Awoo.

What is the absolute most annoying part about the Sonic the Hedgehog fanbase for you?

nilesdobbs

15 hours ago, Natie said:

"Hhmm, this food tastes overcooked and terrible and just gave me food poisoning, but I'm not a chef so I guess I shouldn't complain."

Eugh, could we not do that? Everyone has a right to make an observation and opinion about media, even if they don't make it themselves. Just cuz you express your opinion with lots of confidence (or even snark) doesn't mean you're "acting like you know everything" or saying that "everyone who disagrees with you is stupid and bad". I think that mindset kinda contradicts the point of having this whole website for fans to discuss what they think about these games, no?

There's a difference between "observation and opinion" and making assumptions about something without knowing the actual process or the full story. For example, I've seen some fans cite a 2011 article where someone at SEGA says "Classic Sonic will only appear in Generations", and then point to this as an example of SEGA "lying to us and/or giving us mixed messages". The problem is that the statement that was made was said by someone that was part of an obscure division of SEGA, they're not working at SEGA anymore, and SEGA has completely changed both internally and externally since this statement was made. It's meaningless, yet it gets sourced anyway as proof of SEGA's incompetence, while not keeping in mind of the business process and decisions that have happened since. It's not the argument that I'm critiquing here. It's the case you're making for your argument.

There's also a difference between "confidence" and arrogance/snark. And yes, the snark is part of what I'm saying. It's not necessary. The arrogance is not necessary, either. It is very possible to make "observation and opinion" without doing so in a way that comes off as rude and arrogant.

Where did I say anything about game quality, anyway? While I should've said "game development" instead of "game design", the point remains. And again, it's not "I'm making an opinion" that is the point I'm making. It's "how I'm making an opinion" and "the case I have for that opinion".

• Thumbs Up 3

The fact that there's so many people willing to blame one another rather than blame the people at the top who put us in this undesirable position in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 4

Being labeled a "purist" or "hater" of some sort because you criticize a particular era of the franchise. Had quite a few experiences of people labeling me a classic purist all of sudden because I don't praise the adventure games. I don't see why someone has to suddenly go into that box because they aren't so fond of one part of the franchise.

People acting like you are saying they shouldn't like a game because you aren't so fond of what they like.

All the disgusting inflation, morbid obesity, pregnancy, big feet, mind control, fart, baby/diapers, and growing fetish. Like what the fuck is this shit?

Fans who say you aren't a "true sonic fan" because you don't eat up all the Sonic shit in the world.

When a Sonic game is looking like trash in the previews, you get a few fans that keep saying you are unappreciative and you need to wait until the game is released. Pretty much complain about people who are complaining. But it's expected for a Sonic fan to feel disappointed after so many mishaps.

"HIRE THIS GUY SEGA! HIRE HIM!"

After the success of Mania there was a few people who seemed pissed off over the fact that Mania was praised for being a good quality game. Out of spite they called it overrated because they are afraid that Sega will go all classic sonic games forever.

Had to do some quick cleaning. This topic isn't a sounding board for complaining about other communities.

6 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

For example, I've seen some fans cite a 2011 article where someone at SEGA says "Classic Sonic will only appear in Generations", and then point to this as an example of SEGA "lying to us and/or giving us mixed messages". The problem is that the statement that was made was said by someone that was part of an obscure division of SEGA, they're not working at SEGA anymore, and SEGA has completely changed both internally and externally since this statement was made.

I agree on disliking the lack of understanding on what's going on behind the scenes, but also this kinda thing happens all the time with like, every media fandom, dunno why that's pinned as a Sonic thing.

There's also a difference between "confidence" and arrogance/snark. And yes, the snark is part of what I'm saying. It's not necessary. The arrogance is not necessary, either. It is very possible to make "observation and opinion" without doing so in a way that comes off as rude and arrogant.

It can be rude and very annoying, even still I'm certain 90% of folks who express an opinion in a very vitriolic and/or sarcastic way aren't trying to tell you that "It's my way or the highway and anyone who doesn't share my same likes/dislikes are all bad for it!" (Hell, believe it or not, some do it that way just to make the situation a little funnier). I'm sure it probably feels that way to you, but unless someone actually says things to that effect, I don't really think the opinion is any more or less valid just cuz they made a lil snarky joke out of it or worded it kinda aggressively. I've certainly never seen anyone say "you're bad if you like/dislike this" seriously, but if you have then fair enough, I understand. It just seems like you're takin' this stuff a little too close to heart. 

Also, again, in nearly every fandom I see this dilemma a lot, so don't sweat it.

I sure hope everyone else didn't make those points already before the thread was cleaned up. 

Really the fact the fandom is basically unpleasable. It seems like no matter what Sega does it is positively the worst thing ever.

Creator Character: Fucking Oc Fanfiction Sega's awful!

Doing a completely serious story again: Infinite's GrimDark Edgy also Sonic made a single wisecrack so clearly Pontaff are still fucking everything up!

Honestly it reminds me of this guy I'd argue with on Bumbleking about Star Wars who just praised Palpatine as a structured and well done character and how him coming back to life in the EU and opening a blackhole with the Force wasn't stupid. Constant fighting and claims that your not a "True Fan" unless you read all the EU practically killed any enjoyment I had for Star Wars.

Liking a property is ok but maybe being able to talk with the entire fandom isn't such a great idea because all it does is lead to fighting and as the Rick and Morty Fandom showed us Riots over McNugget Sauce. 

I agree with most I've seen here. But for me it's how toxic the fanbase is. Everyone is allowed a voice and I like civil discussions.  But sometimes it's like to extreme  in the hate for one thing or another. Take forces for example. Someone comes out and says they hate it and dislike it and have no plans to get  ok. Next day they come back to complain more why they don't like.  Still not getting it. And so on. It's like looking for a car, telling the dealer you have no intrest in a model and then coming back the next day just to let him know it's not what you want. Same as if someone just likes classic sonic , as long as they aren't cussing up a storm of wht they hate modern for no reason outsides it's not 2d let them discussions can be civil but I think some have there legs to firmly planted in the fandom.

• Thumbs Up 1

this kinda thing happens all the time with like, every media fandom, dunno why that's pinned as a Sonic thing.

Because it's not, and the Sonic fanbase is what we're talking about. So, naturally, people are going to mention things like this about this fanbase in particular. That doesn't mean other fanbases aren't guilty of this, it's just...they're not the topic of the thread.

even still I'm certain 90% of folks who express an opinion in a very vitriolic and/or sarcastic way aren't trying to tell you that "It's my way or the highway and anyone who doesn't share my same likes/dislikes are all bad for it!" (Hell, believe it or not, some do it that way just to make the situation a little funnier).

1. I really don't think "it's a joke" is a good defense mechanism here. Especially when in something as unfitting and unexpected as a debate.

2. Even if this whole behavior is one giant "lolz" thing, it's the worst way to tell a joke. It's subtle, not obvious, and it certainly doesn't come off in a joking manner. That and it had gotten old ages ago. If it really was a joke, I doubt it would've lasted this long.

I'm sure it probably feels that way to you, but unless someone actually says things to that effect,

Okay, hang on for a second right there. People actually say things to that effect all the time. I've seen it on TSSZ, on here, on YouTube, Tumblr, Facebook...just about everywhere.

I don't really think the opinion is any more or less valid just cuz they made a lil snarky joke out of it or worded it kinda aggressively.

Where did I say their opinion isn't valid? This is implying that, yet again, I'm saying that "opinions are the problem" when I keep telling you that's not the issue here.

5 hours ago, Natie said:

I've certainly never seen anyone say "you're bad if you like/dislike this" seriously, but if you have then fair enough, I understand.

They don't outright say it, but boy is it heavily implied. Usually with remarks  like "Sonic fanboy" or "blind follower", "true Sonic fan", "you need standards", et cetera. I also see people on the positive side use terms like "complainers" and "haters", but nevertheless. The point is, it's there.

It just seems like you're takin' this stuff a little too close to heart.

Because I have no reason not to do so. I can't read minds. And I'm definitely not going to go into a debate and expect a comedy show. I have Sonic Boom for that. The fact this is the first time I'm even hearing "it's a joke" as an explanation for this behavior is a new one on me, though. If it really was the problem, man I would've heard this explanation a lot more often.

That said, this is coming from one of the biggest butt monkeys in the community. I don't mind that at all. If anyone is able to handle jokes, it's me. lol

Okay, hang on for a second right there. People actually say things to that effect all the time. I've seen it on TSSZ, on here, on YouTube, Tumblr, Facebook...just about everywhere.

Than as I said, fair enough. The thing is I usually see folks pull the "You're saying I'm bad!" thing whenever someone says something as simple as "This sucks", which is basically just a response of insecurity, so apologies if I lumped you into that crowd. 

Where did I say their opinion isn't valid? This is implying that, yet again, I'm saying that "opinions are the problem" when I keep telling you that's not the issue here.

I suppose you could work on your wording cuz "Opinions are ok as long as you don't express them a certain way" seems a pretty invalidating statement to me.

But it's fine, I get what you were trying to say now. You just find cocky aggressive fans annoying, right?

Ya probably had me over thinking it for a while there.

But it's fine, I get what you were trying to say now. You just find cocky aggressive fans annoying, right?

Pretty much, yes.

For me it is definitely their exaggerated passion towards the franchise, to the point that they can not take any criticism. I wants met one of those hardcore Sonic fans in one forum, where he started a community war against me to point were he have chased me out of the forum, and only because I made a review about the Sonic Boom TV series and only gave the show an okay rating. I wrote about the stuff I liked and stuff I didn't liked, but for some fans like him you have to like everything about Sonic. Even the bad stuff  like 06 or Boom.

Got another really annoying thing to talk about, and that is fandom behavior. Namely, that people act very obnoxious and self-righteous about Sonic games. There seems to be some sort of opinion police that has formed and that will pounce on anybody who disagrees with them about Sonic Forces. Its one thing to have an opinion on Forces, but my issue is with how people go about it. They act like they are the Sonic experts and caretakers, descending upon the fools and easily dismissed newbies who have yet to learn the one true path of the blue hedgehog, and who dare to support and like that which they do not or dare to criticize and dislike that which they like. And wait, we're not done yet! When the person you're attacking invariably gets annoyed and respond, report them and say that they're only the problem here so that they get the strike!

I don't want anybody to latch onto this as a way of smearing this or that side of the fandom. This is a problem with cynics and optimists, with fans of all kinds. It may even be a problem with you, or your friends, or a popular user, or a popular user you like. It could even be a problem with me.

Connected with that is lack of accountability. I absolutely despise it when people blame fans for this or that, as well as pressuring people who like the game to not buy to get Sonic on the one true path of the hedgehog or acting like they're not allowed to have fun or see good qualities within a flawed game. Fans are not buying Forces to spite you or to ruin Sonic forever. Fans do not make the games or marketing decisions or anything else of canonical note. Stop shifting accountability for bad content from the developers and publishers involved to try to control and demean fans you disagree with. Especially since the vast majority who make this argument expouse anti-corporate viewpoints. You want to show the man you don't let them control you, don't base your politeness towards those not influencing the acts of the corporation on their actions, words, and decisions. Be polite by default because you are better than Sega's management.

I also absolutely despise it when fans claim that all the hate and negativity is not their fault but rather Sega's or Sonic Team's or the quality of Sonic games. Fans have personal autonomy. Unless you can prove to me otherwise, and nobody really can, they are responsible for their own actions. This includes being polite and reasonable, even towards a person who you disagree with totally and/or think is a complete idiot. Or if nothing else, not acting passive aggressive and sniping people that disagree with you, then acting like its Sega's fault that you're acting like a passive aggressive douchebag. You do not require good content to act like a good person. You can criticize Sonic without using all these obnoxious tactics. And I know-- I've fucked up a ton in the past. I've said things I regret, associated with people I shouldn't-- some are still floating around on facebook. But I will never ever blame Sonic Team or Sega for them. All of those were my choices, no matter how bad they were, and I fully accept that.

Long story short: Sonic fandom, you are smarter than Boom Knuckles. You are sharper than Infinite. You are better at explaining things than Iizuka. You, as people, are more important than Sonic 06 and Rise of Lyric. Your friends are not pathetic nor does reliance on them have to hold you back. You are less monotonous than the worst of Forces's level design. You are less repetitive and irritating than Sonic 4's soundtrack. You know that striving for better is a good thing. But some members of you aren't acting like it when a Sonic game comes around that you don't like, and that's holding you back and hurting other needlessly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

The part of the fanbase who gives me shit for wanting more out of the games aside from Sonic, Tails and Eggman, Classic pandering, wanting the 3D games to actually be 3D, caring about the plot. 

I think some people can be too judgemental over other people's interests. That can range from just enjoying an unpopular Sonic game to being a furry. Debating is great, but some people get really emotionally charged and start to personally attack and hold a grudge over other people due to their interests and opinions. 

There's nothing wrong with liking any Sonic game or having a different opinion or being a furry. As long as you aren't harming anyone or being forceful, there's really no need for anyone to get upset or judgemental. 

• Thumbs Up 1

For me, I'd definitely have to say it's the constant hating/mocking/ripping apart of things that aren't objectively 'bad' as though they are, and as if they're somehow physically hurting someone. People become so enraged and angry and personally offended... by video games about a talking blue hedgehog. Like with most things on the internet, the outrage and reaction to things are VASTLY disproportionate to what's actually being discussed at the time. They're rarely equal, or anywhere close to equal.

Another big one is people (who aren't in the industry at all) who speak about what SHOULD happen in Sonic games, what Sonic Team SHOULD do... as if they have all of the answers. As if, if they were in the shoes of a game developer, they'd know all of the right things to do and would swoop in and save Sonic. Because to them, it's all so obvious. How can anyone not see that their way of doing things would obviously be the right way, and would obviously lead to success?

When people say that the people working on these games didn't try, or didn't put in any effort, or were lazy... when that's obviously, objectively not the case. Just because something isn't good enough for someone, or doesn't possess the qualities and properties that they themselves would like to see... that doesn't mean that the people trying to make this game are just sitting on their asses, not even trying, and not putting in genuine time, effort, and talent. There are plenty of games out there that I don't like at all, but I'd never claim that those games were lazily made just because it wasn't giving me exactly what I wanted.

And personally, the snark that I see coming from some people... is so incredibly off-putting. It's childish, unnecessary, and incredibly immature in my opinion. Being overly sarcastic, overly mocking things... it's just so silly and unneeded. And it comes from all sides of all issues, not just one.

• Nice Smile 1

Overreaction responses. Nothing is worse when a fandom completely self depreciates itself to when something happens that doesn't really provide a lot of positivism. When Shadow The Hedgehog was announced to be a certain way that is a departure, all the fourms, sites etc went nuts. I understand passions are strong...Though, you can make sure the responses that are given don't dwindle down to a meltdown of "Sonic is dead" or similar. Same with Sonic Next Gen. Though I can understand that since Sega hyped this game up so much that the final product was not representative to what we got. Criticism for 06 was pretty much fine even for the less competent folks.

What can you do..There will  be those that are mature while still being reasonable and those less.

Such is life.

I've mentioned this before, but the over abundance of memes has been pretty tiring lately.

Almost nothing is taken seriously anymore, everything has to be a joke in order to gain attention by certain types of fans.

16 minutes ago, Austroid said:

I've mentioned this before, but the over abundance of memes has been pretty tiring lately.

Almost nothing is taken seriously anymore, everything has to be a joke in order to gain attention by certain types of fans.

I'm a man who's a fan of a good meme

But I feel ya. I would give all those memes away for constant good sonic games

• Thumbs Up 1

There's quite a bit that annoy's me, but I guess I can go with being classified as a 'x style game play' fan. I like the Advance series, Adventures esque gameplay and whatnot. I talk about it/mention it and boom, some guy tells me 'but oh, THIS part was bad yadd yadda' as if me liking it is some sort've crime.

Can't forget the people who also hate a game when they haven't even played it. :/