Awoo.

Positive Things About Forces?

Polkadi~☆

While I tend to shit on this game alot, truthfully and not-so-truthfully, I think that I can say a few things that I like.

I do enjoy a few pieces of music from the game, mainly the Infinite and Metal Sonic themes. I also do not dislike Infinite's design as many people do. I think that, with the right writing and character development, Infinite could have been a very enjoyable character. His backstory is lame, but I think the character design gets too much flak. Even the fact that his logo is on his shoes is so cheesy how can you not love that.

The fact that we have a modern Metal Sonic boss is also really nice. Metal Sonic is easily my favorite boss in the game.

Shadow is playable in most of the modern levels, a definite plus in my book. We should've had optional character models as unlockables since Generations and even Unleashed. Adventure DX did it first with Metal Sonic and it worked just fine.

The settings are all very gorgeous regardless of which version you have. Playing Green Hill Classic on a PS4 Pro, I absolutely love the visuals - they're a very nice blend of Lost World and Generations. I hope that Future Sonic games can keep a similar art style if possible, although I noticed that Chemical Plant was a minor downgrade in texture quality.

Metropolis is absolutely stunning, probably the most detailed level theme Sonic Team has ever created.

I know it causes quite a few continuity problems, but I prefer the idea of classic Sonic being an alternative universe Sonic instead of his younger self. That makes considerably more sense to me it helps make a clean distinction between Classic and Modern.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2

On ‎07‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 6:54 AM, DabigRG said:

What's the difference?

Edgy Sonic=/=Recolor Sonic

Because, let's be real, you have to try EXTRA HARD to make an edgy Forces avatar.

On 28 February 2018 at 3:24 PM, A person, that exists said:

Forces Knuckles is actually somewhat competent.

Although, I prefer the dumb one. Because, let's be real, Knuckles is boring as a guardian.

Perhaps one of the better elements of X was that they made Knuckles a guardian AND a buffoon. The smarts and whimsy were there.

Back on topic though, playing Forces, while it is rather derivative and bland in places, I do find kinda inoffensive as a result. Besides some cringeworthy attempts to be edgy in the English dub, the story in concept is cool and simplistic enough to lack non-stop pretentiousness (I mean come on, Eggman TOOK OVER THE WORLD at last) and the gameplay, while a mishmash of previous levels and gameplay styles for the most part, does at least get the good bits of that. Most of the dialogue isn't either unbearably cheesy and forced, nor is it too grim dark, in other words a gamer can sit through it. Forces isn't amazing and I don't get a strong urging to keep playing it, but I do find it enjoyable enough to pass some time.

Oh and the first 60fps Sonic game in ages (in fact one of the few 60fps 3D platformers as a whole in ages)>

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

5 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

Edgy Sonic=/=Recolor Sonic

Because, let's be real, you have to try EXTRA HARD to make an edgy Forces avatar.

Okay, so they are both Shadow. Just checking,

1 hour ago, E-122-Psi said:

Perhaps one of the better elements of X was that they made Knuckles a guardian AND a buffoon. The smarts and whimsy were there.

Yeah, if had to rank my interpretation of Knuckles(not counting StC yet), Sonic X would be pretty up there.

43 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Okay, so they are both Shadow. Just checking,

Yeah, if had to rank my interpretation of Knuckles(not counting StC yet), Sonic X would be pretty up there.

Granted, the way the others treated Knuckles in X was more than despicable given how little respect they give him.

4 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Granted, the way the others treated Knuckles in X was more than despicable given how little respect they give him.

Sonic X comic was a more compatible attempt at using Knuckles as such, helped by it not ramming the 'no loners/complainers' approach down your throat like a sociopath.

• Nice Smile 1

• 1 month later...

I recently turned Forces back on for just a bit and played around in it, and went back to watch the cutscenes from the game... and I know I'm in the minority on this site, but this game has my heart. I swear it does. It really does put a smile on my face and make me feel like a kid again.

I love the serious-mixed-with-SUPER-cheesy storyline, I love Infinite as a character, I love the music (including the individual character songs/vocal tracks AND the instrumental songs, like the menu theme and Avatar customization theme), I love seeing my custom character interact with Sonic, his friends, and the world... like, when I walk away from Forces, I walk away with positive feelings. Even though I have several problems with the game and even though it disappointed me in various areas... at the end of the day, I'm so glad that I bought and played it. It's on it's way to getting a special warm-and-fuzzy place in my heart. xD

On 10/19/2017 at 12:42 AM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Avatar could be interesting. Not something I specific wanted because I dislike games where you create a character and shove them into a story, the only two times I feel this worked at all was DB Xenoverse and Saints Row (Saints Row specifically because they knew to make the character apart of the actual story, have them talk, make jokes etc).

Def Jam Fight For New York says hi. 

Oh,  and you can equip him too with anyone's finisher(named Blazin' in the game). And have a choice of girl on top of that! 

On 2/9/2018 at 1:49 AM, Fire-N-Space said:

Great music loved "Moonlight Battlefield (Aqua Road)"

Amy loved Sonic a lot more then in recent games thanks Sonic Team

Avatars, you can even dress up as Amy

& the speed.

Downloaded Aqua Road and Imperial Tower's tracks and made them part of my racing theme while I'm tackling GT2's disc 2. That's how good it is. 

Other OST I find good:

Capital City

Lost Valley(after some weeks playing the mobile Forces game) 

Theme of Infinite(and his fight 1&2)

Final Boss theme,  cause its so epic. 

Light of Hope. No words. 

And the main theme.

On 2/10/2018 at 12:09 AM, DabigRG said:

Don't forget he also left out Cream entirely

She had to. Its a warzone. Yeah, Tails was in there, but he was depicted to have lost it when Sonic got collared. Charmy was with the Chaotix so its alright. 

Honest opinion:

I would have taken Green Hill,  Chemical Plant,  and all the locations from Unleashed and given them Bad Futures ala CD. (But his equipment is still new unlike CD) 

• Fist Bump 1

I don't know where else to put this, so I'm going to try here. I'm trying either one or both of these specific martial arts styled shirts in Sonic Forces, but I don't know which specific missions I need to do in order to unlock them. Does anyone who's unlocked them happen to know what they specifically did to do so?

Db-YnKsXkAEc1dG.jpg

Db-ScCAX4AAw9B9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally picked this up and finished it recently and I actually really enjoyed it. I go into it a bit more in my blog (cheap plug), but I honestly found there to be a lot of positives about Sonic Forces.

While I'm not happy about playing Green Hill and Chemical Plant again (seriously, they could bring back Emerald Hill just to at least try and spice it up), I liked how there were a lot of stages and most of them are quite short. So you just just throw the game in and play for a few hours and pop some achievements, get some S-ranks, and unlock gear really easily but it's not too short to too long; it's just the right length.

I also really liked how much attention to detail was included in the stages, the cutscenes (when there were some...), the bosses, and the Avatar creation suite. Sure, it's limited (and I actually would have preferred Boom-Sonic as a playable character in place of, or as well as, the Avatar) but it's good enough to create a semi-decent knock-off Furry.

I really enjoy blasting through stages as Modern Sonic; Classic Sonic feels a bit...sluggish and floaty in comparison...but I had a lot of fun with it, certainly as much as Sonic Generations or Sonic Colours. I just wish Sonic Team had done a bit more with it; more cutscenes, a bit more variety, and made the story a bit longer and involved, but by no means is it a terrible game or the worst Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really appreciated how they brought back a lot of characters in the series for the storyline, even if just for a few short lines. I think the Sonic world is very rich in personality and I miss when they would include more characters in the game storylines. They don't need to be in every game as that would be excessive and may be why people got sick of seeing them. But I think every now and then, just having them pop up in various forms is great for the series.

• 3 months later...

After almost an entire year (since the game came out/I played Forces all the way through), I still have Sonic Forces to thank for rejuvenating and re-energizing my roleplaying creativity and inspiration - I used to do Sonic roleplaying all the time back in high school, but that all died off until last year when the game came out.

I still only have positive thoughts and memories associated with playing the game, and I'm very happy about that. So... I kinda have Forces to thank for bringing me 'back' into the Sonic franchise after I fell out of it for the most part - before Forces, Adventure 2 was the most 'recent' game I actually played, even though I never actually beat it. Adventure 2 was the last Sonic game that I was super into/invested in and was also responsible for me getting started writing fanfiction back in middle school.

So I really have to thank Forces for existing and being something that I legitimately enjoyed - as obvious as it is that the game wasn't made for everyone and that the general consensus around it is that it's mediocre at best, I think it'll always be 'above mediocre' for me. Good, even - really good. I WISH it'd been better and that a lot of the problems with it were fixed or didn't exist, but for what we got... yeah, I was more than satisfied~

• Nice Smile 2

Graphics and framerate are the two big ones for me. I’ll also say that while it’s a mediocre game, it does leave you wanting more in a weird way. It’s not a frustrating mess that’s annoying to play, it’s just mind-numbinglu easy with short levels. It’s bland and forgettable rather than irritating, so I imagine most of those who bought and played it are still inclined to play the next one. 

18 hours ago, Scape said:

I unironically like Amy's voice in this

She barely had any lines, so I honestly can't rate anything beyond, "Ah, what's wrong Knuckles? Do you wanna play in the water?" 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious as to how many people on this site genuinely liked Forces. Not the people who thought it was okay, or mediocre, or were ambivalent towards it... but genuinely liked it.

I was considering making a thread asking that question... but I have a feeling it would either end up being combined with this thread, or so few people would show up and it would die off pretty quickly.

30 minutes ago, Bucket said:

I'm curious as to how many people on this site genuinely liked Forces. Not the people who thought it was okay, or mediocre, or were ambivalent towards it... but genuinely liked it.

I was considering making a thread asking that question... but I have a feeling it would either end up being combined with this thread, or so few people would show up and it would die off pretty quickly.

I wanted to like the game, it has many the elements I wanted from Sonic game and in very few aspects I still think it beats other games from at least last 10 years. Yes there are stuff I genuinely like about Forces and I think people are too harsh on it.

But as a whole package? As objectively as it's possible? As something I can't without hesitation recommend? I don't think anyone older than 12 can think it's really good game.

Simple reason: remove all bells and whistles (story, avatar, music, etc) and at it's rawest, Sonic Forces is Sonic Generations, only worse in almost every way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Depends on what you mean with " genuinely like it"
I do genuinely like playing it in terms of simple adreline arcade action thingy.
If I turn by brain off, or just play it as a "collect all items to unlock all customes"  kinda thing, it can be fun.

But yeah, soon as I turn by brain on, it's just overwhelming in how many oppurtunities it wastes and confused in what Sonic Team was even trying to do with this game.

I genuinely enjoy it for what it Doesn't do (Stupid puzzles and pace destroying gimmicks like Lost world and Colors did) but I'm dissapointed in so far what the game DOES do, as in, mostly flaunting around excelent ideas but not really executing any of them. Dunno if that counts as "Okay"  or" genuinely liking it"
I can recommend the game to those who enjoy walking simulators, at least.

• Nice Smile 2

On 9/21/2018 at 3:55 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

But as a whole package? As objectively as it's possible? As something I can't without hesitation recommend? I don't think anyone older than 12 can think it's really good game.

I'm not trying to be obtuse but you really could say that about nearly every 3D Sonic game.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 1:15 PM, Bucket said:

Hmm...

I did have fun time while playing it. Well, there are other Sonic games that I do love more, but I think I could say I like it.

I liked the fact they took steps to the direction I find more likeable than the past few games considering the story flow. And I did enjoy the fact it was quick to play and easy enough for me to actually play it, no slippery slope controls or to thin dropkill bridges. Fun playing with fast pacing.

I dunno really, I enjoyed it so I do seriously think I like it.

I dunno, I didn't care to start thinking about missed opportunities since I was more focused on what I got out of it already; the characters that actually took seriously their world and didn't try to break it with a sledgehammer.

I dunno, maybe I'm looking for different things than some other, but well, I did find enjoyment of it.

I think I like it.

Does anyone know why the Metacritic score for the Xbox One version of Sonic Forces, which is the version that I played, is higher than the scores for the other versions?

On 2/28/2018 at 6:24 PM, A person, that exists said:

Forces Knuckles is actually somewhat competent.

Although, I prefer the dumb one. Because, let's be real, Knuckles is boring as a guardian.

Let's be real Knuckles isn't competent for guarding the master emerald and his race legacy , let someone else handle the job . 

• 2 months later...

I really appreciated the return to multiple music tracks per stage, allowing motifs to change with the music. It reminded me of Sonic Adventure in that way. 

• Thumbs Up 2