, and talent from Jimmy Eat World & Hoobastank. I know a lot of fans like their work but they I haven't really cared for much of their music since Heroes & their rendition of Free from Sonic Free Riders felt like nails on a chalkboard.

If you're looking for more artists that worked on Forces, check out Jon Underdown! He sings Fighting Onward and Virtual Enemies.

He's got a distinct voice, and he's worked on some pretty good tracks. His collaborations with Daiki Kasho are the best, where he performs to some of his tracks for the Gran Turismo franchise! 5OUL ON D!SPLAY is a good example of such.

1 hour ago, KittyNakajima said:

Now if they had taken the same heartfelt approach to the level & game design as they did the music...

Oh, if only... They went hard on this soundtrack (except for the Classic Sonic parts)

On 2/11/2018 at 6:56 PM, KittyNakajima said:

their rendition of Free from Sonic Free Riders felt like nails on a chalkboard.

Yeah, the singing there is really loud and waily.

Gee I must be crazy for enjoying "Free". I dunno, maybe it's just the fact I stand screaming men way better than screaming women when it comes to the music, though I can get it people don't like it either way. It's far more reasonable than the fact I seem to like screamed-out vocals by some degree after all.

That and it feels energetic song to me, I dunno why but it resonates with me as a whole.

Nah, I dunno, I do enjoy post Heroes Crush 40 too anyway. But then again, I suppose people've already started to notice my music taste is weird. :D Go figure.

Gee really, I seem to love the sound of wailing male singers, like 80's a-ha, or have you heard that 7'' version of "Misty Circles" by Dead or Alive? That's some wailing all right but I love it.

But yeah, some music in Forces I liked more than some other but it's still better than in some other games as a whole.

• Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, BlueSky said:

Gee I must be crazy for enjoying "Free".

Free is my least favorite cover by Crush 40, (mostly because it lacks a guitar solo that they always nail) but I'll still take it any day over the synth garbage that was 'Reach for the stars'. Which is ironic, because I like quite a lot of Cash Cash's songs.

I really enjoy the soundtrack. Spaceport and Imperial Tower being my favorite two songs. I really like Infinite's design and that his not some corrupted trope but just a genuine villain. The game as a whole is very gorgeous. And, while I have issues with it, at the end of the day it made me smile and I enjoy playing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I fucking love how Sonic's jumpball eminates a blue glow and reflects off the level around him. It's small but damn it's a nice touch. Looks sick in darker stages like Luminous Forest:

KBll0e4.png

Not on the Switch version sadly

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

You know, I just realized something: Big isn't in this game. While I like him, I know that plenty of people don't, that and he wouldn't add anything anyways. So in a way, that can be seen as a positive to the people that can't stand him.

Knuckles isn't dumb. Like, sure, he lost that contrast he had in Boom and post SA2 games and is now barely memorable, but at least he's true to his 2001 self. As an adventure fan I'm pleased.

Also, glad that the Chaotix return. Seeing these guys back just makes me happy and also makes me want Sega to make a playable Espio in the boost games, but NOOO, it has to be Sonic, Sonic, Edgy Sonic and recolor Sonic.

And, hey, at least the game is short.

25 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

If knuckles isn't dumb than he is the easiest gullible character in the series

Forces Knuckles is actually somewhat competent.

Although, I prefer the dumb one. Because, let's be real, Knuckles is boring as a guardian.

On 2/28/2018 at 12:58 AM, Harkofthewaa said:

You know, I just realized something: Big isn't in this game. While I like him, I know that plenty of people don't, that and he wouldn't add anything anyways. So in a way, that can be seen as a positive to the people that can't stand him.

This is going to sound odd, but I'm also glad Blaze and Cream weren't in the game either. Blaze probably would've been written the same way she was in 06 and Cream probably would've been told to stand back while the others fought.

• Fist Bump 1

On 3/3/2018 at 10:54 AM, RedFox99 said:

This is going to sound odd, but I'm also glad Blaze and Cream weren't in the game either. Blaze probably would've been written the same way she was in 06 and Cream probably would've been told to stand back while the others fought.

06?

To be fair, Blaze being left out actually makes sense. Not only does she live in an alternate dimension and thus would be completely untouched without Eggman and Infinite specifically messing with her domain, but she's had a habit of being portrayed as somewhat hypercompetent/overpowered outside of playable appearances and thus we'd have another "Tails can fight" situation except likely more aggressive.

Cream bothered me much more precisely because she was such a distinct mainstay(or majorstay) for a while and literally every other Generations character besides Blaze was present. Not to mention the scenario regarding Chaos I brought up before.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Cream bothered me much more precisely because she was such a distinct mainstay(or majorstay) for a while and literally every other Generations character besides Blaze was present. Not to mention the scenario regarding Chaos I brought up before.

At least after Blaze, Cream was added to the Speed Battle roster.

Just now, RedFox99 said:

At least after Blaze, Cream was added to the Speed Battle roster.

Yeah, I saw that. A friend of mine was happy to hear that.

On 2/28/2018 at 8:52 AM, A person, that exists said:

Edgy Sonic and recolor Sonic.

What's the difference?

• Thumbs Up 1